Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone know of a decent case like this with a screen protector and built in kickstand for landscape viewing?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MO...&pf_rd_i=mobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

MLB is rolling them out to all their ballparks.

And if anyone should know, it's Jose Oquendo. :v:

I was talking to the head of IT for the Cardinals about this time last year and he said they were installing iBeacons at the ballpark in the 2014 season, but the MLB apps didn't really seem to do anything special when I tried using it at all anytime during the season. I was kind of hoping for an app that would tell me the closest food options near me and where I could get a beer that wasn't Budweiser.

Went to a few games at AT&T Park too, which supposedly had iBeacons, and the only thing I got was my phone prompting me to check in on the app.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is there something weird going on with the App Store in general or is my phone just acting a fool?

Yesterday I had 1 update available which I tried to apply, but it said it couldn't update, no matter whether I was on LTE or Wi-Fi. Restarting my phone fixed this, but then today I have 4 updates and I tried to apply them but they got like 99% of the way done and they're just hanging. They've been this way for over an hour. The App Store won't even say "Failed to update" or anything like that.

I guess I'll restart my phone again and see it that resolves this issue, but I shouldn't have to do this every time I have an app update available.

E: Okay, so I restarted and all the updates showed as active but they weren't doing anything, so I cancelled them all and then hit Update All and they updated fine after that :confused:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 5, 2015

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I do this thing where my friends will send me a photo in a message and I will open it and zoom in on their face, screenshot it, and sent it back to them. It's always super weird and good for a laugh; everyone's face looks creepy totally zoomed in.

However, when using this method your phone's time/battery level/etc still show on the top of the screen - super annoying. Even if you did this for a non lulz thing it's still dumb. When I'm viewing a photo the info at the top should go the gently caress away.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

ShoogaSlim posted:

I do this thing where my friends will send me a photo in a message and I will open it and zoom in on their face, screenshot it, and sent it back to them. It's always super weird and good for a laugh; everyone's face looks creepy totally zoomed in.

However, when using this method your phone's time/battery level/etc still show on the top of the screen - super annoying. Even if you did this for a non lulz thing it's still dumb. When I'm viewing a photo the info at the top should go the gently caress away.

Edit and crop the photo?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

GigaPeon posted:

Edit and crop the photo?

Need to save it to your photos first. Just seems unnecessary for a quick goof. A lot of what I complain about in this thread is minor poo poo but it's still stuff that stands out to me. Whatever

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get annoyed because the time doesn't show when browsing safari or the awful app in landscape mode, so I have to flip to portrait to know if break or lunch or whatever is over.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If nothing else too I've found that under some conditions that I haven't been able to exactly understand yet, there's an iOS 8 bug that can cause the status bar to just vanish -- you just see the nav bar as usual, but unadorned up top. I'm pretty sure it's an iOS bug somewhere as I've seen it happen in the App Store, Messages, and in my own company's app.

If you leave the app and head back to the home screen the status bar is there, but switch back to the app and it's gone. You have to swipe it away from the task switcher to "kill it" and then reopen it to get your status bar back.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Case in point iOS 8 sucks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

If nothing else too I've found that under some conditions that I haven't been able to exactly understand yet, there's an iOS 8 bug that can cause the status bar to just vanish -- you just see the nav bar as usual, but unadorned up top. I'm pretty sure it's an iOS bug somewhere as I've seen it happen in the App Store, Messages, and in my own company's app.

If you leave the app and head back to the home screen the status bar is there, but switch back to the app and it's gone. You have to swipe it away from the task switcher to "kill it" and then reopen it to get your status bar back.

The opposite happens for me, my safari buttons at the bottom vanish. The bar is there, but it's blank. Safari is buggy as poo poo in ios 8.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New program called PhoneExpander getting good press. Clears out iPhone temp files, caches, and other crap that may be stuck in "Other". Especially useful if you're stuck on a 16gb iPhone.

Free beta for now. http://phoneexpander.com

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

FCKGW posted:

New program called PhoneExpander getting good press. Clears out iPhone temp files, caches, and other crap that may be stuck in "Other". Especially useful if you're stuck on a 16gb iPhone.

Worth mentioning that this is Mac only. No Windows version. :-(

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yea another bug that plagues safari and the awful app is sometimes when you click a YouTube link from either of those apps, once the video is over, clicking "done" does nothing. You are essentially stuck on the video in full screen mode. I have to manually close the app and reopen to get back to browsing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Speaking of the Done "button" - nearly every single time I'm watching a video and go to exit that video screen I somehow miss tapping the word Done. I feel like it's the most sensitive aspect of the entire UI. Sometimes I'm a little too high up, something I hit it too softly? (I know this is wrong but it's what it feels like) and I eventually just smoosh my thumb across the entire area. It's annoying.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Sorry if this question is asked a lot, but do all iPhone 6 and 6+ 's support both ATT and Verizon's LTE bands? I remember reading you could swap SIM cards in the 5 's and everything except LTE would work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

It's not free but PhoneClean has worked great for me. Very granular as well.

(It has a Windows version, but I've only ever used the Mac version)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
My 5S has been randomly freezing and requiring a hard reboot. I did a restore over the weekend and it got stuck halfway through downloading my apps. Most of them are in the faded out state, and tapping on them just makes it say "Waiting." I can manually start the download from the app store, but that overwrites any data that was supposed to come through in the restore. (Lost all my Drop7 scores dating back to 2009 :argh:) On top of that, I've still had random freezes occur.

So, two my lines of inquiry:

1) Is there a way to get at crash logs or anything on iOS so I can see if this is a software problem the restore didn't fix, or a hardware problem?

