Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wow, that's a really good answer. Thanks!

PittTheElder posted:

It was short

Jesus, you're right. I checked and Korea was only 3, but Vietnam went on for 19 years!? That's horrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WickedHate posted:

I'm curious about something. Why is the Korean War represented in media so much less then Vietnam? Granted, I'm not that into war movies, so I might be underestimating, but it seems like Vietnam is burned into pop culture and the public consciousness way more then the similar war that came before it.

I think it falls into this valley where it's not as clearly a moral pursuit (it was like this weird series of diplomatic tiptoe maneuvers until Marshall let Macarthur out of his kennel and all hell broke loose once China crossed the Yalu) as WWII but not as hosed up as Vietnam. On the other hand, M*A*S*H was set in Korea despite nearly everyone believing it was set in 'Nam for obvious reasons.

WickedHate posted:

Jesus, you're right. I checked and Korea was only 3, but Vietnam went on for 19 years!? That's horrific.

19 years is a drop in the bucket against all the war Vietnam has seen.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 6, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

I think it falls into this valley where it's not as clearly a moral pursuit (it was like this weird series of diplomatic tiptoe maneuvers until Marshall let Macarthur out of his kennel and all hell broke loose once China crossed the Yalu) as WWII but not as hosed up as Vietnam. On the other hand, M*A*S*H was set in Korea despite nearly everyone believing it was set in 'Nam for obvious reasons.

It was in many ways a show about Nam.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

stranger danger posted:

WWI question: if attacking fortified enemy trenches is clearly an incredibly costly proposition with little to no upside, why not just stay put and only counterattack portions of your own line that have been taken (i.e. when you have a really good chance of success)? I can see how doing that for the French would be politically unacceptable and that this would draw the British in, but what about the Germans? Were they just like "gently caress it, we gotta do something before the blockade ruins us"?

The Germans did do some of this. First, look at the difference in the German trenches Trin has posted - the Germans were planning to more sit back defend clearly. Second, my understanding is that the point of the Battle of Verdun was to do just that - force the French to attack spots they had no realistic chance of taking without getting massively bled.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

xthetenth posted:

It was in many ways a show about Nam.

Yeah, the original plan for the movie was to set it in Nam, but the producers decided that was too immediate and controversial. They set it in Korea to give it some temporal distance, but the issues it (and the subsequent TV series) dealt with were pure Nam.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

WickedHate posted:

Wow, that's a really good answer. Thanks!

It should be noted though that serious American involvement took place over a much shorter period, between Tonkin (1964) and the Paris Accords (1973). The famous political protest movement in the States corresponds to about that same period. Prior to Tonkin there were only some 16,000 US troops in Vietnam, compared to the half million that would be there by '68.

ulmont posted:

The Germans did do some of this. First, look at the difference in the German trenches Trin has posted - the Germans were planning to more sit back defend clearly. Second, my understanding is that the point of the Battle of Verdun was to do just that - force the French to attack spots they had no realistic chance of taking without getting massively bled.

What exactly the German staff had planned remains A Matter of Some Debate I believe. I think the prevailing opinion now is that Falkenhayn thought he could achieve a genuine war-ending breakthrough there, and then transitioned to saying that it was always intended to be a battle of attrition. Ultimately the Germans lost nearly as many men as the French did.

Speaking of which, what happened to Trin?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 6, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, I'm missing my daily dose of WWI!

Oh, and you'd think Americans would bring up Korea a lot more to support interventionism. I mean, you have Best Korea as a good example of what would have happened if US/UN had not intervened right there!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mortabis posted:

There's another snag here, which is that those 25 missions are not even remotely independent trials. If you survive 10 missions, your per mission survival rate is going to be higher than 96.2%. So really 38% is a probably a rather low figure.

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that the chance of survival increased after the first few missions but then dropped down again near the end of the missions.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Here, I found some tanks http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/27-images-captured-sherman-tanks-german-hands.html

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kanine posted:

drat, this reminds me that I actually really want a gritty modern war telling of the Eugenics Wars from Star Trek's canon. It would be loving amazing.

