Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Any questions yall think I should ask this prospective employer? Things you wish you knew about before you took the job? Job in question is product development / design, mechanical engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I wanted to ask some salary advice really quick, I figure some of you might have a good idea for these numbers. I have a company I interviewed that wants a salary number but they haven't made an offer. I'm going to try to avoid answering that until they make an offer, but if they keep pushing I want to be ready with a number.

I'm working in embedded software development in a midwestern city making ~$60k right now in my first job out of school. I was considering asking for $75k, hoping to end up around $70-$72k. Does that sound reasonable?

"Negotiable" :haw:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ethiser posted:

What is your job like as a Controls Engineer? I graduated last May as a Chem. E and have been working as a Controls Engineer at a manufacturing facility and am always interested to hear what life is like for others in my line of work.

I work for a small company that makes custom manufacturing equipment for various companies/industries. They're more focused on machine building and controls is more of an afterthought. I go in after the main machine design is complete and put together a schematic/electrical panel design then work with mechanical/the customer to figure out the machine sequencing before doing the PLC program/HMI. After everything is put together, I spend a couple days debugging then its out the door. Most projects are pretty simple with pneumatic control and maybe a servo or two.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

dxt posted:

I would advise any recent or soon to be EE graduates to try and get into Controls Engineering (PLC programming), it's a really nice niche to be into right now. I make way too much money for how easy my job is.

I kinda wanted to do this, but I decided to ~*follow my dreams*~ and work in power systems. I'd imagine that there's lots of crossover between the two, though, I'm hoping to make that leap at some point in my career after passing the PE exam.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
There is a certain baseline knowledge that will translate between platforms, but I've heard as to implementation that Switchgear/IEC61850GOOSE PLCs are night-and-day vs manufacturing DCS / PLCs.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just starting to look at getting a second bachelors (first was in accounting from the lovely university of phoenix, then 10 years in the military as an officer-currently looking at getting out).

I'd like to be more of a worker-bee and just have some projects and work on them to completion, rather than leading a bunch of multi-level things that I rarely see the end of before I transfer every few years. Though I like working with my hands which would put be more on the technician side of things, I think a few engineering fields could interest me.

One that appealed to me is petroleum engineering. In the military (Coast Guard), I've done lots of vessel inspections and started out in Houston inspecting tons of oil tankers and seeing the vessel side of the market/operations. Even though gas prices are low right now and profits are on the decline, I really don't see oil production disappearing anytime soon, so it seems like it would be a good market to get into (though this would probably be 4-5 years away from now when I graduate).

Possible cons would be (at least I think):

1) Having to work on an off-shore rig, or in lovely locations (many places in the Gulf)
2) Long hours at those lovely locations

Pros are obviously the money-it seems like it would command the highest salary of any fields I have looked at with just a bachelor's. However, would getting a degree in petroleum engineering severely limit me if I wanted to do something else?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

nwin posted:

Just starting to look at getting a second bachelors (first was in accounting from the lovely university of phoenix, then 10 years in the military as an officer-currently looking at getting out).

I'd like to be more of a worker-bee and just have some projects and work on them to completion, rather than leading a bunch of multi-level things that I rarely see the end of before I transfer every few years. Though I like working with my hands which would put be more on the technician side of things, I think a few engineering fields could interest me.

One that appealed to me is petroleum engineering. In the military (Coast Guard), I've done lots of vessel inspections and started out in Houston inspecting tons of oil tankers and seeing the vessel side of the market/operations. Even though gas prices are low right now and profits are on the decline, I really don't see oil production disappearing anytime soon, so it seems like it would be a good market to get into (though this would probably be 4-5 years away from now when I graduate).

1) Having to work on an off-shore rig, or in lovely locations (many places in the Gulf)

Pros are obviously the money-it seems like it would command the highest salary of any fields I have looked at with just a bachelor's. However, would getting a degree in petroleum engineering severely limit me if I wanted to do something else?

