Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
:toot: I've been waiting for someone to make this thread--I had thought about doing it on several occasions but :effort:.

isk posted:

CDPR is giving me a 20% discount for preordering at GOG because I bought the prior Witcher games thru them. That's the kind of fan loyalty I can dig.

I'll add that you can also get up to a 20% discount on GOG (10% for each game) even if you purchased it on Steam.

Get your CD key from Steam (Library -> Click Game, then right side under Links) and go here:

http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

Obviously you'll need to be logged in.

Buying it through GOG is the way to go. Support DRM-free gaming, goons. The more people who buy it through GOG the better. Yes, it's true, you won't have Steam achievements, but think of how much more immersed you'll be. :v:

On a related note, I too, enjoyed both Witcher games. The first one is definitely a bit wonky, you just have to remember it's not really an action RPG, it's dice rolls hidden behind sword swings.

Also there's a mod that fixes that weird poo poo with the detective quest.

I'll probably replay the first one for shits and giggles, but I'm waiting for The Rise of the White Wolf guys to release their new version so I can give that a try.

e. goddammit first post in the thread and I miss the snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Demiurge4 posted:

Will the game have Bioware romances?

Probably closer to Saints Row 4 romances.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Are you seriously trying to...

Lol. No, not very seriously.

I just wanted to comment on combat differences between the two games.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Here's hoping they've finally implemented some sort of rolling quicksave system. Having over a few hundred MB of saves in TW1 and TW2 combined was loving HORRIBLE.

e: Also I rewatched the huge gameplay video tonight and you know what's awesome? Cutting people in half. Every once in a while. I really, REALLY hope the full release actually has it happen only every one-in-ten or whatever because as awesome as it is to slice someone vertically in loving half it will VERY quickly lose its awesome effect when every single killing blow does it. Even on scrawny little drowners.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 4, 2015

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Wiseblood posted:

Probably closer to Saints Row 4 romances.

Those were the best romances.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Here's hoping they've finally implemented some sort of rolling quicksave system. Having over a few hundred MB of saves in TW1 and TW2 combined was loving HORRIBLE.

e: Also I rewatched the huge gameplay video tonight and you know what's awesome? Cutting people in half. Every once in a while. I really, REALLY hope the full release actually has it happen only every one-in-ten or whatever because as awesome as it is to slice someone vertically in loving half it will VERY quickly lose its awesome effect when every single killing blow does it. Even on scrawny little drowners.

I actually didn't like how you saved over your quicksave slot every time in W2 and only kept the autosaves. In W1 you had the possiblity of reloading every old save in case something went wrong later.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

He said he wanted to play it AGAIN so I think he is familiar with the game. I would agree though, the mod doesnt interact well with all of the games systems so its not a good choice for a first playthrough as it would make certain things really obtuse and weird for a first timer.

From a few pages back but yeah, I completed the original game twice (once on hard, once on the Iron man difficulty) and I just felt like coming back and playing it as I forgot to backup my old saves for the Witcher 2 and I need me some Iorveth path. Thanks for the advice

Edit: Quick question from what I understand Playing this mod makes Hard mode the equivalent difficulty of dark Right?

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 4, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I actually didn't like how you saved over your quicksave slot every time in W2 and only kept the autosaves. In W1 you had the possiblity of reloading every old save in case something went wrong later.

I think the optimal way to do it is having an option that determines how many save slots you cycle when quicksaving from 1 to not replacing them at all.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

That's why I said rolling. Make it a set of 3 or 5 games that just saves over the oldest one. TW1 was SUPER crash happy for me in Act 3 and Act 5, so I literally had to save prior to every. Single. Load screen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That's why I said rolling. Make it a set of 3 or 5 games that just saves over the oldest one. TW1 was SUPER crash happy for me in Act 3 and Act 5, so I literally had to save prior to every. Single. Load screen.

I'm replaying Icewind Dale 2 right now and it has a quicksave option that automaically backs up the last save, thus if I autosave at 8pm then again at 8:30, I can still load the 8:00 save. Something like that for W3 would be fantastic.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I must be in the minority, I prefer saves that just keep piling up rather than rolling. If I got too many saves laying around I just delete them manually.

Too many times I've had a game with say, 3 rolling saves, and the game crashes at a particular point, but it takes me 3 tries to figure out the game crashes from doing that one particular thing, forcing me to go back to a non-autosave which is much older.

(Happened to me on DA:I twice :cripes: )

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Eldragon posted:

I must be in the minority, I prefer saves that just keep piling up rather than rolling. If I got too many saves laying around I just delete them manually.

