Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I know I just posted about being back but now that I'm a couple days in again, oh my God I feel incredible.

I had been just moping around playing videogames feeling lame and kinda down the past few months being crippled. Now I'm remembering how much this helped with my confidence. And the gwanjangnim has a friend I guess who owns a krav maga gym. Don't know if krav maga is bullshit in Korea as often as it is in America but whatever, they did some deal together and we're getting free lessons as a group on the weekends if we want. So, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ICHIBAHN posted:

So after boxing last night, I've a whole new level or respect for those who are able to clown about with their arms down. How the gently caress. I couldn't stand sparring (first time ever), though I did, but doing it with no hands down is ridiculous.

Back to BJJ today, give me some advice on being more aggressive please. I've been going 4 months now and doing quite well, I think. Getting the funadmentals down, holding my own in rolling. I see myself as very reactive and defensive (maybe all beginners naturally are?) I guess part of the reason is that I'm quite strong, decent body (not lanky, not fat, limber) and have good cardio, so I'm able to hold position, or resist other peoples' attempts at sweeps or subs. Now, having just got my first tab, I've not been taught many submissions. I don't know how to apply or go for them, really, because when no-tab people spar, we're not to do subs (I know). Can anyone advise me on being more pro-active in taking a contest, aside from researching subs on my own and stuff.

Clowning with your hands down is all about head movement and tucking your chin while keeping your shoulder up. Also it's a bit hard to see the punches coming from someone doing this because we're used to seeing the shoulder move first, then the hand following. It tends to go the other way if they're starting their punch with the hands down.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How often strikers spar? In grappling you spar every day, but apparently strikers don't necessarily do that? I've heard stories about thai fighters who have an match almost every weekend and for the week they just to padwork, bagwork and conditioning, the only sparring they get are the real matches. Is this true?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

How often strikers spar? In grappling you spar every day, but apparently strikers don't necessarily do that? I've heard stories about thai fighters who have an match almost every weekend and for the week they just to padwork, bagwork and conditioning, the only sparring they get are the real matches. Is this true?

I've known fighters that fight every fortnight at the least and they spar lightly once or twice,and if they are fighting every weekend they don't spar at all.They are really interested in drilling like animals new combinations, padwork and conditioning .It seems with striking once you reach that frequency of fights and a certain level you can keep going with "very little" sparring.Another story is fighting every 3 to 4 months.That's when you get thrown in the ring like fodder so they can rev up the engines.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
We spar every thursday at my boxing club

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Lamadrid posted:

I've known fighters that fight every fortnight at the least and they spar lightly once or twice,and if they are fighting every weekend they don't spar at all.They are really interested in drilling like animals new combinations, padwork and conditioning .It seems with striking once you reach that frequency of fights and a certain level you can keep going with "very little" sparring.Another story is fighting every 3 to 4 months.That's when you get thrown in the ring like fodder so they can rev up the engines.

I think this is extremely interesting. I haven't really practiced striking that much so the idea of not sparring all the time is very foreign to me. In judo you spar like 60% of the time, it's pretty normal to warm up for 20 minutes, often involving throwing drills or ground work, then practice tehnique for 15-20 minutes and then spar for the rest 50 minutes. Sometimes you warm up with ground grappling for 20 minutes and then spar for 45 minutes and 15 minutes of conditioning in the end. Some days are more technique based but you still spar at least 15 minutes every session. Grappling is more about finding the place for your techniques through sparring, but it seems to be almost reversed in striking? Like you need to drill like a madman before you can use your stuff in a match and sparring would be more of an "verification" for your skills, so you can get the feel right (timing, distancing etc.)? Am I completely wrong on this one?

How big of an role there is for light sparring? Is it useful?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

Grappling is more about finding the place for your techniques through sparring, but it seems to be almost reversed in striking? Like you need to drill like a madman before you can use your stuff in a match and sparring would be more of an "verification" for your skills, so you can get the feel right (timing, distancing etc.)? Am I completely wrong on this one?

Yes, you are completely wrong. Sparring in striking has essentially the same place in skill development as it does in grappling. The reason there's less of it in striking isn't because of differences in learning, it's because if you sparred striking will full power with the same frequency you do in grappling you'd be punch drunk before you ever got into the ring.

Live training in striking is a careful balance between sparring enough to develop your skills, but not so much that the wear and tear on your body and brain adds up.

quote:

How big of an role there is for light sparring? Is it useful?