I would recommend getting a Petroleum Engineering degree from UH. I was looking at getting a Masters there (before alcohol and the PE idea hit me) and it was really badass who taught courses there. The cons you mention are almost non-existant amoung people with degrees because most Petroleum Engineers work at operating companies doing office type work. You could end up working for a service company as a field engineer or responsible for a single tool, but that is more of a personal choice. Right now would be one of the worst times to enter the industry though, but the 2-3 years it would take to get a degree, it may be a decent time to hit the job market again.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

nwin posted:

I work in EHS (I'm an environmental engineer) and we quite literally could use someone who knows a lot about vessel inspections in the coming months. I'll send you a PM.

For content I started out as a molecular biology major and found my way to engineering. Best decision I ever made

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
EDIT: nvm, figured it out

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 9, 2015

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
So two weeks ago I got elected (by default, but who cares?) as VP of our IEEE Student Chapter and I will also be switching roles on my other club from Treasurer to Webmaster. I don't know, I felt like sharing that.

In other news I had a software engineer internship interview that I hosed up. First half went well, although due to lack of time to prepare some of my answers were lovely, but second half I dun goofed. It was coding and I didn't take into account the changing size of the array so I couldn't finish the problem and all I can really say is I am disappointed in myself. Either way at least now I know what to expect in future coding interviews since this was my first one ever.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I feel like almost everyone fucks up something in an interview.

I had my second interview with this engineering firm in January and I flubbed on a question or two. I was really embarrassed but the rest of the interview went well enough that they're having me visit the place in the few weeks to make me an offer. If it's a job you're really interested in, follow up with them.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
I did. The following morning I sent them a thank you e-mail and at the end of the interview they (the two senior project managers interviewing me) gave me their business cards and employment forms but it wasn't an offer. They told me they'd follow up with me in a couple weeks, though.

On the bright side we have the engineering career fair in two weeks so hopefully I can snag a couple interviews/business cards from that.

I have a question though. If I don't manage to get an internship then what should I do for the summer? The last two summers I took classes at a CC but if I were to take classes this summer I'd have to take them at my uni and I'd get boned for $3-4k so I'd rather not. I can keep working my part time job (go full time for the summer to occupy myself). Since I just switched to EE over from Math I haven't taken any super important classes yet so I doubt I could do research either. Thoughts?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I think you're overestimating the skillset required to do research for a professor as an undergrad. I would definitely talk to your professors about it if you don't have any other plans for the the summer.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dangerous Mind posted:

I did. The following morning I sent them a thank you e-mail and at the end of the interview they (the two senior project managers interviewing me) gave me their business cards and employment forms but it wasn't an offer. They told me they'd follow up with me in a couple weeks, though.

On the bright side we have the engineering career fair in two weeks so hopefully I can snag a couple interviews/business cards from that.

I have a question though. If I don't manage to get an internship then what should I do for the summer? The last two summers I took classes at a CC but if I were to take classes this summer I'd have to take them at my uni and I'd get boned for $3-4k so I'd rather not. I can keep working my part time job (go full time for the summer to occupy myself). Since I just switched to EE over from Math I haven't taken any super important classes yet so I doubt I could do research either. Thoughts?

asur posted:

I think you're overestimating the skillset required to do research for a professor as an undergrad. I would definitely talk to your professors about it if you don't have any other plans for the the summer.

This^^ And PUBLISH something. And tell the professor you want to PUBLISH something. Employers and professors both like that you did something novel.

Alternatively teach yourself a new skills. Look at job descriptions for level 2 or 3 jobs (3-10 years experience) you want, look at the skills you dont have, master them over summer. You have to be pretty dedicated and passionate to do this well enough to get something out of it but employers like it.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 13, 2015

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

CarForumPoster posted:

Alternatively teach yourself a new skills. Look at job descriptions for level 2 or 3 jobs (3-10 years experience) you want, look at the skills you dont have, master them over summer. You have to be pretty dedicated and passionate to do this well enough to get something out of it but employers like it.

