Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jedit posted:

In part. My last Haesteinn game I managed to take Brittany and hold it, but your best bet is to use the coastal CB to capture all of Ireland, which in 867 is almost entirely single province rulers and only has one non-coastal county.

Not just coastal, also applies to a bordering cross-religion province. Then you invade one of the English kingdoms and subjugate whichever one of the piglets did the best, and then you're most of the way to Britannia.

...or take Sardinia, pledge allegiance to the Khazars, culture switch, and tribal invasion to victory (may have been nerfed since I tried that last).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

I still don't understand how people do amazing things with Haestein. Is it exploiting prepared invasions and the Norse coastal CB?

Haestein is a rolling start, he's easy to build momentum with. Brittany has a decent number of holdings, so any prepared invasion is gonna be gently caress-off huge. The duchy also shatters into independent counts, so consolidation is fast. From there you can do pretty much anything, I like pirate lord of the Mediterranean but whatever floats your boat is totally possible.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

I still don't understand how people do amazing things with Haestein. Is it exploiting prepared invasions and the Norse coastal CB?

He starts with event troops, boats, 24+ martial depending on random traits and a single county. Include the Norse cbs and ability to change religion with concubines and you have a blank slate for all sorts of poo poo that may not otherwise be feasible.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

I know for a fact you can with the 769 start, as that is what I did in my last run. Such a pretty white.

Sounds fun. I've been debating on making a republic of flanders and then forming the HRE out of Francia that way.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ulmont posted:

Not just coastal, also applies to a bordering cross-religion province. Then you invade one of the English kingdoms and subjugate whichever one of the piglets did the best, and then you're most of the way to Britannia.

...or take Sardinia, pledge allegiance to the Khazars, culture switch, and tribal invasion to victory (may have been nerfed since I tried that last).

Pretty sure Nahua and Mongols are the only cultures who get invasion CB's.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Volkerball posted:

Khazar is Altaic and gets Tribal Invasion as long as you're some kind of pagan. The Mongol and Nahua version works as long as you're not some kind of Christian.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Volkerball posted:

They aren't.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I finally got CM and had a go at a game as a ruler-designer'd count in Lombardy, now just formed a custom kingdom. It's going pretty well, but...

How do I break up the Karling blob once it's formed? Charlemagne decided the HRE was for chumps and created Francia instead, so it's not like the Karling blob is an elective thunderdrome or anything, it's just a big gavelkind monster that I'm afraid to confront.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They aren't.

Turks get them too, right? Or is that just Seljuk?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Turks get them too, right? Or is that just Seljuk?

Altaic pagans get them and Muslims have a special invasion cb that has different conditions.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Funky Valentine posted:

Like others have mentioned, Haesteinn is a pretty huge blank slate. With your event troops, you can declare simultaneous conquests on everyone else in Brittany Bertangaland and win, and you have 40 free boats so you can start looting the Mediterranean (Or Navarra, if travel time is an issue) once you're done with those and waiting for the truce with Breizh to expire. No one has seemed really anxious to gently caress with me as Haesteinn, either. The typical culture or religious revolts, but Louis the Stammerer seems content to just mind his own garden as long as you don't poke him. And once you get the Duke of Breizh down to a single county that's not even in de jure Brittany, he becomes toothless.

The only issue, which I've mentioned before, is that the kingdom of Brittany consists entirely of the single duchy of Brittany, so you need to look elsewhere to get the kingdom title. Cornwall is a nice option, as is Ireland or Sardinia. And you need to be careful with a holy war or prepared invasion CB, because the entirety of Christendom will be on your tits.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is it possible to do a prepared invasion of Frisia? Still looking for ways to get that Dutch Merchant Republic up and running, and Dutch Viking Merchant Republic (raiding AND trading) sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How much of a pain is it to change castes as an Indian ruler? I'm Buddhist Hasteinn in England and the single county holy war is painful.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is it possible to do a prepared invasion of Frisia? Still looking for ways to get that Dutch Merchant Republic up and running, and Dutch Viking Merchant Republic (raiding AND trading) sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

As long as you fulfil the holding requirements, yes. I dunno why it wouldn't be. I invaded it as Erik the Heathen and it was the perfect place from which to permanently cripple Christianity.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How much of a pain is it to change castes as an Indian ruler? I'm Buddhist Hasteinn in England and the single county holy war is painful.

