Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In the photo of all the Lego Doctors together, for some reason the Tom Baker one appears to be a Play-Doh replica of Lego Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

And how the Sixth doctor's level just sort of ends.

Eight's mostly takes place in pitch blackness, you have to do the whole thing by sound.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MikeJF posted:

Eight's mostly takes place in pitch blackness, you have to do the whole thing by sound.

Yeah, and some players will complain these levels shouldn't count for achievements.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I just had a vision of Cena going "It's the end...but the moment has been prepared for" and then the Watcher is revealed to be Roman Reigns. :v:

And Rory turns out to be Daniel Bryan in disguise. :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TinTower posted:

And Rory turns out to be Daniel Bryan Roman Reigns in disguise. :smith:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I just watched The Lodger again in anticipation of Toxx watching it. I love that episode so drat much, if he hates it I may never trust his opinion again.

Though I rated it a B just in case. I would rate it an A, but I never can tell what he'll do. Had to hedge my bet a little.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

:hfive:
The Lodger is great. I don't remember what I ranked it, but if I guessed less than an A I'm gonna be pretty annoyed with myself. I just re-watched it like a week ago, definitely one of my top stand-alone Smith episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This looks exactly like the wig they used for the Colin stand-in at the end of the 50th.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
In a twist of fate, the stepdaughter is watching Vincent and the Doctor right now.

"I love this episode!"

"Oh? We've been talking about this episode...why do you like it so much?"

"Because Van Gogh is an awesome painter!"

"And?"

"...and he's an awesome painter. Duh."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

She's allllllll riiiiiiiiiight.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Watching the very end now...to know beyond a doubt that you will leave a legacy that will affect millions...the only word I can come up with is just how blessed, for a moment, Van Gogh was.

Edit - and she wants me to get her a children's book of Van Gogh paintings for her birthday. :unsmith:

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 6, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Watching the very end now...to know beyond a doubt that you will leave a legacy that will affect millions...the only word I can come up with is just how blessed, for a moment, Van Gogh was.

Edit - and she wants me to get her a children's book of Van Gogh paintings for her birthday. :unsmith:

They make a pretty good Starry Night blanket.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Though take it from me - don't buy your kids anything with rhinestones. Ever. Never ever.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

She actually has the exploding TARDIS/Starry Night backpack...

And yeah, no rhinestones, no glitter, and nothing that makes any loving noise. Those are what my parents buy her.

It's neat to watch the show with a nine-year old. She sees things so differently than I do and that helps me appreciate the show a little more. Where a piece of garbage like Warriors of the Deep gets me upset and causes me to groan knowing all the behind-the-scenes mayhem, she just looks at it and says "the Murka looks stupid. This is silly.'

She also may or may not have said Turlough is kind of cute. She's NINE. :ohdear:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CobiWann posted:

no rhinestones, no glitter

I work in a fabric store... I cannot begin to describe my hatred for rhinestones, sequins, and glitter. I have glitter on my hands as I type this, even, having just gotten home from a shift.

Edit: Oh god, there's a piece of glitter on the side of my nose that I keep seeing glint in my periphery. This is my life now.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 6, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I work in a textile lab so I'm coming from a different direction. Nine times out of ten the rhinestones we test are crazy toxic. We're talking up to 200 times the permissible amount of lead content in every stone regardless of the product they're used in.

Of course the manufacturers are supposed to scrap the product and start over when they set off the lead alarms, but this is corporate America so they're just as likely to go "whoopsie" and ship it anyway.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oxxidation posted:

I work in a textile lab so I'm coming from a different direction. Nine times out of ten the rhinestones we test are crazy toxic. We're talking up to 200 times the permissible amount of lead content in every stone regardless of the product they're used in.

Of course the manufacturers are supposed to scrap the product and start over when they set off the lead alarms, but this is corporate America so they're just as likely to go "whoopsie" and ship it anyway.

Wow. Good to know! Thanks, Oxx.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, dear God, the one my wife had doesn't have any rhinestones in it. I wouldn't have let the things anywhere near me before, but definitely even less so now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

She actually has the exploding TARDIS/Starry Night backpack...

And yeah, no rhinestones, no glitter, and nothing that makes any loving noise. Those are what my parents buy her.

It's neat to watch the show with a nine-year old. She sees things so differently than I do and that helps me appreciate the show a little more. Where a piece of garbage like Warriors of the Deep gets me upset and causes me to groan knowing all the behind-the-scenes mayhem, she just looks at it and says "the Murka looks stupid. This is silly.'

She also may or may not have said Turlough is kind of cute. She's NINE. :ohdear:

Last winter I had to stay with my sister and her family after my furnace went out, and at one point I was watching Start Trek: TOS on Netflix. Her son, who's five, and had been watching TNG with his father, asked me what I was watching.

"This is Star Trek, the original series. It takes place before The Next Generation."
"Old Star Trek looks dumb."

