Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man Suns you gotta do better than this. Come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

PantsFreeZone posted:

All the inflammatory stuff I saw was that he added "...this might not be for her." at the end of his complaints. Using a pronoun is having a bigger effect than one would think.

Maybe he said worse. I dunno.

No one says that about male referees.

It's a dumb as poo poo thing to say and probably not intentionally sexist.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Igor Strelkov posted:

This year's rim protection stuff is finally live on nyloncalculus

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/
Your top men. These men are saving a ton of points per game. After them you basically get centers and the odd pf, there could still be some noise and scheme stuff elevating Marreese Speightses of the world. This stat really underlines the point about the simple physical size of a center as an obstacle to the basket being really important. Guys not known as good defenders, most specifically Brook Lopez, have shown up in the top of the rest section of the rankings for the last two years.

Other points, it's nice to see Drummond showing up, he's learning to use his size to be an obstacle, slowly. John Henson is doing a much better job at rim protection than he did last year.

Rudy Gobert
Hassan Whiteside
Andrew Bogut
Roy Hibbert
Sam Dalembert
Larry Sanders
Marreese Speights
Jonas Valanciunas
Tyler Zeller
Brook Lopez
Pau Gasol
Kyle O'Quinn
John Henson
Andre Drummond
Robin Lopez

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/02/04/made-miss-projecting-rim-protection-metrics/
Of course, it's not all skill

Hey, hey Brian. Hey man. Maybe instead of rapping the cafeteria menu at your team to motivate them to win close games you could like, try playing one of the best rim protectors in the league in the 4th quarter, at all. Just a thought, I'm no coach over here.

Spoeank posted:

1, 2, 3, NIK RO-oh gently caress

https://vine.co/v/OFPVWOnnhI2

:dogbutton:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's a close race between Cousins and the Arco Arena crowd to see who revolts first. I don't think I've seen the the arena full of such disgust even at the height of the Anaheim drama

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Spoeank posted:

1, 2, 3, NIK RO-oh gently caress

https://vine.co/v/OFPVWOnnhI2

Cutting to three dudes in Black History Month shirts immediately after the block is really the cherry on top

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

It's a close race between Cousins and the Arco Arena crowd to see who revolts first. I don't think I've seen the the arena full of such disgust even at the height of the Anaheim drama

There's a ton of unrest right now among everybody but the FO. It's a really frustrating product to watch. I want to live in the alternate dimension where Boogie never got sick, so the Kings never started sucking, so Malone didn't get fired, so Ty loving Corbin wasn't the head coach.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao are you supposed to refer to female referees as 'its' or 'zhe' or some poo poo? this is literally the stupidest loving controversy EVER.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

this is hosed up...

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Need to watch more Bulls games. I didnt know Noah got a jheri curl. It's cool of him to rock one on the 20th year anniversary of Eazy E's death.

Halfling Wizard Bear fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 6, 2015

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
10 year old (and others) vs Steph Curry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ5t7FHhik4

Diddie fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 6, 2015

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Halfling Wizard Bear posted:

Need to watch more Bulls games. I didnt know Noah got a jheri curl. It's cool of him to rock one on the 20th year anniversary of Eazy E's death.

the letters have fresher paint than the figure :X

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh Bulls, I could have told you a thing or two about the dangerously race relation destroying line you walk when trying to describe Joakim Noah's look.

Also, I feel like there should be an 'h' in his name in more than just the one place.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
that's almost 13 million per H

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
This rant reminded me of MourningView for some reason.

Andrew Sharp posted:

I’ve had an unpopular opinion for months, and I’ve been holding it back from you, the readers. It’s time for that to end.

The Hawks are not cool.

The campaign to make the Hawks cool needs to end.

Seriously. Enough.

Kyle Korver is cool, Dennis Schroder is great, but everyone else could disappear from the NBA tomorrow and nobody would miss them. Jeff Teague? We have John Wall and Steph Curry. Al Horford? Imagine the exact same personality as Tim Duncan, but half the talent and twice the injuries. Paul Millsap? As exciting as a telephone pole. DeMarre Carroll and Mike Scott? They could start a D-League game this weekend and nobody would blink.

I get it. Atlanta likes the Hawks because anyone can enjoy a team that wins this much. Atlanta deserves this. And if you’re not from Atlanta, saying you “just love what the Hawks are doing right now” is a great way to prove you’re a smart basketball fan.

Count me out of what’s happening here. We’re giving entire teams player of the month now? This is not cool. If I wanted to see grown men fall all over themselves to worship B-list talent, I’d watch college basketball.

The other day, SportsCenter had a Hawks “pass counter” onscreen during a highlight package. Are you loving kidding me?

I hope this bandwagon ends up at the bottom of a lake.

Interview with Hawks starters. I love the unselfish dynamic of this TEAM #ATLShawty – via @SportsCenter http://t.co/oUUkmgYcZF

— David Holloman (@dmholloman) January 29, 2015

For the record, the Heat played “team basketball” when they won 27 games in a row a few years ago, but nobody was falling over themselves to congratulate the Heat on the genius of their unselfishness. And you know why nobody said that? Because the Heat had players who were actually good. The Warriors play team basketball too. But it’s more fun to note that Steph Curry and Klay Thompson were sent here from outer space than turn into a JV basketball coach marveling at the sets they run.

Don’t get me wrong, the Hawks are absolutely a great team. Tough on defense and borderline un-guardable on offense. At least twice during last night’s Wizards game, a pass-pass-pass-wide-open-3 sequence made me stop and say, “Hooooooly poo poo they are good.”

