Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I have no problem accepting that personally. Who knows how alien biology works.

Everything about the Evil sun thing in Fifth Element was deus ex machina as gently caress though. It was literally the plot as an entity in the movie.

Well, yeah. It was the plot. I basically see it as a sentient planet, and it has some kind of mating cycle where it finds another planet to convert into itself. But an ancient alien race found a weapon that could stop it when the time comes. The sentient planet was using Zorg to try to stop the weapon from being used before it advanced on Earth. When Zorg failed, it rushed to Earth as fast as it could, but didn't make it in time, and died and became another moon. I don't know if it's dues ex machina if it's the entire plot itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

IUG posted:

Well, yeah. It was the plot. I basically see it as a sentient planet, and it has some kind of mating cycle where it finds another planet to convert into itself. But an ancient alien race found a weapon that could stop it when the time comes. The sentient planet was using Zorg to try to stop the weapon from being used before it advanced on Earth. When Zorg failed, it rushed to Earth as fast as it could, but didn't make it in time, and died and became another moon. I don't know if it's dues ex machina if it's the entire plot itself.

Yeah but that planet is called Mr. Shadow and that is a stupid name for anyone. If it could sped up at will, why not start at maximum speed?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It demonstrates it can make people bleed at will. Why not just kill everybody on Earth and then be done with it? (Assuming he can't just GO there already for some stupid reason)

Was it because Zorg was talking to him on the phone? So like, he could just call the President up and bleed his head out?

Why the hell would you even hire Zorg if you're an omnipotent evil-planet-thing? Why not kill them yourself, so you don't risk failure? How did he even know about Zorg? He can read people's minds from across space but he can't travel there yet or kill them remotely?

Whatever, at least that movie rocks.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The big evil planet was being sneaky, which is a really impressive feat for something as big as a celestial body.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The planet produced a ton of radio waves so to make a call. I guess he could magic it to make Zorg bleed from his plastic hair or...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I have no problem accepting that personally. Who knows how alien biology works.

Everything about the Evil sun thing in Fifth Element was deus ex machina as gently caress though. It was literally the plot as an entity in the movie.

On paper, nothing about Fifth Element should work, and yet it does. And it's amazing.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

The planet produced a ton of radio waves so to make a call. I guess he could magic it to make Zorg bleed from his plastic hair or...

Some existential threats call for curling up into a ball, other call for pissing your pants, but Zorg kept his composure and merely began to sweat barbecue sauce.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I never liked fifth element and people are always aghast when i say it

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Just some possible thoughts, not trying to defend the movie (it's campy fun, what's to defend?), just thinking.

Zaphod42 posted:

It demonstrates it can make people bleed at will. Why not just kill everybody on Earth and then be done with it? (Assuming he can't just GO there already for some stupid reason)

Was it because Zorg was talking to him on the phone? So like, he could just call the President up and bleed his head out?
The only other person he made bleed like that was really close to him, meaning he probably has to have some kind of spatial proximity. The phone thing probably created enough of a connection for The Evil Thing to channel that power through, so yeah, it probably could have called the entire human (and meat popsicle) race and bled them out that way if it had thought about it.

quote:

Why the hell would you even hire Zorg if you're an omnipotent evil-planet-thing? Why not kill them yourself, so you don't risk failure? How did he even know about Zorg? He can read people's minds from across space but he can't travel there yet or kill them remotely?
This one never really does get answered, and it does leave one huge hole in the plot - if "Mr. Shadow" had to eat satellites to contact Zorg when it got closer to Earth, how did they ever come to the original deal that Zorg modified when he got the call? It does seem to be implied that Zorg has no loving idea exactly what he's dealing with or what its intent is, since he's asking an evil planet-sun for more money, so maybe the contact was indirect. For all I know, there's a cult like the Mondoshawan religion that actually hired Zorg, but of course that's left entirely out of the movie despite being a huge part of the premise.

