Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Just saw this detail in today's Zach Lowe column:

quote:

Brooklyn missing the playoffs would also raise the possibility of the greatest random transactional moment in NBA history: the Nets’ looming pick swap with Atlanta, which Danny Ferry somehow shoehorned into the Joe Johnson trade — the rare instance in which the team doing someone a favor decided to toss in some last-minute sweeteners for reasons no one has ever understood.

I’m not sure casual fans realize what might happen here. The Hawks have a chance to finish with the best record in the NBA. They could pick 30th! The Nets might miss the playoffs, which would open up something like a 3 percent chance of Brooklyn jumping into the draft’s top three — and then trading all the way down with Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Atlanta getting a top three pick after this season would be hilarious.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hitze posted:

Don't really see how the TV numbers mean Jack poo poo regarding whether or not the Hawks stay in Atlanta.

If anything it tells me we should just have 2 teams in Chicago and 3 teams in New York

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Jack's Flow posted:

Just saw this detail in today's Zach Lowe column:

quote:

Brooklyn missing the playoffs would also raise the possibility of the greatest random transactional moment in NBA history: the Nets’ looming pick swap with Atlanta, which Danny Ferry somehow shoehorned into the Joe Johnson trade — the rare instance in which the team doing someone a favor decided to toss in some last-minute sweeteners for reasons no one has ever understood

Danny Ferry has a little bit of African in him.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
If Brooklyn stays where they're at (10-14 range), then Atlanta could add a player like Myles Turner / Trey Lyles / Justise Winslow / Kelly Oubre / Devin Booker. Most of them are super high-ceiling guys that could be all stars in a few years. Great job, Brooklyn, Atlanta made an insanely great deal here.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Rick posted:

I don't think someone is an idiot if they think that the team with the lowest attendance per capita and every financial and social indicator suggesting that the city doesn't give a gently caress about them might be better off somewhere that has shown some affinity for basketball.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'd love to hear your reasoning why.

Idiot was too harsh of a term, but practically I don't see it happening. First, I don't think the outside options are very strong. Second, the NBA is very popular with the people that live in Atlanta even if they don't cheer for the Hawks. The NBA still needs a vehicle to sell their product and superstars. Not to mention, outside of south Florida, Atlanta is the largest market by a very wide margin in this area of the country. Third, Atlanta is very much a transient city so there are people all over the US that live there and having the Hawks around gives them a chance to cheer for the Bulls, Lakers, whatever. Again, this is about selling a product. Attendance numbers don't compare to other cities, but I think that's more of a by product of the number of "true" Hawks fans that make it to games and the number of teams that come through that no one cares about (think watching the Hornets in Atlanta). However, I can say that all of the games I've been to against larger market teams pull much, much larger crowds. When I saw the Bulls in December, Phillips was pretty much sold out and this was just at the very beginning of the winning streak.

Aside from Seattle, I'm curious as to which cities you guys think should have a team? Ignoring soccer and hockey, if the NBA left Atlanta they would be the only pro league out of the big three without a presence (again, I know Seattle fits this criteria too).

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 6, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bearic posted:

If Brooklyn stays where they're at (10-14 range), then Atlanta could add a player like Myles Turner / Trey Lyles / Justise Winslow / Kelly Oubre / Devin Booker. Most of them are super high-ceiling guys that could be all stars in a few years. Great job, Brooklyn, Atlanta made an insanely great deal here.

Atlanta made a really good deal before that pick swap.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
On the air last night Barkley was talking about the need for physical play and he referred to himself as a "six four power forward" several times.

straight up brolic posted:

lmao are you supposed to refer to female referees as 'its' or 'zhe' or some poo poo? this is literally the stupidest loving controversy EVER.

Ehh I don't think that's what the controversy is about. Basically you got a young-lookin' rookie female ref and everyone's worried that if she starts Joey Crawfording the players are gonna be like "gently caress you, bitch" instead of "gently caress you, ref" because it's a distinctly different type of disrespect.