You should check out The Forgotten War. It isn't the Eugenic Wars per se (the canon version of that story is very much a product of the Cold War, and is mostly filled with secret agents and cover-ups rather than gritty battlefields) but it is definitely what you're looking for. Basically a Starfleet vessel and a Tarn battlecruiser commit a simultaneous KO, both land their escape pods on a desert hellhole of a planet but are thought to have been lost with all hands. Out of communication with their homeworlds, and extremely technologically limited, both keep fighting tooth and nail long after the war has officially ended. Picard enters the picture and tries to get them to stop fighting after a couple generations of this, and the Starfleet folks are all like, "Great! Give us combat phaser rifles and air assault craft so we can murder the Tarn bastards and get off this rock!" It's filled with all the gritty chemical warfare and bloody trench fighting that you might want, and has a pretty satisfying ending.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Forgotten_War

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The name of the lost Starfleet ship is the USS Verdun, that's pretty on the nose there.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

stranger danger posted:

WWI question: if attacking fortified enemy trenches is clearly an incredibly costly proposition with little to no upside, why not just stay put and only counterattack portions of your own line that have been taken (i.e. when you have a really good chance of success)? I can see how doing that for the French would be politically unacceptable and that this would draw the British in, but what about the Germans? Were they just like "gently caress it, we gotta do something before the blockade ruins us"?

This was pretty much their strategy in the West for the whole of 1915 and 1917 while they got stuck into Russia. There is at least a little debate over whether Falkenhayn's "yeah I was trying to bleed the French army white" thing for Verdun was actually an after-the-fact rationalisation of failure to break through. I'm not convinced, but IIRC the papers and orders that would conclusively answer the question are among those that were lost in the next war. The problem is that a lot of his subordinates wanted a breakthrough if they were going to fight, and the question becomes whether some of the things that happened, which can be seen as what you'd do for a breakthrough battle rather than an attritional one, had been planned by Falkenhayn, or if they were taking a Russian approach to their actual orders. (This is about the point where I get bored and start jonesing for some funny stories about e.g. Ottoman troops on Gallipoli literally stealing the Australians' barbed wire from in front of their trenches.)

The 1918 offensive wasn't just because of the blockade biting, although that was an important factor; they also suddenly had lashings of extra manpower available from defeating Russia and they had at most a year to do something positive with it before enough Americans showed up to balance it out. The whole chain of circumstances around Russia leaving the war and America joining it are such a hilarious clusterfuck from a German perspective.

(100 Years Ago resumes later today when I get back to my books.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 6, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

"Hey, freunde, maybe that's enough tracks..."

"HANZ DU SWEINHUNDE DU LAY MORE TRACKS ON THE BEAUTEPANZER BEFORE I REPORT YOU"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Trin Tragula posted:

This was pretty much their strategy in the West for the whole of 1915 and 1917 while they got stuck into Russia. There is at least a little debate over whether Falkenhayn's "yeah I was trying to bleed the French army white" thing for Verdun was actually an after-the-fact rationalisation of failure to break through. I'm not convinced, but IIRC the papers and orders that would conclusively answer the question are among those that were lost in the next war. The problem is that a lot of his subordinates wanted a breakthrough if they were going to fight, and the question becomes whether some of the things that happened, which can be seen as what you'd do for a breakthrough battle rather than an attritional one, had been planned by Falkenhayn, or if they were taking a Russian approach to their actual orders. (This is about the point where I get bored and start jonesing for some funny stories about e.g. Ottoman troops on Gallipoli literally stealing the Australians' barbed wire from in front of their trenches.)

The 1918 offensive wasn't just because of the blockade biting, although that was an important factor; they also suddenly had lashings of extra manpower available from defeating Russia and they had at most a year to do something positive with it before enough Americans showed up to balance it out. The whole chain of circumstances around Russia leaving the war and America joining it are such a hilarious clusterfuck from a German perspective.

Also, I think the idea of 'doing nothing' in the war makes sense only really in retrospect, though it was, in fact, tried by Trotsky when he didn't like the way Brest-Litovsk was going. Had Kerensky tried a passive approach, he might have had a more long-lasting government. That all being said, this was from a country that was trying to find a way out of the war.