As for why Mr. Shadow didn't just do it all himself, I'm guessing the Mondoshawan made the Elements in some way that The Evil couldn't harm them directly - hence hiring Zorg, who hired the Mangalore. But that's just a guess.

quote:

Whatever, at least that movie rocks.
Agreed. :hfive:

One thing that always tweaked my nerves, though, was how poorly done some of the practical effects were. When Leeloo punches her way out of the tube, you can see the outline of the breakable bit clear as day before she breaks it. Plava Laguna's head is fairly obviously an inflated rubber tube, with wrinkles from where it bends, and her "skin" is pretty obviously rubber when Corben starts digging inside her for the stones - and forget whether or not they'd have interfered with her alien organs, how did they get in there in the first place?

Oh, and gently caress the broadcast showings - they cut off the end of Ruby's intro speech, the bit where Corben holds Ruby up against the wall by his neck, and as far as I'm concerned the best line in the movie - "I don't want one position! I want ALL POSITIONS!"

oldpainless posted:

You monster.
(Nah, I can totally understand why some people don't like it.)

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The movie is just really really well put together. If it were any less campy, shot and arranged with any less love and care, it would be another forgettable sci-fi movie with a stupid premise.

Leeloo learning all about war through her encyclopedia on the way back to Earth was kind of hilarious though, there's a lot of bad poo poo that can wreck your sheltered outlook on life that start with letters A through V but I guess she just breezed past all of that no problem.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It's a movie riding entirely on its art direction and the actors' performances.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Under the vegetable posted:

Suddenly the "The Star Wars for the 90's" tagline makes perfect sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, the art direction is amazing and the actors' performances are pretty good!

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
It is truly the most beautiful movie, and I can see why Sony chose it for Superbit, and why people clamored for a proper remastering for Blu-Ray. Between that and Lèon, I will give anything Luc Besson has a hand in a chance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tweet Me Balls posted:

The movie is just really really well put together. If it were any less campy, shot and arranged with any less love and care, it would be another forgettable sci-fi movie with a stupid premise.

Leeloo learning all about war through her encyclopedia on the way back to Earth was kind of hilarious though, there's a lot of bad poo poo that can wreck your sheltered outlook on life that start with letters A through V but I guess she just breezed past all of that no problem.

Just imagine the language is actually Abkhaz, аибашьра is much earlier in a dictionary :shepface:

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

kizudarake posted:

It is truly the most beautiful movie, and I can see why Sony chose it for Superbit, and why people clamored for a proper remastering for Blu-Ray. Between that and Lèon, I will give anything Luc Besson has a hand in a chance.

I used to very much feel this way, but over the years, it's become apparent (and irritating) to me that Besson can only write one lead female character into his every film and she's always a variation on a theme. Sexy but tough but vulnerable. Lucy was just the most obvious example of his inability to have more than one woman in his film.

(Yes, I'm aware there were a couple of female bit - parts. That's kind of the problem. Every agent, every scientist, everyone actively involved in the plot except Lucy was a man.)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tweet Me Balls posted:

It does always amuse me that the first thing she sees when she clicks on War is an Atomic bomb :v:

Did she also never look up Battle? Conflict? Genocide? There's a humans-are-nasty word in practically every letter of the English language.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hahahaha, holy poo poo, I had no idea "motion comics" were so hilarious:

It's like something out of SeaLab 2021.

Tiy should check out the 1960's Marvel ones. I think they're on YouTube.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

BiggerBoat posted:

Tiy should check out the 1960's Marvel ones. I think they're on YouTube.

The secret of my avatar reveals itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7cz-ZF3hI

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oldpainless posted:

Its funny, when I was a kid and I first saw it I thought it was kinda over-produced and overall kinda mixed. I wasn't really that into it.

But now I love it. Its probably just because we don't have enough big-budget sci-fi and I have to appreciate whatever I can get :smith:

Some of the concepts and designs are absolutely brilliant, though.

I heard that they based a lot of it on Mobius' artwork and comics? That would make sense. Everything about the floating noodle vendor and the flying cars and stuff feels like his style.

Yeah exactly this. The concept art is amazing, and Bruce Willis gives one of his better performances and its probably Milla Jovovich's best movie.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

and forget whether or not they'd have interfered with her alien organs, how did they get in there in the first place?

