Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Was there ever a reason as to why the clothing customization options were dropped from ORAS, that was literally the best feature of X/Y and is something that really drags the game down for me that it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They said it was to give people a reason to play X and Y again. Probably a load of bull but eh.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

Was there ever a reason as to why the clothing customization options were dropped from ORAS, that was literally the best feature of X/Y and is something that really drags the game down for me that it's gone.

There was some super dumb excuse thrown out about how they wanted some features to stay unique to some regions to keep the regions more memorable.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There needs to be some way to skip past the tutorials at the start of each Pokemon game. I don't care if it's singing the TV show theme from memory.

New mechanics like mega evolutions do need tutorials, as well as things that were added in a remake like Pokemon being able to follow behind you, but we don't need to be told that having 0 hp is a bad thing every time we play a new entry.

While most tutorials can just be skimmed through by tapping A, the worst thing is not being allowed to sprint for the first half hour, just because the game doesn't trust you to grasp the concept of holding a button to move faster.

I can't remember if any of the games after Fire Red and Leaf Green were as bad about this, but the same goes for any game that restricts intuitive or useful mechanics just because it wants to introduce everything one at a time. For instance, Paper Mario's combat is incredibly basic until you're told about timed attacks, while in the sequel you can do them from the very first battle, along with B-button parries and stunts to show off to the audience.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It would be amazing if at the beginning of every nintendo game you could go into the options from the word start and click "I've played every Zelda/Mario/Pokemon since their inception, I'm good" button and the game just cuts out all the tutorials.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"let me show you how to catch a pokemon." I'm good, I know what I'm doing with a pokeball.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Austrian mook posted:

It would be amazing if at the beginning of every nintendo game you could go into the options from the word start and click "I've played every Zelda/Mario/Pokemon since their inception, I'm good" button and the game just cuts out all the tutorials.

This would be a godsend. No need to cut out any dialog of introductory plot, just change the tutorials from what they are to say something like "Catching new pokemon is important, come back and ask me later if you want a refresher on the basics!" Boom, done.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

There needs to be some way to skip past the tutorials at the start of each Pokemon game. I don't care if it's singing the TV show theme from memory.

New mechanics like mega evolutions do need tutorials, as well as things that were added in a remake like Pokemon being able to follow behind you, but we don't need to be told that having 0 hp is a bad thing every time we play a new entry.

While most tutorials can just be skimmed through by tapping A, the worst thing is not being allowed to sprint for the first half hour, just because the game doesn't trust you to grasp the concept of holding a button to move faster.

I can't remember if any of the games after Fire Red and Leaf Green were as bad about this, but the same goes for any game that restricts intuitive or useful mechanics just because it wants to introduce everything one at a time. For instance, Paper Mario's combat is incredibly basic until you're told about timed attacks, while in the sequel you can do them from the very first battle, along with B-button parries and stunts to show off to the audience.

Comparing pretty much anything to TTYD isn't going to be fair though. That game is literally perfect.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oddly, I think most Kirby games are really good about not overloading you with tutorials unless you ask for them.

I do wonder if some of the over-tutorializing stems from cultural differences, or perhaps is an attempt to kill two birds with one stone and build some anticipation while making sure every single player, young and old, is on the same page.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Feb 6, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I do wonder if some of the over-tutorializing stems from cultural differences
Yeah, American games never -- do you remember how to hide behind cover? Press the square button! -- do this.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I think we all know very drat well by now that cutting the power during a save can cause Bad Stuff.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Austrian mook posted:

"let me show you how to catch a pokemon." I'm good, I know what I'm doing with a pokeball.

Be sure to hold up+B+select while the pokemon is trying to get out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arrath posted:

I think we all know very drat well by now that cutting the power during a save can cause Bad Stuff.

This one makes the most sense to me. Just always assume someone somewhere is playing a game for the first time. You have to learn that somewhere and if it were in a manual nobody would ever see or read that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Len posted:

This one makes the most sense to me. Just always assume someone somewhere is playing a game for the first time. You have to learn that somewhere and if it were in a manual nobody would ever see or read that.

Yeah I'd say its one of the few legitimate tips/warnings that every game should have, and I like how most have integrated it into the copyright/legalese splash screen where its very unobtrusive.

