Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Take :10bux: to a Chinese grocery and buy

1. Light soy sauce
2. Dark soy sauce
3. Shaoxing wine
4. Sesame oil
5. Corn starch
6. Black vinegar

Pretty much. Make some simple stir fry's like chicken/pork strips paired with some vegetable like choi sum or gai lan. That's pretty much any home cooking. And you can start from there.

If you don't want to have all these sauces lying around the house, go easy on getting large bottles and get smaller ones.

caber's newbie cooking list posted:

Most important garnishes you add to the wok
  1. Spring onions
  2. Ginger
  3. Garlic

4. Light soy sauce
  5. Sugar
  6. Salt
  7. Maggi
  8. Lee and Perrins
  9. Lee Kum Kee/Lao Gan ma sauce packets

I actually skipped a few things to keep it simple because I freaking hate corn starch. Just sizzle your pan with julienned ginger lots of garlic. Half cook your meats, take it out. Then cook your veggies, and when the veggies are almost done dump the meat back in. Cover for 30 secs and there you go.

quote:

Just use a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet.

Or you can stick with :siren:non-stick teflon:siren:

caberham fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

caberham posted:

Cast-iron builds character :colbert:. I mean, you ever flipped food in a cast-iron skillet? Go strain your arm, for food and justice.

But in the end just use what you've got. It won't matter.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYVi5PX4vCw

That burner.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Take :10bux: to a Chinese grocery and buy

1. Light soy sauce
2. Dark soy sauce
3. Shaoxing wine
4. Sesame oil
5. Corn starch
6. Black vinegar

Now pull out an extra :10bux: and pick up the other stuff you need for one or two recipes (though that should be enough for fish-fragrant pork and a ton of other things). You might want oyster sauce, or fermented black beans (:swoon:), or chili garlic paste, or...just find cool poo poo. You don't need premade sauces, it's all way easier than you think it'll be. Don't feel the need to get a wok right away. Just use a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet.

caberham posted:

Pretty much. Make some simple stir fry's like chicken/pork strips paired with some vegetable like choi sum or gai lan. That's pretty much any home cooking. And you can start from there.

If you don't want to have all these sauces lying around the house, go easy on getting large bottles and get smaller ones.

I actually skipped a few things to keep it simple because I freaking hate corn starch. Just sizzle your pan with julienned ginger lots of garlic. Half cook your meats, take it out. Then cook your veggies, and when the veggies are almost done dump the meat back in. Cover for 30 secs and there you go.

I have some of that stuff laying around already. for now we use non stick teflon coated crap. :( Will be changing that soon. so really i need one or two sauces and to pick up some chicken and some pork next time I'm at the store. Unfortunately the nearest asian grocer is a hour drive in Pittsburgh. So i have to rely on walmart to carry what I need until after tax time when a shopping run to the city is worth it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham and teflon is like croatoan and not brining

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

GrAviTy84 posted:

caberham and teflon is like croatoan and not brining

What's Supernatural got to do with cooking :confused:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Just wanted to stop in an tell you guys this is a great thread and the more I read it the hungrier I get. Need to buy somethings to get started.

Warning: Every time I go to an Asian store I spend 5x more than I had planned to get

"Oh they have THIS that's awesome"
"Oh I need THIS and I can't read it I guess that might be good??" *Korean dude in line tells me I picked out the best potstickers, confirmed as of last night's dinner*
"Hmm yes I am sick of just holding my rice in a big airproof container, I DO need an upright dispenser that pours out a quarter or half cup every time I press the appropriate button"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Warning: Every time I go to an Asian store I spend 5x more than I had planned to get

"Oh I need THIS and I can't read it I guess that might be good??" *Korean dude in line tells me I picked out the best potstickers, confirmed as of last night's dinner*
"Hmm yes I am sick of just holding my rice in a big airproof container, I DO need an upright dispenser that pours out a quarter or half cup every time I press the appropriate button"

Please buy Zojirushi products. That way I get more money to buy horribly over priced teflon poo poo.

Or you can get a $1000 hitachi rice cooker and be the biggest kichen baller

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I guess this might technically be a Thai food question, but how do I keep my deep fried spring rolls from exploding and spilling their innards into the oil when frying them? Touching them before they've started going gold seemed a likely culprit, but it can still happen even if I am careful. Frying one spring roll at the time is also a major drag. Am I not wrapping them tight enough? Am I using too wet filling? Too much? Wrong temperature?
Beat an egg. Seal seam with egg by dipping your finger in the little bowl with beaten egg in it and running it along the edge of the roll before you fold it up and press. Make sure you're wrapping them tight/filling them enough but NOT overfilling them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Oracle posted:

Beat an egg. Seal seam with egg by dipping your finger in the little bowl with beaten egg in it and running it along the edge of the roll before you fold it up and press. Make sure you're wrapping them tight/filling them enough but NOT overfilling them.

