Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

eXXon posted:

Well it has a dark theme and gmail doesn't so that's that. Also the interface is reasonably customizable.

Oh and Jorte will let you add any calendars you have through gmail without forking over for any upgrades. Unfortunately my exchange account comes with a disclaimer that it will allow IT services to remotely factory reset my phone if it suits them :psyduck:

Have tons of fun with your new Nine purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Gmail should include IMAP support. It does on most Android UI models, anyway.

You can sideload Gmail Exchange Services from APK Mirror. (It's run by Android Police and unless someone's really good at setting up signature collisions it's signed by Google. Actually I'm pretty sure they just upload stuff they rip from /data/app after installing it.)

Alternately you might want to give the new Outlook this time (actually published by Microsoft Corporation this time since they bought Acompli like they should have in the first place instead of leaving it to whoever the hell Seven are).
Exchange support is disabled in my gmail app since it's a Samsung device I think.

Also, the new Outlook app is globally banned in my corporate. The thing completely ignores Exchange security mandates, even when branded by Microsoft as official. It's hilarious. About every reasonable media outlet here is up in arms over it since it also runs your e-mail in the ~AMURICAN~ cloud while saving your passwords, and we don't trust anything that runs on US-owned things over here.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
We have this same Nine discussion like every two pages, how do people still do this. :psyduck:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ilifinicus posted:

Exchange support is disabled in my gmail app since it's a Samsung device I think.

Gmail Exchange support is disabled in most highly divergent Android UI models because they don't come with Gmail Exchange Services. Still, if that doesn't set it right then Something Is Up.

Not that any of this matters now because Nine is one of like two apps (Touchdown) that can save the rest of your phone from an Exchange purge and the only one still worth buying.

Android App Thread - Use Nine for Exchange

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whizbang posted:

We have this same Nine discussion like every two pages, how do people still do this. :psyduck:

Well like I said, I glossed over anything to do with exchange until I found out yesterday that my new email is an exchange account.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Gmail Exchange support is disabled in most highly divergent Android UI models because they don't come with Gmail Exchange Services. Still, if that doesn't set it right then Something Is Up.

Not that any of this matters now because Nine is one of like two apps (Touchdown) that can save the rest of your phone from an Exchange purge and the only one still worth buying.

Android App Thread - Use Nine for Exchange
Can't use it for Exchange because stuff like the remote wipe stuff is not optional, the Nine app is banned on server

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ilifinicus posted:

Can't use it for Exchange because stuff like the remote wipe stuff is not optional, the Nine app is banned on server

Then any phone attached to that Exchange server is a company phone. Respond accordingly.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 5, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Then any phone attached to that Exchange server is a company phone. Respond accordingly.
Negative. Any phone may connect, but you agree that by wanting to use your corporate e-mail account on your device you abide by security stuff like that. The ability to remote wipe your phone through OWA should you lose it is a convenience, not a hassle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilifinicus posted:

Negative. Any phone may connect, but you agree that by wanting to use your corporate e-mail account on your device you abide by security stuff like that. The ability to remote wipe your phone through OWA should you lose it is a convenience, not a hassle.
Positive. You are giving control of your phone to your company. If you *need* your email on your phone, they should be buying you a phone, paying for your service, or both.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Positive. You are giving control of your phone to your company. If you *need* your email on your phone, they should be buying you a phone, paying for your service, or both.
If they required it, yes. But having mail on your phone is a convenience you can choose to do or not, and they require you to abide by their security rules should you want to. You aren't required to have mail even with company issue phones.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

This.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What's a good Amazon FreeTime like profile/parental controls app that I can use on a regular Android device?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ilifinicus posted:

Man, I was wondering why Plume was just getting absolute garbage and just keeps scrolling my timeline FIVE WEEKS BACK IN TIME every time I open it... guess it's time to change to Fenix.
Yeah, I finally gave up on Plume recently and went to Falcon Pro 3, he's been updating it pretty quick and it's got to be getting close to feature complete now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilifinicus posted:

The ability to remote wipe your phone through OWA should you lose it is a convenience, not a hassle.