I agree with all the other stuff you said. As to this one, surgery? Is that so weird? :shrug: Plus if she's an alien with alien physiology, maybe she could just like unhinge her jaw and swallow them all like a snake or something. Who the gently caress knows, alien biology. But I always assumed they were surgically implanted to keep them super secret.

Bad Roy posted:

I used to very much feel this way, but over the years, it's become apparent (and irritating) to me that Besson can only write one lead female character into his every film and she's always a variation on a theme. Sexy but tough but vulnerable. Lucy was just the most obvious example of his inability to have more than one woman in his film.

(Yes, I'm aware there were a couple of female bit - parts. That's kind of the problem. Every agent, every scientist, everyone actively involved in the plot except Lucy was a man.)

To be fair though all of Hollywood kinda has this problem. Joss Whedon is lauded for his female characters but you could describe them all as "sexy but tough but vulnerable" too.

Variety and subtlety is not something that Hollywood does very well. :smith: Instead we get stereotypes and cliches.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Feb 6, 2015

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Zaphod42 posted:

I heard that they based a lot of it on Mobius' artwork and comics? That would make sense. Everything about the floating noodle vendor and the flying cars and stuff feels like his style.

Moebius himself had at least some hand in the art direction, contributing to storyboards and such. And apparently some of it was directly inspired by his collaboration with Jodorowsky called The Incal, which is beautiful but loving bonkers and I've been trying to make my way through it lately and really enjoying such a frustrating experience. Apparently the editor of the comic book even sued Luc Besson over the similarities, but Jodorowsky was totes cool with it because he's awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gatekeeper posted:

Moebius himself had at least some hand in the art direction, contributing to storyboards and such. And apparently some of it was directly inspired by his collaboration with Jodorowsky called The Incal, which is beautiful but loving bonkers and I've been trying to make my way through it lately and really enjoying such a frustrating experience. Apparently the editor of the comic book even sued Luc Besson over the similarities, but Jodorowsky was totes cool with it because he's awesome.

Yeah The Incal was literally what I was thinking of

The police look like crash test dummies, but otherwise its the same.

There's a part where the police pull up alongside the main characters and they have a flying-car to flying-car shootout, and its pretty similar to the opening scene where Corbin Dallas gets his Taxi pulled over by a flying cop car.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tweet Me Balls posted:

"I'm cool with conflicts, skirmishes, holocausts, apocalypses, fights, battles, and invasions, but war is bad."

Also I never read Plavalaguna as an alien, I thought she was just a deeply modified human. That explained for me both how fake looking her stomach was and how easy it was for her to have a guts-based storage compartment. Do they call her an alien in the movie? I haven't seen it in forever.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Feb 6, 2015

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Ah guys, im pretty sure Zorg was just sweating a lot which made his hair treatment stuff run down his face. I dont think it was meant to be actual blood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

theironjef posted:

"I'm cool with conflicts, skirmishes, holocausts, apocalypses, fights, battles, and invasions, but war is bad."

Also I never read Plavalaguna as an alien, I thought she was just a deeply modified human. That explained for me both how fake looking her stomach was and how easy it was for her to have a guts-based storage compartment. Do they call her an alien in the movie? I haven't seen it in forever.

This is actually a major movie pet peeve of mine: Acting like Humans are unique in their sin / evil.

In The 5th element, she's shocked reading the Human encyclopedia about war. Okay, sure, we did some bad poo poo. We had a holocaust. Yeah. That's pretty awful.

But... what about the apparent star war going on? There's all these mercenaries that Zorg hires to fly spaceships around shooting people up. Do those guys just live peacefully until the Humans come along and hire them for warfare? No loving way. There's no way all these species evolved out in space and met each other and never had war or conflict. It makes no sense.

Shouldn't she have already known about war? They had to make the 5 elements, meaning they already know about Mr.Shadow... are they suggesting that for all the galactic-evil that Mr.Shadow represents, he wouldn't stoop so low as to cause a holocaust? Leloo literally only exists in order to stop galactic warfare, and she's shocked to find out that humans fight each other on a planetary scale?

