Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Er. Oh, one previous reply concerning that was apparently aimed at me, too. Sorry. I actually don't even know what this Hangouts app is... I mean, presumably it's for hanging out, but I've never opened anything like that. Or... What does "Continue running background apps when Chrome is closed" do? I've never understood that. It doesn't seem to speed up reopening Chrome, and as opposed to Linux, there isn't anything in the taskbar. Presumably that's something I don't use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
chrome now has "apps" that are like extensions except take up memory all of the time independently of the browser being open, it's great.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

supermikhail posted:

Am I screwed (hyperbolically speaking) if I don't own a smartphone, which is required for a 2 auth app, as I've heard? I'm probably locked out of backup codes, if I understand it correctly.

You can use something like this: https://winauth.com/ to generate the TOTP (a standard) codes. I'm sure there's something similar for Linux that's CLI-based.

Obviously, if using Windows, I'd highly recommend using their implementation of DPAPI storage of the secrets so they aren't sitting in a config file somewhere.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Er. I'm not sure how that's supposed to help me. It still requires some kind of a secret code.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

supermikhail posted:

Er. I'm not sure how that's supposed to help me. It still requires some kind of a secret code.

It can serve as a way to use 2-factor without owning a smartphone/tablet/android/iOS device (which you stated you were too cheap for.)

If you're asking how to get into an account where you: enabled 2-FA, used all your backup codes, don't have access to your backup email account, and have a phone registered that can't get texts or calls from Google, whelp, you're hosed. You can try contacting Google support, but that's a long shot.

Or maybe what you're asking is very unclear.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

B-Nasty posted:

enabled 2-FA, forgot all about your backup codes as soon as they were introduced, don't have backup email account, and have a phone registered that can't get texts or calls from Google, whelp, you're hosed.

^^^The situation formulated more precisely.

And I'm not too cheap for a smartphone. In fact, I got given one as a gift about a year ago, but I felt that someone could make better use of all that functionality, so I gave it away to some relative. Although I keep getting reminded from time to time that for it's still registered to me in Google's eyes. Er. Hm. It's a long shot, but maybe I could remember which relative I gave the phone to, and install the 2 auth on it... You know, it's kind of starting to feel like I left a gaping security loophole, and 2 auth may be the least of my problems. :ohdear:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

supermikhail posted:

^^^The situation formulated more precisely.

And I'm not too cheap for a smartphone. In fact, I got given one as a gift about a year ago, but I felt that someone could make better use of all that functionality, so I gave it away to some relative. Although I keep getting reminded from time to time that for it's still registered to me in Google's eyes. Er. Hm. It's a long shot, but maybe I could remember which relative I gave the phone to, and install the 2 auth on it... You know, it's kind of starting to feel like I left a gaping security loophole, and 2 auth may be the least of my problems. :ohdear:

lol

I just don't know what to say about this.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

lol

I just don't know what to say about this.

Problem exists between keyboard and chair. Closing as resolved.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Is there anyway to get adobe shockwave player "full" on chrome / firefox? I'm trying to run this: http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/icl/dermot/organomet/electroncounting/default.html

but apparently because I've installed the "slim" version it won't run properly. Have I messed up installation or is there some download I'm missing? Can anyone who has shockwave get this file to run?

Even when I try and download "full" on the shockwave alternative downloads page it just downloads "slim". Why even have 2 different versions??

Crack fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 2, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
On the other hand, the phone turns out to be broken, and not used anymore. So, eh, nobody wins?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Is there any extension (or script?) that will let me right click a picture and save it directly to my G+ photos? I have the "Save to Google Drive" extension but that doesn't put the picture with my photos, just dumps it in my main Google Drive folder.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
This new thing is... odd. Well, new and some old. Chrome habitually saves bookmarks into the wrong folders. That is, I choose one, but the bookmark ends up somewhere else (usually the previously selected folder). Now, it seems to select simply random folders as the "default" for saving bookmarks. It used to be the folder where I saved a bookmark last, now I can't see any rhyme or reason for the selection.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a Chrome extension that makes YOSPOS not look terrible? I need to get my Bitcoin schadenfreude but would like to not go blind.

It didn't look like the extensions in the OP didn't really do any forum-specific styling.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Something just changed while I was browsing the forums.
The tiles on the newpage tab now have little bars with text above them.
What is happening, I'm afraid of change :ohdear:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a Chrome extension that makes YOSPOS not look terrible? I need to get my Bitcoin schadenfreude but would like to not go blind.