I'll certainly try that, but they're not bursting at the seams, they just blow a hole in the side. I'm pretty sure that the problem lies in too wet filling and not tightly enough wrapped at this point. I should make it a point to make more until I know I've got it down.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah, no kidding

I tried making fried rice a couple of weeks ago and it just didnt have that right authentic feel to it, anyone have a recipe they recommend?

I know part of the reason was that I probably overloaded the wok with too much food for how much heat the burner puts out.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I know that feeling. Shopping online is worse I think. So much stuff I want or think I could use. Yet if I order it all when it shows up it would get put away and that's where it would sit till the GF asked are you going to use this or can I give it away.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I need this kitchen thanks

e: Also I'm noticing that part of the reason I can't toss the wok properly is that my stove is much higher than in that video so the angle is super weird. Yet another reason I need to get a house so I can have a turkeyburner

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

e: Also I'm noticing that part of the reason I can't toss the wok properly is that my stove is much higher than in that video so the angle is super weird. Yet another reason I need to get a house so I can have a turkeyburner

One downside to stir frying that I don't see mentioned often in this thread is it will leave your entire house smelling for days. I'm Chinese and all our family friends either get a ridiculous powerful range hood when they get their own place or cut down on stir frying a lot.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

bamhand posted:

One downside to stir frying that I don't see mentioned often in this thread is it will leave your entire house smelling for days.

Downside?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Get a stool.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

bamhand posted:

One downside to stir frying that I don't see mentioned often in this thread is it will leave your entire house smelling for days. I'm Chinese and all our family friends either get a ridiculous powerful range hood when they get their own place or cut down on stir frying a lot.

How could that ever be considered a downside?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It just smells like you sprayed vegetable oil and smoke all over your house. My family often takes off our jackets before going into a restaurant so the smell doesn't permeate our clothes too.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Uh that's kinda weird dude

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jesus, he's spilling that rice all over the place.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stir frying will get oil all over everything forever too.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
k, so this thread made me go out and find some lao gan ma/angry lady sauce....after inspecting about 6000 jars, I FOUND it!

there were two types, one chili, one chili and black beans, I got the chili.

So, made some "all vegetable" summer rolls (red pepper, cucumber, carrot, spring onion) and a dipping sauce: 1 tablespoon soy sauce/brown sugar/lime juice, fresh ginger and a teaspoon of the lao gan ma.
it tasted excellent!!

Now, question:
when I opened the jar, on top of the chili sauce/paste, there were two tiny cubes, slightly resembling tofu?? is that normal? Wil I be killed dead when I eat it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No clue, but I want to tell you to get the chili bean sauce too. It's great for cooking. The chili garlic bean sauce has a super umami salty garlicy flavor that mellows when you use it as a base for a sauce. Pair with the Chinese trinity of minced garlic, ginger and green onions for a super authentic stir fry anything sauce.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
This reminded me of my favorite movie scene ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoH4bUL5vc
:allears:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It smells just like a Chinese family household :china:

bamhand posted:

It just smells like you sprayed vegetable oil and smoke all over your house. My family often takes off our jackets before going into a restaurant so the smell doesn't permeate our clothes too.

That's why Chinese families hate open kitchens. But then again, cooking steak makes your house smell pretty bad as well. The video I linked was probably from Taiwan and the guy had the burner in his balcony.

Arglebargle III posted:

Stir frying will get oil all over everything forever too.

Except for MeramJert. His house and kitchen is loving spotless. And he cooks all the time.

Even master Chefs sprays rice all over the counter :eng99: Well the guy in the video was good, but not master chef good. Think he would get yelled at the fancier places for spillage.

totalnewbie posted:

Get a stool.

There's a famous dude in Macau nicknamed as "small turtle" He's really short and used to stir fry on a stool. But I guess he's a much richer man now so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjxxrrHt7P0

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually, you know how to reduce the smell of grease? Get a teflon :tviv:

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

ascendance posted:

Like with all super tough, rubbery foods (conch, etc) there is a simple solution: slice it super thin.