Too many times I've had a game with say, 3 rolling saves, and the game crashes at a particular point, but it takes me 3 tries to figure out the game crashes from doing that one particular thing, forcing me to go back to a non-autosave which is much older.

(Happened to me on DA:I twice :cripes: )

I prefer infinite saves as well. I mean, it's not like 700MB of saves should really matter anymore these days.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I literally had to save prior to every. Single. Load screen.

I don't get why that's bad. I usually quicksave before every event (conversation, combat, area change). If no events happen, I reflexively quicksave every 10 seconds.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't get why that's bad. I usually quicksave before every event (conversation, combat, area change). If no events happen, I reflexively quicksave every 10 seconds.

Well, you shouldn't need to. Firstly, the system should save often enough that you never need to save unless you are doing something the game couldn't anticipate, and the game shouldn't ever crash.

Obviously, both of these things are easier said than done.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

GrossMurpel posted:

I prefer infinite saves as well. I mean, it's not like 700MB of saves should really matter anymore these days.

Until you get so many saves, it starts to slow down. Clearing out the saves becomes a pain too because the more saves you have, the longer it takes to delete each one. It ends up being easier to delete saves by going into the save folder rather than doing it in game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not advocating going back to the early 2000s' 'here are your eight save slots use them well.' I make new saves constantly throughout playing a game as bookmarks to go back to if I wanted (thank God for the rise of chapter selects!). But I think quicksaves shouldn't make a FULL save each time, just three or so that roll over. If you want a permanent save, make one. If you want a this-encounter-looks-tough save, I shouldn't have 300 Mb of pre-fights.

It's partially that I'm also ridiculously anti-save scumming, much to the dismay of my buddies I introduced to XCOM and such. Even though I can easily just NOT reload, I feel like what happens should happen, to the point where I'm going to make the same decisions I did in both TW1 and 2 to make sure I get my original story, even though I'm interested in seeing Iorveth Act 2 and a few characters in 3.

But mostly it's the space thing in relation to quicksaves, something meant to be quick and temporary in nature and use.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

It is pretty wild just how much content in the Witcher 2 game is different based off a small choice. I choose Iorveth so seeing the Roche highlights are wild.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As long as the game doesn't autosave every few minutes, in a different slot each time, while also experiencing crippling slowdowns if the total number of saves exceeds 10 or so. Ahhem.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Is it possible to load a save from the original version of W2 in the EE? I'm going to replay it once, but I'd like to play at least Act 3 from the other perspective as well. To see what the different endings are like after the changes.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Is it possible to load a save from the original version of W2 in the EE? I'm going to replay it once, but I'd like to play at least Act 3 from the other perspective as well. To see what the different endings are like after the changes.

There is a decent chance that it will work if the old savegame is from the very end of an act, and you enter the fresh act with EE.
Of course all kinds of quests and dialogues could break :ohdear:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I looked around for a save game editor but couldn't find one. Based on this mod having two different versions it doesn't appear the two are compatible.

Honestly, Act 2 is definitely worth replaying from the other perspective (especially if you're doing Iorveth) as that's where most of the differences occur, IIRC.

I think I still have a good spread of W2 saves, I can check to see if I have one at the end of Act 1 or 2 if you'd be interested in that?

Edit: Nevermind, I should have known, some pubbie has already gone turbo autism on this.

Obviously, this thread is filled with spoilers but here's a massive number of W2 saves at a variety of different points throughout the game:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30709-(SPOILERS)The-Witcher-2-Save-Game-Files

Archimago fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 5, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more I read the novels, the more the first game seems a bit... fanfiction-y. It's still a good game with a good story mind you, but some stuff just seems to be thrown in there to shout "hey, remember me?"

Stuff like Toruviel showing up in Temeria with the Squrrels, or Adda becoming a Striga again because that's what she's known for. It gets a little grating after a while, and I think Witcher 2 did it better with Yarpen Zigrin's cameo.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

The more I read the novels, the more the first game seems a bit... fanfiction-y. It's still a good game with a good story mind you, but some stuff just seems to be thrown in there to shout "hey, remember me?"

Stuff like Toruviel showing up in Temeria with the Squrrels, or Adda becoming a Striga again because that's what she's known for. It gets a little grating after a while, and I think Witcher 2 did it better with Yarpen Zigrin's cameo.

The whole series is Witcher fanfic, albeit in game form.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EuphrosyneD posted:

The whole series is Witcher fanfic, albeit in game form.

I get that, and I agree with Sapkowski's stance on the games. It really doesn't make sense to make concessions in your own novels for a game adapted from them. As it is, I find the Witcher games to be a really fun, well written pseudo sequel to the books, and I think they're at their best when they're doing new and creative things, like the King of the Wild Hunt's involvement in Witcher 3 or the School of the Snake Witchers. Stuff like the Striga quest however is simply an excuse to relive parts of the books. It's fun, but it feels like a narrative speed bump.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Hey sorry if this has been asked before, guys, but I don't have time to dive through the thread right now.

