Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I have a plugin thing that runs the Erlang compiler when I save a file.
then syntax highlighting, using a specific theme, tab/spaces, making trailing spaces, tabs, and nbsps show up as visible characters.
then setting so search is case insensitive by default, new tabs = new buffers, and finally, the necessary undo tree visualisation.

i usually keep another window or tmux/screen buffer open to compile or run a script, but i am a plang "professional"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
How the gently caress do you guys using vim without plugins navigate your file structure without ctrl p, unite, or need tree

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

How the gently caress do you guys using vim without plugins navigate your file structure without ctrl p, unite, or need tree

We quit and type "cd" and then "vi <new filename>" like a god damned adult

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Space Whale posted:

I challenge someone to race me in using EF to do something vs writing as proc and using ado.net because god damnit.

whatever time seems to be saved using entity shame works will just be spent rewriting your data access code when it becomes obvious that your aggregate root repository pattern only works well for toy examples

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
If you're going to spend 90% of your time in the terminal why not just echo and awk stuff into your files where you can leverage the real command line because that's clearly what you want to be doing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

If you're going to spend 90% of your time in the terminal why not just echo and awk stuff into your files where you can leverage the real command line because that's clearly what you want to be doing

once you get a real job you will be able to focus on a code file for more than 20 minutes rather than being screamed at to put out 9000 fires a second

It Gets Better, i promise!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

vim . opens the current directory in the buffer and handles that poo poo by default I think.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

idk i use raw vi on linux and gvim on wandows with nice colours/bar and latex toolkit
and i use it like for maybe two weeks, but its pretty cool
i dont even google "how to do x in vim" often!

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

find, grep, cd, and :sp <file> or :vsp <file> if i really need more than one thing open at the same time

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*
protip: there is a :help subject in vim.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

master of the sea posted:

more like master of the lovely text editor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jk i use vim, it owns, vim crew ^5

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

master of the sea posted:

this is the equivalent of telling people to use man pages

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

vim . opens the current directory in the buffer and handles that poo poo by default I think.

yeah but what if you have many folders in your project

i don't understand how someone autistic enough to use vim for 'functionality and efficiency' can find anything other than pressing ctrl+p and fuzzy searching for the file name throughout your entire project to be acceptable, unless they know of a better/faster way.

and using find or grep in your cwd is not a better or faster way

poo poo makes no sense.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
vim is absolutely wonderful for editing a file. but unless i'm not understanding so sort of workflow or something it is absolutely awful for editing projects, without extensive modification. until someone demonstrates the true path, i am going to maintain that anyone using vim without at least a few productivity plugins is completely insane

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
oh no plugin purists
nevermind
:justpost:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the new guy at work uses dvorak and vim and even he uses ctrl p

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the new guy at work uses dvorak and vim and even he uses ctrl p
did he makes his beard into pines or whatever you call hair wowen like girls do?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jonny 290 posted:

once you get a real job you will be able to focus on a code file for more than 20 minutes rather than being screamed at to put out 9000 fires a second

It Gets Better, i promise!

well designed software is actually going to be spread out over a variety of files though???

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

EVGA Longoria posted:

well designed software is actually going to be spread out over a variety of files though???

lol if you think any software is well designed

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Soricidus posted:

i have gazed upon the sublime i have seen os x

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

certainly not by people who cant do side by side comparisons of code and have to enter a command into the command line in order to to open other files for them to hold into their head

like i dont even know how you might try to copy and paste something

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*

MeruFM posted:

this is the equivalent of telling people to use man pages

yeah oh poo poo imagine having to learn the tools u use

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

certainly not by people who cant do side by side comparisons of code and have to enter a command into the command line in order to to open other files for them to hold into their head

like i dont even know how you might try to copy and paste something

emacs is very good for comparing things side by side, I use C-x 5 and M-x ediff-buffers a lot. i can't imagine using an editor that didn't make that kind of thing trivial.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's easy in vim if you use plugins

i assumed it was easy in vim without plugins once you got familiar with it but apparently not

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
everybody here seems to use ctrl p

is it better than command t?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Flat Daddy posted:

it would be cool if there was a good workhorse gui editor that was as good as vim or emacs

it's called emacs

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
newest favorite emacs plugins: helm (jesus christ this is amazing)

golden-ratio is also amazing since it makes split windows usable

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

loving around with a thing but i cant think up any good names for these objects

there's a SourceGroup (say a book or a statue, some physical item) that contains multiple SourceItems (scans of pages, photos of the inscriptions on each side of the statues base)

then there's a logical "SourceChunk" (a chapter in the book, the N+W inscriptions & the S+E inscriptions separately)

so theres a many-to-many between SourceChunk and SourceItem. a SourceChunk may point to multiple SourceItems (long chapter), and a SourceItem may be pointed to by multiple SourceChunks (chapter ends & new starts on same page)

