Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

DJExile posted:

They seem to be basically making m4/3 equivalents of every 4/3 lens they had, for better or worse. There was a 4/3 fisheye that almost nobody bought.

THey've also announced a sealed 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6, which is probably nice for travel, but I haven't been impressed with most lenses that keep huge ranges like that.

Yeah, but gently caress them for announcing it today and releasing it this summer while the 7-14mm and the 300mm pro lenses STILL haven't been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:agreed:

I was really looking forward to that 300

Also now I'll have to sell my mark 1 and get the new hotness, dammit.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

He wasn't joking, it really is a red dot sight lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilRic posted:

What is the red viewfinder thing?

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/olympus_ee_1_dot_sight/

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Holy snap.. I need a red dot sight for my X100S.

And yes, I know it's for tele stuff, but I don't care.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

:agreed:

I was really looking forward to that 300

Also now I'll have to sell my mark 1 and get the new hotness, dammit.

I believe that's due out this spring or summer.

Also that red dot is amazing and silly. I must have it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That sensor shift thing is pretty darn cool. I'd love to see how practical it is for landscapes.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'd assume the 63 MP RAW mode will be competitive with my Merrills, and that would be incredible. That kind of quality in a compact, fast, weather-sealed camera, available on-demand as long as you have a tripod with you... Pretty loving brilliant.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Hm, this makes me want to pick up a cheap Mark 1 as I quite often won't bother to bring along my DSLR.... I'm a-GASing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Helicity posted:

That sensor shift thing is pretty darn cool. I'd love to see how practical it is for landscapes.

It's apparently trash if there's any movement at all in the scene, but seems to work as advertised if you have a perfectly still scene. http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2015/02/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii-review.html has some good examples at the end.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

It's apparently trash if there's any movement at all in the scene, but seems to work as advertised if you have a perfectly still scene. http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2015/02/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii-review.html has some good examples at the end.

Which renders that mode all but useless for me, still kind of cool.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

That reviewer is very tepid about hyping the feature but those sample shots he took of food were completely as advertised and definitely worth hyping. It's a cool feature.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilRic posted:

What is the red viewfinder thing?

The Yakuza part of Olympus requested it.

Mr. Despair posted:

Impressive macro and tele photos.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Sorry if this gets posted constantly, but didn't see it in the last few pages.
Been thinking about getting a mirrorless for a while; something that I can toss in a backpack and just keep handy. I definitely want physically controlled aperture and shutter speed in manual mode (instead of having to use a touchscreen or going through menus or whatever), but that's pretty much my only real requirement. What are the good options in the <~$600 range?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lhet posted:

Sorry if this gets posted constantly, but didn't see it in the last few pages.
Been thinking about getting a mirrorless for a while; something that I can toss in a backpack and just keep handy. I definitely want physically controlled aperture and shutter speed in manual mode (instead of having to use a touchscreen or going through menus or whatever), but that's pretty much my only real requirement. What are the good options in the <~$600 range?

Two questions:

What are you shooting, and what's in the backpack with it? There are some well-built camera bodies out there but if it's getting tossed around with books and poo poo without protection, you can definitely damage things.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

DJExile posted:

Two questions:

What are you shooting, and what's in the backpack with it? There are some well-built camera bodies out there but if it's getting tossed around with books and poo poo without protection, you can definitely damage things.

I want to be able to take a fairly large variety of shots: events, landscapes, dogs, whatever looks interesting. I want a bit of low light ability, enough to get a building with cool lighting or maybe something at a concert or something (not sure if that's asking too much). Video would be nice but not a hard requirement.
In my backpack I most commonly have Laptop+charger, maybe a 3DS, and a few other things. It's smallish pack (holds my fullsize DSLR+case or laptop, but not both), so things aren't really gonna get churned around too much.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Try to find a good deal on a Fuji X-T1X-E1 with the awesome 18-55mm kit lens. It was going new for $600 during the holidays, but you can probably still find it for less than that used.

-edit: fixed, meant X-E1

Animal fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 6, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I do not believe you that the top of the line Fuji kit was going on sale for 50% off. Maybe the X-E1/2 or the X-A1.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Doing a bit of browsing around; it seems like my options are the Fuji's X-E1/X-M1, Olympus's E-PL7, Sony's A5100, and Nikon's V2 (if I use ebay).

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Do you need to be able to swap lenses? Fixed lens cameras are small as heck. Check out the panasonic lx100 or Sony rx100iii. Or a fixed focal length camera(no zoom) like fuji x100(used!) or Ricoh GR.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lhet posted:

Doing a bit of browsing around; it seems like my options are the Fuji's X-E1/X-M1, Olympus's E-PL7, Sony's A5100, and Nikon's V2 (if I use ebay).

Take the XE1 over the XM1, it supports mike input, time lapse control input a few other things you don't see on the spec sheet.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

feigning interest posted:

Do you need to be able to swap lenses? Fixed lens cameras are small as heck. Check out the panasonic lx100 or Sony rx100iii. Or a fixed focal length camera(no zoom) like fuji x100(used!) or Ricoh GR.

Given the variety of things I'm looking to use this for, I don't think a fixed focal length is what I want. I kinda want the lens to be swappable, but given that I don't really own many lenses I suppose I could manage without. Size isn't really a huge consideration though. I just need to be able to store it it my bag or jacket pocket; I've handled the V2 and it's just fine sizewise, even though I think it's on the bigger end.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I highly recommend the Panasonic LX100 for your needs.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Please don't buy a Nikon V2, it's horribly overpriced for what it is. The Pentax Q is at least cheap if you need a micro mirrorless camera.

