Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Its a battle to the DEATH not a friendly spar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Remember that this is the same series which had Harry Potter slinging Avada Kadavaras like they were going out of style. They don't really care about keeping character.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The Death Battle is flawed by the rules used within the Death Battle.

They take both in the prime, but then they use DBGT. The limitation they place on Goku is that his base form strength is limited to the weights King Kai puts on him at the beginning of the Buu saga.

The problem is that Goku in his base form in GT is absurdly more powerful than Goku at the beginning of the Buu saga. Like Goku's base form in GT completely clowns Frieza and Cell at the same time. He fights the equivalent of Buu as a normal super saiyan and clowns him as well. So their formulae for calculating Goku's strength are out by quite a few orders of magnitude.

I mean, is it enough to close the gap? Maybe? The other big problem is that they say that Instant Transmission requires concentration. I mean it does, but Goku can use it basically at will in a fight. So why the hell does he go for a beam struggle with Superman when he get instantly teleport behind him and obliterate him with a Kamehameha?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jesus christ

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Is this that thing? Where people quote from other sites without [quote] or ""? Or... or is it that other thing? The really nerdy one.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Testekill posted:

Do you think that you'd be able to withstand the funk?

Although this gives me an idea for a Xenoverse character. Does anyone know if there are blouses with plunging necklines for men? Or if I can wear a tiara while having an afro?

Oh poo poo, now I wanna play as Chou Koumei.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Removing characters from the context of their own stories for the purposes of trying to determine who's 'objectively' stronger is stupid as gently caress and some gamefaqs-tier posting

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Plus Goku could just abuse the fact that he can teleport across dimensions at will, find Super Saiyan God Vegeta, fuse, come back, one shot Supes as SSG Gogeta, and we all go home happy the end.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Removing characters from the context of their own stories for the purposes of trying to determine who's 'objectively' stronger is stupid as gently caress and some gamefaqs-tier posting

Technically since it started from an episode of Death Battle, this is YouTube tier posting :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Death Battle makes for decent "dumb fun" videos that you should watch, enjoy, and then discard without too much thought. Its basically junk food for the mind. ;)

My favourite of those is Dr Robotnic VS Dr Wily. Metal Sonic Wins! The world is hosed! Good job idiots! :psylon:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Thyrork posted:

Death Battle makes for decent "dumb fun" videos that you should watch, enjoy, and then discard without too much thought. Its basically junk food for the mind. ;)

My favourite of those is Dr Robotnic VS Dr Wily. Metal Sonic Wins! The world is hosed! Good job idiots! :psylon:

I'll admit, I've watched every one that I have even a passing interest in. I love their voices.. just don't Google the voice actors, it ruins the illusion.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

They used GT Goku. The same GT Goku that sees a robot from hell absorb his attacks, then decides to shoot more ki attacks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rudoku posted:

They used GT Goku. The same GT Goku that sees a robot from hell absorb his attacks, then decides to shoot more ki attacks.

I'm curious, did they at least have Goku do something that almost sort of kinda makes sense like "ILL SHOOT MORE THAN YOU CAN ABSORB!" or was it literally "He's absorbing my attacks! ...Kaaaaaaa-meeeeeeee..."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rudoku posted:

To be fair, this logic 100% totally worked against Yakon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Classic Goku!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Can someone link our Xenoverse Steam group, please?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There have been versus forums that use direct high end feat based rules to define debates to determine "who would win." I used to frequent one just to play around with my debate skills on useless stuff as opposed to things that actually pissed me off like religion and politics. It's a nice distraction while doing boring work or something.

The forums with exact feat based rules and no favortism allowed in debates tend to place Goku over Post-Crisis Superman at some level of SSJ. The reasons are:

- at some point, his reaction speed gets faster than Superman's just around light reaction speed. That's mostly where the argument is, as the faster person would win.
- Goku's weight thing was a ridiculously low showing that's thrown out when he can punch through super dense planets and peers like Buu can punt projectiles back through planets. If anything, since they can enhance their punches with ki, their punches are much much greater in force than "lifting strength."
- Post Crisis Superman is immediately KOed by planets exploding. Goku has ki attacks that can blow up planets
- Post Crisis Superman's max strength is ramming into a moon at full speed and making it blow up. Goku can take moonbuster level attacks.
- Superman couldn't really get close to the sun without Goku just teleporting to him and hitting him/whatever.
- This changes with other versions of Superman. DCNU Superman bench pressed the planet for days straight and poo poo. Pre Crisis sneezed away a galaxy.