It didn't look like the extensions in the OP didn't really do any forum-specific styling.
While I personally don't recommend it, blocking http://forums.somethingawful.com/css/219.css removes the authentic and enjoyable experience of YOSPOS.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Uh. So I just received a verification code by SMS, without doing anything. I guess my phone provider simply had a glitch? :rolleyes: So, what should I do now? I downloaded the backup codes, but I don't have another phone, or a smartphone in general. I guess that's about it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

supermikhail posted:

Uh. So I just received a verification code by SMS, without doing anything. I guess my phone provider simply had a glitch? :rolleyes: So, what should I do now? I downloaded the backup codes, but I don't have another phone, or a smartphone in general. I guess that's about it.

Use the SMS code and hope it didn't time out. (Or poke the Google validator screen until it gives you a new one.)

Then reset two-factor (first so you don't lose the account again), change your password, and generate new backup codes.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Er. What do you mean by "reset two-factor", and how do I do it?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

supermikhail posted:

Er. What do you mean by "reset two-factor", and how do I do it?

Turn the thing off if you don't have a 2 factor authenticator app: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1064203?hl=en

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh. Er. I mean, why would I need new backup codes then?

Also, do those pages have to be so overwhelming? Half the time I have no idea if I'm using a thing they're giving me an option to turn on/off. (Although I may sometimes remember the term for some reason.)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

You'd need new backup codes since resetting two factor changes your backup codes (e.g. in case they fall into someone else's hands). That doc pretty much just states how to turn off two factor (it's pretty obvious if it's turned on) and how to revoke app passwords (which you need to generate if you are using any apps that require access to your account but don't allow you to login through the web interface e.g. outlook.)

Suggestion: Maybe try not using two-factor if you don't have a second factor and therefore have to rely on hacky workarounds to login to your accounts? Or maybe even buy a smartphone; they're pretty useful. Hell, even an iPod touch would work - they're pretty cheap at this point.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 5, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh. So I guess I don't have app passwords? I really only use Google through Chrome (if that's clear enough).

I thought backup codes were only used with 2-factor? I meant, if I cancel 2-factor I won't need backup codes, right?

I don't really get why SMS is an undesirable method. I doesn't say anything about that on Google's pages... Although I knew I'd have to catch up with the world sooner or later. :shrug:

Sorry if I appear to be ignoring or downplaying people's advice. All this is kind of stressful to me, and I just can't process stressful situations fast.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 6, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

supermikhail posted:

Oh. So I guess I don't have app passwords? I really only use Google through Chrome (if that's clear enough).

I thought backup codes were only used with 2-factor? I meant, if I cancel 2-factor I won't need backup codes, right?

I don't really get why SMS is an undesirable method. I doesn't say anything about that on Google's pages... Although I knew I'd have to catch up with the world sooner or later. :shrug:

Sorry if I appear to be ignoring or downplaying people's advice. All this is kind of stressful to me, and I just can't process stressful situations fast.

There's nothing inherently wrong with SMS or voice-mail authorization codes, but if you lose your phone again you'll need those backup codes, and if you did leave the old ones somewhere you don't want them to still work.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Er. So, is there some kind of consensus on the steps I should take, besides generate new backup codes?

Also, apparently Chrome itself requires an app password, which is rather confusing to me. How would it work at all without 2-factor auth? ... I guess with more privacy? :downs:

Also also, I didn't lose my phone. It was a real hickup somewhere between Goggle and the phone, I swear.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

supermikhail posted:

Er. So, is there some kind of consensus on the steps I should take, besides generate new backup codes?

Also, apparently Chrome itself requires an app password, which is rather confusing to me. How would it work at all without 2-factor auth? ... I guess with more privacy? :downs:

Also also, I didn't lose my phone. It was a real hickup somewhere between Goggle and the phone, I swear.

You don't need any backup copes if you've disabled two factor - sorry, I didn't know what you meant. Won't even give you the option to generate them if you disable it. Completely forgot about SMS as an option too; it's really up to you which you find more convenient I guess. I like SMS since it gets pushed straight to my phone and I don't even have to touch it to get the code, but there's the possibility that you'll be stuck somewhere without signal (never really happened to me) or that your phone will just not get the text for some reason (which happens like a fifth of the time I opt to use SMS auth). So yeah SMS is fine as long as you understand it's not as reliable and secure (since someone could just read the text).

e: question: Am I able to lock my chrome profile to prevent unwanted access? I stay signed in to all my accounts because I'm not a masochist with a fetish for login screens but when I have friends over I don't want them to have unfettered access to all my stuff. When the ugly-rear end profile switcher menu first got implemented there seemed to be a lock button which is gone from my version (beta 41). If I had this there might be a point to actually having that profile manager menu which is currently just sitting there taking up space. Have they moved the icon or in true google fashion just got rid of it entirely on a whim?

e2: Chromium bug reporter says that it was removed as it offered no real security as the lock boolean was stored in plaintext. Fine, but I just want a low barrier of entry to stop people futzing around with my accounts. Says that the option is re-enabled if you create a 'supervised user'. I tried it and it's not.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 6, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WHats the current hotness for auto-hd for youtube?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

kri kri posted:

WHats the current hotness for auto-hd for youtube?