I can accept that the Mondoshawans are like super peaceful because they're pretty chill dudes and they've got that whole enlightenment and "time not important, only life important" thing...

Actually no, lets bring that up for a second.

The opening sequence of 5th element is good for giving you some sci-fi "what the hell is going on" plot, but it really makes no sense even after the movie is over. The Mondoshawans are like super powerful alien beings who have been protecting life across several planets from the Mr.Shadow evil-planet-entity-sun-thing for eternity, okay I'm with you. They build a secret temple on Earth to hide the 5 elements that can hold back Mr.Shadow. Okay, why wouldn't they build it on the Mondoshawan homeworld? I guess that's the first place Mr.Shadow would look? Okay, still going to buy this, even though its kinda weird. I'm cool with it.

But then these visiting Mondoshawans, who are in a building they themselves built, get caught in their own boobytrap and squished? "Time not important, only life important". WHAT ABOUT YOUR OWN loving LIFE? The poor priest is like "you fat tubby bastards, RUN! You can make it!" and the Mondoshawan is just like "Sorry dude we're too fat, we should probably have programmed an abort sequence into this temple, oh well I'm gonna die here take this key, I trust you with THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN TH UNIVERSE and I'm just going to go ahead and die here rather than help you protect the universe." :rolleyes:

But getting back to my first point, so many movies act like Humans are inherently evil and we are unique in this. But that's total bullshit. Basic animal psychology and biology shows that we're really no different.

Humans aren't assholes because something inherent to Humanity is dickishness. Humans are assholes because we grow up in an environment of struggle and conflict and scarce resources. Unless aliens come from the planet Utopia where food and energy are infinite and free, they would go to war with each other too.

Animals rape. Animals murder. It totally happens. Groups of chimps or gorillas will kill each other, not over food or survival but because of social reasons. Its not some unique flaw of Humanity. That's just life! Its inherent to all life.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Animals rape. Animals murder. It totally happens. Groups of chimps or gorillas will kill each other, not over food or survival but because of social reasons. Its not some unique flaw of Humanity. That's just life! Its inherent to all life.

Man, that's always been my complaint with the band Omnia, despite actually liking their music.

Related: When Native Americans get treated as perfect peaceful utopian people perfectly in tune with nature before white people hosed it all up. I mean, white people totally hosed things up, but idealizing Native American society before that is just condescending and wrong.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I don't think Leeloo is especially judgemental of humans, she's just this perfect, naive, newborn, creature. who's learning about all this poo poo. I mean clearly, the creators of the movie are making some slight point about man's inhumanity to man or whatever, but it's just allegory man, there is no need to be upset.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I don't think Leeloo is especially judgemental of humans, she's just this perfect, naive, newborn, creature. who's learning about all this poo poo. I mean clearly, the creators of the movie are making some slight point about man's inhumanity to man or whatever, but it's just allegory man, there is no need to be upset.

Like I said, its just a pet peeve of mine. Its silly.

What about the Monodoshawan dying in the opening? Did that seem weird to anybody else?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I find weird about that bit is the one guy gets crushed in the door but when they open it back up later there's no trace of him.

Nutsngum posted:

Ah guys, im pretty sure Zorg was just sweating a lot which made his hair treatment stuff run down his face. I dont think it was meant to be actual blood.

Except the same thing happens to the general dude when they try to blow up the evil planet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I find weird about that bit is the one guy gets crushed in the door but when they open it back up later there's no trace of him.

They're biodegradable.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

What about the Monodoshawan dying in the opening? Did that seem weird to anybody else?

Yeah that was pretty dumb. But somehow I just can't judge T5E by the same standards as other movies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Except the same thing happens to the general dude when they try to blow up the evil planet.

Chances are he was probably completely unharmed on account of that huge armor. The rest of them just waited for the priest to bugger off and then came back down to get him out, giggling the whole time over the look on his face.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah that was pretty dumb. But somehow I just can't judge T5E by the same standards as other movies.

Nah for all its flaws its still totally :krad:

Maybe even because of them, I don't know. It has this magic 90s attitude.