That death battle was dumb, since they ignored that there are multiple separate versions of Superman (conflating pre-crisis with post crisis) and lowballing Goku. But it got a ton of hits and stuff so it did its job.

All of that doesn't matter because The Flash pretty much beats everyone who isn't a straight up god or Silver Surfer.

Anyway, the main reason I like bringing this up, ever, is that those debates kind of bring out how surprisingly consistent Toriyama was with Dragon Ball as compared to the wildly varying stuff found with different authors in U.S. comics, and makes things like speed/strength/etc. pretty easy to narrow down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

All of that doesn't matter because The Flash pretty much beats everyone who isn't a straight up god or Silver Surfer.

Elongated Man can canonically punch faster than the Flash. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

There have been versus forums that use direct high end feat based rules to define debates to determine "who would win." I used to frequent one just to play around with my debate skills on useless stuff as opposed to things that actually pissed me off like religion and politics. It's a nice distraction while doing boring work or something.

The forums with exact feat based rules and no favortism allowed in debates tend to place Goku over Post-Crisis Superman at some level of SSJ. The reasons are:

- at some point, his reaction speed gets faster than Superman's just around light reaction speed. That's mostly where the argument is, as the faster person would win.
- Goku's weight thing was a ridiculously low showing that's thrown out when he can punch through super dense planets and peers like Buu can punt projectiles back through planets. If anything, since they can enhance their punches with ki, their punches are much much greater in force than "lifting strength."
- Post Crisis Superman is immediately KOed by planets exploding. Goku has ki attacks that can blow up planets
- Post Crisis Superman's max strength is ramming into a moon at full speed and making it blow up. Goku can take moonbuster level attacks.
- Superman couldn't really get close to the sun without Goku just teleporting to him and hitting him/whatever.
- This changes with other versions of Superman. DCNU Superman bench pressed the planet for days straight and poo poo. Pre Crisis sneezed away a galaxy.

That death battle was dumb, since they ignored that there are multiple separate versions of Superman (conflating pre-crisis with post crisis) and lowballing Goku. But it got a ton of hits and stuff so it did its job.

Anyway, the main reason I like bringing this up, ever, is that those debates kind of bring out how surprisingly consistent Toriyama was with Dragon Ball as compared to the wildly varying stuff found with different authors in U.S. comics, and makes things like speed/strength/etc. pretty easy to narrow down.

Well it is hardly surprising that magna tends to trump us comics when it comes to consistency. A single story told by a single author is pretty much always going to have more solid logic and internal rules, especially compared to Western comics that always have to be upping the stakes in some fashion or another.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Flash can't go two steps without some kind of bullshit power reduction in any given crossover fight. :v:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

projecthalaxy posted:

To be fair, this logic 100% totally worked against Yakon.

But Yakon wasn't a cyborg that was built to absorb Goku's energy.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

The Flash can't go two steps without some kind of bullshit power reduction in any given crossover fight. :v:

Yeah but in two steps he could be at like mars.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Having a shared universe that lasts for decades isn't particularly conducive to consistency, no. Shonen manga are still really inconsistent about how fast things move, though. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, for example, often seems to assume that the speed of light and "over 200 meters per second!" are basically the same thing. Dragon Ball is among the least bad about speed, but it can be inconsistent about other things (Roshi can blow up the moon but struggles against people who struggle to blow up much smaller things).

I believed it was generally accepted that Post-Crisis (pre-DCNU) Superman would win, mainly because Superman is sometimes explicitly faster than light, while Goku isn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know who could beat Goku?

Captain Marvel. :colbert:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rudoku posted:

But Yakon wasn't a cyborg that was built to absorb Goku's energy.

But does Goku recognize that as a relevant detail?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Out of all the ridiculous poo poo that happens in Dragonball, the constant blowing up of the moon is really what bugs me the most. What'd the moon ever do to you assholes? That's where Clefairys come from...:(

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

You know who could beat Goku?