Light sparring can be useful as a supplement to heavy sparring. If it's all you do, you'll develop bad habits and your timing will be off.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

For non-pros live sparring is the most interesting part of the class.And the one that really makes you learn the most.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Yes, you are completely wrong. Sparring in striking has essentially the same place in skill development as it does in grappling. The reason there's less of it in striking isn't because of differences in learning, it's because if you sparred striking will full power with the same frequency you do in grappling you'd be punch drunk before you ever got into the ring.

Live training in striking is a careful balance between sparring enough to develop your skills, but not so much that the wear and tear on your body and brain adds up.

Makes sense. I've been interested in learning stand up for years and years, but every time I start again with either boxing or combat sambo and it has come time to spar, I've found myself from the floor, not like after a complete blackout, but after losing the control of my body from a punch. Either that or some other thing, like a powerful low kick leaving me limping for a day or two. I think I've sparred full-contact about 30 times in my life and 20 of them have ended like that. I understand that it's not a tickling contest and if it just means that I'm too much of a pussy to practice stand up, I accept that, but I'm just wondering if I've just had bad experiences with gyms or is this how it is generally done? I often go straight to a night shift after the evening's practice session, so going there with a split headache or a limping leg is too much of a deal to me, so I've stuck with grappling.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Your training partners sound like massive assholes.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

[..] time to spar, I've found myself from the floor, not like after a complete blackout, but after losing the control of my body from a punch.

[...]powerful low kick leaving me limping for a day or two.

I think I've sparred full-contact about 30 times in my life and 20 of them have ended like that.

[...]I'm just wondering if I've just had bad experiences with gyms or is this how it is generally done?

[...] a split headache or a limping leg is too much of a deal to me, so I've stuck with grappling.

Unless I'm a giant pansy, I'm pretty sure your partners are going way too drat hard. I've been rocked with shots that have left me dazed for a second or two, I've gotten bloody noses and black eyes on occasion. But, drat, never anything that *hurts* for a day or two afterwards! Or at the very least, drops me cold!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aight, class time. Be aggressive. Cheers lads and girls.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Lamadrid posted:

Your training partners sound like massive assholes.

Dolemite posted:

Unless I'm a giant pansy, I'm pretty sure your partners are going way too drat hard.

Yeah, I've started to think that but way too late. I'm in my early twenties so I'm still pretty young, so some things I've just taken for too granted and just though "welp, fighting sure hurts" and tried to stick to it. After giving up I've thought about starting again and had the same results. It kinda seems to be a cultural thing in this town and it's combat sports scene, I don't know what's up with that. Maybe something in the water. With grappling it doesn't matter because unless accidents happen, you just get thrown and you tap out.

I typed "sparring" into youtube search and what I found was largely way softer than what I have done myself in the local gyms. I mean something like this looks pretty good. Is this intestity effective training?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yeah, I've started to think that but way too late. I'm in my early twenties so I'm still pretty young, so some things I've just taken for too granted and just though "welp, fighting sure hurts" and tried to stick to it. After giving up I've thought about starting again and had the same results. It kinda seems to be a cultural thing in this town and it's combat sports scene, I don't know what's up with that. Maybe something in the water. With grappling it doesn't matter because unless accidents happen, you just get thrown and you tap out.

I typed "sparring" into youtube search and what I found was largely way softer than what I have done myself in the local gyms. I mean something like this looks pretty good. Is this intestity effective training?

I watched the video and yeah, that's about how hard we go on average at my gym.

When our gym runs a "fight camp" to prep our fighters for an upcoming competition, then we might go a little harder. But, not by much.

At the end of the day, your partners should go hard enough that you're forced to have good defense and technique (or eat a punch), but not so hard that you almost get knocked out. Luckily at the gym I go to, everyone is chill. Everyone gets it - sparring is learning, not fighting.

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 7, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
There are so many extremities from the Chute Boxe go at 100% almost every day to what (iirc) Team Alpha Male does after Duane Ludvig was their head coach for a while, which is go at 70% - twice a week.

James Toney is a good example of a fighter who "cheated" with his training camps: he absolutely hates conditioning so instead of morning runs and the heavy bag, he would spar 30 rounds every day. you can listen to 60 seconds of this interview to determine what it did to him. And he's less slurry than usually IMO.