As long as you fulfil the holding requirements, yes. I dunno why it wouldn't be. I invaded it as Erik the Heathen and it was the perfect place from which to permanently cripple Christianity.

Go Hindu, get 200 karma and six years of your income and you're good to go. If you have 12 learning it's just three years, IIRC.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Dumb question: how do I launch a prepared invasion? Not seeing it under 'declare war'.

edit: nevermind, I'm dumb. Found it.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 6, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Go Hindu, get 200 karma and six years of your income and you're good to go. If you have 12 learning it's just three years, IIRC.

It doesn't work since I don't have any hindu provinces. Whoops.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wow regents are massive dicks now. My own mother who has no relations in power aside from me, lowers my crown authority and won't approve any matrilineal marriages for my sister, who is my heir. Why?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Well poo poo, that didn't work. Haestein is feudal. gently caress it, I'm just going to console it to get it set up. How do I console back to tribal?

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wow regents are massive dicks now. My own mother who has no relations in power aside from me, lowers my crown authority and won't approve any matrilineal marriages for my sister, who is my heir. Why?
The crown authority thing is because the event for that is really lame and barely checks for anything before loving you over firing.
As for the marriages, I think if your parents end up calling the shots on that they only let you marry people of their culture? I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyways.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure the crown authority bullshit in regencies is there specifically to nerf Ultimogeniture. Which if so is an understandable design decision; successions are supposed to be painful, that's a lot of the point of the game. I just wish there was a less transparently bullshit way to get there, in this particular case.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
One way to deal with it is to stop having children after 2 or 3 sons. Imprision your wife if shes too young.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Do folks have some sorta phobia 'gainst the wiki? http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Tribal_Invasion#Tribal_Invasion

Anyway, Empires as a Feudal Norse aren't too hard, especially by the time you qualify for the requirements. One great thing about Hæsteinn too is that he can go Breton and grab Tanistry, which is a loving hilarious inheritance law that I wish were easier to get.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

One way to deal with it is to stop having children after 2 or 3 sons. Imprision your wife if shes too young.

You can try that, sure. Before long you'll discover that it's a fantastic way to find yourself with one living son and an Ambitious Envious brother sitting second in line.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, something must have gone ugly while I was busy loving with the Byzantines : apparently my dynasty members were busy loving with each other.

I died at the ripe age of 73, and my chosen heir (elective monarchy), by far the best man in the family with Genius, 23 diplo and 12+ everything else, had chosen the seduction focus while I was looking the other way and had something like 5 trueborn kids and 8 bastards, 6 lovers aged 20 to 50, and one wife that understandably hated his guts.

Not only that: I had given most duchies to brothers / cousins, and they all married their children to each other's children, and it's a big clusterfuck of inbreeding and bastards everywhere since apparently the AI just loves the Seduction focus, everybody wants to bang everything that moves, ESPECIALLY their family :gonk:

Then this guy also kicked the bucket, switched to his decent 30-something old son that I had already properly groomed, but now I don't have any decent heirs besides an uncle with awesome stats but lunatic and pretty old. My current son is not of age and everybody prefers the cousin-loving lunatic guy to a genius 8 year old kid.

This is fun, but I think I might be getting screwed soon. Literally. By my lunatic uncle.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Brutus Salad posted:

As for the marriages, I think if your parents end up calling the shots on that they only let you marry people of their culture? I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyways.

Giving my mother some gold always clears that up for me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TorakFade posted:

So, something must have gone ugly while I was busy loving with the Byzantines : apparently my dynasty members were busy loving with each other.

I died at the ripe age of 73, and my chosen heir (elective monarchy), by far the best man in the family with Genius, 23 diplo and 12+ everything else, had chosen the seduction focus while I was looking the other way and had something like 5 trueborn kids and 8 bastards, 6 lovers aged 20 to 50, and one wife that understandably hated his guts.

