Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Your Robinhood Invite

Stop paying up to $10 every time you trade. Your $0 commission Robinhood invitation is ready!

Claim your invite

If you are unable to follow this link, go to robinhood.com/signup and enter your unique invite code: redacted

In order to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to open a Robinhood account in a timely manner, your invite for early access expires in 72 hours. If you do not claim your invite within 72 hours you will be moved to the end of the waitlist with over 500,000 people.

If you have any questions, you can reach us at support@robinhood.com.

Sincerely,
The Robinhood Team
robinhood.com

P.S. This invitation is for you only; it cannot be sold, gifted, or otherwise transferred to another person.
Feel free to take this invite anyone. Not sure if it's worth anything but I don't have IOS anything so I can't signup.

e: let me know if you take it so I can delete the signup code from this.

e2: taken!

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Feel free to take this invite anyone. Not sure if it's worth anything but I don't have IOS anything so I can't signup.

e: let me know if you take it so I can delete the signup code from this.

I snagged it. Thanks!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here's another one I just got at another email address for some reason:

Your Robinhood Invite

Stop paying up to $10 every time you trade. Your $0 commission Robinhood invitation is ready!

Claim your invite

If you are unable to follow this link, go to robinhood.com/signup and enter your unique invite code: WXDU92DT.

In order to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to open a Robinhood account in a timely manner, your invite for early access expires in 72 hours. If you do not claim your invite within 72 hours you will be moved to the end of the waitlist with over 500,000 people.

If you have any questions, you can reach us at support@robinhood.com.

Sincerely,
The Robinhood Team
robinhood.com

P.S. This invitation is for you only; it cannot be sold, gifted, or otherwise transferred to another person.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I grabbed it! Thanks

We'll see if it works considering the "non-transferable" language. I set up an account and funded it but the application is still pending and since my email was sitting in the waiting list, I wouldn't be surprised if they kick me.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 6, 2015

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It's not sexy, but after losing about 7% between market closing yesterday and opening today, ATVI's going to end up a little bit overall.

Making a little bit of money feels really good when you start off feeling like you were looking at a solid loss.

v Fair enough, I shouldn't have said going to end up, but still a much better outlook than it was after the initial tumble.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 6, 2015

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That AH dive was complete bullshit but I am not counting on ATVI being green at the end of today.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Broccoli Cat posted:

TDAmeritrade master race checking in...although I've had it since the account was with Datek and I'm simply too lazy to mess with it.

Me too. In ~1999, Datek had the cheapest rates for online trading. I've made fewer than one trade a year since ~2006, so I haven't bothered to switch to anything that is cheaper for more active trading.

DNova posted:

I tend to assume that people in this thread are making more than 2 trades a month.

Probably most of the regular posters are, but maybe there's also some folks like myself, who are here to listen, learn, occasionally provide a perspective, but not actively trade (yet). For myself, I would like to be trading, but spare money beyond what I'm putting into retirement savings and leisure is going into a backlog of deferred maintenance on my house, for at least the next year or two. My goal is to be more prepared to dip my toes into the market in a couple of years, although this is a pretty lazy and low-effort way of getting that preparation.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

v Fair enough, I shouldn't have said going to end up, but still a much better outlook than it was after the initial tumble.

I'm with you. I was never going to drop out of it during that dip and I was also happy to see how quickly it perked up this morning. I still think it will be fine, just on a little longer timeframe than I was hoping for.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Considering rolling my gpro options that expire in 2 weeks to july. A fools errand?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like Yahoo has re-coupled with reality over the past week

That is reversed (so the >50% is the past 2 days, and the very right side of the x-axis is the IPO date).

Easy money gone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arkane posted:

That is reversed (so the >50% is the past 2 days, and the very right side of the x-axis is the IPO date).

