Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

great fun loving dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Vorik posted:

sup

does anyone know some good websites for musician interviews/podcasts? i listened to this amazing billy corgan interview a while back and i'd like to listen to more stuff like that

This is my favorite musician interview: an interview with the guitarist from Tera Melos about his ridiculous pedalboards. Would really recommend watching all of it, he gets really in-depth about how he makes such crazy noises.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

great loving autism ibanez dogman
I'm not the person who made a "wordcloud" lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm not the person who made a "wordcloud" lol

ah yes, the person who typed the thousands of words is nothing compared to the person who used a website to generate a thing

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Dewgy posted:

and it still makes me twitch! that style of headstock means nylon strings to me

My mother in law has a nylon string guitar that used to be stringed with steel strings, but no one as allowed to change them because apparently it was stringed by a very famous musician and of course he knew what he was doing. drat thing was nearly unplayable, and itīs a miracle the neck didnīt break.

Dr. Faustus, why donīt you have fun and talk about ugly guitars instead of taking everything as a personal insult? That Martin guitar is a classic, and thereīs a fun story behind it, you should be proud to own such a unique guitar, even if it could have been in better shape.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
here's a funny/tragic story about a vintage acoustic guitar.

In my teens, a friend of mine (same friend I mentioned earlier in the thread, whose Dad was the bassist/vocalist for a long-running Irish showband), my friend would borrow his Dad's stuff for bedroom jammin', it was all genuinely old classic instruments. P'bass, amps, etc.. and an acoustic. don't remember if the acoustic was a remarkable brand or anything, but it was a genuine relic.

So one night my friend has a bunch of people in his bedroom, one of them brought a bootleg VHS of FACES OF DEATH. They watch it.
One of the guys in attendance, honestly the biggest burliest guy, after watching some of the tape, goes white, keels over and faints.
On his way down he knocks over the acoustic, and crash, the headstock snaps right off.

There was a big panic - he hides it from his Dad - which was retarded enough, should have owned up to the accident - but what was infinitely more retarded, he brings the drat thing over and asked ME to fix it.
Now, I've posted my teenage guitar tinkering earlier in this thread - my handiwork was not subtle - but I did my best.
I glued it with Araldite (didn't clamp it or anything), I got it back into a functioning instrument but the joint was less than invisible, let me tell ya...

I never did hear how the conversation with his Dad went.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
oh and also - going to see Hamell On Trial this month for the nth time - his only instrument is a battered 1937 Gibson acoustic, that he absolutely THRASHES on a lot of his tunes, god knows how it holds together

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
How to be a jerk guitar player in 10 easy steps. I've opened for people who treat this as gospel.

http://youtu.be/9ECgsfBzO6w

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

Dr. Faustus, why donīt you have fun and talk about ugly guitars instead of taking everything as a personal insult? That Martin guitar is a classic, and thereīs a fun story behind it, you should be proud to own such a unique guitar, even if it could have been in better shape.
You're right, of course. I think it's kinda hard to get over the fact that it's so ugly now when it could have been so beautiful.
It is a marvelous guitar, though. Hard as hell to play but the tone is incredible.

I'll try to have a better attitude.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
my friend got this for free, loving great guitar. Even if john 5 nothong wrong with that etc

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm done with loving morons like you.
Promises, promises.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

ATTN: Dr. Faustus;

I played my neighbors 7 string JEM today.

Never played an actual JEM before. It was actually really, really nice. Killer low action, nice sound, super thin neck(maybe too thin for me honestly). The neck and neck/middle combo sound really good. The bridge pickup wasn't exactly what I like, but it wasn't terrible. I'm more of a Duncan JB in the bridge kind of guy.

I dislike the bridge, and it feels weird trying to palm mute on it. But I dislike tremolos in general.

I'd give it an 8.3 out of 10.

I no longer blame you for liking them so much.

They do look pretty goofy though.
But I dislike them like 80% less now.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 7, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

Never played an actual JEM before. It was actually really, really nice. Killer low action, nice sound, super thin neck(maybe too thin for me honestly). The neck and neck/middle combo sound really good. The bridge pickup wasn't exactly what I like, but it wasn't terrible. I'm more of a Duncan JB in the bridge kind of guy.

I dislike the bridge, and it feels weird trying to palm mute on it. But I dislike tremolos in general.

now imagine the same thing but cheaper and without the dumb JEM poo poo and you have the RG prestiges

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Stux posted:

now imagine the same thing but cheaper and without the dumb JEM poo poo and you have the RG prestiges

The only think I really dislike about Ibanez guitars is the super thin necks. I have big hands, and those wizard necks feel weird to me.

If I could get an RG series with a hardtail bridge, and a big, thick, Gibson style neck, I'd be all over that.

I DID have a old(like 70s) Ibanez double cut HH style guitar years ago that was pretty nice. It had a bigger neck on it though.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 7, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The JEM neck is a tiny bit thicker than a wizard, and I enjoy it more than the Wizard (although to be fair I have several neck shapes and can adapt pretty quickly to all of them.)