Just understand that if you are terminated or decide to leave the company, your phone may be wiped back to factory default before you hit the front door.

If you are fine with that, fine. Many of us are not. That's why security partitioning to maintain a separation of work and personal is a thing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Timely now lets you choose your own sounds, set challenges for snoozing, and has Google Now and Lollipop alarm integration.

Nice to see an update for it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

finally it shows up an alarm icon when set, thats been bugging me forever

the google now integration is nice to have back too, just need to select it when doing an alarm thing in now and it uses it from there on

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

effika posted:

Timely now lets you choose your own sounds, set challenges for snoozing, and has Google Now and Lollipop alarm integration.

Nice to see an update for it.

Does it still take like thirty seconds to launch the app?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What are you running it on? Its never been anything but instant for me

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

What are you running it on? Its never been anything but instant for me

Droid Maxx and now a Nexus 6. Maybe it was an ART problem?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using art since it appeared, and never seen a slow timely :shrug:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ilifinicus posted:

I'd love to hear your IT departments justification for that particularly boneheaded decision. If they're leaving OWA accessible it definitely can't be made on any security grounds.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

datajosh posted:

Yeah, I finally gave up on Plume recently and went to Falcon Pro 3, he's been updating it pretty quick and it's got to be getting close to feature complete now.

All it needs is proper streaming and I'd be set.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fenix is $4.49 in the Play store? Not sure if worth it as I don't read Twitter often so I'll just uninstall Plume as it's pretty hopeless at this point.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Alder posted:

Fenix is $4.49 in the Play store? Not sure if worth it as I don't read Twitter often so I'll just uninstall Plume as it's pretty hopeless at this point.

If you don't use twitter that much, just use the official app. It's free and is pretty good, but not customizable.

Fenix is worth it though, for me.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Google Now question:

I leave my tablet at home, i take my phone with me out and about. Both hooked up to my Google account, obviously.

I set a reminder on my phone for when I get home but it immediately fires on my tablet and I forget about the reminder in the first place and the whole thing is rendered kind of not good.

Is there no way to keep my tablet from firing reminders that I set for when I get home from my phone?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Alder posted:

Wait what. He upped the price on it? Could have sworn it was always $1

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SeaWolf posted:

Google Now question:
Is there no way to keep my tablet from firing reminders that I set for when I get home from my phone?
I have the same setup as you and it works fine for me. I have location reporting turned off on my tablet.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Question about spotify premium: Does it let you pick individual songs to play?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Wow, Timely is U-G-L-Y.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

dissss posted:

I'd love to hear your IT departments justification for that particularly boneheaded decision. If they're leaving OWA accessible it definitely can't be made on any security grounds.
I've said it before, but I'll mention it again. If someone steals your device or you lose the device, the ability to remote wipe the device is mandatory IF IT CONTAINS COMPANY DATA. Using apps that prevent this feature to work like Nine or the official Outlook app is as such against security policies for data coming into the wrong hands. In this vein, apps like Touchdown will wipe within its own app and remove any references to there having been an Exchange account on the device. Company data secure. Nine and Outlook just... ignores this directive. Which makes them a security threat.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ilifinicus posted:

I've said it before, but I'll mention it again. If someone steals your device or you lose the device, the ability to remote wipe the device is mandatory IF IT CONTAINS COMPANY DATA. Using apps that prevent this feature to work like Nine or the official Outlook app is as such against security policies for data coming into the wrong hands. In this vein, apps like Touchdown will wipe within its own app and remove any references to there having been an Exchange account on the device. Company data secure. Nine and Outlook just... ignores this directive. Which makes them a security threat.

....no, Nine does the same thing as Touchdown.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Whizbang posted:

....no, Nine does the same thing as Touchdown.
That's news to me! I believe it was banned while it didn't and was ignored since. I'll send a mail about it to the right people to get it reevaluated I guess.

edit: wait, does Nine support inter-app PIN unlocking of the ability to read your mail? Having a lock code for your device is also enforced unless your app contains locking mechanisms within itself to prevent access to company things, while also not leaking calendar and other data outside of itself.