15 minutes of camera controls can start to grate, especially every time you start a new game.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arrath posted:

I Alt-F4'd while Dying Light was saving a checkpoint and I didn't notice... I lost my entire inventory and cash reserve... :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Who What Now posted:

I Alt-F4'd while Dying Light was saving a checkpoint and I didn't notice... I lost my entire inventory and cash reserve... :negative:

Back in high school I'd been playing Dark Cloud 2 and was like 20 hours in when the powered flickered during a save. To this day I've never played that game again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason Pokemon games still don't let you skip the tutorial is because the games are primarily for actual children but can be played by anybody. That doesn't mean it's a kids' game but it does mean that it has to have that level of accessibility naturally built into it.

It would be nice of them to put in an option to be like "shut up old man I know what I'm doing I read my Pokemon Catching Guides back in Pokemon School" or something though. If you don't teach people how to play the game then they won't know how to play it. If you force the tutorial it will annoy people who don't need it. If you give people the OPTION of being taught how or not then it's entirely their fault if they don't learn. Most games nowadays have an option to turn off tutorial prompts or hints.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Feb 6, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Judge Tesla posted:

Same reason almost no enemy trainer has a character model, laziness.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I think Nintendo's overall philosophy is that any game could be someone's first game, and streamlining and intuitive use are valued over customizability. I think they could stand to tweak the execution of these concepts but the philosophy has made them a lot of money.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

But then you would be cutting out half the game.

Austrian mook posted:

Comparing pretty much anything to TTYD isn't going to be fair though. That game is literally perfect.

TTYD has several chapters that are over 50% backtracking (the superspooky chapter comes to mind, in which you have to backtrack back across the forest no less than 4 times).

It's fabulous your first time but I did not find it easy to replay. The second (and to some extent the third) chapter is very boring once you've played the game before, and then you have the turbo backtracking chapter to look forward to right after that if I'm remembering the order right. Of course it's still miles ahead of super paper mario. God what a disappointment that game was by comparison. Whether you judge it as an action game or as a paper mario game it's just dumb.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Everyone knows you rotate the control pad clockwise :colbert:

:edit:

In rhythm with the pokeball's wiggles if it's a normal pokemon and as fast as humanly possible if it's a legendary :colbert:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Gestalt Intellect posted:

...of course it's still miles ahead of super paper mario. God what a disappointment that game was by comparison. Whether you judge it as an action game or as a paper mario game it's just dumb.

What a disappointing sequel. I know that it's easy to complain that nerds just want more of the same, but seriously, it's been over a decade since TTYD, and the two games that follow substituted limp-dick action for the tight rpg design, and ripped out reams of character and world-building and exposition and replaced them with garbage and the generic Mario bros 3 aesthetic we've seen dozens of times.

I'm not asking for an annual franchise, just one more game that followed the template would be amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I used to do that so often (well, just up+B) that now I can't not do it. Even though I know it doesnt work, the habit is so strong I can't break it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Dude, put the controller down and just watch an LP of it. I love Atlus to death but holy balls, Baroque is a bad game.

Baroque is a Sting game, just published by Atlus.

But regardless I actually really dig the game itself. The gameplay is pretty unique (I'm having trouble thinking of another 3d action-roguelike) and the aesthetic is cool, it's just annoyingly cryptic at times. And my first complaint was actually sort of unfounded, because last night when I fired it up again there was a guy in the dungeon that really strongly hinted at what you needed to do to progress the story.

On topic: the game has an iOS port (go try it, it's free to download and an absolutely laughable $18 to unlock the full game). Unless my copy was bugged somehow the port only has one song for music, doesn't have voiceovers, and the camera turn rate is far too slow to actually play the game. Why do companies even bother porting games that the platform obviously can't handle well, do a lovely job on the port, and then charge an arm and a leg for it? It's insane. See also: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite iOS.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheSpiritFox posted:

In rhythm with the pokeball's wiggles if it's a normal pokemon and as fast as humanly possible if it's a legendary :colbert:

Out of all the "methods" I've heard to increase chances of capturing a pokemon this is the first time I've seen this one.

Up+B for life.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

m.hache posted:

Out of all the "methods" I've heard to increase chances of capturing a pokemon this is the first time I've seen this one.

Up+B for life.

I use Down+B. You know, like you're holding the pokeball shut.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

But regardless I actually really dig the game itself. The gameplay is pretty unique (I'm having trouble thinking of another 3d action-roguelike) and the aesthetic is cool, it's just annoyingly cryptic at times. And my first complaint was actually sort of unfounded, because last night when I fired it up again there was a guy in the dungeon that really strongly hinted at what you needed to do to progress the story.