You sound like you'd get more out of an RX100m3 or the Panasonic LX100. If you really want interchangable lenses, get a used A6000 and either kit lens, the X-M1, or the E-PL7.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

A used olympus em-5 should fit into that price range (the body is 600 new now) and it will definitely stand up to being tossed around in a bag, mine has gone to hell and back without skipping a beat. Pretty compact with one of the body cap lenses or primes thrown on it too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lhet posted:

I want to be able to take a fairly large variety of shots: events, landscapes, dogs, whatever looks interesting. I want a bit of low light ability, enough to get a building with cool lighting or maybe something at a concert or something (not sure if that's asking too much). Video would be nice but not a hard requirement.
In my backpack I most commonly have Laptop+charger, maybe a 3DS, and a few other things. It's smallish pack (holds my fullsize DSLR+case or laptop, but not both), so things aren't really gonna get churned around too much.

get whatever m4/3 body you like (I like Panasonic, but that's due to familiarity more than anything. Olympus' options might fit your preferences better), then stick a Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake prime on it and go to town. My GF1 + 20mm prime has done me great service for years. About the only thing it isn't good for is birds.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Elliotw2 posted:

Please don't buy a Nikon V2, it's horribly overpriced for what it is. The Pentax Q is at least cheap if you need a micro mirrorless camera.

You sound like you'd get more out of an RX100m3 or the Panasonic LX100. If you really want interchangable lenses, get a used A6000 and either kit lens, the X-M1, or the E-PL7.

The V2 fell into my consideration because on ebay it's ~$430 with the 10-30 lens, which feels more reasonable for what it is.

I'll start looking at the others cameras mentioned and see which ones seem good. Is Ebay the best way to go for most of these?

e: The LX100 does rather good thus far. Will probably just visit a camera store tomorrow to handle a few options before moving forward.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 6, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Keh is probably the best place. The prices are similar to ebay, but keh's bgn grade is what most people would consider "good"

Plus they have great support if you need it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lhet posted:

The V2 fell into my consideration because on ebay it's ~$430 with the 10-30 lens, which feels more reasonable for what it is.

I'll start looking at the others cameras mentioned and see which ones seem good. Is Ebay the best way to go for most of these?

e: The LX100 does rather good thus far. Will probably just visit a camera store tomorrow to handle a few options before moving forward.

The Nikon V2 is poo poo, don't buy it.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Xabi posted:

Hm, this makes me want to pick up a cheap Mark 1 as I quite often won't bother to bring along my DSLR.... I'm a-GASing.
Done. I have no self-control.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alot of camera news today.

Canon EOS M3, its basically the NEX-5n version of EOSM. Still no lens support, still oversea only, and still dead.

Pentax/Ricoh announce upcoming FF DSLR. I got to give it to Pentax to stick to the K-mount. Ricoh want people to take their FF news serious they even announce the new FF pro zoom.

So that means Sony is selling the FF (36mp) sensor to the small players now. Fuji can get their hands on the FF sensor if they want to, I am just saying.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Alot of camera news today.

Canon EOS M3, its basically the NEX-5n version of EOSM. Still no lens support, still oversea only, and still dead.

Pentax/Ricoh announce upcoming FF DSLR. I got to give it to Pentax to stick to the K-mount. Ricoh want people to take their FF news serious they even announce the new FF pro zoom.

So that means Sony is selling the FF (36mp) sensor to the small players now. Fuji can get their hands on the FF sensor if they want to, I am just saying.

I thought Fuji's "thing" was their proprietary sensor design. If they start using a standard Sony sensor, they're going to have to start putting moire filters on their lenses, or running two separate lens lines - one full frame and one crop.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Isn't the bigger issue is that they'd have to design an entirely separate line of lenses, because the XF lenses are designed for the XF mount/crop sensor? I'll admit I'm not really up on how lenses and sensors interact w/r/t crop vs full frame, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Isn't the bigger issue is that they'd have to design an entirely separate line of lenses, because the XF lenses are designed for the XF mount/crop sensor? I'll admit I'm not really up on how lenses and sensors interact w/r/t crop vs full frame, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As long as the mount is the same, the only thing that changes is the effective focal range. Canon lenses mount to both their crop body dslrs and their FF ones.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Some lenses are only designed to project a dx-sized image onto the sensor, and mounting a dx lens into an fx camera will give a sharp dx-sized center area and then vignetting or distortion on all of the outside edges.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Linedance posted:

I thought Fuji's "thing" was their proprietary sensor design. If they start using a standard Sony sensor, they're going to have to start putting moire filters on their lenses, or running two separate lens lines - one full frame and one crop.

Fuji's sensor is just Sony sensor with different non-bayer color pattern. I was thinking full frame x100.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
If I am looking for a mirrorless camera, for having on me as much as possible (small size is ++), and I know that if I got a normal mirrorless I'd just toss a prime on there...I should just get a x100 series camera, right? Used x100s? I would describe my photography interest as "General walking around".

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yes x100 is the perfect walking about camera.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'd go for a Ricoh GR. Or dirt cheap option with same quality but maybe slightly worse handling: Nikon Coolpix A.

Or, if you're gonna do all your walking in great weather, get a Sigma DPx Merrill and be blown away by the IQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a GR myself and picked it after renting both it, the LX100, and the X100s—it's just super nice having a walk around camera that's P&S sized but has a great sensor/lens.