Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Maaaan nintendo needs to get with the drat times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

F. Lobot posted:

Nintendo's new Youtube partner system is most likely the reason for this. Basically Nintendo will be more closely monitoring the videos they upload, and submitting PM videos for approval would be too risky.

Nintendo always backslides on their Youtube policies, so it's possible when the grip is loosened that Project M will return.

They don't even seemingly claim Smash Bros. vids unless the music on the stage is taken straight from the game it comes from. And since the first two were done by HAL and the latter two by separate third-party developers, they aren't even something they feel like they can legally give the thumbs up to regarding that system. I posted that thing about how they can't sell a CD for Smash 4, so the best they can do is that Club Nintendo promo one they advertised due to licensing troubles involved. It all makes it seem like they're more scared of getting in trouble over any IPs they don't fully own outright than anything else. Which seemingly is what the stage restrictions Smash 4 at EVO this year are most likely about.

While I can see them changing their stance on YouTube in general someday, but it'd take an entire overhaul of how the company and their legal arm works before I could see them being accommodating to modding beyond just intentionally ignoring them for both parties sakes.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Clash Tournaments says they'll continue to stream PM until they're forced to stop. Go give them a follow for fighting the good fight.

Twitch
Youtube

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it a good fight though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

All Smashs are ultimately worth fighting for

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Which seemingly is what the stage restrictions Smash 4 at EVO this year are most likely about.

what's this about? this is the first i'm hearing about any stage restrictions for smash 4 at evo, looking at their site they don't seem to have the rules decided yet

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Melee is cool. Project M is cool. Smash 4 is cool. Communities blow. People act as if everyone is turning their back on the P:M fans because they want to suck Nintendo's dick. People just don't want to deal with the hassle and risk of it getting shut down. GIMR is in the right to not want to deal with P:M since streaming has become his job and he's working closer and closer to Nintendo.

If I can get netplay set up right P:M will likely become the Smash I play the most but I'm not going to delude myself in thinking it has a snowball's chance in hell in taking the stage at EVO or anything. Just enjoy your fightgame jesus.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yes and no.
A worthy cause yes, but the other fighters have tainted the fight as a whole.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaubocks posted:

GIMR is in the right to not want to deal with P:M since streaming has become his job

A JOB? I dunno, those sound like SELLOUT words to me

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The bigger problem right now is that GIMR ran a campaign mostly based around his Project M streaming literally like half a year ago called #FreeGimr where he took donations and subs from people under the impression he'd keep supporting PM... only to drop it right around when Smash 4 came out. VGBC was built on PM support more than Melee support -- SAX was mostly a PM Weekly. And now they're just done with PM. That kinda sucks. Streaming is pretty much only GimR's job because PM players supported him.

VGBC and other community members and leaders have been especially loud about the OneUnit movement after Apex, and having a huge part of the community dropped because Nintendo support when most people in the community still aren't sure if they even want/care about the support of a developer who used to legitimately shun the community is sort of frustrating in this circumstance.

People are mad cuz of that, basically.

laplace fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 6, 2015

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It's not all bad. The most popular PM stream right now is talking about Ganon with two dicks.
http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd love to see the argument as to how it doesn't fall under Fair Use.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'd love to see the argument as to how it doesn't fall under Fair Use.

If copyright law were reasonable, it would.

There are many reasons why Nintendo can shut it down, but the biggest problem is that it's distributing copyrighted content. Stages, music, and moveset data ported directly from Melee. SFX for Roy and Mewtwo.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Roy and Mewtwo's movesets are very different between PM and Melee, both of them having been entirely re-animated and redone by the PM team. That being said, yeah, stages and music and some other data stuff.

Some people have brought up how PM is distributed in a hackable form as well, which Nintendo could see as promoting hardware modification, which breaks their TOS.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

laplace posted:

Roy and Mewtwo's movesets are very different between PM and Melee, both of them having been entirely re-animated and redone by the PM team. That being said, yeah, stages and music and some other data stuff.

Some people have brought up how PM is distributed in a hackable form as well, which Nintendo could see as promoting hardware modification, which breaks their TOS.

why the h*ll did they bring back Roy?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

His sword's on fire like half the time dude

Not even Ike can claim to have his sword on fire that much

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

His sword's on fire like half the time dude

Not even Ike can claim to have his sword on fire that much

Roy's not a Nintendo all star.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

roy's sword is a sword that lights itself on fire. wow

ike's sword has no such property, and ike simply creates explosions with his sheer strength of will.

yeah, roy is totally the winner here :rolleyes:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

roy's sword is a sword that lights itself on fire. wow

ike's sword has no such property, and ike simply creates explosions with his sheer strength of will.

yeah, roy is totally the winner here :rolleyes:

you've played the really bad fire emblem game that roy is from; you tell me: does his sword have the power of flame in that game? i doubt it. Roy never belonged in smash.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

technically it does but he can only use it twenty times before it breaks, and he doesn't get it until he promotes in the 3rd to last chapter of the game

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
roy is our boy, even if he's only the 2nd coolest roy in smash history

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

technically it does but he can only use it twenty times before it breaks, and he doesn't get it until he promotes in the 3rd to last chapter of the game

Case closed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mabels big day posted:

Neither is Robin.

*drops tha mic*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Neither is Robin.

*drops tha mic*

Robin's game sold the most copies in the history of the series.

If we question Robin we must then look to Ike whose games sold like poo poo

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

all fire emblem characters are beautiful and special

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

no one cuts my friends from the roster.... not on my watch

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sharrrk posted:

all fire emblem characters are beautiful and special

i would like to revise this:

all nintendo characters are beautiful and special

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

mabels big day posted:

Because he was in Melee.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

They brought him back because he had the potential for cool gameplay cuz his mechanics were cool and his dtilt was awesome. They changed him significantly in PM and now he's generally considered to be one of the most balanced characters in PM in terms of design. I think they also wanted to bring him back to show that PM wasn't just there to fix Brawl, but also to incorporate character rebalances in relation to Melee.

People really like Roy and Mewtwo, though, so that probably had something to do with it.

Roy is cool. He has fire. Sethlon is amazing with Roy. Sethlon is also part of the PMBR, so it makes sense that he was a focus character for PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkr4KZ7fb3s

laplace fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

please rewatch the melee intro. it clearly states at the beginning that they are all nintendo all-stars

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

sharrrk posted:

please rewatch the melee intro. it clearly states at the beginning that they are all nintendo all-stars

The Melee intro which does not contain Roy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Or Marth, incidentally

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

it doesn't contain luigi either

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mabels big day posted:

Roy's our boy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
his up-smash is really fun

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sakurai should make lucina faster and give her the old overhead-sweeping shield breaker

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

and give her the old overhead-sweeping shield breaker

actually yeah, that would be really good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

sakurai should make lucina faster and give her the old overhead-sweeping shield breaker

Can she get Aether too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can she get Aether too

they could probably modify her dancing blade attack and get away with calling that aether.

• Locked thread