Captain Marvel. :colbert:

Which one?! :arghfist::mad:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Thyrork posted:

Which one?! :arghfist::mad:

All five of them, honestly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Having a shared universe that lasts for decades isn't particularly conducive to consistency, no. Shonen manga are still really inconsistent about how fast things move, though. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, for example, often seems to assume that the speed of light and "over 200 meters per second!" are basically the same thing. Dragon Ball is among the least bad about speed, but it can be inconsistent about other things (Roshi can blow up the moon but struggles against people who struggle to blow up much smaller things).

I believed it was generally accepted that Post-Crisis (pre-DCNU) Superman would win, mainly because Superman is sometimes explicitly faster than light, while Goku isn't.

Roshi can only blow up the moon after a long (even for real world standards, not the superspeed they normally fight at) charge and expending every last bit of his energy to do so with a technique that is explicitly made to blow stuff up. It's not like Piccolo, who can later just blast it away after already being tired in the middle of running from a giant ape.

Goku, etc. all react around light somewhere around Freeza/Cell area. They're reacting to kamehamehas that bust out of the atmosphere immediately and reach the moon in seconds and stuff relatively early in DBZ, and only get faster. Even their travel speed gets around there towards the end (Gotenks, Beerus, etc.).

Dragon Ball tends to really focus on the difference in travel and reaction speed too. They can't fly or run at full speed for too far without wasting all of their energy, but they can zip around in short bursts faster and faster as it goes on. Comics tend to do this as well, to a degree in the REVERSE way, with Thor and Superman flying across the universe in minutes (through building up more and more speed through travel in a particular direction), but being slower than Spider-man in battle (Thor), or being just around light speed in dodging and stuff (Superman).

That's another one of those different viewpoints on application that Western and Eastern series tend to use, probably because Eastern uses a lot of spiritual/ki/come from within type mythology to power their characters up more and more as time goes on, while Western either uses aliens or ultra science to give powers in theirs, which gives more "set" abilities. Not 100% in either case, but an interesting shift (that those versus battles often fail to realize, and rate things strictly on one or the other standards).

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Of course this thread gets three pages out of nowhere from a loving Goku vs Superman debate.

Totally gonna get Xenoverse. I wanna play a Namekian with a witch hat who does Recoome poses.

Or just however close I can get to straight up having Krillin as my OC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

Of course this thread gets three pages out of nowhere from a loving Goku vs Superman debate.

Totally gonna get Xenoverse. I wanna play a Namekian with a witch hat who does Recoome poses.

Goku vs Superman is eternal.

Long after the heat death of the universe, there will be Goku vs Superman.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Three weeks until I can make a hulking, crystal clad Saiyan warrior who is legally not infringing on any copyrights.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kild posted:

Goku went to the moon in Dragon Ball. Vegeta was willing to destroy Earth with his Garlic Gun. Bardock stuff. Vegeta going Super Saiyan.

The moon has an atmosphere too, and look how long it took Freeza to kill a planet.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The moon has an atmosphere too, and look how long it took Freeza to kill a planet.

One of the comments on the newest DBM described Goku's face in the last panel as 'a gentle rape face'. Really?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't think the Moons atmosphere extends to Earth. Goku power poled from Earth to the Moon.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

I wanna see if I can make Raditz, Savior of Earth.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kild posted:

I don't think the Moons atmosphere extends to Earth. Goku power poled from Earth to the Moon.

You can survive in space for a few moments.

facebook jihad posted:

One of the comments on the newest DBM described Goku's face in the last panel as 'a gentle rape face'. Really?

gently caress all of the comments on that site, they're really awful.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder how fat I can make a Saiyan. I'm sure Majins can approach spherical and humans can get quite rotund, but I want a 5'0", 600 pound Saiyan.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder how fat I can make a Saiyan. I'm sure Majins can approach spherical and humans can get quite rotund, but I want a 5'0", 600 pound Saiyan.

So you want to recreate Onio?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Arale is stronger than Goku and Supaman. :colbert:

Also wow, I can't look at the new page of DBM without thinking Goku's about to say "Imma deck you in the schnozz. Again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

Arale is stronger than Goku and Supaman. :colbert:

i am glad someone finally understands this

• Locked thread