Perestroika posted:

Chances are he was probably completely unharmed on account of that huge armor. The rest of them just waited for the priest to bugger off and then came back down to get him out, giggling the whole time over the look on his face.

:lol:

Peace out Humans! Good luck with Mr.Shadow, we're going to go get drunk.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zaphod42 posted:

But... what about the apparent star war going on? There's all these mercenaries that Zorg hires to fly spaceships around shooting people up. Do those guys just live peacefully until the Humans come along and hire them for warfare? No loving way. There's no way all these species evolved out in space and met each other and never had war or conflict. It makes no sense.

Some of the dialogue in the movie implies that humans and Mangalores got into a fight that humanity won pretty decisively, scattering the proud warrior dudes to the wind.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Saw 'Jupiter Ascending' last night. It basically has the same problems as 'The Phantom Menace' minus Jar Jar. A friend summarized it as 'Spaceballs without the jokes' and they're totally right, right down to the Mog. It's worse than bad, it's boring.

However, one particular moment stood out to me.

At the end, when Barf is plunging into the great storm of the planet Jupiter to rescue the walking MacGuffin that is the character named Jupiter during her confrontation with the baddie who owns the universe but apparently not any chapstick, all of a sudden it's announced that the shields are failing that keep Spaceball City from being destroyed by the storm. My question is: why? Why are the shields failing at right that moment?

Also

It's one of those movies where the "resolution" is that [pretty much] everything gets reset back to the way it was at the start of the movie. So why the gently caress did I sit here for [what felt like] three hours? Oh, she has a boyfriend now? Does he even have a human penis, or is it just red rocket?

Also also wik

Why does the machine that renders people into the spice from Dune need to look like the probulator from Futurama?

Imagined has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Feb 6, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nutsngum posted:

Yeah, if you've ever seen henna dye you know what it is.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jedit posted:

Yeah, if you've ever seen henna dye you know what it is.

It's not blood, it's generic evil dark influence stuff. It's also not just Zorg, the military dude at the start of the film has it happen to him too.

I watched Mindhunters a few days ago and anyone that gets angry at people doing dumb things in movies would probably have an aneurysm at the very first time someone dies in that movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Uhhhhh I knew I wasn't going into the sharpest film with Non-Stop but :lol: at the bad guy's motive. I MUST PREVENT FUTURE TERRORIST ATTACKS BY COMMITTING A TERRORIST ATTACK. PLANES FULL OF INNOCENTS WILL DIE IF I DON'T KILL THIS PLANE FULL OF INNOCENTS. Like shiiiit, if you really think security is that flawed then why not just wait for the next actual terrorist attack you think is inevitable to just happen and expose the need for better security. I guess you could say he was just crazy, and there was the whole "I must expose the competence of this marshal!!!" but the whole reveal made me guffaw the instant it was revealed.

I like how the other guy was apparently just in it for the money, but apparently his crazy partner saw their deaths as inevitable (even though they're not really necessary for the plan to work?).

Wait now that I think about it, why the gently caress did the crazy guy even help Liam Neeson against the passengers in the first place?! Your goal is achieved, the plane is going to blow with everyone thinking Liam Neeson was responsible...and you had no need to further build credibility with him. It's not like you needed your hands untied for your suicide plan to succeed. Just let them overpower him without giving his story a second chance!

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 03:57 on Feb 7, 2015

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Big Hero 6,the super white girl with the chemical bomb things is the only character in the entire movie to pronounce "Hiro" with a weird Japanese accent so it sounds like "Hido." I know the movie is supposed to take place in Japanamerica, but she is literally the only person who says it like that, not even his mom does.

Edit: edited out spoilers cause who cares.

Jaramin has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Jaramin posted:

Big Hero 6, the super white girl with the chemical bomb things is the only character in the entire movie to pronounce "Hiro" with a weird Japanese accent so it sounds like "Hido." I know the movie is supposed to take place in Japanamerica, but she is literally the only person who says it like that, not even his mom does.
Isn't she hispanic? I think it's supposed to just be her accent.