Not only that: I had given most duchies to brothers / cousins, and they all married their children to each other's children, and it's a big clusterfuck of inbreeding and bastards everywhere since apparently the AI just loves the Seduction focus, everybody wants to bang everything that moves, ESPECIALLY their family :gonk:

Then this guy also kicked the bucket, switched to his decent 30-something old son that I had already properly groomed, but now I don't have any decent heirs besides an uncle with awesome stats but lunatic and pretty old. My current son is not of age and everybody prefers the cousin-loving lunatic guy to a genius 8 year old kid.

This is fun, but I think I might be getting screwed soon. Literally. By my lunatic uncle.

Now you are the Karlings. He who hunts monsters...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can try that, sure. Before long you'll discover that it's a fantastic way to find yourself with one living son and an Ambitious Envious brother sitting second in line.

It sucks, but its way better than having a newborn as heir and then having to endure a 16 years regency with the regent loving everything you did. Also, getting married to an older woman and/or a lesbian.

But getting to high crown authority and switching to primo ASAP is the best solution of course. Unfortunately, that usually takes a generation or two.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A friend of mine and I are thinking of doing a multuplayer game, if we can get it working, but neither of us has ever played CK2 in multiplayer before so we're not sure what the good starts are.

We thought up several possible scenarios:
-One of us starting as a Welsh duke or count and the other a Irish one and both of us trying to form a kingdom.
-Starting as separate Mongol Hordes and racing each other to the Atlantic.
-Starting as vassals in a large realm.
-Playing Byzantines and trying to recreate the Roman Empire.
-Playing seperate republics and fighting for control of Mediteranian trade.
-KaliMa-ing motherfuckers all across the Indian subcontinent.

Any suggestions for good multiplayers starts?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
A fun multiplayer games is always to choose a large realm and ruler design large vassals to a Hersey or other religion and rot the realm from within..

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Rival patrician families.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FreudianSlippers posted:

A friend of mine and I are thinking of doing a multuplayer game, if we can get it working, but neither of us has ever played CK2 in multiplayer before so we're not sure what the good starts are.

We thought up several possible scenarios:
-One of us starting as a Welsh duke or count and the other a Irish one and both of us trying to form a kingdom.
-Starting as separate Mongol Hordes and racing each other to the Atlantic.
-Starting as vassals in a large realm.
-Playing Byzantines and trying to recreate the Roman Empire.
-Playing seperate republics and fighting for control of Mediteranian trade.
-KaliMa-ing motherfuckers all across the Indian subcontinent.

Any suggestions for good multiplayers starts?

Ive never played MP either, buit something I always wanted to try is to have all human players start as vassal dukes of a big empire (Bizantines, HRE or the Arabian Empire, for ex.) and the challenge would be to fight your way up to the empire title and try to keep it from the other players.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Oh! As a test the other day, just to see if it worked, I consoled a bunch of positive traits onto a temple vassal and then made him an antipope...

And got exactly no money from this?
I was just doing it as a test anyways, but could someone please explain what happened? He showed up as one, moral authority went down et al, but he wasn't paying me anything.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Golden Horde vs Ilkhanate sounds baller but I'm not sure if it's possible. Would be really close to game end too.

Maybe East vs West Francia?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Denmark vs Shipjod

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Well poo poo, that didn't work. Haestein is feudal. gently caress it, I'm just going to console it to get it set up. How do I console back to tribal?

I'm not sure you can. The easiest way with the console would be to find a random mayor in the county that you want to be your republics county. Give him culture norse and religion germanic. Then grant that mayor the county and duchy titles, and he'll form a republic. Then you can give him other counties in the duchy or independence or whatever you want to do.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm having trouble with the subscribe install for CK2+. When i try to play it, a black window pops up and immediately closes with no message or error report.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

:dawkins101:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

"Yeah, I totally hate the Pope now. Man, what a douche. Now pay me please."

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013
Quick question - When do you guys transform tribal into feudal? Every time I do it I am severely hinder militarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThirstyTurtle posted:

Quick question - When do you guys transform tribal into feudal? Every time I do it I am severely hinder militarily.

So why do it?

• Locked thread