BJJ clubs seem to be a lot more consistent with grappling. I mean, everyone rolls everywhere, right, and just about every class. Sparring in striking depends on the club and the targets of the people training so much the variations are wild.

Light sparring lets you practice and try stuff and learn technique without to fear of getting KO'd. You must do it. In heavy sparring you will discover if you can walk through punches and what you can take, and it will unlearn you from habits which will get you floored. Both are required. But anyway just about everything about this has already been said above by ya'll guyz.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The JRE podcast with Duke Roufus is chilling when Duke starts talking about the old Miletich Fighting Systems sparring days.Dudes getting wrecked for an hour every week, full on war, tough dudes walking in looking to scrap, petty criminals and all that poo poo.So Duke (himself under fire due to one of his fighters dying in the ring ) asks him about the hardness of the sparring and Pat looks him dead in the eye and mutters:"you gotta thin the herd"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dolemite posted:

I watched the video and yeah, that's about how hard we go on average at my gym.

At the end of the day, your partners should go hard enough that you're forced to have good defense and technique (or eat a punch), but not so hard that you almost get knocked out. Luckily at the gym I go to, everyone is chill. Everyone gets it - sparring is learning, not fighting.

I think the intensity is about what I see at my gym, but since it's MMA standup sparring, I'm surprised by the low work rate. I keep expect twice the strike volume. We spar 3min, 45s rest, and starting amateur fights are 2min, 1min rest.

At my gym, when there's a mismatch in skill / intensity, the coach supervising will tell the sparrers to go lighter or to slow it down. I think it's even more important that the coaches impose this than the fighters, who are gonna get tunnel vision and can't think calmly all the time.

Even if you spar responsibly, you're gonna take damage in this hobby unlike most. I remember one night last winter, I was biking home and slipped on black ice twice, the second time sliding 15 feet while tangled up with the bike. I got pretty banged up and cut my shin open. I woke up the next day and realized I wasn't nearly as sore as some days mornings after sparring. It might not all be shots to the head, but your muscles and joints can really ache.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Here, watch some unitard frog fighting. Awesome head movement, slips and turns from a fighter who needs to be worried about kicks (although not knees). He just teleports out of the way of incoming poo poo.

edit: oh and every striker could learn from those sidesteps into kicks and angle changes. Our younger fighters have been winning most of the boxing events they participate in recently because they swich angles so well (of course plenty of other reasons but on average they are elusive), and guys from our Savate competition team have recently started going to Muay Thai club invite competitions - and they are wrecking the MT fighters, fighting at their rules :)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 8, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Man teach me more, I would love to do some kickin' dudes, savate looks fun

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Went to a Judo tournament yesterday and felt the crushing blow of defeat with a 350 pound man splashed me in my first match and hurt my knee. I now know the value of knee pads in the heavyweight category.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

That savate duder has zero power behind his punches tho.His (hilariously) kicking dudes from a mile away square in the face and they just keep standing and going for him.But the angles and movement is sick nasty.I specially like the side step to low kick and getting behind the opponent (easier said than done).

MT in the traditional sense is very plodding and basic when it comes to footwork, you square with dude, stand in front of him, and just blast each other for 5 rounds.I think Kamsing one of the very first thais to win a gold medal in olympic boxing brought a more dinamic footwork game to MT with hilarious results.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Here, watch some unitard frog fighting. Awesome head movement, slips and turns from a fighter who needs to be worried about kicks (although not knees). He just teleports out of the way of incoming poo poo.

edit: oh and every striker could learn from those sidesteps into kicks and angle changes. Our younger fighters have been winning most of the boxing events they participate in recently because they swich angles so well (of course plenty of other reasons but on average they are elusive), and guys from our Savate competition team have recently started going to Muay Thai club invite competitions - and they are wrecking the MT fighters, fighting at their rules :)

Footwork, best work. I still think that my first coach spending a good five to ten minutes after class having a light sparring session where I couldn't throw punches or kicks and could only move and defend was the best thing for later on in martial arts. To this day even when I haven't trained in a while (often cause I'm lazy) and go to have a sparring session or get back into it for a few weeks even if my punching and kicking is a little out I can still protect myself by moving well. It still amazes me watching professional fighters with poo poo footwork. smdh

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

BlindSite posted:

It still amazes me watching professional fighters with poo poo footwork. smdh

MMA makes me crazy when pro-fighters can't do any throws or takedowns other than the double-leg or single leg. I understand that the rules really don't favor takedowns at all so it doesn't make too much sense to practice throws that much, but it still is pretty jarring when a dude who fights for a living is at loss with such an integral part of fighting.

