Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The idea of Todd being perplexed by JJBA is immensely funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

imo he should have less distractions from One Hit Wonderland because that is quite probably my favorite series of videos on the internet.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm still waiting for him to do "What is Love?" by Haddaway.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm still waiting for him to do "What is Love?" by Haddaway.

This would be an excellent choice, as What Is Love is one of the best-remembered pop songs of the 90's for a goddamn good reason.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I think I mentioned it in the previous thread, but I'm honestly shocked he hasn't covered Tommy Tutone's Jenny/867-5309 yet. I'd also particularly like to see him do Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky and Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm most keen to see him cover "Our House" by Madness. "Rapper's Delight" would be great to see too, because his video would probably be shorter than the song itself.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised he hasn't done Ice Ice Baby yet.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
He's outright stated that Vanilla Ice will never be covered because he isn't actually a one-hit wonder.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ninjahedgehog posted:

Does Vanilla Ice really count as a one hit wonder? There's not much there, but he did insane sales and had at least two or three other songs that charted. Also, Ninja Rap.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

One Hit Wonderland is the absolute best. I like Todd ranting and raving about music in general, but I really love learning all the surrounding history and craziness.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm most keen to see him cover "Our House" by Madness. "Rapper's Delight" would be great to see too, because his video would probably be shorter than the song itself.

Pretty sure he did Rapper's Delight.

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Pretty sure he did Rapper's Delight.

Nope. He did "Ghetto Superstar," though-- are you thinking of that?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Ronk a Donk posted:

Nope. He did "Ghetto Superstar," though-- are you thinking of that?

Maybe I'm just conflating it with the Drunk History episode for some reason.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm most keen to see him cover "Our House" by Madness.

Not sure if that counts as a one hit wonder as they did nail two top 40 songs in the US and a bunch more in the UK.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ninjahedgehog posted:

Vanilla Ice is not a one-hit wonder. He got famous enough to be in a Ninja Turtles movie and have a movie of his own.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Vanilla Ice is not a one-hit wonder. He got famous enough to be in a Ninja Turtles movie and have a movie of his own.

Plus he had multiple hit singles.

He was definitely a flash-in-the-pan act, but he also sold 15 million copies of his first album.

Seriously, early 90s, what was wrong with you? Bush Sr. AND Vanilla Ice?!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Now see, if Todd does another pop-star movie, it needs to be Cool as Ice.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm most keen to see him cover "Our House" by Madness.

You can't really justify Madness, sure Our House was their only song to chart in the US but they've had ten top five hits in the UK . It would be like doing Wonderwall by Oasis, it was their only hit in the US but they were megastars in the UK.

EDIT: I was going to use Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve but it turns out that wasn't even a top ten hit in the US.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

The Rifftrax on Cool as Ice is freaking solid, by the way.

The movie itself is kind of... seriously, it's basically just lifts the plot and even several of the characters from The Wild One with Ice in the Brando role. It's always weird when these pop star projects try to construct a plot.

Also, seriously, I have no idea what was up with Nintendo's idea of perpetuating themselves in film in the early 90s, but they had to sign off on the son playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for several minutes. I mean, it's still not a patch on the Super Marios Bros. movie, but really Miyamoto, Lincoln, Yamauchi, whoever it was? Whatever, it was several minutes of the film that's just the soundtrack and sound effects of Super Mario Bros. 3, which I'd much rather hear than anything by Vanilla Ice.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Testekill posted:

You can't really justify Madness, sure Our House was their only song to chart in the US but they've had ten top five hits in the UK . It would be like doing Wonderwall by Oasis, it was their only hit in the US but they were megastars in the UK.

Ehh. Oasis falls more into the Jimi Hendrix- type of one hit wonders. I'm pretty sure Todd has reviewed guys who were stars overseas before.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

johnfw50 posted:

Ehh. Oasis falls more into the Jimi Hendrix- type of one hit wonders. I'm pretty sure Todd has reviewed guys who were stars overseas before.

But ten top five hits? That's very difficult to justify. If it was just they had one other song that did really well then that would be fine but not to the degree of ten over five years.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Todd's just saving Barbie Girl for a rainy day. That and Whoomp There It Is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rebochan posted:

Plus he had multiple hit singles.

He was definitely a flash-in-the-pan act, but he also sold 15 million copies of his first album.