SourceChunk is a poo poo name though, help pls

i think i'd go for 'item', 'view', 'section', so each physical item could have several "views" (e.g. photos) that could show fully or partially one or more logical sections

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Flat Daddy posted:

it would be cool if there was a good workhorse gui editor that was as good as vim or emacs

emacs has a pretty fancy gui, just most emacs users choose to turn it off

i don't really need/want toolbars and buttons and poo poo

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

AWWNAW posted:

whatever time seems to be saved using entity shame works will just be spent rewriting your data access code when it becomes obvious that your aggregate root repository pattern only works well for toy examples

The architect just went and set up... an architecture :haw: that will actually scale. The problem is actually configuring this code-first mess to match an existing (and lovely!) schema is a gigantic loving pain.

I sat down with a dev who has been at my work for 8 years and she even had a "... this should work" moment when we just sorta decided to go braindead until 5pm. Later it turns out "no, the serializer can only serialize a class with the exact same properties and no annotations or nothing within the same project" or whatever.

Anyway if I could have just loving eaten a sproc and pooped out a foo of List<BizObj> and burped that out of my controller I would have been a happy person and IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE A LOT loving FASTER.

Do you ever actually save time sculpting linq or do you spend just as much time writing TSQL but without the other bullshit associated?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Alternatively I could just be an awful idiot who just parrots programming believably and I reached my limit at code first EF.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ctrl-p is essential. without it i'd probably be using a real gui or something by now

Symbolic Butt posted:

everybody here seems to use ctrl p

is it better than command t?

iirc command-t required some compiled extension or somethign? ctrl-p just works except you need to refresh with f5 some times

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
other than command-t the other plugins that I use are just stuff like https://github.com/hdima/python-syntax. because vim's default syntax highlighting for python isn't perfect like I demand it to be.

one cool thing about emacs is that it seems to have pretty good syntax highlighting out of the box for every language that I checked

suffix posted:

iirc command-t required some compiled extension or somethign? ctrl-p just works except you need to refresh with f5 some times

yeah, it seems to depend on a bunch of ruby too. and it's kind of slow. I'll check ctrl p, I kind of assumed command-t was still better because the author still updates it.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

umm why are u doing code first against an existing db u could just import the schema to .edmx and generate the pocos

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

never mind just don't use ef

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
q: how do i search my entire project for a search term in vim?

a: Okay, let's turn this into a custom command. :se won't do, custom commands must start with an uppercase letter, so let's use :Se:

:command Se vimgrep /searchTerm/ **/*.html
This isn't parameterized yet. Let's allow an argument for the search term:

:command -nargs=1 Se vimgrep /<args>/ **/*.html
Then, default the file extension to the current buffer's; we now need :execute to interpolate the value:

:command -nargs=1 Se execute 'vimgrep /<args>/ **/*.' . expand('%:e')
Passing both pattern and extension as arguments requires that we split the arguments. Vim can pass individual strings by using <f-args>; we can make a List out of that by wrapping it with [ and ], and then use indexing to extract the arguments:

:command -nargs=+ Se execute 'vimgrep /' . [<f-args>][0] . '/ **/*.' . [<f-args>][1]
Voila!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Space Whale posted:

I challenge someone to race me in using EF to do something vs writing as proc and using ado.net because god damnit.

lol ef is really bad and future versions are going to be worse.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Space Whale posted:

The architect just went and set up... an architecture :haw: that will actually scale. The problem is actually configuring this code-first mess to match an existing (and lovely!) schema is a gigantic loving pain.

I sat down with a dev who has been at my work for 8 years and she even had a "... this should work" moment when we just sorta decided to go braindead until 5pm. Later it turns out "no, the serializer can only serialize a class with the exact same properties and no annotations or nothing within the same project" or whatever.

Anyway if I could have just loving eaten a sproc and pooped out a foo of List<BizObj> and burped that out of my controller I would have been a happy person and IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE A LOT loving FASTER.

Do you ever actually save time sculpting linq or do you spend just as much time writing TSQL but without the other bullshit associated?

ef is poo poo from a butt, but if you have procs already you can use its lovely function import thing to use it as a poor mans statement mapper.

if you don't have procs, go write the procs because it will be faster if you understand sql even a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Seriously? 5 pages of "learn this editor" chat and not one mention of vim adventures? I don't see any emacs adventure, do you? Dunnet doesn't count. No pico adventure. That's right. vim wins, baby.

But seriously, you're retarded if you're trying to multi-file edits in vim.

• Locked thread