Also when you get a fighter like Ronda Rousey and she does 20+ ippon throws in a match and that seems to do gently caress all sports wise it sucks a bit.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Shot in the dark. I'm interested in Kung Fu and Taiji and will be moving to Northern Virginia (Falls Church) in a week. Does anyone here practice Traditional Chinese Martial Arts in this area? So far my searches have reaped this Jow Ga and Taiji school, which looks promising, but not much else unless I want to train in MD. I would prefer to avoid going into MD during rush hour. My other concern is I used to train martial arts, and was fairly fit, but after my teacher (who was also my father) died I got out of practice, and thanks to some medications I weigh in at about 300 pds at 6 foot even. I know I have a tough road ahead of me, but I'm willing to work if the school is willing to work with me.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We were working armbars and keylocks from full mount today, so, sparring was fun. Hunting for armbars. Excellent stuff. Didn't manage to catch anyone, we were only rolling for a few minutes and of course everyone was aware of what was being pursued but it was a good experience.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I rolled this weekend after being sick for a few weeks. Goddamn it sucked because apparently there was still mucus in my lungs and I had to take frequent breaks to cough and blow my nose.

Also despite doing a shitload of stretching I managed to pull both calf muscles while defending takedowns.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Muay Thai Goons I really need some new gloves but I'm on a budget any of you guys know a good pair for about £40 or so???

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't know if they're international but meister makes good cheap stuff

I love my fairtex 16 oz ones but yeah not the cheapest

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
You can occasionally find Fairtex ones within that price range. You just need to watch Amazon, or check the thai sites. Here's a pile of them. I don't know about shipping to where you are.

http://www.muaythaifactory.com/muay-thai-gear.asp

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Here's 230 lbs of fat dressed in fancy new pink Mr. Jihad tee and some pink wrist wraps. I really need to order some Pony Club Grappling Gear spats to get my gym style on for real!!11

One chick had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles spats and another dude had a Laser Unicorn shirt. I think we're slowly getting there. I think it's unfair only grapplers seem to have really neat stuff to wear right now. I'm thinking maybe Wolf Moon would be suitable.

Lamadrid posted:

That savate duder has zero power behind his punches tho.His (hilariously) kicking dudes from a mile away square in the face and they just keep standing and going for him.But the angles and movement is sick nasty.I specially like the side step to low kick and getting behind the opponent (easier said than done).

Yup Savate fighters use (even high) kicks more like a boxer would use jabs. They look to score points while nudging and unbalacing you first, loving with your game and make you feel like "poo poo I can't do anything", and rarely even look for a KO. Punches are used more to wear the other guy out and score the odd point from exchanges.

It's more about pouring constant volume with perfect distance (like you identified) and changing angles. The rule of the game for them is "Hit them, while not getting hit".

That said, most of the Savate fights or compilations found online are fought between really light fighters (the best savateur is tall for his weight, rangy, in wispy as a willow). Like the vid I posted. When you get to the 80kg+ range, yeah, they knock each other the gently caress out. Having a 6'3 tall full contact kickboxer tagging you in the neck with his power leg is not fun when he has a shoe on to boot.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You can get them shipped from Thailand generally cheap if you don't mind waiting 2-4 weeks. Best to find a bunch of stuff you want and place an order i guess

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I got the top king super air for 52€ shipped from thailand to spain.

cptInsane0 posted:

You can occasionally find Fairtex ones within that price range. You just need to watch Amazon, or check the thai sites. Here's a pile of them. I don't know about shipping to where you are.

http://www.muaythaifactory.com/muay-thai-gear.asp

Right here ^^^^^

Legit stuff, but they are too big for 12 oz.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Ugh... Choke day is the worst day. I keep catching myself thinking I'm getting the flu (again) because my throat is sore. "Oh wait a burly man wrapped his loving hands around my windpipe..."

Canne de Combat looks funky as heck. Has anyone practiced it? Belt colors? gently caress that. Pommel colors.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

General Emergency posted:

Ugh... Choke day is the worst day. I keep catching myself thinking I'm getting the flu (again) because my throat is sore. "Oh wait a burly man wrapped his loving hands around my windpipe..."

