Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Majorian posted:

\/\/\/yep, that too. Plus a lot of it was the English monarchy trying to claim the mantle of Roman hegemony as often as possible\/\/\/

Which is amusing since they conquered the last portion of the Empire to remain independent in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Naked, then. I get it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Majorian posted:

\/\/\/yep, that too. Plus a lot of it was the English monarchy trying to claim the mantle of Roman hegemony as often as possible\/\/\/

A game the rest of Europe wasn't too shy about playing, either.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Tomn posted:

A game the rest of Europe wasn't too shy about playing, either.

I don't know what you're talking about, I've never heard of something called the Holy Roman Empire!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Which Third Rome is Thirdest Rome?
-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria
-Fascist Italy (Only one to actually have Rome but also really poo poo)

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria

something something bolivia joke

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria

United States of America. :911:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria

Romanians are the true sons of Rome

Edit: But all are descended from Bosnian pyramid builders

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria

I say Russia - they're the most willing to blow up the rest of the world to prove it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria
Roma- oh someone already made that joke :smith:

(We need a dejected legionary smith)

In other news. The Malaysian founding myth apparently involves the king of Rome (!), a descendant of Alexander the Great (!!) travelling to China to unite these two great empires in marriage (!!!) and getting shipwrecked in Malaysia, only to save their people from oppression and found the ancient Malaysian kingdom.

1. Obviously this is the Thridiest of Third Romes.

2. Seriously though - are there other ancient peoples who :fap: to Rome as furiously? (Also; what did the people around them think of Rome? Do we have Greeks writing about those Latin upstarts usurping the glory of Hellas? Gauls furious that their children's pants will be stripped? Parthians boasting stupid people wondering into their desert?) (Do we have travelogues from the era?)

3. Semi-related: What did the Romans know about India? Trade, diplomatic embassies, reading up on furry ants in Herodotus? Did they think of it as the place where Alexander stopped, and thus the end-goal of any utopian/theoretical attempt to outdo him?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I just had a thought-how damaged would an ancient Olympian's feet be from running in sandals so much?

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 6, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Not that much? Your feet toughen up quite quickly, ask anyone who took up barefoot running in the last few years

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Probably not too bad, really. It's not like they had asphalt roads covered in nails and broken glass to contend with, and people who habitually run barefoot build up calluses pretty quickly.

I mean, you probably wouldn't want to lick their toes or anything, but they wouldn't be freakishly deformed wads of lumpy scar tissue, either.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Speak for yourself :agesilaus:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't run barefoot, but I typically don't wear socks at all for about six months a year, and the friction from shoes and walking barefoot causes totally painless and harmless calluses that probably look horrible to people who generally freak out about feet, but... You know, it's just skin. The feet can take quite a beating as long as you don't cut them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria

Rum, so everyone can have a little Rome inside their bellies.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's utterly bizarre to say that British actors voice Romans because the British monarchy wanted to be seen as a Roman successor state.

Much more obvious reason: Britain was the largest empire to exist in recent memory, as well as the defining empire in the American (the country making these movies) cultural experience. British actors playing Romans are usually evoking British imperial images and character types. Combine that with the British tradition of history plays, and you're done.

There is also the convenience of having another nation that speaks your language that you can have playing the imperialists, so you don't have to depict yourselves as imperialists.

Lastly, Britain is an old-world country, and America is not.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Disinterested posted:

It's utterly bizarre to say that British actors voice Romans because the British monarchy wanted to be seen as a Roman successor state.

Much more obvious reason: Britain was the largest empire to exist in recent memory, as well as the defining empire in the American (the country making these movies) cultural experience. British actors playing Romans are usually evoking British imperial images and character types. Combine that with the British tradition of history plays, and you're done.

There is also the convenience of having another nation that speaks your language that you can have playing the imperialists, so you don't have to depict yourselves as imperialists.

I would just blame Shakespeare's histories and the BBC. You see enough British guys playing Romans over time and you'll want to cast a British guy as the Roman in your show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Now that it's on Netflix, my wife broke down and decided to watch the last season of Spartacus. Really, I wonder how Romans practiced all that shaving and plucking without getting ingrown hairs all the time.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Now that it's on Netflix, my wife broke down and decided to watch the last season of Spartacus. Really, I wonder how Romans practiced all that shaving and plucking without getting ingrown hairs all the time.