I've done this while applying for internships last semester (50+ companies, most were rejections but still waiting on an aerospace company to get back to me since I got an email saying my resume was forwarded to the hiring manager to consider for interviewing for a summer R&D internship) and so far I've got a huge list. I would just have to narrow it down. I am considering learning how to make apps because I have a couple apps in mind I'd like to get started on and have a friend that made one 2 years ago and is still selling it for $0.99 :toot:. But I'll probably end up doing as many exercises as I can from those "Cracking the Coding Interview" or "Programming Interviews Exposed" books so I can stay fresh.

Otherwise I will definitely ask to do research with a professor.

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 13, 2015

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

XDvO9h8affYUX8mYDdeh
OQkREaxdF8KBfm0XCYqM
HGcgWWYzBhylQbidblSJ
s6KgesQsYFvsKaeDmhBJ
m8gG2GPuhoMN5dRVIHRE
dcK0HWDY0ENktEtzTFpb
fgW8WnVBbcfnDxCkH5y7
JJoeOyEqFoGeTwRPvOdw
t4q62NL8Gg5DO4amlhBM
wERKPAAxROwtoA0wcqLz

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 27, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, Y is a geometric factor, so it depends on the geometry of the hole. An infinitely large hole, for example, will approximate a straight edge.

Look through here, I think it may have the answer you're looking for: http://www.colorado.edu/MCEN/MCEN4174/index_files/lectures_files/Stress_Intensity_Factors.pdf

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Dangerous Mind posted:

I've done this while applying for internships last semester (50+ companies, most were rejections but still waiting on an aerospace company to get back to me since I got an email saying my resume was forwarded to the hiring manager to consider for interviewing for a summer R&D internship) and so far I've got a huge list. I would just have to narrow it down. I am considering learning how to make apps because I have a couple apps in mind I'd like to get started on and have a friend that made one 2 years ago and is still selling it for $0.99 :toot:. But I'll probably end up doing as many exercises as I can from those "Cracking the Coding Interview" or "Programming Interviews Exposed" books so I can stay fresh.

Otherwise I will definitely ask to do research with a professor.

Make sure you're tailoring your resume and cv to the position you are applying for and all that stuff. It really helps. I'm surprised you've seen so many rejections when it seems like based on what you've posted you're a good candidate

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

How do you do this when something involves the use of expensive processes or equipment?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Shipon posted:

How do you do this when something involves the use of expensive processes or equipment?

You might have access through your university. If not and it's highly advantageous, you should try to get an internship doing it.

Faded Sloth
Nov 22, 2013

baron zen

Party Alarm posted:

Make sure you're tailoring your resume and cv to the position you are applying for and all that stuff. It really helps. I'm surprised you've seen so many rejections when it seems like based on what you've posted you're a good candidate

Honestly its probably because the resume I applied with last semester was no where near as strong as this semester's. By that I mean last semester it had empty space and didn't know how to sell my self but now that I do (I think) the resume looks great, imo. But I guess we'll see if that's the case after the resume expo this Thursday.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I joined the military in 2003. I got an online (but accredited) degree in worthless-ology in 2012. The same year, I got off of active duty military after 9 years and went into the Reserves. I then went to school for a real degree.

I am graduating with my BSEE next year. I'll have 6 months of internships and 4 years of time in the Reserves (1 weekend a month, random phonecalls/reports/etc throughout the month, 2 weeks a year) when I graduate.

If a grad school application asked me how much "post-bachelor's work experience" I have, would it be dishonest to say 4 years since I got a crappy degree 4 years ago? The website for the MBA program I'm poking around at says the typical applicant has 7 years of work experience. I could argue that I have either 13 years, 4 years, 6 months, or 0 months depending on what you use to qualify valid experience.