2) Is it possible for me to jump-start all these app downloads? Will that even restore the data that was supposed to already come down? If not, is there any way I can access an older iCloud backup? There's some stuff I'd be bummed to lose. I'm glad everything important was synced with Dropbox or some other web service.

Moral of the story: Don't trust iCloud backup if you don't have to. :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tofes posted:

Sorry if this question is asked a lot, but do all iPhone 6 and 6+ 's support both ATT and Verizon's LTE bands? I remember reading you could swap SIM cards in the 5 's and everything except LTE would work.
Yes, they're the same model. There's reports of unlocked models working on Verizon, but I wouldn't personally count on it if that's what you're thinking. A Verizon model will work 100% on AT&T, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does iTunes Match work well these days?

I kind of need to have access to my iTunes library away from my main computer and it seems like a problem to use an NAS since the library needs to work on windows and OS X at the same time.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

I kind of need to have access to my iTunes library away from my main computer and it seems like a problem to use an NAS since the library needs to work on windows and OS X at the same time.
Spotify Premium is a better option if your library overlaps enough, but iTunes Match isn't nearly as awful as it used to be.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It still gives me loving edited songs :argh:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Even if you have the explicit version in your library?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Spotify Premium is a better option if your library overlaps enough, but iTunes Match isn't nearly as awful as it used to be.

I'm a bit invested in the whole metadata system so as long as it works in a predictable way (keep songs that I want on my phone, sync music and metadata between computers) I'll totally drop the 28 bucks a year.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes, even if you have the explicit version in your library, assuming it matches them. If it's not matched, it uploads your version, which will of course be explicit.

It was funny when Apple gave me a $30 gift card and just told me to buy the explicit versions on iTunes (since if the explicit version is "purchased" by you, it will then serve up the correct version).

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, they're the same model. There's reports of unlocked models working on Verizon, but I wouldn't personally count on it if that's what you're thinking. A Verizon model will work 100% on AT&T, though.

Cool, thanks

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

tuyop posted:

I don't know what your specific metadata needs are, but I tagged all my poo poo with picard, and if I make any edits on my mac, they are reflected onto my other devices. Some of my stuff did get censored though. I need to get around to fixing that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't know what your specific metadata needs are, but I tagged all my poo poo with picard, and if I make any edits on my mac, they are reflected onto my other devices. Some of my stuff did get censored though. I need to get around to fixing that.

I manage everything through smart playlists that count last played, played and skip counts, and ratings. Those are the things I really need to work and it sounds like Match works well with smart playlists.

For stuff from bandcamp or whatever that might not be tagged correctly I used to use TuneUp, but I haven't had to in awhile and genres and album titles aren't that important anyway since it all goes through playlists.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tuyop posted:

Even if you have the explicit version in your library?

Yup.

This. It's weird.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yes, even if you have the explicit version in your library, assuming it matches them. If it's not matched, it uploads your version, which will of course be explicit.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It still gives me loving edited songs :argh:

Yup, that's why I turned that poo poo off a week after I bought it. Why can't apple ever get anything connected to iTunes right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm convinced iTunes is a separate division in Apple where all the incompetent people that couldn't handle the good stuff work. It's mind bogglingly terrible.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well, I made the switch and so far my precious swear words are still present. The whole thing is pretty slick, actually.

Though, yeah, iTunes is the worst on windows and barely acceptable on Mac. I have 13gb of RAM, what could possibly be making you hang, iTunes???

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I'm on windows and I have used Match for over a year now. No problems at all with matching to censored songs. Not once.

Sometimes it is a piece of poo poo when I try to stream music in the music app but besides that is has been flawless.

The best is downloading music from loving YouTube in some god awful quality mp3 and then having iTunes match the file to their high bitrate mp4 or whatever. It's like magic.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

tuyop posted:

Well, I made the switch and so far my precious swear words are still present. The whole thing is pretty slick, actually.

Though, yeah, iTunes is the worst on windows and barely acceptable on Mac. I have 13gb of RAM, what could possibly be making you hang, iTunes???

Oh man, yours freezes when loading the iTunes Store too? I thought it was just me. I just chalked it up to iTunes being iTunes.

I will say this 64bit iTunes loads faster, no more "scanning library" for random yet long lengths of time when loading.

Baby steps. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Snuffman posted:

Oh man, yours freezes when loading the iTunes Store too? I thought it was just me. I just chalked it up to iTunes being iTunes.

I will say this 64bit iTunes loads faster, no more "scanning library" for random yet long lengths of time when loading.

Baby steps. :)

Yes, this is an improvement.

The greatest improvement is to just use a Mac. It's actually just a bad program on OS X. More :stare: than :stonk:, you know?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple deserves some kind of award for shoving 12 versions of iTunes down our throat and never once stopping for a moment and asking themselves if a rewrite is appropriate.

I mean it launched in 2001 and they've been bolting junk to it ever since. While I'm sure some chunks have seen significant revision it's still very similar to those first few releases.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

xzzy posted:

Apple deserves some kind of award for shoving 12 versions of iTunes down our throat and never once stopping for a moment and asking themselves if a rewrite is appropriate.

I mean it launched in 2001 and they've been bolting junk to it ever since. While I'm sure some chunks have seen significant revision it's still very similar to those first few releases.

Really, 1998, if you consider they bought Soundjam for Mac to uses as the basis for it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

And yet it's better than it has been for a long time. Especially right around the time Windows Vista came out it was unbearable.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This just reminds me that I should PM a mod to rename the iTunes thread to "iTunes version X is out: Tell us how much you hate it".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

No need!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You're a good man, Mr Sex Parrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My wife has an iPhone 4 with iOS 5 (she never updates). She clicked on a phishing link. It spammed her entire gmail address book. She says it's now jumping around when she uses it. Could somebody be controlling her phone remotely? Anything we can do to check and/or get rid of it? TIA!