But while we wait to see if their approach works in the playoffs — it might! — let’s take it down a notch. The Hawks can be good, and also the corniest team in the league. People talk about them the same way they talk about the St. Louis Cardinals. Every win is a testament to hard work, and humility, and culture. It’s fine if you’re into that sort of thing, but I’m not. I didn’t come here for pass counters and flat-footed Pero Antic jumpers.

Show me the best sport in the world. Show me Durant in God mode. Show me Giannis going 900 feet in two steps. Show me the reckless 26-foot Jamal Crawford step-back that falls anyway. Show me Kobe cursing out the Lakers front office on a secret cell phone video. Show me Anthony Davis flying in from half court. Show me Dion Waiters standing in the corner calling for the ball. Show me anything but the loving Hawks.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yes, let me complain about the Hawks being on Sportscenter when that has happened for good reasons in the last ten years zero times.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Sounds like an entitled spoiled brat.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I disagree with that article completely but this sums up perfectly why I watch the NBA:

"Show me the best sport in the world. Show me Durant in God mode. Show me Giannis going 900 feet in two steps. Show me the reckless 26-foot Jamal Crawford step-back that falls anyway. Show me Kobe cursing out the Lakers front office on a secret cell phone video. Show me Anthony Davis flying in from half court. Show me Dion Waiters standing in the corner calling for the ball"

Add in guys presenting rookie cards instead of drivers licenses during traffic stops and you have a list of all my favorite poo poo

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
My only complaint about the Hawks is that Atlanta as a city doesn't deserve a basketball team, let alone a really good basketball team. Swap the Hawks with the Kings but let Boogie stay.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Man Atlanta is one of the few cities I'd expect an NBA team to be in forever. Same with Memphis. It's kind of important even if in a symbolic way.

Eratik
Jun 23, 2004

I like your style.
Andrew Sharp's #hotsportstake articles are funny but largely indistinguishable from the rest of his work.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
How, when building your case for the Hawks not being cool, is it that the point you concede is "Kyle Korver is cool"?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Faxanadu posted:

Man Atlanta is one of the few cities I'd expect an NBA team to be in forever. Same with Memphis. It's kind of important even if in a symbolic way.

This. There is no way the NBA does not have a basketball team in the city of Atlanta. If any of you think this is a reality, you're an idiot.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

not one mention of 'Tinder night' or the organist who balls completely out of control.

That article is poo poo

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If all you want is to watch freakish individual athletic achievement, why are you watching a team sport instead of decathlon or some poo poo? ISOs can be really tremendous if they manage an awesome drive or the contested bailout 3 falls or a truly transcendent performance occurs, but when it's 15 seconds of dribbling and a midrange jumper it's harder to be enthused. An offense that moves and passes is a lot more exciting on average.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

vikingstrike posted:

This. There is no way the NBA does not have a basketball team in the city of Atlanta. If any of you think this is a reality, you're an idiot.

I've come to terms with the fact that Atlanta will always have a basketball team. But it should be a lovely basketball team, preferably with bad ownership and poor coaching and players who like to play isoball and get DUIs.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I've come to terms with the fact that Atlanta will always have a basketball team. But it should be a lovely basketball team, preferably with bad ownership and poor coaching and players who like to play isoball and get DUIs.

Please don't wish Joe Johnson on us again.

Mornacale posted:

If all you want is to watch freakish individual athletic achievement, why are you watching a team sport instead of decathlon or some poo poo? ISOs can be really tremendous if they manage an awesome drive or the contested bailout 3 falls or a truly transcendent performance occurs, but when it's 15 seconds of dribbling and a midrange jumper it's harder to be enthused. An offense that moves and passes is a lot more exciting on average.

Can you dunk in a decathlon?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This week on Joel Embiid fatgate

http://instagram.com/p/yvBNKTTcMS/

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What am I looking for here

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

What am I looking for here

That he is not fat.

e: Also Nerlens totally traveled.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOXo4Z8josI

I don't think anyone posted this, Jimmy Fallon and Kobe talking about going on a beer run.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

vikingstrike posted:

I don't think someone is an idiot if they think that the team with the lowest attendance per capita and every financial and social indicator suggesting that the city doesn't give a gently caress about them might be better off somewhere that has shown some affinity for basketball.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

vikingstrike posted:

I'd love to hear your reasoning why.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is in the top 10 largest tv markets.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Go back to last season and there is like no one who thinks Atlanta should have a team

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/Nielsen_2014-2015_DMA_Ranks.pdf

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So what you're saying is we're going to get the St. Louis Hawks. Again.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Don't really see how the TV numbers mean Jack poo poo regarding whether or not the Hawks stay in Atlanta.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

It is in the top 10 largest tv markets.

Except that doesn't help if people aren't watching the team.

Atlanta should keep its team, but Atlanta is a really tough place for pro-sports teams, regardless of its size.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

So It Goes posted:

This rant reminded me of MourningView for some reason.

This rant brought to you by the author of Daryl Morey, The Genius Who Outsmarted Himself.

e: also, he's a bitter Wizards fan, and probably cranky that his team has a dumb coach instead of Budenholzer

chunkles fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

The Hawks are a huge media market; how can anyone even suggest that they might not have a basketball team? That's almost bad as suggesting that LA might lose their football team.

Edit: Chicago is sitting on the 5th seed with a .667 win ratio. The Wizards got the 5th seed last year with a win ratio of .537; is the East better this year?

big boi fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 6, 2015

• Locked thread