Jesus christ why? Why is there a graph with the origin on the right and time moving to the left?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Because I copy pasted the share price data into a spreadsheet and spent 30 seconds making the graph in Google Docs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here, I have fixed it for you. It took like 20 seconds in MS Paint (select area, reverse selected area horizontally, click save).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you're gonna buy BAC, you better buy 666 of BAC is all I'm sayin'

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
CYNI climbing like crazy this week. Guessing people are expecting an earnings beat with their recent announcement of entry into NZ market. I picked up a bunch at 3.39

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
I think these idiot central bankers have lost control of the 'price stability' part of their mandate. Oil is bouncing around like a low float penny stock. Stocks indexes are up and down 3% a week now. Forex pairs are having a years worth of moves in a day. Even the vol in bond yields has become completely unhinged around the world. The SNB loses a large part of their GDP in a day unpegging and then decides to try and peg again a week later at a lower range; all while the Dutch come out with 3 rate cuts in a week which brings rates negative to the point of where you end up getting paid to take out a mortgage. Can't wait for the wheels to come completely off their little price fixing show as rates go to infinity while the stock market heads straight to 0 at precisely the same time. Probably when Greece tells Europe thanks for the memories and sticks them with the bill and causes everything to implode under the weight of all the unpayable debt. Perhaps then they can be forced out of the intervention game for good and things can finally start to improve. At least until then puts are still pretty cheap.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Jack posted:

I think these idiot central bankers have lost control of the 'price stability' part of their mandate.

Judging by the rest of your post I don't think you understand what the phrase means.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

pr0k posted:

I said attach, drat you

I blame their experimental foray into drone delivery, personally

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Arkane posted:

Don't mistake an undervalued stock going up for volatility. GM has a beta of 1, which means its about as volatile as the S&P 500 as a whole.

We've also had plenty of new information in the past couple of months which bolsters the case that the company is undervalued.

Beta is not a measure of volatility. GM is significantly more volatile than the S&P 500, which you can check, but should be obvious considering the latter is a fairly broad index.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
I guess Robinhood gives invite codes to you when you use them, so here are some for whoever wants one. Tell me which one you pick and I'll edit it away.

1 https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=C4B4HYMP
2 taken
3 https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=J9TKAHYH
4 taken
5 https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=G3YNFK5P
6 taken

Ynkling fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 9, 2015

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Finally! I took the 6th one. Thanks!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ynkling posted:

I guess Robinhood gives invite codes to you when you use them, so here are some for whoever wants one. Tell me which one you pick and I'll edit it away.

4 https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=J4NMDH3D

Taken. Thanks for the Generosity.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Ynkling posted:

2 https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=OJCR99MU

Thank you!

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

ANR...

every new exposure of the Global Warming situation brings us ever closer to the coal industry rising from the proverbial ashes

get the hell in, gents

edit: I made a meme for it

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Broccoli Cat fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 9, 2015

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Broccoli Cat posted:

ANR...

every new exposure of the Global Warming situation brings us ever closer to the coal industry rising from the proverbial ashes

get the hell in, gents

via Imgflip Meme Maker

This is fun, I'm waiting for my deposit to go through.

I find your meme intriguing. As I'm not to stocks, I don't know if you mean what you say or not...

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I've got a list of stocks I'm interested in. Is there a handy way to grab key statistics from them for somewhere? I'm not looking for powerful realtime stuff, more like wanting to see things like trade volume. I'd prefer not to do these one at a time, I'm wondering if there's a service (hopefully free) that will let me either look up a list and get certain key stats, or do some sort of mass csv download which I can throw in excel.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

OneWhoKnows posted:

I don't know if you mean what you say or not...

they said they same thing to Copernicus when he made his solar system meme

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Grifter posted:

I've got a list of stocks I'm interested in. Is there a handy way to grab key statistics from them for somewhere? I'm not looking for powerful realtime stuff, more like wanting to see things like trade volume. I'd prefer not to do these one at a time, I'm wondering if there's a service (hopefully free) that will let me either look up a list and get certain key stats, or do some sort of mass csv download which I can throw in excel.

