Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Third World Reggin posted:

early access
zombie
voxel
open world
survival
full loot

yea Dying Light is cool

wish I could remap the controls though, I want jump to be X, who the hell binds jump to R1? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Sleeveless posted:

Wolfenstein 2009 by Raven Software was really good, I don't know why people completely ignored it but turned their inferior, gimmicky Singularity into a cult game.

I absolutely loved Raven's Wolfenstein 2009 and I did an extremely thorough Let's Play of it.

I am currently doing one of Singularity, which I also a massive fan of... but I never quite understood why people said it was so much better than Wolf 2009. For every individual thing that Singularity does better than Wolf09, Wolf09 did something else better than Singularity.

Singularity's upgrade system for weapons and powers was a feature tacked on in the final months of the game, with rather unexciting stat changes to your weapons and no visual changes. Wolfenstein's upgrades were magnificent. I loved fully upgraded the tesla gun so it fired out loads of streams of lightning that jumped between enemies, do electric melee attacks, and had expanded ammo capacity so that you could use it as the primary weapon throughout multiple missions. I also loved how you could upgrade your time-slowing power so that the shockwave when you activated it would petrify enemies. Or how upgrading the shield turned it into an instant-death flesh-melting forcefield.

I think it would have been awesome if Singularity had used Wolfenstein's hub town/resistance base idea, and had you visiting a resistance base between missions to get upgrades from Dr Barisov. Wasn't a big fan of the BIoshock/Dead Space style upgrade machines.

I was pleased to see that Wolfenstein The New Order re-used that resistance base idea, and even had Caroline return as the resistance leader. I remember some pre-release articles had claimed New Order was going to ignore Wolf09 and pretend it hadn't happened, which would have been an awful dismissal of a great, underrated game. (The journalists probably misunderstood a dev's comment about the supernatural powers not returning.)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

precision posted:

yea Dying Light is cool

wish I could remap the controls though, I want jump to be X, who the hell binds jump to R1? :psyduck:

you're meant to be free running and it bases its actions on what you're looking at, plus clambering etc is a hold rather than tap, so having it on a face button would be terrible

edit:see also mirrors edge which used L1 iirc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
mirrors edge was extremely my poo poo

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

i think steam sales cause mental illness because every user is guaranteed to buy at least one game they will never touch, until they end up with like 800 games and have only played like ten at most

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/04/17/nearly-37-of-all-registered-steam-games-have-never-been-played/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

I started checking out every NES game once. I was actually trying to find a song that I remembered from my dad renting the game when I was a kid (I have never found it and don't remember a thing about the game) but figured I would try all the games in the meantime. I think I got to Color a Dinosaur before I gave up.
Have you ever watched Chrontendo? It's a video series where a guy is playing every single Famicom/NES game ever released, in order of release date. He's got 48 episodes so far and he's made it up to 1989. It's really good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Excels posted:

i think steam sales cause mental illness because every user is guaranteed to buy at least one game they will never touch, until they end up with like 800 games and have only played like ten at most

Yeah I used to do this quite a bit too and still end up doing it occasionally but I think alot of people do it to an extent that the whole appeal of getting cheap games in a sale ends up becoming a false economy , buying so much poo poo they never play it would have been cheaper just to buy something they actually really want at full price

Now every time I see something that vaguely catches my eye I remind myself of the tens of games I have with 0.9 hours playtime and the whole stack of rpgs I got bored with after two hours. Never again :911:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Really hoping that Jon Blow goes bankrupt... he is the worst

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/06/the-witness-money/

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Braid was boring and not good.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Gahmah posted:

So I"m eyeballing resonance of fate on PSN, has anyone played it, it's only $20

Yeah, I'd probably say you should pass on it unless you really like jRPGs and such. The combat system is really loving obtuse at first, and the upgrade system lets you attach things to your guns in ways that don't make sense, but that's sort of the charm of it. Basically the game is hard and you'll need to go over some tips to really be able to even play it well at all, it's also really anime/weird a lot of the time but that's probably not a problem for you if you're inquiring about it. Also the plot takes a while to happen, but you have small quests/jobs to busy yourself with.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

zenintrude posted:

lmao screencapping your own burn tweet to a fuckin news account

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

your evil twin posted:

I absolutely loved Raven's Wolfenstein 2009 and I did an extremely thorough Let's Play of it.

I am currently doing one of Singularity, which I also a massive fan of... but I never quite understood why people said it was so much better than Wolf 2009. For every individual thing that Singularity does better than Wolf09, Wolf09 did something else better than Singularity.

Singularity's upgrade system for weapons and powers was a feature tacked on in the final months of the game, with rather unexciting stat changes to your weapons and no visual changes. Wolfenstein's upgrades were magnificent. I loved fully upgraded the tesla gun so it fired out loads of streams of lightning that jumped between enemies, do electric melee attacks, and had expanded ammo capacity so that you could use it as the primary weapon throughout multiple missions. I also loved how you could upgrade your time-slowing power so that the shockwave when you activated it would petrify enemies. Or how upgrading the shield turned it into an instant-death flesh-melting forcefield.

I think it would have been awesome if Singularity had used Wolfenstein's hub town/resistance base idea, and had you visiting a resistance base between missions to get upgrades from Dr Barisov. Wasn't a big fan of the BIoshock/Dead Space style upgrade machines.

