Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kyrosiris posted:

Apparently some people believe that this game shouldn't be any easier than it is currently and anyone who disagrees doesn't "deserve" games like this.

(people like that should have their opinions summarily dismissed)

Eh, people can play however they want, it just seems like playing this game on easy mode is missing the point. Like going out to an obstacle race course and building little bridges over all the mud pits and putting little doors through all the climbing walls. I guess you can do it if all you want is a nice hike, but then why did you come to the obstacle course?

Eh, I guess I'm being an idiot. Whining about how other people choose to play games is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I guess you can do it if all you want is a nice hike, but then why did you come to the obstacle course?

Because the history behind the obstacle course is really neat and there's sweet-looking scenery along the way? :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that mod is pretty stupid, that's like if you modded in infinite fuel for FTL or something

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kyrosiris posted:

Because the history behind the obstacle course is really neat and there's sweet-looking scenery along the way? :v:

Yeah. I guess I'm just having the reaction of the fitness nut watching people on the new hiking trail and thinking "C'mon people! Challenge yourselves! You came all this way! At least try the climbing wall!"

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Did you also upgrade his weapon? Unlike most weapon upgrades, his first lowers his max damage (and raises his min, I think?) and dramatically increases his accuracy.

Or is that literally the change you see in his stats when you equip or unequip the charm?

Yeah, that is what the mask does for some reason (also in practice). It has other mods on it so it's not a completely useless ancestral but I'd rather see it working properly.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Lighter Dungeon mod doesn't seem that bad, just some minor changes here and there. It's not like he's doubling gold and XP amounts or the like.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Indecisive posted:

Mod would be cool if it changed all the art to sunshine and rainbows too

In the event that there's ever a Darkest Dungeon 2 I expect this to happen:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Has anyone who's beaten the game working on/already made a Darkest-er mod to up the difficulty?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There doesn't seem to be any point in levelling your heroes to level 5 or 6. You can buy the best equipment and skills at level 4, and when you're level 4 you can do level 5 dungeons without characters complaining(taking more stress damage).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Broken Cog posted:

There doesn't seem to be any point in levelling your heroes to level 5 or 6. You can buy the best equipment and skills at level 4, and when you're level 4 you can do level 5 dungeons without characters complaining(taking more stress damage).

Heh, that's actually good to know, thanks -- I was waiting on Level 5 guys to try the level 5 missions.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

That drat hag killed my precious Crusader who had like 6 positive traits because she kept picking on him so I never got time to heal him. He was the only dude I cared about losing :argh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
OK, this is really annoying:

I don't have any level 0-2 characters left, so there is no way for me to do that mission.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pwnstar posted:

He was the only dude I cared about losing :argh:

You practically signed the death sentence yourself, there.

You monster.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
My brother plunged on early access since I've only pledged for 2 copies at nomad level (this was before we found we could have raised the pledge :( by paypal), so we've been alternating using Steam family sharing. Unfortunately for him he also took all the bad luck and leaving me a relatively painless romp compared to his more X-com rage moments :smuggo:. Heck, he even had an adventurer dying of starvation on a scouting mission just before the last room. Meanwhile I just had a run at the wizened hag that ended in round 2 after 4 straight crits (grave digger and helion on hag, leper on cauldron and grave digger again on hag). Admittedly with almost fully decked lvl 4s, but thoroughly enjoyed that.

Regarding the sanitarium bugs, do anybody else experience if they commit people to treatment, save and reload and then finish a mission, the game would seemingly forget that the heroes were in for treatment?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm finding myself liking classes for their flavor bits and less so for their actual mechanics. Like, the Leper's little koans after critting, or the Grave Digger pep talks being weird compliments.

I really want to bring a Crusader for this very reason, but I can't stop dual Hellion now. Its too good.

Hellion all day every day.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Not sure if this is something anyone would be interested in, what with all the professional LPers apparently already tackling this, but I am doing an LP of my own on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROFhaUAYIfA is episode 1.

I've done 3 episodes so far. I'd actually like feedback on how I'm playing more than anything. I feel like there's a lot more I could be doing with all the money I have stashed.

edit: in case it matters, I get my sound levels ironed out a fair bit in episode 3.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 6, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Indecisive posted:

Mod would be cool if it changed all the art to sunshine and rainbows too

Notorious QIG posted:

In the event that there's ever a Darkest Dungeon 2 I expect this to happen:

I would LOVE if they added Whimseyshire as a 5th dungeon :allears:

Naturally it should be the most stressful dungeon of them all.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zaphod42 posted:

I would LOVE if they added Whimseyshire as a 5th dungeon :allears:

Naturally it should be the most stressful dungeon of them all.