I'm using ImprovedTube atm; doesn't seem to break anything and works with all the videos I've tried.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm still using YouTube center. No complaints.

Well, there's one thing I would like... fix embeds that aren't set up correctly to have the full screen button. I'm looking at you, The Verge.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I use magic actions for youtube and refuse to use anything else because mousewheel volume control is lord.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Generic Monk posted:

Suggestion: Maybe try not using two-factor if you don't have a second factor and therefore have to rely on hacky workarounds to login to your accounts? Or maybe even buy a smartphone; they're pretty useful. Hell, even an iPod touch would work - they're pretty cheap at this point.

Yeah honestly I don't think you want to go activating two-factor if you don't really know what it is or how it works, seems like a good way to get yourself securely locked out of your account forever

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, now I know. I mean, Google probably thought they were giving me enough information when they offered the thing, but after this hiccup thing I feel like I'm maybe among the journeymen. (But I'm ready and willing for advanced training!)

Generic Monk posted:

I'm using ImprovedTube atm; doesn't seem to break anything and works with all the videos I've tried.

I added this. I'm actually among the (insignificant) group of people who would prefer the low quality option by default, and this extension is very useful. The only annoyance is that it doesn't automatically start a video upon opening and I haven't seen any options for that. But I'm guessing it's only my being unused to it that's the problem. After all, if I open a video in a new tab it's better for it to wait until I switch to the tab... And perhaps giving the rest of the page time to load makes sense, too.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Is there any way to get the omnibar to be as good at digging through your history as Firefox's Awesome bar is without installing fauxbar?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

supermikhail posted:

Well, now I know. I mean, Google probably thought they were giving me enough information when they offered the thing, but after this hiccup thing I feel like I'm maybe among the journeymen. (But I'm ready and willing for advanced training!)

I added this. I'm actually among the (insignificant) group of people who would prefer the low quality option by default, and this extension is very useful. The only annoyance is that it doesn't automatically start a video upon opening and I haven't seen any options for that. But I'm guessing it's only my being unused to it that's the problem. After all, if I open a video in a new tab it's better for it to wait until I switch to the tab... And perhaps giving the rest of the page time to load makes sense, too.

Left click on the extension icon and you can set options there.

Also thanks for the recommendation I like that extension.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

MohShuvuu posted:

Is there any way to get the omnibar to be as good at digging through your history as Firefox's Awesome bar is without installing fauxbar?

This is the only thing I miss about Firefox. That drat awesome bar was a mind reader

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MohShuvuu posted:

No it's poo poo by design. You're better off searching the entire internet than your history, you'll find what you're looking for quicker

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

baka kaba posted:

No it's poo poo by design. You're better off searching the entire internet than your history, you'll find what you're looking for quicker

My favorite thing is that partial words will often bring up the latest/most relevant site in your history that starts with that partial word, but if you complete the word it'll nuke the sane results and replace most if not all of them with the most popular google searches for that word.

Does that seem completely bass-ackwards to anyone else? I'm a fairly quick typist and I have to stop myself from typing a word in full if I want to get sane autocomplete.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
The awesome bar is really the only thing I miss about Firefox. It's just a pain in the rear end when I want to open a new tab and Google something real quick, but fauxbar defaults the first choice on the list when you hit enter, rather than doing a regular search because it has a google bar on the side that's only used for searching and is kind of annoying to get used to.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Assuming I have more than one window open, and I click a link in an external application, what's chrome's logic behind which window the link will open in?* Often, I'll click links in Slack or whatever, and it'll always send it to a specific window — I can't for the life of me understand how it determines the choice. It's nothing like last window focused (which I guess might be an OS-level abstraction that chrome isn't privy to), but it's not something logical like last window created either. Anybody in here with this knowledge? Thanks.

*Side note, on OSX

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I also use Slack on OSX, and have found it to be the last Chrome window focused. If I'm just imagining that, I also use multiple profiles in Chrome, and it definitely opens in a window from the same profile as the window that was last focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Guy Axlerod posted:

I also use Slack on OSX, and have found it to be the last Chrome window focused. If I'm just imagining that, I also use multiple profiles in Chrome, and it definitely opens in a window from the same profile as the window that was last focused.

Thanks, I think the profiles might have been what's screwing me up.