France and Britain were looking to win the war. They didn't know, and couldn't really know whether the blockade would knock Germany out of the war itself, so they felt they had to try to win the war on the ground in France or in the various side theatres. There was a real desire to open up more fronts, but this was mostly unsuccessful.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm guessing Bewbies came up with his number by doing 100% - (3.8*25). Which is awesome, because it means that if they do 2 more flights--27 instead of 25--the chance of survival plunges to an astounding negative 2.6%. :)

I'm starting to finally understand F-35 :).

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

I don't know if this has ever been posted but it is circulating through the DoD right now and it is pretty funny. It is authentic as far as I know; it was released a few years ago.

edit - the best stuff starts on page 28 but the whole thing is pretty interesting.

"Make "speeches," Talk as frequently as
possible and at great length., Illustrate your.
"points by long anecdotes and accounts of personal
experiences. Never hesitate to make a few
appropriate "patriotic-comments."

...is the one we're all dying at

This is really good stuff. I didn't know that there were so many saboteurs around me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JcDent posted:

"Hey, freunde, maybe that's enough tracks..."

"HANZ DU SWEINHUNDE DU LAY MORE TRACKS ON THE BEAUTEPANZER BEFORE I REPORT YOU"

Why is there a balkenkreuz on a Firefly driven by a British crew? Some weird attempt at deception or a perpetual trophy tank that had switched sides twice already?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Japan had the best torpedo (early) in the war why did they failed at submarine warfare?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Trench_Rat posted:

Japan had the best torpedo (early) in the war why did they failed at submarine warfare?
It was due to their doctrine: subs were meant to go out and hunt enemy warships and not supply ships.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nenonen posted:

Why is there a balkenkreuz on a Firefly driven by a British crew? Some weird attempt at deception or a perpetual trophy tank that had switched sides twice already?

They are part of the WW2 Hipster Squad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Trench_Rat posted:

You might be thinking of a different torpedo - the Type 93 was a surface launched torpedo and it gets all the credit. Plus it was hands down the best torpedo throughout the war other than the catastrophic secondary explosions thing. However, the subs were using a baby version called the Type 95, which had most of the same benefits and drawbacks in a smaller package. Less punch on the warhead, though.

The reason that Japanese submarines weren't "effective" is doctrine. Japanese submarine doctrine was for the submarine fleet to operate in conjunction with light surface ships and long range patrol aircraft to whittle down the American battle fleet as it crossed the pacific. Then they would join in with the Combined Fleet for the mother of all furballs. It would have been pretty badass.

Even when that didn't work out quite as intended, the Japanese were still wedded to the submarine as an equalizing weapon that could help bring parity between the respective surface fleets. They did not view submarines as a primarily anti-commerce weapon - attacks on merchant shipping were somewhat opportunistic and were not part of a larger strategic policy. Japanese submarine warfare wasn't a total failure (Sunk the Wasp, laid up the Saratoga for a good whole, sunk a few cruisers and such), but certainly the relatively high quality submarines of the A and B class could have been employed much more effectively.

e:f,b but I have some more details or what not

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's hard to see how the Japanese could have established an economic blockade of the US, anyway.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm glad it's coming back! I always like seeing a new 100 Years Ago post every day. :unsmith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

"Ambush by snowballs from our seniors at the Military College in Québec Canada while moving desks after exams. We built a phalanx."

:black101: :canada:

Commanding Colonel: ".... You all pass..."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

It's hard to see how the Japanese could have established an economic blockade of the US, anyway.

Economic blockade of supply depot Australia or harassing supplies going to Guadalcanal would have been pretty annoying. Not game-breakingly so, but enough to slow down the advance into the Pacific.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

"Ambush by snowballs from our seniors at the Military College in Québec Canada while moving desks after exams. We built a phalanx."

:black101: :canada:

Commanding Colonel: ".... You all pass..."

Fail - it's a testudo..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fangz posted:

You don't need to establish an economic blockade of the US. You just need to establish a blockade of your primary theater of action. Anti-commerce raiding in the Solomons or even New Guinea could have had a large impact on the ability of the Allies to keep troops effectively supplied.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

It's actually plausible that this never happened. The picture of him supposedly preparing to fly shows him in cotton fatigues rather than a flight suit and there's no evidence that he has any flight training at all, let alone military. He was British infantry and commander of the Jordanian Special Forces, but there's no record of him being in any air force. All of the American sources repeating this story are right-wing papers, with the story having a "That darn dirty Barrack HUSSEIN Obama is a coward who doesn't want to fight terrorism!" slant. The story itself is probably the Jordanians just hyping up propaganda to make their government and armed forces look badass.
I can't remember what source I found it from originally, but they had pictures of him in the cockpit of a larger aircraft than a fighter. Possibly sheer propaganda alright, but still a fun story for the day or so it lasted.