For the choke, there is no tough guy.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Lamadrid posted:

I got the top king super air for 52€ shipped from thailand to spain.

Right here ^^^^^

Legit stuff, but they are too big for 12 oz.

Yeah I've spent a while looking through, I think I might stick with my crusty old gloves for a few more weeks so I can get a pair of Top King's I'vefound a design I've fallen in love with, could do with some new shinpad's to so might as well go for both.

Thanks for the help punchdudes.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

General Emergency posted:

This might seem like a controversial statement, but I think you're experiencing one of the most common and widespread mistakes that people make when learning chokes. Everyone wants to hold out and be the tough guy, refusing to tap until the last possible second, so instructors snap on the choke like they're trying to take your head off, then the students think they need to train with that same level of intensity, and everyone goes home with self-inflicted sore throats for the week.

But here's the thing: Chokes don't need to cause pain to be effective. Chokes aren't like other subs where you're essentially using pain to demonstrate your ability to cause debilitating joint damage. When choking, you're just trying to compress some rubbery tubes in the other guy's neck to interrupt the flow of blood and oxygen to his brain. They don't even have to feel it. So you don't need to emulate the guys who slam on chokes and leave you with a bruised neck and trouble swallowing for days- the ones who should impress you are the guys who can slip on a choke so quietly that you don't even notice it's happened until you're already struggling to stay awake long enough to tap. All it takes is precise, steady pressure (and blood chokes only need 1/6th the effective pressure required for finishing trachea chokes). Training to apply consistent pressure to the artery is much better than trying to apply maximum force to the whole throat and neck. So be safe and tap early, you're not doing yourself any favors when you train to the point of injury, even though macho gym culture may try to convince you otherwise.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 10, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So what's the deal with people a bit more serious about boxing or muay thai? Pair of 12 oz for bag work and 16 for sparring? I just use my 16oz fairtex ones for everything

Anyone recommend a good mesh/breathable gym bag? I have a small meister one but getting my shin guards and gloves in there is a pain and if I start carrying two gloves...
Bonus points for backpack option

Looking at this meister one

http://www.amazon.com/Meister-MMA-C...ter+mma+gym+bag

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 10, 2015

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Hey goons, what's the best way to stretch to enhance your recovery? Never been much of a strecher but jesus christ I'm at that point where I absolutely have to. So how long should the stretches be and how often should I do them? 30-60 seconds per stretch and two or three rounds or what?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I made an effort post on stretching in another sub. Get a foam roller if you don't have one already and a lacrosse ball. One of these if you're a baller http://www.roguefitness.com/mobilitywod-super-nova

The most important stretching is dynamic, static, and PNF. There are a ton of different types of stretching but that's all you should really care about. Static is what you're used to. Dynamic is things like leg swings and such. Dynamic is usually part of a warmup and static should never be done when you're cold and only at the end of workouts. There's evidence that static stretching before a workout decreases your strength. If you must static before at least do a warmup. You should always warmup before you start lifting. 3-5 minutes of biking and some dynamic stretching should be good.

PNF stretching is arguably the most effective form of stretching. You shouldn't do it more than 3 times a week as it is seen as a form of strength training. There's different guidelines you'll find online. Ideally you'd do it with a partner or towel or band or some poo poo. Anyways, you stretch for 20 seconds or so and then flex against the resistance/contract the muscles/area being stretched for 3-6 seconds, relax, and then go deeper into the stretch. Repeat this 3-4 times per stretch.

You should always hold a stretch for 15-30 seconds. From what I've read there's been no proven benefit of holding for longer than 30. But go for at least 30. I'd do each stretch 2-4 times holding for at least 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Here are some guides I've been following for stretching and mobility from a moderator of the fitness subreddit (decent resource when people aren't posting dumb reddit things):

http://phraktured.net/molding-mobility.html
http://phraktured.net/starting-stretching.html

I also bought a Triggerpoint foam roller and roll for ~10 min after every workout. Calves, hamstrings, thighs, hips, glutes, upper back and (very light) neck are usually what I hit. There are some decent youtube tutorials out there for rolling. I even remember seeing a reddit post that had UFC flyweight Ian McCall demoing several foam rolling techniques in animated gif form, but I can't find it now....

• Locked thread