Thoughts?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

If it was something related to a job, if o was hiring I would think professional full time work experience. Since it is an MBA, you may be able to swing a bit of "life experience" in there.

I would say more importantly, as it is for an MBA program I would apply anyways since its a number that doesn't have a hard relation to expectations of work experience, its just an average.

So because of your unique life experience they may be more than happy to take you even if you are a low end outlier.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Weren't you a nuclear power instructor or something? I would have no qualms about claiming a decade under the most anal documentation regime known to humanity as work experience.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I would claim it, definitely. Especially for a grad school app. Its going to be more of an argument to decide salary but I'd still fight for it then.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Shim Howard posted:

Weren't you a nuclear power instructor or something? I would have no qualms about claiming a decade under the most anal documentation regime known to humanity as work experience.

Yeah, but that was before I had a bachelors degree. After getting my BS in nuclear technology, I worked as a nuclear operations instructor for a few more months then went to college for electrical engineering while working part time as a Navy reservist doing IT-nerd stuff.

The exact wording of the application is:

University of South Carolina posted:

Employment History

Total Months FT Work Experience: [ ]

When you enter business school, how many months of full-time work experience will you have since earning your undergraduate degree?

Since it says "months of full-time since earning" it makes me think I should just count my 6 months of interning which makes me look like a 22 year old college student rather than a 30 year old ex-mil dude.

University of South Carolina posted:

Average Student Profile:

GMAT Score: 590
GRE Score: 306(1138)
Undergraduate GPA: 3.14
Work Experience: 9.2 years

Undergraduate Major

Engineering/Science: 44%
Business/Economics: 30%
Liberal Arts: 16%
Other: 10%

I feel like since my GMAT will be higher than that and my GPA will be about a 3.50, I should be ok for that part.. but the work experience really concerns me.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Faded Sloth posted:

Honestly its probably because the resume I applied with last semester was no where near as strong as this semester's. By that I mean last semester it had empty space and didn't know how to sell my self but now that I do (I think) the resume looks great, imo. But I guess we'll see if that's the case after the resume expo this Thursday.

Sorry, just realized I am logged into two different accounts - DM on my desktop and FS ^^ on my phone.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shipon posted:

asur posted:

You might have access through your university. If not and it's highly advantageous, you should try to get an internship doing it.

This is one very good suggestion.

If its a book/software obviously there's :filez:, yes it is not the most moral route but youre going to be using the legal version in industry either the software or requesting to buy a copy of the book.

In the case of something like manufacturing or electronics you could build your own crappy version of the machine to demonstrate that you know how it works, like a DIY or retrofitted CNC mill or lathe. I wouldnt really think anything of dropping $1000 to build something of value that makes me a clear winner. And so you know I put my money where my mouth is, when I got a job at a very large tech company in silicon in machining, I had a bridgeport mill, 3 phase power generator, 13x40 lathe and 200A AC/DC Tig Welder in my Mom's garage back home. Total cost because I scored some killed deals on craigslist/ebay (from China) about $3500.

I made very few things in that machine shop, just a few things for friends or myself. Never made a single dime from selling parts I made. Stating that I COULD though and that I was a true hands on nuts and bolts engineer instantly made me stand out massively among a sea of other graduating Mech Es and really started my career off well.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Today I was told about the ".engineer" domain and decided to get one using my first name. I'll probably try using it to display my resume and projects.

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!
This question probably gets asked alot, but are there any resources on studying for the FE exam and getting my EIT credential in California? Like an online or in person class to brush up on the relevant topics (statics, thermo, ect)? I've been out of school awhile and need a refresher course.