So that wasn't really what happened, but Clippers Ts came close enough to the line that if you can phrase it in that way it makes for an exciting article. NBA players, stars especially have a fair amount of leniency with complaining about calls and it lets for some great pictures that would read a lil viscerally different if it's a young (34) year old lady:

Visuals on a big dude screamin' at a lil lady is different from screaming at a crotchety old man (so close to death he longer knows any earthly fear) and people don't know how to talk about that without being sexist oh nooo

wangvicous posted:

JR Smith can do two things well, drive and shoot. He is usually too lazy/tired to drive, so when he is basically just asked to shoot he is a really good player with the drive available to keep defenses honest.

He's an absolutely incredible athlete which translates into some competent defending and any number of other things why are people always underselling JR Smith just cause he can't lead a team.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 6, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
A teammate in high school once screamed a ref right in the face, "gently caress YOU", and the ref just laughed and nothing happened. The next trip down the court that same teammate felt the need to add, "... you bitch" and so she tossed him out of the game. That teammate was a pretty dumb dude.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

vikingstrike posted:

Idiot was too harsh of a term, but practically I don't see it happening. First, I don't think the outside options are very strong. Second, the NBA is very popular with the people that live in Atlanta even if they don't cheer for the Hawks. The NBA still needs a vehicle to sell their product and superstars. Not to mention, outside of south Florida, Atlanta is the largest market by a very wide margin in this area of the country. Third, Atlanta is very much a transient city so there are people all over the US that live there and having the Hawks around gives them a chance to cheer for the Bulls, Lakers, whatever. Again, this is about selling a product. Attendance numbers don't compare to other cities, but I think that's more of a by product of the number of "true" Hawks fans that make it to games and the number of teams that come through that no one cares about (think watching the Hornets in Atlanta). However, I can say that all of the games I've been to against larger market teams pull much, much larger crowds. When I saw the Bulls in December, Phillips was pretty much sold out and this was just at the very beginning of the winning streak.

Aside from Seattle, I'm curious as to which cities you guys think should have a team? Ignoring soccer and hockey, if the NBA left Atlanta they would be the only pro league out of the big three without a presence (again, I know Seattle fits this criteria too).

Pittsburgh and St. Louis both have NFL, MLB and NHL teams kinda uncool of the NBA to not show up

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

EvanTH posted:

Visuals on a big dude screamin' at a lil lady

Actually I would definitely like to see Kevin Garnett try to fight a 5 foot tall woman and be all like HOLD ME BACK BRO and then get thrown out of the game, that sounds pretty good and empowering to me

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

If all you want is to watch freakish individual athletic achievement, why are you watching a team sport instead of decathlon or some poo poo? ISOs can be really tremendous if they manage an awesome drive or the contested bailout 3 falls or a truly transcendent performance occurs, but when it's 15 seconds of dribbling and a midrange jumper it's harder to be enthused. An offense that moves and passes is a lot more exciting on average.

because none of that poo poo is as much fun as basketball

people are allowed to like different things than you in a sport, y'all, dang

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

vikingstrike posted:

Seattle or Chicago. Pheonix could probably be discussed as there is already an arena there.

The Hawks are literally the most exciting team to watch in the NBA right now, and are likely the best they will ever be in both the past and future history of the franchise. Despite this, they are 21st in attendance. Say all you will about Atlanta and "how big the market is", the team will never be more marketable from a ticket sales perspective, and no one is going to games. The Orlando Magic are a team coached like poo poo with no star players and they are above the Hawks in attendance.

It has to be embarrassing for the NBA that their best team can't sell tickets, let alone sell out their stadium.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

Actually I would definitely like to see Kevin Garnett try to fight a 5 foot tall woman and be all like HOLD ME BACK BRO and then get thrown out of the game, that sounds pretty good and empowering to me

Kevin Garnett yelling at the sun, his bros hold him back until dusk
Kevin Garnett yelling at a mayfly for its entire 16 hour lifespan
Kevin Garnett angry and trapped in an echoing hall of mirrors

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

big boi posted:

Atlanta getting a top three pick after this season would be hilarious.