I was pleased to see that Wolfenstein The New Order re-used that resistance base idea, and even had Caroline return as the resistance leader. I remember some pre-release articles had claimed New Order was going to ignore Wolf09 and pretend it hadn't happened, which would have been an awful dismissal of a great, underrated game. (The journalists probably misunderstood a dev's comment about the supernatural powers not returning.)

You've probably already read this but it's a pretty good breakdown of why Singularity is so slapdash and transparently ripping off Bioshock. The version of the game with enough money and hardware to live up to their original ideas probably would have been great.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

The guy who analyzed and improved the Steam Marketplace into the thriving business place it is today, Yanis Varoufakis, is now the Finance Minister of Greece.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

elf help book posted:

Seemed like a good idea at the time......... :suicide:

Here's what I was referring to: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/the-most-dangerous-gamer/308928/

vvv Yes, the connect-the-dots game is going to own :rolleyes: vvv

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Braid had amazing puzzles and The Witness is going to own

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

zenintrude posted:

The Witness looks really cool, but Jonathan Blow badly needs a PR person and he also badly needs to keep his mouth shut.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

zenintrude posted:

but he's right about video games in general and braid was good

Also manchildren don't buy expensive cars, they buy toys and poo poo buying an expensive car with money you've earned is not that. Is someone jealous?

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 6, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

but he's right about video games in general and braid was good

Also manchildren don't buy expensive cars, they buy toys and poo poo buying an expensive car with money you've earned is not that. Is someone jealous?

The point was that it's being dishonest to say he blew his entire fortune to develop his next game. He really didn't. He isn't making sacrifices. No one makes sacrifices in business. He has plenty of personal wealth and money and is living just fine.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zenintrude posted:

Seemed like a good idea at the time......... :suicide:

Here's what I was referring to: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/the-most-dangerous-gamer/308928/

vvv Yes, the connect-the-dots game is going to own :rolleyes: vvv

Yep it will.

Also I'm an idiot and a bad programmer but his language sounds cool to me, I've watched a few of the videos

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Acne Rain posted:

"His minimal collection of furniture is almost all rented, including the springy beige sofa he got just a few months ago, after he arranged to have several video-game journalists over and realized he had nowhere for them to sit."

Buying a crazy toy and then not having the foresight to own essentials (like, chairs) is pretty manchildy. Not jealous, just confused as to why no one in games journalism has the balls to point out how ridiculous this guy is.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

zenintrude posted:

"His minimal collection of furniture is almost all rented, including the springy beige sofa he got just a few months ago, after he arranged to have several video-game journalists over and realized he had nowhere for them to sit."

Buying a crazy toy and then not having the foresight to own essentials (like, chairs) is pretty manchildy. Not jealous, just confused as to why no one in games journalism has the balls to point out how ridiculous this guy is.

youre weird

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah I guess this is about how gaming journalism can be unethical...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

No doubt... at least I own a couch :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

I started checking out every NES game once. I was actually trying to find a song that I remembered from my dad renting the game when I was a kid (I have never found it and don't remember a thing about the game) but figured I would try all the games in the meantime. I think I got to Color a Dinosaur before I gave up.

The NES even has a pretty modest library compared to monsters like the PSX and the 360. Wayyyyy back in the day I downloaded all 127 then-available NES roms (I owned all the cartridges so that made it legal, that's science) but there's tons of poo poo in there I never even touched past the title screen.

Playing through every "worthwhile" video game that exists to this day would take someone's entire lifespan. And they keep making more!!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Blow's kind of weird and I'm not all that interested in his RealMyst clone but IIRC he gave a bunch of help and free code to the Spelunky devs so he can't be all bad.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I agree that jonathan blow is an idiot douche, but he made a good game and the next one is probably gonna be good too even though he's a lovely person

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Problem Sleuth posted:

I agree that jonathan blow is an idiot douche, but he made a good game and the next one is probably gonna be good too even though he's a lovely person

Personally, I hope he starves to death for not properly furnishing his house.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

elf help book posted:

Personally, I hope he starves to death for not properly furnishing his house.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bicyclops posted:

Are there good browser games that basically involve zero thought but slowly award points and level you up?
Progress Quest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

braid is really bad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

braid is really bad.

you got a name change from Ralp!!!!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Jonathan Blow is a trust fund baby with enough money to drop nearly half a million dollars commissioning the art and licensing the music that made Braid marketable in the first place. Much like the Castle Doctrine guy he has ths weird fixation on minimalism that can only come from a person who has never had to go without and can pull the ripcord on their golden parachute the moment they actually have problems that require money.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Man Blow is the most hated man in games and he didn't even throw bees at his severely allergic team members

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Man Blow is the most hated man in games and he didn't even throw bees at his severely allergic team members
Nah, that's Phil Fish.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
He left games didn't he?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
braid had good puzzles and creative time travel mechanics and so was a fun puzzle game

I don't know much about johnathan blow or his couch and I don't care but he makes gamers get really mad and scream a lot in a way that makes you embarrassed for them, usually that's a sign someone is actually Good.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 6, 2015

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

precision posted:

yea Dying Light is cool

I was talking about h1z1 or insert any bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Acne Rain posted:

I don't know much about johnathan blow or his couch and I don't care but he makes gamers get really mad and scream a lot in a way that makes you embarrassed for them, usually that's a sign someone is actually Good.

Unfortunately he's actually a dick

But usually your guess would be correct

• Locked thread