Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I've only played the tutorial and one full game but so far I think it's awesome.

I'm almost terrified to say this but I think I might end up preferring it to space alert. At least for some combinations of friends. Not sure yet if it has the longevity but whereas in space alert one mistake early on can bust the whole game (and that's fine, you play again because it's quick) xcom gives you a bit more slack while still remaining really challenging. The big thing which I expect would be a turn off for many is the push your luck element. Between that and the card draw I would think you might have some super unlucky sequences of events which could force a game loss relatively early. On the other hand you are given a lot of tools to mitigate and control the random elements, so I'd say it's only a real risk early in the game so probably ok to start over. This is based on pretty limited experience though, maybe not an actual problem. I'm fine with the push your luck stuff because as I said, you get a lot of ways to deal with it (abilities which let you reroll etc) and you can play conservatively or more reckless. What I really like about it relative to space alert is it gives the whole group a lot to do during the resolution phase, which some of my friends think is a weakness of space alert - the game itself is relatively short then there is a pile of effective bookkeeping to find out what happened.

I'm keen to hear more about what other people think too. But I had a great time and can't wait to play again. It's a tense game with some strategic as well as tactical elements as you have to make decisions on upgrades, resourcing, re supplies etc which all affect the timed rounds, which I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

jmzero posted:

Also, any thoughts on Concept? The premise sounds clear enough, but I can't really picture how it actually plays and whether that makes for a fun game. Thoughts?

It's a decent variant of charades. Not really a game, though - the scoring system is really dumb and seems thrown in just because "cardboard activity" isn't something one can sell.

It won't blow your mind or anything, but if you like charades you'll probably enjoy it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

And they definitely had it at your FLGS? Because last I heard it hadn't cleared customs yet

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Fungah! posted:

And they definitely had it at your FLGS? Because last I heard it hadn't cleared customs yet

Yeah, it was the new Anniversary Edition. This was in the Detroit area, not sure about other parts of the country. Perhaps there are other distributors importing and reselling copies from overseas?

Edit: They also had a fresh shipment of Dungeon Petz and Dark Alleys, as well as the aforementioned Bunny Bunny.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mega64 posted:

That's pretty much how I felt after I played it last week, though it looks like when I played we messed up the "you can only deliver a specific good once" rule (I think I prefer the broken rule in this case since you don't get screwed over if you get contracts/goods far apart). It ends up being a mediocre amalgamation of various other train games, except more fiddly and without as much strategy.

Yeah, Greg was saying how he had played it wrong twice, but almost kind of enjoyed it the wrong way.

Maybe next time I can convince someone to teach me that copy of Keyflower :)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How is Kemet for two?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Don't

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Elyv posted:

How is Kemet for two?

Not good at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Elyv posted:

How is Kemet for two?

Fungah! posted:

Not good at all.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So my friend shipped me his Super Dungeon Explore to try out and Fedex decided the box was perfect for just tossing around it seems. So now I have a bunch of busted models. A lot of them are simply gluing pieces back together as if they were fresh in box but some things, like the dragon's wings and a few Kolbold's spears. are snapped right of. Is there anyway I could fix the models? Like using glue or something to pieces them back together the best I can? I'd prefer not to end up using Green Stuff since it'll conflict on the unpainted minis colors

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Elyv posted:

How is Kemet for two?

To reiterate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUa3ft2nhyA

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Short answer: Don't

Long answer: Don't because it leads to one of you becoming so powerful so fast you roll right over the other and it's not a lot of fun. Play with 3+ or don't at all

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Kemet for two is a zero-sum game, and it's not balanced around that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Thanks guys, my housemate just got a copy a few days ago and I was wondering if it was reasonable to play it with just her. This thread is the best.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I don't know Kemet, but it might still be reasonable to play once or twice just to get a feel for the rules and mechanisms in action.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

rchandra posted:

I don't know Kemet, but it might still be reasonable to play once or twice just to get a feel for the rules and mechanisms in action.

