Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

PupsOfWar posted:

is that a thing?

I dunno why they would bother: their base and much of the mushy middle reflexively hates lawyers already.

I would probably play up Ooogaboomba's hoity-toity fancy elitist egghead snoot credentials.

You say that like they can't do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

PupsOfWar posted:

is that a thing?

I dunno why they would bother: their base and much of the mushy middle reflexively hates lawyers already.

I would probably play up Ooogaboomba's hoity-toity fancy elitist egghead snoot credentials.

Yes it's a thing, even for people with legitimate degrees and careers :smith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

The thing about Reagan was that he got elected at a time when the US was feeling bruised and battered. Carter spoke about malaise and the need to plan ahead for the future, and Reagan's response was basically "gently caress THAT AMERICA gently caress YEAH EVERYTHING CAN BE AWESOME FOREVER" and a LOT of people remember how good Reagan made them feel- about themselves, about America- and will never, ever allow anything to come between them and how good he made them feel.

Whenever people bring up the "Reagan made people feel good" it always makes me think of a clip I saw of him getting loving FURIOUS at some reporter while Ronnie was governor of California regarding student protests. I think the implication was that the students had some valid points and Ronnie didn't like that. I may be remembering it wrong.

There's also this

Ronald Reagan posted:

Regarding the ongoing student protests at UC Berkeley, California governor Ronald Reagan is quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle as saying: "If there has to be a bloodbath, then let's get it over with."

Makes me all warm and fuzzy, that does. That said, I'm not disputing the claim, so much as I find it incredible that he was able to make people feel that way.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

comes along bort posted:

To be fair Duke pretty much churns out stupid assholes otherwise, even if they're competent in their narrow field of interest.

loving truth

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

comes along bort posted:

To be fair Duke pretty much churns out stupid assholes otherwise, even if they're competent in their narrow field of interest.

he lives near durham, and by all accounts yes people who graduate from duke are mostly waspy pricks

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Republicans clamor to be ruled by a Muslim monarch.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31146861

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Show them a pic of that British prince in BDUs, and ask them if they want to be ruled by the British again. :unsmigghh:

(I forget if it's Harry or William, I just don't give a poo poo about the royal family)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

boxcarhobo posted:

he lives near durham, and by all accounts yes people who graduate from duke are mostly waspy pricks

Ehhh... Dukes Marine Lab and marine mammal program is pretty top notch. Pretty decent peeps, too.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, learned this just this week actually. Paul is a major neo-Confederate and a conspiracy nut, but he's apparently a legit, actually talented medical doctor.

One wonders if that would have been the case if Paul lived in the libertarian utopia that exists in his head.

He'd be a legit, actually talented bloodletter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Nothing says "I'm a fat gently caress who wouldn't set foot in a gym for all the hamburgers in hamburger town" like making fun of someone for doing more than just bench press or concentrating on working out instead of posing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
At least the one military RW shitheel on my FB feed is spending the day upset about Obama saying olden times Christians weren't exactly soft touches either.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Show them a pic of that British prince in BDUs, and ask them if they want to be ruled by the British again. :unsmigghh:

(I forget if it's Harry or William, I just don't give a poo poo about the royal family)

Prince Andrew was kind of a badass during the Falklands.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

At least the one military RW shitheel on my FB feed is spending the day upset about Obama saying olden times Christians weren't exactly soft touches either.

I don't understand how people are so unwilling to look at...you know...History to admit that people in the name of their faith did some hosed up poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I understand in a media context that was a no no, but that's about it. And if the people who boo and hiss at teleprompters and want to burn down the "lamstream" media want to explain to me why that all of a sudden matters they can be my guests.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Just remind 'em that Abdullah is also a fat nerd who was on Star Trek that one time.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

Just remind 'em that Abdullah is also a fat nerd who was on Star Trek that one time.
Also remind Republicans that he's a Muslim while they're :swoon:ing over that picture of him and going on the "that's what a real leader looks like!" circlejerk.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
If we've learned anything from Putin's sexy glamour shots, it's that Americans respond really well to photo shoots of badass autocrats ready to take the fight to the bad guys :clint:

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 6, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

VitalSigns posted:

Nothing says "I'm a fat gently caress who wouldn't set foot in a gym for all the hamburgers in hamburger town" like making fun of someone for doing more than just bench press or concentrating on working out instead of posing.

