Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Molybdenum posted:

You're in the UK right? Does WotC change the spelling of words like valor -> valour ?

We get exactly the same product as other English speaking regions, I have to alter the 'u' in colour myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Yeah there is NO difference between Standard and Draft/Sealed. Same thing.

Ah that totally makes sense. I don't pay attention to pro stuff so I forgot it was sealed. My bad.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Brad Nelson missed his Sultai Flayer trigger(s). :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What's the event schedule for the weekend like? How long will limited be going for?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Geez guys, if you're going to constantly knock someone, try not to embarrass yourself in the process.

Either way, with how mentor has been for me in standard, it's above par the typical creature, but I've been finding the other Jeskai mythic is more powerful. Lifelink on all the time, burning things in the way gets me more life, late game endless counterspells to win all top deck wars, etc. It really helps you shift into a control deck.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Is Tom Martell from the US? Why did I think he was Canadian?

EDIT: Confused him with Shaun McLaren

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm assuming it's going Limited->Standard->Modern over the weekend?

First Bass posted:

Oh hey, another dumb wrong opinion from McMagic. I wonder, do we pick on him for thinking cantrips are essential to Monastery Mentor functioning as effectively as Rabblemaster, or for forgetting Crippling Chill, Defiant Strike, Refocus, Pressure Point, and a half dozen Theros block enchantments that draw cards as well as trigger Prowess?

Can you form suitable responses without looking like a huge shithead? I don't agree with everything mcmagic says, but you can make a compelling counterpoint re: Mentor without turning it into a pompous fart of hot air, Jesus.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bhsman posted:

Three rounds limited, five rounds modern, IIRC. Top eight on Sunday.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Exactly one person used Crippling Chill. In the sideboard. 7th place in a state championship. 1 =/= 0. Eat it nerd. :shepface:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kyrosiris posted:

Three rounds limited, five rounds modern, IIRC. Top eight on Sunday.

Cool; watching Pardee now, I'm curious to see what he brings for Modern considering he was known for so long as being the expert on Pod.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

bhsman posted:

No Standard this PT. Three rounds of FKK draft, five rounds of Modern both today and tomorrow. Modern top 8 on Sunday.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lunsku posted:

No Standard this PT. Three rounds of FKK draft, five rounds of Modern both today and tomorrow. Modern top 8 on Sunday.

3 rounds as in 3 separate drafts, or just 3 matches?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rinkles posted:

3 rounds as in 3 separate drafts, or just 3 matches?

One draft, three rounds of swiss using those drafts. New draft tomorrow for rounds 9-11.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LSV's 3-0 Draft deck. Really Really good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Not judging in any way, but I seriously don't understand how you guys can watch other people play magic online and enjoy yourselves.

I couldn't find any enjoyment watching other people I don't know or care anything about play a card game.

But at least you guys have fun.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005

mcmagic posted:

What's with the stamps on those cards?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not judging in any way, but I seriously don't understand how you guys can watch other people play magic online and enjoy yourselves.

I couldn't find any enjoyment watching other people I don't know or care anything about play a card game.

A lot of people do know and care about some of the pros, as they've been involved in Magic and producing content for a decade or more.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Erdos posted:

What's with the stamps on those cards?

It's a pro tour. They open the packs before the draft starts and stamp all the cards, so no one can sneak extra cards into their pool or something.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Why don't the Magic streams display a round timer like SCG does? I understand the featured players have a little extra time due to setup, but it would still be nice to know approximately how much longer a round is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Interesting that the only red card in it is Ascendancy. I'm guessing his first pick was Valorous Stance?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why did you single out modo?

E: or did you mean online as in "through the internet", whether irl or modo?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Craig Wescoe looks like a serial killer

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Interesting that the only red card in it is Ascendancy. I'm guessing his first pick was Valorous Stance?

That and Icy Blast look like 2 of his first picks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Applebees posted:

A lot of people do know and care about some of the pros, as they've been involved in Magic and producing content for a decade or more.

Yeah, it's basically this. I don't give a poo poo about watching some completely random streamer, but I enjoy LSV and Caleb videos.

Also, it adds a lot of value if the streamer/recorder is playing a format that I can't personally afford to play, like Legacy, Vintage or Cube. I get to live vicariously through them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That and Icy Blast look like 2 of his first picks.

Doesn't the draft go FRF-KTK-KTK?