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Last winter I had to stay with my sister and her family after my furnace went out, and at one point I was watching Start Trek: TOS on Netflix. Her son, who's five, and had been watching TNG with his father, asked me what I was watching.

"This is Star Trek, the original series. It takes place before The Next Generation."
"Old Star Trek looks dumb."

He's not wrong

I mean, don't get me wrong, the original series is leagues better than some of the later trek series. It still looks really dumb. So does old Who for that matter.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
TNG is old Star Trek :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He's not wrong

I mean, don't get me wrong, the original series is leagues better than some of the later trek series. It still looks really dumb. So does old Who for that matter.

I love how, since color TV was a pretty recent thing, the colors on that show are just out of control. "Make that wall orange! The floor in here needs to be red! In this room, everything should be purple!!!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

He's not wrong

From the commentary for Revenge of the Cybermen...

Peri - "All these corridors look the same!"

Colin Baker - "All these sets look the same! All these scripts look the same!"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I love how, since color TV was a pretty recent thing, the colors on that show are just out of control. "Make that wall orange! The floor in here needs to be red! In this room, everything should be purple!!!"

Yeah, and it looked great!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

TNG is old Star Trek :v:

If anything, it looks a little more dated, because the bright colors make TOS look a bit stylized, while something about the purple backdrop cum fog machine of early TNG makes it look quite embarrassing, even for the 80s.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

If anything, it looks a little more dated, because the bright colors make TOS look a bit stylized, while something about the purple backdrop cum fog machine of early TNG makes it look quite embarrassing, even for the 80s.

Troi's outfits SCREAM late-80's/early-90s

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I watched all of Star Trek last year and to be honest, I felt considerably less embarrassed by even the goofy episodes of TOS than the majority of TNG. It has some really good episodes in the middle and end but even then, the good stuff is sandwiched between like two mind-rape episodes a season.

I'd still rather watch The Twilight Zone, but it angers me too much that season 4 is never available on any streaming media and never will be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

I watched all of Star Trek last year and to be honest, I felt considerably less embarrassed by even the goofy episodes of TOS than the majority of TNG. It has some really good episodes in the middle and end but even then, the good stuff is sandwiched between like two mind-rape episodes a season.

I'd still rather watch The Twilight Zone, but it angers me too much that season 4 is never available on any streaming media and never will be.

Assuming you watched them in order, I feel sorry for you once you got past DS9 and into Voyager and Enterprise. Though I will admit Enterprise had that surprisingly good Mirror-Mirror two-parter in the last season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Enterprise has a lot about it that's really annoying, but it's so much better than Voyager that it almost doesn't bear comparing. The Twin Dilemma is better than most of Voyager. In fact, Pip and Jane Baker could just stomp on your feet, poke you in the eyes and knee you in the groin, and it would still probably be better than Voyager, whose production should probably be considered some sort of crime.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

Enterprise has a lot about it that's really annoying, but it's so much better than Voyager that it almost doesn't bear comparing. The Twin Dilemma is better than most of Voyager. In fact, Pip and Jane Baker could just stomp on your feet, poke you in the eyes and knee you in the groin, and it would still probably be better than Voyager, whose production should probably be considered some sort of crime.

Go and watch Time and the Rani, from beginning to end, and post this again. I dare you.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You microcephalic apostate!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
You modern day Doctor Who fans have it so easy! Back in my day, we all had to kneel before the might of Sutekh!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

You modern day Doctor Who fans have it so easy! Back in my day, we all had to kneel before the might of Sutekh!

It was spurious catharsis as far as the eye could see when I were a lad.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Looking at the dynamic rankings page has made me wonder. Which episodes, both nWho and oWho, would you give 10/10 to?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Little_wh0re posted:

Looking at the dynamic rankings page has made me wonder. Which episodes, both nWho and oWho, would you give 10/10 to?

Tomb of the Cybermen
Spearhead from Space
Pyramids of Mars
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Caves of Androzani
Vengence on Varos
The Chimes of Midnight
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
Blink
The Eleventh Hour
Flatline

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

I think all of them. and all the audios.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wait, I'm confused. Vengeance on Varos is actually good? Or is it just a joke recommendation that everyone but me gets?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dabir posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Vengeance on Varos is actually good? Or is it just a joke recommendation that everyone but me gets?

Yes it is. Its one of the best 6 serials.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Right, it's just that from that bit in the Five Doctors Reboot where Colin Baker forces his family to watch it, I was kind of taking away that it wasn't very good. I'll have to watch it then, all I know about it is it's the one where Six murders two people by dropping them in a pool of acid then drops a cool one-liner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dabir posted:

Fairly creative for the time, though not really as innovative as some people like to present it as. I don't think it's brilliant but it's one of the few times that the attempts at social consciousness that Doctor Who made clumsy grabs at during the eighties actually worked.

Also, it's the only Colin Baker story that I'd actually call good.

• Locked thread