Atlanta having a deep playoff/potential Finals victory plus winning the draft lotto would be one of the best possible ends to this season. Hopefully that would be enough to give them a larger fan base.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Durant's back tonight (yay), but doesn't know if he'll compete in the All-Star game yet. Would be very funny & perfect if he sat and Lilliard was invited.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

EvanTH posted:

Pittsburgh and St. Louis both have NFL, MLB and NHL teams kinda uncool of the NBA to not show up

San Diego is in the same boat, too. I used Seattle as the example here because they had a NBA team in recent memory and often get brought up here, although since I've mainly lurked the thread over the years I could have a wrong impression.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seattle or Chicago. Pheonix could probably be discussed as there is already an arena there.

The Hawks are literally the most exciting team to watch in the NBA right now, and are likely the best they will ever be in both the past and future history of the franchise. Despite this, they are 21st in attendance. Say all you will about Atlanta and "how big the market is", the team will never be more marketable from a ticket sales perspective, and no one is going to games. The Orlando Magic are a team coached like poo poo with no star players and they are above the Hawks in attendance.

It has to be embarrassing for the NBA that their best team can't sell tickets, let alone sell out their stadium.

Chicago needs a second NBA team? I don't dispute your points, I just don't think they're moving next year or whatever. Not to mention, I don't think ticket sales are the end all be all that the league uses to evaluate the presence of a team in certain cities. From this site, it is less than 30% of operating revenue each year: http://www.statista.com/statistics/193410/percentage-of-ticketing-revenue-in-the-nba-since-2006/

Also, the NBA has the most black fans than any other league: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/which-sports-have-the-whitest-richest-oldest-fans/283626/ by a wide margin and the city of Atlanta is a majority black city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Atlanta. And, in case you haven't been there recently, they aren't doing so well and I doubt they have tons of disposable income to make it into downtown Atlanta and pay 30 bucks for a ticket.

So, yeah, I do think "the market" is a big loving deal with the city of Atlanta.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 6, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Step 1. Show Hawks games at hipster indie theaters in Seattle, St. Louis and Pittsburgh
Step 2. Replace 3 upper sections at Philips Arena with giant screens
Step 3. Broadcast the fans from those theaters on the new giant screens at the arena

I think I just solved all of Atlanta's and the NBA's problems

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

and one god drat it

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Chicago already has a second team, they're called the Bucks

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Phoenix Suns 2

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

The problem is that you're thinking as if national TV contracts aren't gigantic and RSN's aren't hugely profitable and worth more that the respective teams in some cases. It's increasingly becoming an issue of growing the sport and getting high national TV rating, along with RSN ratings. That should be the driving force for expansion and profit in the NBA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

vikingstrike posted:

San Diego is in the same boat, too. I used Seattle as the example here because they had a NBA team in recent memory and often get brought up here, although since I've mainly lurked the thread over the years I could have a wrong impression.

Chicago needs a second NBA team? I don't dispute your points, I just don't think they're moving next year or whatever. Not to mention, I don't think ticket sales are the end all be all that the league uses to evaluate the presence of a team in certain cities. From this site, it is less than 30% of operating revenue each year: http://www.statista.com/statistics/193410/percentage-of-ticketing-revenue-in-the-nba-since-2006/

Also, the NBA has the most black fans than any other league: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/which-sports-have-the-whitest-richest-oldest-fans/283626/ by a wide margin and the city of Atlanta is a majority black city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Atlanta. And, in case you haven't been there recently, they aren't doing so well and I doubt they have tons of disposable income to make it into downtown Atlanta and pay 30 bucks for a ticket.

So, yeah, I do think "the market" is a big loving deal with the city of Atlanta.

The various racial groups of Atlanta have become united in ignoring the Hawks no matter how good they are. Maybe they should get to keep the team simply for that accomplishment in racial harmony.

wangvicous posted:

The problem is that you're thinking as if national TV contracts aren't gigantic and RSN's aren't hugely profitable and worth more that the respective teams in some cases. It's increasingly becoming an issue of growing the sport and getting high national TV rating, along with RSN ratings. That should be the driving force for expansion and profit in the NBA.