Seriously, early 90s, what was wrong with you? Bush Sr. AND Vanilla Ice?!
Yeah that's like me saying that he should do Faith No More's "Epic" when they still had a lot of hits afterwards albeit not in the US

I just like seeing how much history Todd digs up for his videos and Faith No More's is pretty interesting

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I know people have a sour opinion of Doug and Channel Awesome right now, but I was curious to see how he was going to end his Matrix month. I gotta say, the plot twist at the end was surprising.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

My newest Animorphs video is up, this one marking the return on the Helmacrons, villains with such little dignity the Power Rangers wouldn't take them seriously.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Steal My Sunshine by Len would be a great choice. I'm a little biased because they're from my country but they were an interesting band. Seeing Todd try to decipher the lyrics would be funny too. I really don't think anyone knows.

Tarzan Boy would be awesome too. A neat little thing I learned recently is that the guy in the video apparently wasn't the actual singer. Said guy never confirmed or denied it (he died back in the mid nineties) but considering Italian dance music's track record with lip syncing, I can totally believe it.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

poparena posted:

My newest Animorphs video is up, this one marking the return on the Helmacrons, villains with such little dignity the Power Rangers wouldn't take them seriously.

You know, if the updated reprints had gotten this far, this would probably have been the single most difficult book for Scholastic to deal with. First off, because hardly anyone uses disposable film cameras anymore, and if they changed it to a camera phone or digital camera, there's the question of why the kid didn't upload the picture to his Facebook page or whatever either immediately or (if the phone/camera couldn't directly upload stuff) as soon as he got home. So the entire premise just can't work without explicitly 90s technology. Even The Warning could theoretically have been made to work with heavy rewriting, and they could have replaced the crash-a-plane-into-a-skyscraper scene in the Weakness with something different, but I can't see any way to make this book work. Maybe they would have just thrown up their hands and skipped this book. Not that it would have been much of a loss.

In any case, I bet the people at Scholastic are very glad that they never had to make a decision about this.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

Steal My Sunshine by Len would be a great choice. I'm a little biased because they're from my country but they were an interesting band. Seeing Todd try to decipher the lyrics would be funny too. I really don't think anyone knows.

He's mentioned that one before when talking about how the late 90s pop music starting getting really upbeat after grunge faded. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he covers it in the future.

I was going to suggest Lit's My Own Worst Enemy but I think they had more than one hit song thanks to being on movie soundtracks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

Not sure if that counts as a one hit wonder as they did nail two top 40 songs in the US and a bunch more in the UK.

Testekill posted:

Sure, but in the past he's chosen bands based on their American rather than international profile. Dexys Midnight Runners, for instance, had several hits in the UK, including two number-ones and a couple that were hits after "Come On Eileen", but in America, it's just "Come On Eileen", and that's why they were on OHW.

To be honest, this seems rather like the inverse of the interminable "When is Todd going to do Jimi Hendrix?" stuff that I remember from the Channel Awesome forums; as I believe Todd has said before, the approach he uses is to cover bands who are known for one big song even if they had a couple of others which didn't make as much of an impact (e.g. Mr Big), not that they only had one song that charted.

Oasis are a difficult example, I suppose, because while "Wonderwall" was (as far as I'm aware) their only major Hot 100 hit, they did very well on the Modern Rock radio chart.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yes and while I can't remember the video, I am petty sure he did outright say that what matters are the US charts. Which means I can probably look forward to 99 Red Balloons at some point.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

He's mentioned that one before when talking about how the late 90s pop music starting getting really upbeat after grunge faded. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he covers it in the future.

I was going to suggest Lit's My Own Worst Enemy but I think they had more than one hit song thanks to being on movie soundtracks.

Lit had a couple of tracks that did well on the alternative charts. Apparently only hit 51 with Own Worst Enemy though.

EDIT: I would like to see a OHW on Steal My Sunshine though. I don't think I could think of a better song that summed up the late 90s in popular music except for You Get What You Give.

Edit 2: I'd also love for him to do Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground. I still love that song so goddamn much.

EDIT the Third: He might also be able to do Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. It was prevented from charting in the US at the peak of its popularity thanks to it not having a physical release over there and peaked at 42 long after its popularity had faded. However it was number 1 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart for 11 weeks so I'd classify that as a hit.