Liberal moisturisation from routine application of olive oil.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
You see a lot of British actors in historical/fantasy settings because with British English it's easy to tell who's supposed to be a commoner and who isn't. If you couldn't see what was happening you'd still be able to tell that the dude with the Cockney accent is a peasant and the guy speaking in a more proper fashion probably isn't.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You see a lot of British actors in historical/fantasy settings because with British English it's easy to tell who's supposed to be a commoner and who isn't. If you couldn't see what was happening you'd still be able to tell that the dude with the Cockney accent is a peasant and the guy speaking in a more proper fashion probably isn't.

Vorenus and Pullo, for example, are literally imitating modern British squaddies, which is fairly obvious if you've ever met a squaddie.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FreudianSlippers posted:

-Ottoman Empire
-German Empire
-Bulgaria
-Russia
-Serbía
-Austria

The Ottoman Empire which pretty much claimed the whole legacy of Rome and used the title "Emperor of Rome" beyond all others.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

homullus posted:

I would just blame Shakespeare's histories and the BBC. You see enough British guys playing Romans over time and you'll want to cast a British guy as the Roman in your show.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just this. And since all that work was in English, it eventually transferred over to Hollywood via Osmosis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Disinterested posted:

Vorenus and Pullo, for example, are literally imitating modern British squaddies, which is fairly obvious if you've ever met a squaddie.

Likewise Caesar and Co. were pretty close to the various British officers I've met over the years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sbaldrick posted:

The Ottoman Empire which pretty much claimed the whole legacy of Rome and used the title "Emperor of Rome" beyond all others.

Yeah, they (well, them and the Seljuks) even swallowed a nontrivial amount of the ERE fairly intact.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, they (well, them and the Seljuks) even swallowed a nontrivial amount of the ERE fairly intact.

Mwahahahahaha.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Disinterested posted:

Maybe squaddies are just timeless. Many authors who have written of war seem to share things in common across the centuries.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Xander77 posted:

The Malaysian founding myth apparently involves

link?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Err... I'm basing this on the highly scientastic trailer a friend showed me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHSyLLiHRr4

May or may not correlate perfectly with actual ancient Malaysian mythology. Though I apparently misunderstood the reference to Alexander. :shrug:

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 9, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Xander77 posted:

Err... I'm basing this on the highly scientastic trailer a friend showed me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHSyLLiHRr4

May or may not correlate perfectly with actual ancient Malaysian mythology. Though I apparently misunderstood the reference to Alexander. :shrug:

:stare: related videos :stare:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I'm pretty sure the real founding story for all of these countries has something to do with Atlantis.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

JaucheCharly posted:

:stare: related videos :stare:

that's all based on your perverted search history

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure the real founding story for all of these countries has something to do with Atlantis.

You mean, Bolivia?

HalPhilipWalker fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 10, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Groda posted:

that's all based on your perverted search history

This video, dingus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKdC6pGb9II

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disinterested posted:

Kind of amusing that actual Roman Britain was the arse end of the Empire, really. It'd be like going a thousand years into the future and all depictions of historical Americans are Sarah Palin.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Kind of amusing that actual Roman Britain was the arse end of the Empire, really. It'd be like going a thousand years into the future and all depictions of historical Americans are Sarah Palin.

Yes, although curiously knowledge of the ancient Greek and Latin languages survived best in Ireland and England for the same reasons, which is why Charlemagne had to import monks from the British Isles to staff his clergy and kick off a new revolution in literacy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

Yes, although curiously knowledge of the ancient Greek and Latin languages survived best in Ireland and England for the same reasons, which is why Charlemagne had to import monks from the British Isles to staff his clergy and kick off a new revolution in literacy.

I think that Greek survived best in the Roman Empire. Not sure about the Latin though. Probably in the City of Rome?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Anglo Saxons strongly identified with Rome and had a strong academic / literacy / monastery culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

I think that Greek survived best in the Roman Empire. Not sure about the Latin though. Probably in the City of Rome?

No, in mainland Europe the only widely known Latin even in scholarly circles was venarcularised proto-Romance language. Rome was certainly not the epicentre of a form of Latin that would be of use in reading classical texts - the British Isles were. See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolingian_Renaissance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcuin

Or read a book about Carolingian Europe (Rosamund McKitterick is the go-to here).