I've only drafted with friends so I haven't kept too up to date on how it works but that was what I thought the order was.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's, at least for me, much the same way people enjoy watching Poker or (gasp) sports. Since you see the hands you oftentimes are able to spot the best play, whats great is watching the pros figure out what the opponent has in hand, and how to play around it with limited information. The tension this generates, and eventual pay off is what is the basis of a lot of the enjoyment of watching the game.

Secondly, watching the stories unfold behind the players is a good bit of the fun. Watching a player you like or feel connected to, either via knowing them, their articles or live streams, compete can feel great, especially because there is the tension of how well will they do, will they make it to top 8, will they make platinum, etc.

Also, the colors and deck archetypes allow for a weird sort of tribalism to take hold, much in the same way it does in sporting events. Players want their pet archetype to do well. I am always happy when a blue control deck does well, but, as evidenced by reactions in this thread, others feel very differently. Spectators will rally behind their pet archetype and expound upon its virtue, only to have their devotion tested at the end of the tournament, and have the argument finally resolved in the top 8.

If you enjoy watching sports at all, you should understand why people enjoy watching magic,a lot of the same psychological factors and pressures are in play. In one sport you see which fat man in capris will run with a pig bladder better. In magic you see which nerdy guy in a hoodie turns cardboard sideways better. In the end, the visuals are equally boring, its the meaning the surrounding culture attaches to them that gives them value.

edit-Not that I blame you for not enjoying watching Magic streams, I myself get bored if Junk or Jund does well, and will turn it off if I have to watch a lot of those decks.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 6, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've only drafted with friends so I haven't kept too up to date on how it works but that was what I thought the order was.

Yes. And I'm sure Stance was his P1P1.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Based on the lack of fixing I'm guessing his P1P1 was Valorous Stance or Sandsteppe Outcast, P2P1 was Icy Blast and P3P1 was Jeskai Ascendancy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Although it's quite possible he got passed the Ascendancy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

Based on the lack of fixing I'm guessing his P1P1 was Valorous Stance or Sandsteppe Outcast, P2P1 was Icy Blast and P3P1 was Jeskai Ascendancy.

I would be really surprised if Ascendancy was a first pick out of a pack. It wheels all the time in draft.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How many mountains do you need to run to splash a one of tri-color enchantment with one fixing land? Around 3-4?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I just like seeing the sweet plays that happen every so often. LSV's 2 wins last week come to mind as the most recent, as well as Cheon's entire game 2. LSV is dead on board (or very close to it,) down a game against Dave Williams, untaps into double Temur Battle Rage, giving him 2 Prowess triggers for both of his creatures, giving both of his creatures flying with that blue guy that gives your guys flying when you cast non-creature spells and 20s Dave, who is at 16. It was the kind of thing that's really cool to see in constructed, never mind draft.

And sometimes you see some idiot playing Sneak and Show lose to Jund after hitting him with Emrakul and dropping a Blood Moon. And then you see Cedric do a cartwheel.

Plus, what else am I going to do during a slow day at work?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Splashing a single off-color card only needs 2 or 3 total sources.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Errant Gin Monks posted:

LSV is a big draw, as others have mentioned, though I'll add that my entire FLGS is watching (and will in fact be streaming it all weekend) because Tom Ross goes to the same place.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Its been said a million times, and I will say it again. MaRo is such a giant goober.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Its been said a million times, and I will say it again. MaRo is such a giant goober.

Yeah, but he's such a positive goober. I can't help but grin when he talks because he's so goddamned excited.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I really enjoyed seeing Wizard's peek into the design of Fate Reforged; the enthusiasm showed by the team (and not just MaRo) is more than a little infectious. The earnest nerdy charm really showed how sincerely we all take this silly world of printed cardboard.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Perhaps you can go participate in a thread concerning something you enjoy? There's more than a few posts in this thread where you're being a stick in the mud.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I don't watch wizard poker streams unless someone mentions a really cool play I should check out after the fact. I am also really bad at Magic: the Gathering. COINCIDENCE? :iiam:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Wait, Siege Rhino was originally uncounterable too? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I know Hagon's shtick is too be somewhat ignorant about Magic and thus ask seemingly dumb questions to provoke insightful response from people who are knowledgeable and all, but him describing Lingering Souls as just a 1/1 was painful.

• Locked thread