The last edit I promise: I was also going to suggest a Hunters & Collectors song but they charted better in the US than in Australia. They had two top ten hits in the US while they had none in Australia.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 4, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

Oasis are a difficult example, I suppose, because while "Wonderwall" was (as far as I'm aware) their only major Hot 100 hit, they did very well on the Modern Rock radio chart.

Oasis is sort of a weird case this side of the Atlantic, because while they only had one technical hit in Wonderwall, I feel like most people here are aware of their titanic success in the UK; or at least aware that they do have more songs, it's just that none of them charted here. And because Todd has said he fudges the "rules" if a band has a legacy of only one hit, then the opposite would also hold (i.e. the Jimi Hendrix rule).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Would American Pie (the song) qualify?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would American Pie (the song) qualify?

Probably.

Speaking of, I know I've got awhile to wait, but I'm eager to see him tear into The Next Best Thing just because it also spawned that awful American Pie cover.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

OldMemes posted:

After watching the first movie nights, I've found mysellf humming "you got arrested!, you got arrested! because you're an alcoholic! " a few times.

I liked the first episode. Maybe it needs to be a little more scripted to tighten up the pacing a little, but I thought it was a fun relaunch of Lupa's show.

Thanks! The second ep is up on Patreon and I think it's edited a bit tighter. Since I did the review with Phelan there's a bit more energy too, so hopefully the vids smooth out as they go.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks! The second ep is up on Patreon and I think it's edited a bit tighter. Since I did the review with Phelan there's a bit more energy too, so hopefully the vids smooth out as they go.

Yeah, your first episode was good. It's gonna take time to get use to the non-scripted format though. Also maybe try and screen test some of the accessories you wear? Because of the glare off it, I didn't realize the pin on your dress was suppose to be a ninja until halfway through the video.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

INH5 posted:

You know, if the updated reprints had gotten this far, this would probably have been the single most difficult book for Scholastic to deal with. First off, because hardly anyone uses disposable film cameras anymore, and if they changed it to a camera phone or digital camera, there's the question of why the kid didn't upload the picture to his Facebook page or whatever either immediately or (if the phone/camera couldn't directly upload stuff) as soon as he got home. So the entire premise just can't work without explicitly 90s technology. Even The Warning could theoretically have been made to work with heavy rewriting, and they could have replaced the crash-a-plane-into-a-skyscraper scene in the Weakness with something different, but I can't see any way to make this book work. Maybe they would have just thrown up their hands and skipped this book. Not that it would have been much of a loss.

In any case, I bet the people at Scholastic are very glad that they never had to make a decision about this.

Really, as the reprints went on, these issues would have just built up and compounded each other till the point of being completely unmanageable. The main problem with the reprints was that while they attempted to update the slang, pop culture and technology from 1996 to 2011, they actually did very little to update the context of the series. When Animorphs originally came out, we were in our first post-Cold War decade, the economy was doing well, we had a cool Democratic president who played the saxophone, computers and the internet were starting to be cool and mainstream, Americans were, typically, feeling pretty good about themselves and the world around them. Plenty of exceptions, of course, the 90s wasn't a bed of roses, but there was certainly more trust in government and society back then compared to 2011. That's why the alien invasion in the series works so well, it's a cancer hiding at the heart of a Lego Movie "everything is awesome" culture.

(Incidentally, responding to the 90s was the reason we got The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Rob Liefeld and the general grimdark aesthetic, for better or for worse.)

An Animorphs story post-9/11, post-Bush-administration, post-Iraq-war, post-recession just can't work the same way, people don't have the same level of trust for a secret alien invasion to pray upon. No amount of changing VCRs to DVD players is going to reflect that. The reprints changed the wallpaper to something more modern, but the actual stories were still made for 90s readers. The reprints would have needed a serious rewrite from the ground up to actual be politically and culturally relevant. An honest-to-god reboot, or maybe a sequel series, would have been a more manageable plan, and maybe would have grabbed more young readers and not tanked in the sale so much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
MrBtongue has a new video out about Django Unchained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvEgETtPBDI

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
:siren: Paging Jsor :siren:

ToddintheShadows now has a Patron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I made another Sonichu review, a bit on the quick and dirty side (no pun intended). Bad Reviews 15.5: KCWC Epilogue

• Locked thread