On topic: the game has an iOS port (go try it, it's free to download and an absolutely laughable $18 to unlock the full game). Unless my copy was bugged somehow the port only has one song for music, doesn't have voiceovers, and the camera turn rate is far too slow to actually play the game. Why do companies even bother porting games that the platform obviously can't handle well, do a lovely job on the port, and then charge an arm and a leg for it? It's insane. See also: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite iOS.

I realized my error way after the fact. Sorry about that.

I like it, too--it's weird and cryptic and spooky and everything about it makes you want to dive in and see what the story is but holy mackerel, if there's a game that's ever been made that's "not for everyone," this is it.

There's an iOS port? :stare:

You'd think they'd have learned their lesson after the godawful Wii port.

That loving Sned posted:

I don't care if it's singing the TV show theme from memory.

This is actually an awesome idea, but knowing Nintendo they'd film it with the onboard camera and try to monetize it on YouTube, and one day you'd see yourself in a compilation video of dozens of people belting out the theme to a kids' TV show

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What was wrong with the Wii port?

And everyone knows you wiggle the d-pad the opposite direction the poke ball goes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

What was wrong with the Wii port?

And everyone knows you wiggle the d-pad the opposite direction the poke ball goes.

The game didn't have the greatest controls to begin with and it wasn't developed with Wii Remote support in mind. They just sort of stuck it in after-the-fact, and it shows.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In South Park: The Stick of Truth it can be very annoying whenever a checkpoint is paired up with a QTE. One example is the part where you have to give Randy Marsh an abortion. First you have to put on your hospital scrubs and then you have to engage with a very easy to lose QTE as the game doesn't give you the right instructions. The first-time player will rip off Randy's testicles many times by mistake and get a game-over.

It's also clear that all the effort and attention went into the main quest. Most of the sidequests are all "Destroy 5 Things/Collect 5 Things" and there's little story attached to them which is surprising for Obsidian. Still fun, and I haven't played Paper Mario but I hear this is a better sequel than the last two installments.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Oh God, I always think I'm going to have fun playing Mass Effect and its sequels, but planetary exploration is boring as poo poo. Mass Effect 2 sucks balls for planet scanning. They finally took their head out of their rear end with Mass Effect 3.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

This.

Also, all good trainers knew it varied by the ball:

Poke ball=Down+B
Great ball=Up+B
Ultra ball=A (or Up+A)

But you better not dare do any of these with the master ball or that poo poo WILL break, and you will for drat SURE be known throughout the school as that loser that didn't catch Mewtwo. We'd all heard the story of "That Kid" it totally happened to and kept our thumbs far, far from the buttons when time came to toss that ball.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In South Park: The Stick of Truth it can be very annoying whenever a checkpoint is paired up with a QTE. One example is the part where you have to give Randy Marsh an abortion. First you have to put on your hospital scrubs and then you have to engage with a very easy to lose QTE as the game doesn't give you the right instructions. The first-time player will rip off Randy's testicles many times by mistake and get a game-over.

Unless you live in the EU regions and didn't buy the PC versions, you never saw any of these minigames, the first and only one I saw was the Bomb defusing one at the end of the game, we just got sarcastic censorship cards instead of games.

Thanks Ubisoft.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gestalt Intellect posted:

But then you would be cutting out half the game.

TTYD has several chapters that are over 50% backtracking (the superspooky chapter comes to mind, in which you have to backtrack back across the forest no less than 4 times).

It's fabulous your first time but I did not find it easy to replay. The second (and to some extent the third) chapter is very boring once you've played the game before, and then you have the turbo backtracking chapter to look forward to right after that if I'm remembering the order right. Of course it's still miles ahead of super paper mario. God what a disappointment that game was by comparison. Whether you judge it as an action game or as a paper mario game it's just dumb.