One budget guitar I would recommend is the RG471AH. It's a hard-tail, H/S/H, and the neck has the exact same dimensions as the 6-string JEM neck. Beware, they have QC issues so don't be surprised if it needs fretwork.

Also, 'sup JB buddy? My RG770DX was my main gigging guitar and I put a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck because I love Robben Ford.

This is what I did with my 471AH: DiMarzio Eric Johnsons and a True Velvet in the middle. Wish I had more of those hardtail bridges. It's awesome.

There's another Ibanez out there with a hard tail that's H/H. Here's an example: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG652FX

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 7, 2015

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Hey I really dig that guitar. nice job

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

The JEM neck is a tiny bit thicker than a wizard, and I enjoy it more than the Wizard (although to be fair I have several neck shapes and can adapt pretty quickly to all of them.)

One budget guitar I would recommend is the RG471AH. It's a hard-tail, H/S/H, and the neck has the exact same dimensions as the 6-string JEM neck. Beware, they have QC issues so don't be surprised if it needs fretwork.

Also, 'sup JB buddy? My RD770DX was my main gigging guitar and I put a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck because I love Robben Ford.

This is what I did with my 471AH: DiMarzio Eric Johnsons and a True Velvet in the middle. Wish I had more of those hardtail bridges. It's awesome.

There's another Ibanez out there with a hard tail that's H/H. Here's an example: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG652FX

The JB/59 combo is the best possible option for a H/H guitar IMO. Like I have never found a pair of pickups that sound better together.

My Les Paul has it, as does my H-S-H Carvin.

I didn't even look at the back of the neck on that JEM...But is the RG compatible with a Fender style neck? Or is it a weird setup? Like could I buy a Warmoth neck and slap it on there? An RG style body with a custom made neck that's BIG is probably right up my alley. I really like how that RG you posted looks.

edit: my current favorite neck is on the Squire Jaguar I just got. It's 24" scale, but just the perfect thickness. Thinner than my Les Paul, thicker than my Carvins. It plays like a dream. If I could get a neck like that on an Ibanez, I'd probably like it a lot.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 7, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ThePutty posted:

i put all of dr. faustus' posts into a wordcloud and this was the result

pastebin bonus:

http://pastebin.com/i2rKqFMD

can you handle the faustus????

I think Faustus is weird and obsessive but I think you're equally weird and obsessive in a different way

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dirt posted:

was it a 7 string jem or was it a universe, this distinction is key. the easy way is to tell me if it had the handle

also JBs tend to suck in basswood guitars for some reason, and i'm not usually a tonewood voodoo guy

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Hey look at this loving thing -

And only $18k!

https://reverb.com/item/362031-rickenbacker-rickenbacker-331ls-lightshow-1971-burgundyglo

Dirt
May 26, 2003

muike posted:

was it a 7 string jem or was it a universe, this distinction is key. the easy way is to tell me if it had the handle

also JBs tend to suck in basswood guitars for some reason, and i'm not usually a tonewood voodoo guy

It was a white Steve Vai 7 String JEM. It had the monkey grip and the vine inlay.

It was way nicer than I expected honestly.

Like if it didn't look so dumb, I would maybe buy one.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 7, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm only asking because those only came out really recently and I like UVs a lot more and wanted to ask which UV it was :(

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

The JB/59 combo is the best possible option for a H/H guitar IMO. Like I have never found a pair of pickups that sound better together.

My Les Paul has it, as does my H-S-H Carvin.

I didn't even look at the back of the neck on that JEM...But is the RG compatible with a Fender style neck? Or is it a weird setup? Like could I buy a Warmoth neck and slap it on there? An RG style body with a custom made neck that's BIG is probably right up my alley. I really like how that RG you posted looks.

edit: my current favorite neck is on the Squire Jaguar I just got. It's 24" scale, but just the perfect thickness. Thinner than my Les Paul, thicker than my Carvins. It plays like a dream. If I could get a neck like that on an Ibanez, I'd probably like it a lot.
Another combo that sounds great together is a Seymour Duncan Custom/Custom Custom/CustomV with the '59. Similar gain structure but without the signature JB midrange boost. I also love love love a Pearly Gates. Any of those with a series/parallel switch (I use push/pull pots) sound amazing if you match them to the right capacitor.

I would say that Warmoth could sell you a neck that will fit an RG body. There are good sellers on eBay for example who also sell C&C made bodies and necks. Hell, there are lots of RG bodies on sale, too.
If the JEM look isn't for you (I see that it's not) you have options. Really cool, beefy hard-tail bridges have seemed hard to find to me. I haven't looked too hard, though. I do prefer them to double-locking trems now, though. As far as double-locking trems go, I think the Ibanez Edge II is pretty much the best. It's beefy (massive, even) but very sensitive when you want it to be.