The best part of this is it made it really spot idiots who've never completed a real workout by making fun of Obama 'only' doing 15 lb lat raises.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I also wonder how many have connected into realizing that the burned pilot was a muslim?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sorry about your military autism buddy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Vahakyla posted:

I also wonder how many have connected into realizing that the burned pilot was a muslim?

when are the black muslim leaders ever going to address black on black muslim on muslim violence?!?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Vahakyla posted:

Some right-wing radio host I was listening to yesterday gave the burned pilot as one of the reasons why we need to start a war with Islam :downs:. He even mentioned that the guy was a muslim, I guess maybe he's "one of the good ones" and will spared from the bombing campaigns and forced conversion to Christianity.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

Some right-wing radio host I was listening to yesterday gave the burned pilot as one of the reasons why we need to start a war with Islam :downs:.

It extremely owns that so many people are enthusiastically in favor of the insane thing al-Qaeda and co. accuse the US of doing to drum up recruits.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Spectare ad istum stultum.

http://gawker.com/nativist-idiots-m...dium=socialflow

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Bob Marley pulled himself out of the ghetto by his boot straps and died for his religious beliefs, Rastafarian, a sect that believes Haille Selassie, who was murdered by Communists, is the resurrected Jesus Christ.

Ronald Reagan was the greatest welfare queen of them all, used his free ride and free money from the government to join a union (Screen Actors Guild) to kick start his career in Liberal Communist Hollywood, and then spent the rest of his days cashing government checks.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Necc0 posted:

The best part of this is it made it really spot idiots who've never completed a real workout by making fun of Obama 'only' doing 15 lb lat raises.

I wonder if I can make some money betting people on Twitter they can't do 3 sets of 12 of what Obama's doing with 10 lbs.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I'd bet 99% of the people ripping on him are fat idiots who haven't even been in a gym.

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.

pathetic little tramp posted:

I wonder if I can make some money betting people on Twitter they can't do 3 sets of 12 of what Obama's doing with 10 lbs.

I assure you that everyone on the Internet does that with like a hundred pounds but today's leg day so they'll have to do them later.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Barack Obama doesn't work out by lifting 1400 pound logs like Hafthor Bjornsson, and is therefore a limp-wristed pussy liberal.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Everyday man Rush Limbaugh discusses his personal Chef's use of sea salt in his gourmet cuisine while speculating why black people sink to the bottom of the Dead Sea.

quote:

RUSH: Scott in Hampton, Georgia. I'm glad you called, sir. Welcome to the EIB Network. Hello.

CALLER: Hello. It's good to talk to you, Rush. Um, I wanted to make you aware, if you're not already, about an impending environmental disaster. It involves the oceans, and it's being caused by the tendency of the higher-end restaurants to use real sea salt on their tables as seasoning. It's taking too much salt out of the oceans and the result of course is gonna be a decreased salinity of the oceans. That's going to affect the sea life, and I've not heard much about this.

RUSH: You know I'm glad you called about this actually because I was just asking my chef the other day -- who uses sea salt, by the way. Yu should know. My chef uses sea salt, and I asked, "What's the big deal with this? I mean, how's this any different than the other salt? I mean, why are we taking this stuff out of the sea? I mean, I didn't think we could eat that kind of salt. What's the big deal?" She said, "You know, all it is, it's just marketing, it's just to make the rich think they're getting something special. And it's not ground as fine as Morton's table salt is. It's just a game." She said, "You know, I just do it because it actually takes less of it since it's bigger chunks of it and so forth." But I had not heard of any threat to the environment over this.

CALLER: Well, there was a study done by a Professor Pablo Salazar, an expert out at Berkeley, and he's been testing the salinity of the Pacific now for the last 15 years, and he's detected a decrease in the amount of salt in the water. He's bringing it to the attention, I think, of the EPA, although I haven't heard that they've taken any action on it yet. But there's also another component of this. There's a racial component, because as you probably know, the salt in the sea contributes to the buoyancy of it, and as we all know black people tend to be less buoyant that white folks, and it's gonna result in their --

RUSH: Now wait.

CALLER: -- being able to enjoy the ocean less.

