Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

rebounded posted:

Shot in the dark, but does anyone know how to get involved with The Generator in Reno?

Wife and I are new to Reno, and probably wouldn't make a burn, but she's one mean artist and I am relatively handy. Especially with electrical. Looking for a big project to join.

Welcome to Reno! :)
Just go to the Generator, say you're new in town and that you're looking to join projects. Share what you're good at, share what you want to learn... and you'll probably figure it out from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Ticket season is rapidly approaching.

Anyone getting hyped?

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
On that note good luck to everyone in the directed sale :dance:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Tickets aquired! According to TicketFly, "Tickets are scheduled to be sent on Wed, June 17, 2015"

:toot:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

Tickets aquired! According to TicketFly, "Tickets are scheduled to be sent on Wed, June 17, 2015"

:toot:

Presale? Wasnt that last month

e: ah "Directed Group Sale"

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah, theme camp bb :c00lbert:
Though HomeBrauHaus will be considerably downsizing, since it was a poo poo lot of work 3 years in a row. We'll probably do an open bar once or twice only during the week, and instead put effort towards doing an art car or helping with other projects from Reno... or something.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm kind of on the fence this year, given that what I'm reading says they're cutting the vehicle passes back further to 27k and I'm not sure I want to drive 1700 miles each way this time. :P

Anyone had any experience with the Burner Express? It'd cost me about the same to fly into Reno as to drive out and back, assuming gas stays under $3...

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Ive never taken the burner express, but my friends sing its praises to the high heavens

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!

Liquid Communism posted:

Anyone had any experience with the Burner Express? It'd cost me about the same to fly into Reno as to drive out and back, assuming gas stays under $3...

I took it last year from Reno and it was awesome. It was my first burn, and I got to meet some pretty cool people on the bus. We got to skip all the lines going into and coming out of BRC, but obviously still got stuck in traffic on the roads. My only issue (and this is pretty much unavoidable) is that they turn the air conditioning while on the sand, so you're pretty much baking and sweating inside a hot sticky smelly box with about 60 other people for about 45 minutes. You won't have access to your luggage while you're going there (you can bring a backpack with you in the bus cabin), so be sure to pack lots of water and some snacks. Overall though, it was a highly positive experience that I would not hesitate to repeat again.

Protip: Pack your dust mask and goggles in your backpack that you have with you in the bus. You don't wanna be searching through your luggage for these items when the playa greets you with your very first dust storm!

QuantumDeep fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2015

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Invite secured :smug:

Also, will be in Miami for love burn next week. It's only the second year but a burn on the beach? Hell yeah!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

QuantumDeep posted:

I took it last year from Reno and it was awesome. It was my first burn, and I got to meet some pretty cool people on the bus. We got to skip all the lines going into and coming out of BRC, but obviously still got stuck in traffic on the roads. My only issue (and this is pretty much unavoidable) is that they turn the air conditioning while on the sand, so you're pretty much baking and sweating inside a hot sticky smelly box with about 60 other people for about 45 minutes. You won't have access to your luggage while you're going there (you can bring a backpack with you in the bus cabin), so be sure to pack lots of water and some snacks. Overall though, it was a highly positive experience that I would not hesitate to repeat again.

Protip: Pack your dust mask and goggles in your backpack that you have with you in the bus. You don't wanna be searching through your luggage for these items when the playa greets you with your very first dust storm!

Sounds lovely. My biggest concern is packing in enough water to last me the week. That and sleeping arrangements. I usually hammock it, and I can't see a good way to get sufficiently sturdy materials into a package that'll fly. :P

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Ticket secured through gate, but it looks like this will be my first year in five where I might not be able to make it... debating whether I want to go for early entry through midweek, or do event week only... Bleh. New jobs suck.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
How viable is it for me to go to Burning Man solo for my first time and I don't even have a ticket or even a backpack yet.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

goodness posted:

How viable is it for me to go to Burning Man solo for my first time and I don't even have a ticket or even a backpack yet.