ETA:

Nenonen posted:

Looks like some Canadians are examining a bunch of recaptured Shermans in the Netherlands going by the captions in the article and a dude pointing at a giant hole in the side of a turret. Also the author seems to think that the Marder is a

quote:

Strange Firefly – may be from a film?

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 6, 2015

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Japanese sub doctrine makes sense in the context of betting everything on one decisive battle. Like the rest of their war effort, once that battle was lost, any theoretical improvement in doctrine would only help them lose more slowly.

Its interesting that so much of Japanese planning seems cognizant that they were taking a low percentage shot, but not a lot of consideration on how to extricate themselves if it failed. Can anyone think of a good case where the opposite was true, i.e. a war plan fails miserably but the losing side still ends the war in decent position?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

P-Mack posted:

Its interesting that so much of Japanese planning seems cognizant that they were taking a low percentage shot, but not a lot of consideration on how to extricate themselves if it failed. Can anyone think of a good case where the opposite was true, i.e. a war plan fails miserably but the losing side still ends the war in decent position?

Nazi Germany :laffo:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Japanese sub doctrine makes sense in the context of betting everything on one decisive battle. Like the rest of their war effort, once that battle was lost, any theoretical improvement in doctrine would only help them lose more slowly.

North Korea? It depends what you mean by war plan and decent position.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

P-Mack posted:

One of the only ways to theoretically get that situation is a war between second rate or regional powers who are threatened with great power intervention.

It kind of depends on what you define as a "Decent position" - would you consider say Bulgaria in the second balkan war to have ended in a decent position?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah arguably the PVA in Korea hoped to actually drive the UN forces into the sea, failed but still managed to hold the line almost back where they started.

The Crimean War maybe? The Russians wanted to expand influence in the crumbling corpse of the Ottoman Empire, failed, but managed to avoid territorial losses.

Maybe the NVA? The Tet Offensive failed but they won the war.

War of 1812 maybe? The Yanks tried to invade us, failed, pushed back, but otherwise avoided significant defeat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

USA has gone into several wars with no realistic long term plans (Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq) but has miraculously survived those setbacks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fangz posted:

They wouldn't have needed to establish anything like an economic blockade (which would've been impossible anyway because the U.S. economy at that time, unlike that of Britain, Germany, or Japan, was self-supplying in terms of strategic resources except for a few things). Just focusing on attacking U.S. and Allied resupply convoys during the island-hopping campaigns or even attacks on convoys between Hawaii and the West Coast would've been more effective than their actual strategy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Japan should have sent a number of cargo ships ladden with explosives through the Panama Canal destined to commit a kamikaze attack against its locks and other merchant vessels on Pearl Harbor day.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wasn't there a troop ship of some type that participated in the d-day landings that actually was launched from Hampton Roads? I ask because I think it was in the previous iteration of the thread and a bunch of folks said no way and somebody actually provided an infographic.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Frostwerks posted:

Wasn't there a troop ship of some type that participated in the d-day landings that actually was launched from Hampton Roads? I ask because I think it was in the previous iteration of the thread and a bunch of folks said no way and somebody actually provided an infographic.

There were lots of ships used at D-Day launched from various places around Hampton Roads, since it was and is a major shipbuilding center.

Unless you mean they sailed from Hampton Roads straight across the Atlantic to take part in the Overlord landings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

Japan should have sent a number of cargo ships ladden with explosives through the Panama Canal destined to commit a kamikaze attack against its locks and other merchant vessels on Pearl Harbor day.

Japan should have not gone to war with the United States or any of the other Allied Powers in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Nenonen posted:

USA has gone into several wars with no realistic long term plans (Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq) but has miraculously survived those setbacks.

Scrawled on a DoD notepad:

"Just win, baby"

• Locked thread