RUSH: Are you just throwing that in, or is that something that Professor Salazar said?

CALLER: Oh, no. No, no. That's just my own opinion, as a student of -- not a very serious student of -- physics, but I did know back in high school I learned that salt contributes to buoyancy. It makes you float more.

RUSH: Well, it does not. Have you ever swam in the Dead Sea?

CALLER: No, sir. I've never had an opportunity to do that.

RUSH: Well, if they ever run out of salt in the Pacific Ocean, Professor Salazar, don't worry about it. The Dead Sea is evaporating a little rapidly 'cause it doesn't get replenished as much with rain, but you cannot stay underwater in the Dead Sea. There is so much assault in the Dead Sea, it is so buoyant, you are absolutely right. But do you know I think when I was in Israel, somebody told me... I want to remember this right. Somebody told me that if you swallowed a cup of water from the Dead Sea you could die because the salt content is so contested. It's why it's the Dead Sea.

CALLER: Oh, goodness. I didn't know that.

RUSH: Yeah. If you ever go over there, since you're interested in sea salt and the environmental damage caused by the wanton mining of the stuff from the Pacific, you might be interested in checking that out.

CALLER: I will. I appreciate that. I hadn't thought of that. But for the people that can't afford a trip to the Dead Sea to swim, it's just gonna affect their ability to enjoy the ocean.

RUSH: Well, I know. If Professor Salazar and you happen to be right that buoyancy is threatened because of the mining of sea salt, it could be not just African-American, could be any number of people could drown, not having the right buoyancy, if they don't swim in the right salt body water.

CALLER: But not only that, it's gonna affect the... As we all know, the very lowest part of the food chain is the algae that grows in the oceans, and if this decrease in the salinity begins to hurt the algae, it's going to affect our entire food chain. And then those wealthy people that are enjoying the sea salt may not be able to have lobsters to put it on.

RUSH: It's an interesting thought. Interesting.

CALLER: Anyway, I just wanted to make you aware of that.

RUSH: It would also affect caviar. If you take the salt taste out of caviar, the rich would really be not happy about that. This is an interesting point. Pablo Salazar you say at the University of Berkeley. Okay. Sea salt. Look, folks, I don't know. Whoever heard of this stuff before? Sea salt? It is a marketing trick. It has to be. Now we found out that there may actually be some environmental depletion occurring as a result of this. See, it usually ends up being this way.

You do something to benefit the rich or to sell them something and the earth suffers.

That's how it works.

Scott, I appreciate the call. Thank you much.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/02/06/does_sea_salt_threaten_the_environment

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

big mean giraffe posted:

I'd bet 99% of the people ripping on him are fat idiots who haven't even been in a gym.

There's also Hannity, noted martial arts master

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kik2dagroin posted:

Everyday man Rush Limbaugh discusses his personal Chef's use of sea salt in his gourmet cuisine while speculating why black people sink to the bottom of the Dead Sea.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/02/06/does_sea_salt_threaten_the_environment

Sea Salt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt

quote:

Today, salt labelled "sea salt" in the US might not have actually come from the sea, as long as it meets the FDA's purity requirements.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If I had the free time I would make it my mission to get on air with Rush and somehow work in a bunch of compliments about his former NY apartment and encourage all his listeners to google it to see how a real man of the people's abode looks.

http://gawker.com/5482793/rush-limbaughs-gaudy-fifth-avenue-penthouse-is-now-for-sale/

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Rush is basically a princess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just enjoy how the thing the connection Rush finally makes in that conversation is that it might affect his precious caviar supply. That just seemed to perfectly sum Rush Limbaugh up. Man of the People, he hopes his personal chef's use of sea salt doesn't hurt his caviar.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Rush: DURRR SALINITY DONT MAKE YOU FLOAT

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Do none of these people have other bullshitters in their lives? Saying some dumb poo poo and following it with "...and that's why they call it X" might as well be printed on the bullshitter national flag. That's right up there with "I have an uncle who works at Nintendo and he said..."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
African-American bouyancy aside, am I right to assume that the human ocean desalination argument is bullshit as a starting point? Surely there's enough salt in the oceans that whatever amount people pull out of it would have a negligible impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It is bullshit and I have a feeling this guy calling in was a prank.