I just reinstalled Witcher 2 Enhanced and I plan on beating it this time, dammit. I was wondering if there are any must-have QOL mods I should get? Ages ago I used one that I think removed inventory weight from collectibles. Is that still around somewhere?

I have now played through the prologue segment about 10 times and I still love it the whole way through. Foltest is built up to be the kind of guy who would actually be a leader of men and have cities being sacked for him. Amazing voice acting, dialogue, and scene setting. The part where he fires the ballista at the motherfucker who swore him eternal friendship a few weeks ago remains badass. "He ducked." "gently caress it, I'll just kill him on the walls then"

And this time I was shocked to discover something I had missed through all my previous playthroughs; during the prison escape part there is actually a secret trap door that ends up taking you through a back route to the torture chamber. For some reason I had never used it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Turpitude posted:

Hey sorry if this has been asked before, guys, but I don't have time to dive through the thread right now.

I just reinstalled Witcher 2 Enhanced and I plan on beating it this time, dammit. I was wondering if there are any must-have QOL mods I should get? Ages ago I used one that I think removed inventory weight from collectibles. Is that still around somewhere?

Refer to the second post of the old OP. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480522

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Turpitude posted:

I have now played through the prologue segment about 10 times and I still love it the whole way through. Foltest is built up to be the kind of guy who would actually be a leader of men and have cities being sacked for him. Amazing voice acting, dialogue, and scene setting. The part where he fires the ballista at the motherfucker who swore him eternal friendship a few weeks ago remains badass. "He ducked." "gently caress it, I'll just kill him on the walls then"

And this time I was shocked to discover something I had missed through all my previous playthroughs; during the prison escape part there is actually a secret trap door that ends up taking you through a back route to the torture chamber. For some reason I had never used it.

Not to make you play through the prologue 11 times, but you know you can actually hit that guy on the wall, right? You aim slightly below him at the platform he's on.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Thanks, Geralt, you ploughing whoreson

Cantorsdust posted:

Not to make you play through the prologue 11 times, but you know you can actually hit that guy on the wall, right? You aim slightly below him at the platform he's on.

Haha I actually didn't know that. I thought he always ducked. That motherfucker....

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Turpitude posted:

Thanks, Geralt, you ploughing whoreson

Haha I actually didn't know that. I thought he always ducked. That motherfucker....

It was a bit finicky/bugged if you were using the mouse to target, especially before EE. Still a bit wonky even now, but it's a lot better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OAquinas posted:

It was a bit finicky/bugged if you were using the mouse to target, especially before EE. Still a bit wonky even now, but it's a lot better.

If I remember correctly, you had to shoot at the dude that is standing next to Etcheverry, rather than shooting straight at him.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah the catapult was a wonderful introduction to Witcher 2.
You basically have to google a video where to aim, you'd never guess it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Bort Bortles posted:

If I remember correctly, you had to shoot at the dude that is standing next to Etcheverry, rather than shooting straight at him.

You just a I'm at the center of the woolen bit they're standing on

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Like, it's literally hinted in the game. You shoot dead center at the guy and miss because he ducked, so aim lower idiots.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Demiurge4 posted:

Like, it's literally hinted in the game. You shoot dead center at the guy and miss because he ducked, so aim lower idiots.

This is not actually true, at least not in the pre-EE version. It's legit broken.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I just figured it would take drop into account.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah it's definitely broken--it only works if you use only the arrow keys to move it. Aim directly at the dude with the feather in his cap and slightly below him. IIRC, Geralt should say "one and a half degrees."

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
IF it was taking drop into account you'd have to aim above him, unless in the witcher world gravity pulls things up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Which is why I missed. : ( You guys switch to APEX yet for us hardcore ballista enthusiasts?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

My least favorite part of the prologue (which in general I love), is that I never feel like I can make any choice other than save Aryan and carry him out of the dungeon, because 50 extra pounds of carry weight is a big drat deal.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My sweet Blue Stripes tattoo better carry over to Wild Hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

Chainsawdomy posted:

My least favorite part of the prologue (which in general I love), is that I never feel like I can make any choice other than save Aryan and carry him out of the dungeon, because 50 extra pounds of carry weight is a big drat deal.

That's a thing? I'm going through the game a third time (always saved him) but never noticed I gained that. This time I just broke down and installed a mod to make everything weightless. I ignored so much crafting the previous two times because gently caress lugging around ore and leather or forgetting it in my stash.

• Locked thread