What about passing the test to get your PE? Anything out there to help with that?

edit - This would be for Mechanical Engineering, btw

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

seniorservice posted:

This question probably gets asked alot, but are there any resources on studying for the FE exam and getting my EIT credential in California? Like an online or in person class to brush up on the relevant topics (statics, thermo, ect)? I've been out of school awhile and need a refresher course.
This book is generally the recommended study guide. If you actually work through the lessons and complete the review beginning to end, I think drat near anyone could pass the FE. They should probably put a new edition out to reflect the new electronic test, but it should still be fine for review.

seniorservice posted:

What about passing the test to get your PE? Anything out there to help with that?
Usually you're going to take a class for that, and hopefully your employer will pay for it. That's how it's worked for all of the folks I know right now who are getting their PEs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
PPI2Pass's FE practice exams are pretty good, as well, if you want to get used to the actual exam format.

For the PE, it's possible to study independently for it, but you probably want to take a class of some sort since the breadth of information you're expected to be familiar with is so wide.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think even with being out of it for a while the biggest commitment you should do is the ppi book. Unless you aren't a good test taker the FE honestly isn't that hard and you just need to re familiarize yourself with those topics you've already done. If you are still by your university they will usually sponsor review classes too, I'd take a few evenings of that over any of it.

Speaking as a current PE.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

oxsnard posted:

I work in EHS (I'm an environmental engineer) and we quite literally could use someone who knows a lot about vessel inspections in the coming months. I'll send you a PM.

For content I started out as a molecular biology major and found my way to engineering. Best decision I ever made

If you still need this I know quite a few Marine Engineers/Mates but it would depend on where and how much. Most academy grads are looking at 90k minimum out of school and you would be looking for at least a 1st Engineer/Chief Mate and they are making around 180k+ sailing.

As far as oil is concerned, I would expect prices to recover to around 90 in 5 years at the most. Even 70 is a decent price point for most operations and we should hit that sooner than later. There's not a huge oversupply so shocks will push up the price pretty quickly. The industry pushed hard with debt for equipment and personnel and needs some consolidation so things are grim right now but I don't expect it to last.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 28, 2015

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I got denied and interim clearance and now might get my offer rescinded despite me forking out about $10,000 to move across the country for a new job. No question, just venting and giving a heads up to anyone considering a job that requires one. Best case scenario I have to wait an additional 3 months for my secret clearance to come through and they dont rescind their offer in the mean time and they might MAYBE find unclassified work for me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'm familiar with that site, though I wish there was an aggregator you could search for related scenarios. I can see why they'd want to investigate me, though I am not worried that they wont give me a clearance. I am working for a defense contractor and have a Chinese work visa from working in manufacturing in the tech industry and when I was 19 I would import auto parts from China to sell online. I'm assuming they just want to make sure I dont still talk to my suppliers in China which I have not for multiple years.

I've never smoked pot, my only debt is my car payment and that is current and above water so I should be golden as far as getting the clearance...just not the interim.

Hopefully my skill set is rare enough that its pretty difficult to replace me in just a few months.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So that engineering firm I was interviewing with just bought my tickets to fly down there on Wednesday. I've been looking at salaries to get a feel for what I should get for compensation -

Average entry level mechanical engineering salaries range from 63-68k from Indeed, Payscale, Salary.com, ect.

Does this sound reasonable?

It's a small business of ~24 employees, mostly mechanical and electrical engineers. They do product design and development. Mechanical engineering opening, min 2 years experience in automotive, BS required MS preferred - slightly above entry level requirements I guess, but not by much.

e: I'll be graduating in May, got in because I managed to squeeze in a lot of design work in an automotive related internship that lasted for a while.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This seems low for LA. I know you said you did a cost of living comparison but with the state sales and income taxes being what they are there it seems like theres lots of places you can go that are sunny and have e ahigher effective pay even if the number is very slightly lower. Florida comes to mind.

If possible get extra days to check out LA. I enjoyed visiting there but mother of god I would never live there.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Seconding that notion, $65k is not enough for an engineer in LA. I personally would not settle for less than $75k, and that's if I absolutely loved the place. Housing/rental market down there is nuts.