This is especially bad if you're trying to 100% the game since a lot of the side quests are just back tracking. And like half of them have you going to and from the glitzpit which has a really annoying, unskippable cutscene to get to.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Arma 3's command system within your squad, you can divide your troops into different teams but as far as I know there is no hotkey for the teams. So if I wanted to select a certain I'd need to hit one key to bring up the command menu, press another key to access the team menu, then hit the hotkey for the specific team. But those hotkeys are 9 or 0, on the far right side of the board. Without the ability to pause and give commands its a cluster gently caress of participating in a fire fight, either taking my hand off my mouse or trying to stretch my left hand from the movement keys to hit 9 or 0, then rapidly back to hit the team hotkey, then having to hit the hotkey for the other command menus. So if I wanted to command white team to move somewhere I would need to push 9 (brings up the assign menu), 9 (brings up the team menu), 5 (selects white team), 1 (movement menu), 2(go there). Having a key to just select a certain team would work wonders.

With the lethality of the game I really can 't be fumbling with keys to command my troops.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Sometimes when I've beaten a game like Pheonix Wright I just want to play it again for the story but there's no option to do that. :saddowns:

im pooping! posted:

Oh man this thread gave me the itch to play Mass Effect again, I was pretty burned out on it a few months back. I'm doing an insanity run with a manshep this time and my goodness, combat is incredibly boring on insanity mode. I'm a vanguard with singularity as my bonus power, so I just do singularity>marksman>adrenaline burst>repeat and it takes like 2 minutes of just stun locking and holding down the trigger to kill anything. And God forbid a lone enemy can shoot rockets, because one direct hit will kill you instantly. ME2 was much better(mainly because of checkpoints), and I know people hated on Mass Effect 3(I enjoyed it when it first came out and still enjoy it today), but as far as combat goes, it was the best, because it seemed the least monotonous. Lots of biotic and tech explosions(vanguards can explode basically everyone constantly).

I've tried to start ME three times and I can only ever get to the first planet before I just stop caring.

Ryoshi posted:

Baoque is a really cool idea done really poorly.

TheSpiritFox posted:

You forgot you need to tap A while you're doing that. Also holding forward + A makes your attacks more accurate and holding back + B makes enemy attacks less accurate. It's a secret dev input for testing. :ssh:

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Feb 7, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Underwater combat in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. The character moves too slowly, the camera is poo poo, and so far only one monster I've had to do an underwater fight with hasn't just gone up on land at some point during the fight anyhow.

Also the fact that the hunter is incapable of running with their weapon drawn, and has to strike a pose after they drink a potion.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In KH:Dreamdrop, unlike most of the other games in the series, you don't have disney characters helping you fight and instead get to make monsters to function as party members in a sort of FFXIII-2 fashion. To make them, you have to farm for a gently caress ton of materials. You can use an even greater of gently caress ton materials to increase their base stats at creation and their rank.

As compensation though, you can feed your monsters treats to buff them up and get rid of elemental weaknesses and so on. You cannot directly feed your monster however, you just throw food up from the bottom screen to the top screen where your monsters are bumbling around and they'll sort of wander around the treats proximity for maybe 1-2 minutes before they generally notice it. And when they do, there's a good chance another monster (one your probably just getting abilities out of and will not use after that) will swoop down and take it instead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Anatharon posted:

Sometimes when I've beaten a game like Pheonix Wright I just want to play it again for the story but there's no option to do that. :saddowns:

You do know that you can select any case you have already completed to replay it right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Austrian mook posted:

:hfive:

At least it's got better with some series, like A Link Between Worlds getting you to the action more quickly.

Kingdom Hearts also had horribly long tutorials in KHII and Days, but was much more brief in Birth by Sleep. At least the new command system and ability melding made more sense than the dozens of new mechanics crammed into 3D.

scarycave posted:

In KH:Dreamdrop, unlike most of the other games in the series, you don't have disney characters helping you fight and instead get to make monsters to function as party members in a sort of FFXIII-2 fashion. To make them, you have to farm for a gently caress ton of materials. You can use an even greater of gently caress ton materials to increase their base stats at creation and their rank.

As compensation though, you can feed your monsters treats to buff them up and get rid of elemental weaknesses and so on. You cannot directly feed your monster however, you just throw food up from the bottom screen to the top screen where your monsters are bumbling around and they'll sort of wander around the treats proximity for maybe 1-2 minutes before they generally notice it. And when they do, there's a good chance another monster (one your probably just getting abilities out of and will not use after that) will swoop down and take it instead.

They made getting abilities such a chore in that game. If you've got to have a pet raising mechanic, make it like Chao in the Sonic Adventure games, where playing the main game lets you improve your pets, rather than raising your pets to improve you in the main game.