Bonus points if the dungeon is too bright and you have to use something to make it darker.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Actually, it wouldn't even be that hard to modify the game's art. Its all just sitting there in folders.

You could just photoshop over whichever of the existing dungeons you want.

And if you got really clever with the JSON, you could probably even add a 5th dungeon....

Oh god if we could mod in some custom classes somehow that would be amazing. There's probably a ton of art for characters though.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually, it wouldn't even be that hard to modify the game's art. Its all just sitting there in folders.

You could just photoshop over whichever of the existing dungeons you want.

And if you got really clever with the JSON, you could probably even add a 5th dungeon....

Oh god if we could mod in some custom classes somehow that would be amazing. There's probably a ton of art for characters though.

Poking around in the files makes it look like it would probably be fairly easy to mod in custom classes, dungeons, and loot, although I'm not sure exactly where abilities are actually defined. Art modding is definitely very easy though, provided you have the tools and talent to do so.

e: and yes this means I expect a Goonest Dungeon mod within six months of the actual release.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

Poking around in the files makes it look like it would probably be fairly easy to mod in custom classes, dungeons, and loot, although I'm not sure exactly where abilities are actually defined. Art modding is definitely very easy though, provided you have the tools and talent to do so.

e: and yes this means I expect a Goonest Dungeon mod within six months of the actual release.

Yeah I imagine the actual skills are hard-coded somewhere, so you could only go so far with custom classes.

Dungeons though you could hack up the art and change the enemies and quests and stuff...

Originally the save data was in plaintext JSON, but as of a couple patches ago they encrypted it. (aww!) The game data is still in plaintext, but I wonder if that'll change before the end of Early Access.

Hopefully they'll support mods in some fashion. Steam Workshop support for this game would be amazing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, the only mod I'd like is one that allows dudes of any level to attempt dungeons of any level.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I lowered all the towns upgrade costs and mission supply costs, actually enjoying the game now. It's the same game, I just don't have to go on a million grindy gold/heirloom raids with throw-away parties to afford to upgrade things to only then have a chance at actually finish missions. Now every attempt is a real attempt.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, the only mod I'd like is one that allows dudes of any level to attempt dungeons of any level.

Yeah, I've got one more low level boss to take care of but all my reliable guys are too high to go chase him so I have to foster another group of nobodies until they prove they can handle it. And then there's this problem:

Broken Cog posted:

OK, this is really annoying:

I don't have any level 0-2 characters left, so there is no way for me to do that mission.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's not really a problem so much per se, you still have plenty of high level missions you could do, and you can keep upgrading your stagecoach if you need a bigger roster to do newbie missions still.

But I can understand if you would want to be able to send anybody on any mission regardless.

On the other hand, sending one high level 5 hero with a bunch of level 0-s would allow you to power-level newbies.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Just beat the hag witch or whatever it is. The champion hag. Nobody died, but everybody went nuts.

I think of the boss fights the hag is the shittiest designed, mostly because you HAVE to bring back row multi-hit strikers or you're totally hosed. Basically hellions, highwaymen, and occultists. You can't burn down the cauldron, and since it dumps your guys in the front row you essentially have to waste a turn if she eats one of your ranged guys. The best case scenario is she puts a tank in the pot and you just let them simmer there.

It's just horribly designed because the RNG can totally buttfuck you if she dunks your Highwayman or some other ranged DPS focused character, especially since ALL her attacks seem to cause stress and lead to you having to do the fight with everybody afflicted. Earlier versions of her were a lot less painful because she had less HP so you could burst her and give the RNG less chances to poo poo on your face, but when you need to burn through 130 HP or whatever it was, you're gonna get hosed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Haroshia posted:

Just beat the hag witch or whatever it is. The champion hag. Nobody died, but everybody went nuts.

I think of the boss fights the hag is the shittiest designed, mostly because you HAVE to bring back row multi-hit strikers or you're totally hosed. Basically hellions, highwaymen, and occultists. You can't burn down the cauldron, and since it dumps your guys in the front row you essentially have to waste a turn if she eats one of your ranged guys. The best case scenario is she puts a tank in the pot and you just let them simmer there.