Growing up, my parents regularly made stir fried dried shredded octopus or cuttlefish, and shredded jicama.

Made a pound of octopus and cutting it paper thin worked perfect. used a little Saracha and oil and it came our perfect! Thanks for the advice!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Get a stool.

It's dumb how a) I did not think of this and 2) how well it helped me

i did a cabbage-carrot-onion stir-fry with a little bit of meat I had marinated beforehand and it came out incredibly well. I was able to actually toss into the flame and (while making a mess) I think it resulted in a better dish. This is confirmed by parties who do not give a poo poo about anything related to cooking.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

caberham posted:

That's why Chinese families hate open kitchens. But then again, cooking steak makes your house smell pretty bad as well.

Ugh, god, my roommate cooks steaks on a George Foreman all the drat time, including the wee hours of the morning because his schedule is incredibly weird (gets up at 1 AM to go work out for a few hours, etc.) so I'll wake up to this smell.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

caberham posted:

cooking steak makes your house smell pretty bad as well.

How the hell are you people cooking steak?

I mentioned the smell thing to my girlfriend (as we were coming home after I had stir fried last night for dinner) and she said "I assume they mean they'd come home and smell it and think `man I could really go for more stir fry` and then realize they ate it all"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hot sizzling cast iron pan and smoky oil. Yeah, the house can smell pretty strong. Or cooking hamburgers.

Preference wise I don't really care because I just associate it with cooking.

But I hate cooking smells stuck to my clothes though. Guess I can just air my clothes out

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anything that creates a lot aerosolized oil (wok cooking, high heat burger/steak searing) makes smells that are nice when you're cooking but may linger and smell bad later.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

caberham posted:

But I hate cooking smells stuck to my clothes though. Guess I can just air my clothes out

Or cook naked, just watch out for the balls, I guess
http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=64772

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Most of my family have some sort of garage or outdoor cooking set up for frying and other smelly cooking.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
I'm looking to get a turkey fryer so I can not only deep fry lots of wings but also use it for stir fry with a wok and homebrewing beer. plus the girlfriend wants non of these things done in the house. So if I want to do them its outside I go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my plan is to build an outdoor kitchen for my big green egg and put a turkey burner into the coutertop next to it

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

How the hell are you people cooking steak?

I mentioned the smell thing to my girlfriend (as we were coming home after I had stir fried last night for dinner) and she said "I assume they mean they'd come home and smell it and think `man I could really go for more stir fry` and then realize they ate it all"

If I cook a steak indoors I set off my smoke detector for pretty much an hour straight even with all the windows open and fans on them

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

my plan is to build an outdoor kitchen for my big green egg and put a turkey burner into the coutertop next to it

Yeah, we have this decent size covered concrete pad next to the garage that I really want to convert into an outdoor kitchen & grilling area. I'd like to build a table with an insert for my egg so I have an actual workspace for grilling and get a wok burner/homebrew burner set up out there too.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I live down the street from about three thousand Peruvian restaurants so I am used to the smell of a poo poo ton of smoking cooking oil. There are times where the street is pretty drat hazy from the smoke. I love it but it's probably cancer.

BraveUlysses posted:

My old roommate got one and built a sick table with prep surface, and now I want to outdo him when I get a house and do exactly this. Also make it covered so I can cook all year.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

paraquat posted:

k, so this thread made me go out and find some lao gan ma/angry lady sauce....after inspecting about 6000 jars, I FOUND it!

there were two types, one chili, one chili and black beans, I got the chili.

So, made some "all vegetable" summer rolls (red pepper, cucumber, carrot, spring onion) and a dipping sauce: 1 tablespoon soy sauce/brown sugar/lime juice, fresh ginger and a teaspoon of the lao gan ma.
it tasted excellent!!

Now, question:
when I opened the jar, on top of the chili sauce/paste, there were two tiny cubes, slightly resembling tofu?? is that normal? Wil I be killed dead when I eat it?

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

And yeah, those cubes are tiny fried tofu cubes and they are spicy , crunchy (or sometimes chewy) and also delicious.
LGM black bean sauce is also excellent, but in different circumstances - this recipe is p. good:

http://jonoandjules.com/tag/laoganma-black-bean-sauce/

Also a very nice dumpling sauce I found somewhere or possibly invented is 3 parts light soy, 2 parts Chinkiang vinegar, I part (or more) LGM chili crisp, plus maybe a pinch of soft brown sugar.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2015