Other than the platform through your broker, the easiest thing would probably be the googlefinance function in google spreadsheets:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ohgodwhat posted:

Beta is not a measure of volatility.

???

ohgodwhat posted:

GM is significantly more volatile than the S&P 500, which you can check, but should be obvious considering the latter is a fairly broad index.

Looking at a chart, it doesn't look that much more volatile than the S&P 500, which is why it doesn't have a high beta.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Kal Torak posted:

Other than the platform through your broker, the easiest thing would probably be the googlefinance function in google spreadsheets:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en
This looks perfect, thanks.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Broccoli Cat posted:

ANR...

get the hell in, gents

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Bear argument: Coal prices are down. Coal prices seem set to remain down. Coal mining companies are getting crushed by low prices. Coal mining companies are selling off their mines just to stay afloat. Bankruptcy seems imminent for many.

Bull argument: Some MIT guys think coal is pretty useful.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

Bull argument: Some MIT guys think coal is pretty useful.

you forgot dwindling coal surplus and colorful pie charts

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As coal prices remain depressed the power industry will continue with coal. As soon as prices start rising again due to all the mines shutting down the industry will just move away from coal due to the projected long term issues with it. Coal providers will continue making revenue for years to come but growth will reverse. Your throwing money at a failing industry in the hope of one last rebound.

I'd liken it to whale oil many years ago, it got hard to acquire and there were better options.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Let me tell you all about the next big thing in retail sales, a little known mall outlet known as Radio Shack...

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

As coal prices remain depressed the power industry will continue with coal. As soon as prices start rising again due to all the mines shutting down the industry will just move away from coal due to the projected long term issues with it. Coal providers will continue making revenue for years to come but growth will reverse. Your throwing money at a failing industry in the hope of one last rebound.

I'd liken it to whale oil many years ago, it got hard to acquire and there were better options.

There are no better options...that's the thing

and by "better" I mean chemically efficient

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Let me tell you all about the next big thing in retail sales, a little known mall outlet known as Radio Shack...

I'm stunned they lasted as long as they did. I guess that 2014 Superbowl ad was their last hurrah.

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm stunned they lasted as long as they did. I guess that 2014 Superbowl ad was their last hurrah.

Lol, isn't sprint buying their stores now.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Broccoli Cat posted:

There are no better options...that's the thing

and by "better" I mean chemically efficient

Haha what? Coal plants don't even come close to a natural gas cogen plant in efficiency. Coal generation is shutting down left and right and getting retrofitted to gas/oil dual fuel in droves. It may be 50% of the current mix but that pie piece is shrinking not growing. Hell, just look into NRG's plans going forward.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Arkane posted:

???

Looking at a chart, it doesn't look that much more volatile than the S&P 500, which is why it doesn't have a high beta.

You have two stocks, X and Y. x and y are the daily returns, and Y's daily returns follows: y = x + N(0, 1).

What is the beta of y with respect to x? ~1
What is the volatility of y? It will be larger than x's, and perhaps significantly so.

This is just a toy example obviously, but the equation given is essentially the situation you're claiming with beta 1, alpha ~ 0. What you're missing is the noise, which can lead to very different volatilities. Consider two products that are entirely uncorrelated. Does that mean 1 of them has 0 volatility? Which one?

Also, look at the implied vols for SPY options and GM options expiring on the same day, ~18% versus ~24%. Eyeballing volatility is kind of crazy... There should be a realized vol number somewhere for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Haha what? Coal plants don't even come close to a natural gas cogen plant in efficiency. Coal generation is shutting down left and right and getting retrofitted to gas/oil dual fuel in droves. It may be 50% of the current mix but that pie piece is shrinking not growing. Hell, just look into NRG's plans going forward.

yes, but you have to look at WHY this has been happening, and understand why it won't in the near future...