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 6, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

You are simply wrong.

Nine, Touchdown, Outlook (I think Outlook but I'm certain on the other two) sequester company data in a place that respects a remote wipe. And I'm going slowly because it seems this is where you get lost: it only wipes the data the company owns!

Whomever told you that they "just ignore" a wipe is either lying or incompetent. If it's your IT department who told you, then you should especially be wary of following their policies because this is 101-level poo poo they're getting wrong so they're probably not much smarter when it comes to anything else.

Edit:

I guess there exists the other possibility which is that supporting Android can be so frustrating that the easiest way around it is to just set up policies and require apps that nobody sane would be willing to put up with and then they don't have to support it. Not unheard of and given the Android ecosystem a reasonable course of action to take.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 6, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

edit: wait, does Nine support inter-app PIN unlocking of the ability to read your mail? Having a lock code for your device is also enforced unless your app contains locking mechanisms within itself to prevent access to company things, while also not leaking calendar and other data outside of itself.

With the Nine implementation Calendar information shows in the stock Calendar app so isn't protected by the PIN or password on the app itself. Same goes for any Exchange contacts and the GAL.

I can see that being an issue for some organisations (it isn't with mine), but really this is a losing battle with Android - your Exchange server only knows what the client app tells it so really you need to enforce security policies the old fashioned way - tell your users what is an isn't acceptable.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

^^^
It's a lost battle already then. In my company you can't have any access allowed to ANY company data (including your work appointments) without the content being locked away in some fashion by a code or fingerprint or whatnot.

LastInLine posted:

You are simply wrong.

Nine, Touchdown, Outlook (I think Outlook but I'm certain on the other two) sequester company data in a place that respects a remote wipe. And I'm going slowly because it seems this is where you get lost: it only wipes the data the company owns!

Whomever told you that they "just ignore" a wipe is either lying or incompetent. If it's your IT department who told you, then you should especially be wary of following their policies because this is 101-level poo poo they're getting wrong so they're probably not much smarter when it comes to anything else.

Edit:

I guess there exists the other possibility which is that supporting Android can be so frustrating that the easiest way around it is to just set up policies and require apps that nobody sane would be willing to put up with and then they don't have to support it. Not unheard of and given the Android ecosystem a reasonable course of action to take.
Does Nine and Outlook respect encryption and lock code directives too? I know the Outlook app is banned on grounds of storing your login information in a not-local cloud and anyone who were found using the app got their accounts locked and passwords changed and had to show up at the support desk to get themselves sorted out. Nine I am within reach of getting unbanned given that they respect encryption/lock code policies.

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 6, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Edit:

We did a trial with Good mid way through last year. Really amazing what a lovely user experience it was (on iOS as well as Android) and it immediately got torpedoed when we asked a couple of fairly senior guys to use it on their iPhones for a week.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

^^^
It's a lost battle already then. In my company you can't have any access allowed to ANY company data (including your work appointments) without the content being locked away in some fashion by a code or fingerprint or whatnot.

So why are you leaving OWA open then? That's easily a bigger security risk than anything that uses EAS.

As for enforcing encryption I'm not even sure the standard Android Exchange setup will actually enforce that policy - will have a fiddle round on Monday when I'm back in the office.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

dissss posted:

So why are you leaving OWA open then? That's easily a bigger security risk than anything that uses EAS.

As for enforcing encryption I'm not even sure the standard Android Exchange setup will actually enforce that policy - will have a fiddle round on Monday when I'm back in the office.
OWAs only available if you're on company network

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Away all Goats posted:

Question about spotify premium: Does it let you pick individual songs to play?

Yes. Doesn't Spotify non premium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes. Doesn't Spotify non premium?

The phone version only lets you play albums and custom playlists on shuffle. The tablet version is the same as the desktop one, so full functionality with ads.

• Locked thread