This is always fair (I "solo" a lot of games for this purpose), so long as there's no expectation of it being fun or that it's actually representative of the flow of the game.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Played Splendor and what the hell? Why is this game so popular? You sit there silently doing arithmetic while everyone else does and the goal is to buy cards that do nothing but give you a discount to buy more cards. And there is no catch up mechanic so if one person gets a lucky break early, they probably just win.

It is utterly dry and is less thematic than Dominion.

Sooooo.... What gives? I can't remember playing a duller game. Nobody even said anything to one another!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

Played Splendor and what the hell? Why is this game so popular? You sit there silently doing arithmetic while everyone else does and the goal is to buy cards that do nothing but give you a discount to buy more cards. And there is no catch up mechanic so if one person gets a lucky break early, they probably just win.

Sooooo.... What gives? I can't remember playing a duller game. Nobody even said anything to one another!

I think Splendor pretty crap also for the same reasons.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed it the one time I played it and the chips felt nice to play with, I wouldn't actually buy it myself.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I didn't really like Splendor either. Mostly because I got hosed, admittedly. Every single time I bought or held something, the perfect thing for the next player came up. He ended up winning and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Never felt like there was anything I could do about it, much like center-row deckbuilders.

On the other hand, Roll for the Galaxy is even better the second time around. Everyone in my group that's tried it has really liked it and it's really growing on me. I think an expansion of just start tiles is all they really need to do. It probably wouldn't benefit from all the crap that Race added over the years.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I didn't really like Splendor either. Mostly because I got hosed, admittedly. Every single time I bought or held something, the perfect thing for the next player came up. He ended up winning and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Never felt like there was anything I could do about it, much like center-row deckbuilders.

On the other hand, Roll for the Galaxy is even better the second time around. Everyone in my group that's tried it has really liked it and it's really growing on me. I think an expansion of just start tiles is all they really need to do. It probably wouldn't benefit from all the crap that Race added over the years.

It definitely doesn't need stuff like prestige and takeovers or the orb. Goals would be kinda cool though. Or a new type of dice?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

burger time posted:

It definitely doesn't need stuff like prestige and takeovers or the orb. Goals would be kinda cool though. Or a new type of dice?

Goals would have to be fairly different. You don't really have the sprawling tableaus that Race ends up with. I won this most recent game with 7 or 8 tiles. Our first game's winner was at 9ish. I think it'd be hard to build towards them with how comparatively few tiles you see in a given game.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 7, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I would never have bought Splendor for full price, or even regular internet price, but I got it half off in December and am content to play it with a casual/beginner/family audience once in a while for that price. It does have some strategy involved, and some minor interaction in the sense that you can attempt to cut off your opponents from getting the colors they need with the reserve mechanic, but the above complaints are fairly valid all the same.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Jimbozig posted:

It's a case where the components lend a lot to the feel of the game. It's a simple game that people can get casuals to play. It won't hold up to heavy play but if you're in a group that sees a decent amount of new people pass through it's good to have. In my experience, silent mathing is pretty normal but we tend not to notice the silence because we're all too busy mathing.

Tonight I played the learning mission for the X-Wing Minis game and it's probably one of the most inherently silly games I've played. Between the two of us fumbling around in a blind chase, the dice giving so many misses, and my opponent not expecting me to be stupid enough to turn-fight a TIE Fighter it's a game filled with pleasant absurdity.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Played this last night for the second time. It's much better after you've played at least one game and kind of have an idea what to plan and where to go with the tiles. Won on the tie-break being who has the most dice in their cup at the end of the round. I could definitely see new sets of tiles and dice added in an expansion. I am going to buy it.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, Roll for the Galaxy is a lot of fun. Most of my games end with someone filling up all 12 spots on the table, since it's easy to get those spots and sometimes harder to get a good produce/consume engine going. Reassign powers are amazing, and the right 6-cost developments make a huge difference in scoring.

Also played Orleans for the first time today and holy poo poo is it fun. There's just so many things to do that it's amazing. I always felt like I had something productive to do and that I never had nearly enough actions to do it in. The replay value is definitely there too, with the randomized goods tiles providing different incentives for the different actions and buildings.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-xcom-board-game/

Even Quinns can't bring himself to gush about this. As many suspected, the game seems half-baked/undercooked, and the strongest recommendation he gives is 'if you really want to play an X-COM game, then you'll like it.'