Ferroque posted:

Hey I really dig that guitar. nice job
You're very kind, thank you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
there;s a lot of hardtail 7 strings from ibanez this year

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

If I could get an RG series with a hardtail bridge, and a big, thick, Gibson style neck, I'd be all over that.

that's literally what the agile septor/interceptor is. they're made in the same korean factory ibanez used to contract out to

Dirt posted:

most likely not since rg's are 24 fret guitars and fender (and their licensees) mostly makes 21/22 fret necks, so the intonation would be way off if you bolted one on, never mind that the neck pocket dimension will more likely than not be totally different

most warmoth necks are made with 22 frets, but their 24 fret version just extends the last two frets on a shelf past the neck heel, so they don't work with bodies cut for 24 fret necks. it's the reason why their jackson style neck can't be used as a drop-in replacement on actual jacksons, unless it was a 22 fret body to begin with

like faustus said, they can probably custom make you one that'll work, but it'll likely cost as much as a new guitar on its own

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 7, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wouldn't go to Warmoth for actual custom orders anyway, I'd find someone like ET guitars to make you a replacement Ibanez neck. But like bort says you're better off just buying something off the shelf like that.

I wonder if the old pre-AANJ Ibanez neck pockets are the same as Fender ones though...probably not.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That is so dumb. I love it. Not eighteen grand love it, but still. Also do the lights blink, or are they static? They'd better blink.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://reverb.com/item/356615-postal-handmade-steam-punk-10-string-guitar-anitique-natural-fender-usa-pickups-new-video

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
there was a guitar on reverb that i was thinking about selling but it was being sold by a man's wife because he had developed multiple sclerosis and could no longer player and i had too many feels to buy it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

The only think I really dislike about Ibanez guitars is the super thin necks. I have big hands, and those wizard necks feel weird to me.

I DID have a old(like 70s) Ibanez double cut HH style guitar years ago that was pretty nice. It had a bigger neck on it though.

you should try a couple of different ibbys, not just the RGs either, the RGA and S series have some good stuff in and they have a few different neck profiles going on at any one time although admittedly they are mainly of the thin and flat type.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Also, 'sup JB buddy? My RG770DX was my main gigging guitar and I put a JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck because I love Robben Ford.

depends on the wizard neck tbh, there have been ones that are thinner, ones that are thicker, a couple of been literally the same dimensions as the JEM neck etc. they are a bit more varied than that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

you should try a couple of different ibbys, not just the RGs either, the RGA and S series have some good stuff in and they have a few different neck profiles going on at any one time although admittedly they are mainly of the thin and flat type.

depends on the wizard neck tbh, there have been ones that are thinner, ones that are thicker, a couple of been literally the same dimensions as the JEM neck etc. they are a bit more varied than that.
All true.

Here's a handy chart:

Not sure how up-to-date it is, but Google is handy for stuff like this.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 7, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm saving that.

also i found this last night:
https://reverb.com/item/470486-ibanez-mij-rg7421-2000-black
I didn't buy it because like I didn't want to own the guitar that a guy had to sell because he was dying because I'm emotionally weak but someone should buy it

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

I'm saving that.

also i found this last night:
https://reverb.com/item/470486-ibanez-mij-rg7421-2000-black
I didn't buy it because like I didn't want to own the guitar that a guy had to sell because he was dying because I'm emotionally weak but someone should buy it

Maybe they need the money and you buying it would help them out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i also found a 7621 that i wanted more for a similar price... :(

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

muike posted:

i also found a 7621 that i wanted more for a similar price... :(

that poor man is going to die in a gutter because you only wanted one new guitar. shame on you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He should've bought a 7621 instead

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

muike posted:

I wouldn't go to Warmoth for actual custom orders anyway, I'd find someone like ET guitars to make you a replacement Ibanez neck.

Ernie built the neck for my JEM to spec. Best neck I've ever wrapped my mitt around.

Dr. Faustus posted:

All true.

Here's a handy chart:

Not sure how up-to-date it is, but Google is handy for stuff like this.

Its missing the FRM but I have an accurate picture to illustrate the neck dimensions.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 8, 2015

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
had a dude come in today to play guitar w/ me and the guy im writing music with

im not sure its going to work out, the only touchstone i could get at all with him was weezer who he "hasnt really heard much" and he whipped out a gen-u-wine jackson randy rhoades

cool to know how the other half lives sometimes u kno

e: https://reverb.com/item/479422-dean-e10apj-skull-crusher-edge-series-active-electric-bass-guitar
hell yeah motherfucker. reverb is so fun for weird goofy poo poo.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 8, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Its missing the FRM but I have an accurate picture to illustrate the neck dimensions.

dude thats my mom not cool (she's either a brunette in high-water khakis or a huge tree)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i... think im coming around on faustus' martin angst.

https://reverb.com/item/469961-fender-precision-bass-1962

i found this. that weird martin isn't nearly as bad as this turd but holy fuckin poo poo way to ruin a vintage bass.

• Locked thread