It's just horribly designed because the RNG can totally buttfuck you if she dunks your Highwayman or some other ranged DPS focused character, especially since ALL her attacks seem to cause stress and lead to you having to do the fight with everybody afflicted. Earlier versions of her were a lot less painful because she had less HP so you could burst her and give the RNG less chances to poo poo on your face, but when you need to burn through 130 HP or whatever it was, you're gonna get hosed.

You *can* burn down the cauldron with an occultist and Bounty Hunter but those are still ranged strikers. It's a neat fun fight but goddam the poor Leper.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You *can* burn down the cauldron with an occultist and Bounty Hunter but those are still ranged strikers. It's a neat fun fight but goddam the poor Leper.

Honestly I think the ideal team is just 4 Hellions. Which is boring. And dumb. Also if you're spending 20 turns beating on the cauldron since it has like 20 hp and takes 1 damage per hit just so your front row can hit the bitch, you're doing it wrong.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I have to say, the boss I have the most trouble with is the Swine Prince/King, because if Wilbur decides to keep using End These Two, you can end up with multiple people on death's door every turn.

And then they get killed by Wilbur and that's just humiliating.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Hag's pot just needs a delay. If you break it, she shouldn't be able to throw somebody else into the pot for X turns.

Also their order should change occasionally, so that she's on the front row. Possibly whenever you break the pot.

That'd make several other strategies viable. Right now its just ranged blitz. Which is boring.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

I have to say, the boss I have the most trouble with is the Swine Prince/King, because if Wilbur decides to keep using End These Two, you can end up with multiple people on death's door every turn.

And then they get killed by Wilbur and that's just humiliating.

I usually found Piggy Smalls to be the easiest.

You can get an artifact for the crusader and a martyr's seal that decrease deathblow chance. Put a leper and crusader in front with those on and have them spam protect while your back row blasts Piggy's HP. Even if they get death's doored they have like 95% death's door resist with those items.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Haroshia posted:

Honestly I think the ideal team is just 4 Hellions. Which is boring. And dumb. Also if you're spending 20 turns beating on the cauldron since it has like 20 hp and takes 1 damage per hit just so your front row can hit the bitch, you're doing it wrong.

I think this is really the biggest problem atm. There are quite clearly some classes that are a lot better overall than others. Does anyone even use plague doctors the hell is that dweeb even for.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Can you break the empty pot? When it has someone in it it takes normal damage, but when it's empty it seems to only take one point of damage and it's restored to full health every time someone comes out of it.

if you could break the pot and force the hag into melee the fight would be faster and more fun, especially if she got different attacks in the front row.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

how me a frog posted:

I think this is really the biggest problem atm. There are quite clearly some classes that are a lot better overall than others. Does anyone even use plague doctors the hell is that dweeb even for.

He She can stun the two back rows every round!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

how me a frog posted:

The PD has a good bleed and can stun the back two spots, which is nice but not as useful as the Hellion's skill set, and the PD is much more fragile.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Lotish posted:

The PD has a good bleed and can stun the back two spots, which is nice but not nearly as useful as the Hellion's skill set, and the PD is much more fragile.

Plague doctor is poo poo because burst damage is king and she's all DoT focused. DoTs are nice supplemental damage sure but every turn you are waiting for that crap to tick down is another turn you're losing some precious HP.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

how me a frog posted:

I use plague doctors because I like their design and concept and don't really care about playing optimally. It'd be nice if their utility skills didn't fade so hard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It'd be nice if they could restore HP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Haroshia posted:

Plague doctor is poo poo because burst damage is king and she's all DoT focused. DoTs are nice supplemental damage sure but every turn you are waiting for that crap to tick down is another turn you're losing some precious HP.

Also it doesn't stack so well. If you hit somebody and bleed them, next turn you're just going to hit them. They already have bleed. I guess you prolong it one more turn? :shrug:

Its nice if you can blight and then go back to stunning or whatever, but PD does need a boost.

Thing is Hellion is kinda OP... but I love her. How about rather than a Hellion nerf we just bring all classes up to her level? :cheeky:

Lotish posted:

It'd be nice if they could restore HP.

They can cure bleed/blight! :eng99:

It would be kinda cool if the PD was a 3rd healer class, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

Also it doesn't stack so well. If you hit somebody and bleed them, next turn you're just going to hit them. They already have bleed. I guess you prolong it one more turn? :shrug:

Bleeds and blights do stack, though, I'm not sure if it stacks like 2 4 4 2 (assuming you land two ) or 2 4 4 4 but they do stack, for sure. I've seen bleeds go as high as like 9 on someone hit by three Rend for the Old Gods.