Actually a large chunk of individual team's revenue in the NBA is their local television contract, and the Hawks weakness in Atlanta impacts the value of the team. And it's not like the Hawks are a strong national brand anyway. The Seattle Supersonics, despite not existing, are more popular than the Hawks.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 6, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why is attendance at games very relevant?

Also I think the simplest answer is that the Hawks FO is bad at marketing and ticket sales.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Terry Glenn posted:

Durant's back tonight (yay), but doesn't know if he'll compete in the All-Star game yet. Would be very funny & perfect if he sat and Lilliard was invited.

Pellies are going down

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Sprawl and traffic seem like inhibitors to attendance at Atlanta sports events.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

Also I think the simplest answer is that the Hawks FO is bad at marketing and ticket sales.

One time I was hanging out with a friend and his (now ex) girlfriend in Atlanta. I mentioned that it seems like the Hawks do a terrible job marketing a team that's always in the playoffs. Turns out my friend's (ex) girlfriend did some marketing work for the Hawks. Oops.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Libertine posted:

Sprawl and traffic seem like inhibitors to attendance at Atlanta sports events.

This is going to be a huge issue for the Braves when they move to Cobb County. They are moving to the corner of one of the worst interchanges in the city with no public transportation to get there as an option.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

Because it's one of the few sources of income for an NBA team that isn't divided 30 ways.

And the Hawks have struggled the same way no matter who owns the team. I don't think Ted Turner is bad at marketing and some of his teams had like 5-10 year playoff streaks without ever drawing a following.

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 6, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Pellies are going down

Gonna be a blowout Pels win from Durant trying to do too much. :colbert:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Swipe Right Night and the "why pick up 6s when you can watch Jason Kidd drop dimes" were the two best marketing efforts

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ungratek posted:

Chicago already has a second team, they're called the Bucks

Jason Kidd is doing pretty goddamn great things for that team. I am legit rooting for them unless they are playing for the Bulls.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kibner posted:

Gonna be a blowout Pels win from Durant trying to do too much. :colbert:

I expect a big game from the Brow. I feel like tonight's outcome might be decided on if Evans has a bad game or not. I wish Pels Thunder didn't overlap with Warriors Hawks.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

I expect a big game from the Brow. I feel like tonight's outcome might be decided on if Evans has a bad game or not. I wish Pels Thunder didn't overlap with Warriors Hawks.

Nearly every game this and last season have been determined by if Tyreke had a bad game or not.

Warriors Hawks is going to be a more watchable game regardless, imo.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
The Hawks home arena has a seating capacity of 18,047

Atlanta Hawks attendance as of Jan 21

quote:

Through 20 home games, the Hawks are drawing 16,328 fans per contest, marking one of the largest attendance percentage increases in the NBA when compared to the 2013-14 campaign. The team has sold out five-of-the-last-six games at Philips Arena

16,328 of 18,047 seats being filled per game seems reasonable enough, being short of a sellout on average by only 1719 seats per game isn't a big deal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ragle posted:

The Hawks home arena has a seating capacity of 18,047

Atlanta Hawks attendance as of Jan 21

16,328 of 18,047 seats being filled per game seems reasonable enough, being short of a sellout on average by only 1719 seats per game isn't a big deal.

Most attendance numbers are fudged anyways. At least people are showing up to watch their really good basketball team which I hope never moves to Seattle

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh no Hassan Whiteside, the projected 2015 NBA MVP, has reaggravated his ankle injury

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fast Luck posted:

Oh no Hassan Whiteside, the projected 2015 NBA MVP, has reaggravated his ankle injury

I'd definitely fake a broken ankle, shut it down now, and hope to snooker someone into a 4/40 contract in the offseason

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

I'd definitely fake a broken ankle, shut it down now, and hope to snooker someone into a 4/40 contract in the offseason

He has a two year contract with the heat so I don't think that would be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kibner posted:

He has a two year contract with the heat so I don't think that would be possible.

Oops. I saw an article saying he'd be an unrestricted free agent, missed the "2016" part.

• Locked thread