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

The End posted:

Even Quinns can't bring himself to gush about this. As many suspected, the game seems half-baked/undercooked, and the strongest recommendation he gives is 'if you really want to play an X-COM game, then you'll like it.'

I've watched it being played on Thursday night and it's a very transparent game. It is, at it's heart, just a push-your-luck dice roller. Everything you do in the timed phase just modifies your chances when you roll. The lack of a paper manual would irritate me no end had I bought it, I hate having to scroll through PDFs on a tablet.

I've checked Facebook this morning to see a messege from a friend saying "Hey, I was thinking of backing Exploding Kittens! It looks really fun!"

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Goals would have to be fairly different. You don't really have the sprawling tableaus that Race ends up with. I won this most recent game with 7 or 8 tiles. Our first game's winner was at 9ish. I think it'd be hard to build towards them with how comparatively few tiles you see in a given game.

Interesting we've definitely had games end by 12 tiles. And had the winner have 12 as well. The ability to build multiple things per phase lets you do some crazy stuff.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zveroboy posted:

I've checked Facebook this morning to see a messege from a friend saying "Hey, I was thinking of backing Exploding Kittens! It looks really fun!"

I think non-boardgamers/newer boardgamers really focus on what their experience will be the first time they play ("it looks easy to learn!" "there will be fun and/or funny outcomes!") while more experienced players focus on what their experience will be on the 25th time they play ("I had never faced that combination before!" "I'm still seeing nuances in the strategy!").

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

It's very similar to Russian Roulette. You should advise him to try that first and see if he likes it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Gimnbo posted:

It's a case where the components lend a lot to the feel of the game. It's a simple game that people can get casuals to play. It won't hold up to heavy play but if you're in a group that sees a decent amount of new people pass through it's good to have. In my experience, silent mathing is pretty normal but we tend not to notice the silence because we're all too busy mathing.

Tonight I played the learning mission for the X-Wing Minis game and it's probably one of the most inherently silly games I've played. Between the two of us fumbling around in a blind chase, the dice giving so many misses, and my opponent not expecting me to be stupid enough to turn-fight a TIE Fighter it's a game filled with pleasant absurdity.

Yeah, going back a page, when Quinns describes a (non-party/non-bluffing/non-storytelling) game as 'hilarious' I think of X-Wing. The SU&SD video review is peak SU&SD and I immediately went out and bought a bunch of stuff.

E: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-x-wing/

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 7, 2015

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Can someone explain the draw of Mythotopia? We tried playing it last night, and it felt like the deck building aspect really just got in the way and slowed down the rest of the game. What am I missing?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The End posted:

Eh. This is the same game they gushed about after playing it at GenCon. I like the SUSD guys, but I've learned not to give their reviews too much weight.

I've played Xcom twice now, and it's okay. Definitely not going to replace Space Alert in my group, but it's not a bad game either. It's just that the number of decisions you have during the timed part are relatively limited ("do I spend money for an extra die to roll later?").

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

WhiteHowler posted:

Eh. This is the same game they gushed about after playing it at GenCon. I like the SUSD guys, but I've learned not to give their reviews too much weight.

I've played Xcom twice now, and it's okay. Definitely not going to replace Space Alert in my group, but it's not a bad game either. It's just that the number of decisions you have during the timed part are relatively limited ("do I spend money for an extra die to roll later?").

In fairness, his review picked that up. And given that the theme is bang on, either he's getting more discerning or the minigames are really awful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tarbrush posted:

In fairness, his review picked that up. And given that the theme is bang on, either he's getting more discerning or the minigames are really awful.
Or his tastes are completely arbitrary.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Poison Mushroom posted:

Or that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Or you know you can have one impression when playing a game once at a Con, and then have a different impression after trying it with a critical lens in the setting of writing a review. One would think he should actually be praised for being able to approach the review objectively, given his initial great impression.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It's also easier to like games you were given for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I guess the point I'm driving at is that I don't trust SU&SD to review beyond the scope of their own personal tastes any more.