Seeing as how it is at the end of August, yes.

Tickets haven't even gone on sale for non-recurring theme camp or stupid rich people yet.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

mitztronic posted:

Seeing as how it is at the end of August, yes.

Tickets haven't even gone on sale for non-recurring theme camp or stupid rich people yet.

I know it's a long way away but I've heard Burning Man takes the planning of all planning and knowing a group that is already going.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

goodness posted:

the planning of all planning
Well its not scaling Everest, but yeah more or less.

Jun 15, 2003

Delicious soda

goodness posted:

As long as you have the money to spend on the gear, transportation, and food you'll need, you'll be fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

goodness posted:

I know it's a long way away but I've heard Burning Man takes the planning of all planning and knowing a group that is already going.

Nah, you can solo it. I did, my first time out. It was fun, but a little scary. It's a lot -cheaper- if you can run with a group because it costs about as much to do stuff like shade and shelter for one person as for 2-3, and splitting gas costs is a godsend when you're driving to the literal middle of nowhere.

If you hit up Eplaya there are some theme camps looking for people as well, but I honestly think that everyone should do at least one year solo so that they can show up without any real set plans for how their burn is going to go.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
For EU goons, regional burn without a burn Nowhere (which was bloody great last year) has almost sold out so if you've got €150 to spare and aren't doing anything in July, grab your tickets now - http://www.goingnowhere.org/

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Ticket registration site seems to be hugged to death

this does not bode well for ticket sales

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

BlueBayou posted:

this does not bode well for ticket sales

Different provider. Ticketfly is set up to handle high volume, the burner website, haha, no

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

goodness posted:

Totally doable but it will be an incredibly stressful experience. Absolutely get a bike, bring it from home or buy/rent from the indians. I can't stress the importance of personal transportation enough, the place is much bigger and sparse than you think. Also, winter clothes and a winter sleeping bag, because the nights are incredibly cold: I had a polar fleece coat, long-sleeved thermal undershirt and underwear, heavy cotton thigh-high socks, and I was still shivering

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

Anyone here going to Apogaea (Colorado regional)?

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Did anyone here go to(and survive) Frostburn this year? It was my first time and it was pretty intense, strong winds that destroyed many tents, including ours, whiteout conditions, and a low of -5 not including wind chill.

Trudging through thick snow, icy winds cutting into you anywhere it can, you can just barely make out the yurt in front of you through the blinding snow, you walk up to it and force the door open using all of your strength. The wind slams it shut behind you and you hear the familiar sound of Bangarang and you realized you just found a rave in a blizzard. Welcome home.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
It turns out the ticket sale is 12 noon PST (not eastern like I thought) and they don't accept Amex. This dumb goon almost screwed up buying his ticket. Hopefully this info helps another goon who is just as dumb.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Tickets in less than 3 hours!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
well this is totally hosed

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
line paused :confused:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Im an idiot for waiting for the green button.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

BlueBayou posted:

Im an idiot for waiting for the green button.

One of my friends looked at the code and it only refreshed the button every 30,000 miliseconds (30 seconds), then warned us all not to wait.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009
gently caress, tickets sold out. It took a couple of minutes for me to get into the site, guess I was too late.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
wtf. I clicked right at 3pm est, waited in line and it says they're all sold out. How is that possible? Did anyone else manage to get tickets?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Darryl Lict posted:

gently caress, tickets sold out. It took a couple of minutes for me to get into the site, guess I was too late.

I was in <3 seconds after it opened and didn't get tickets. My fiancee got tickets, although we were hoping to get 4 total to help our 2 virgin friends to come. Not having a ticket really psychologically sets people back from planning to go, so I hope the both still plan to come!

e: e

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 18, 2015

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
it wasn't nearly this bad last year. something doesn't seem right...

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.
Yeah, I logged in right at 12 last year and got in after 20 minutes. This year it pauses, sets me back to over and hour, than I don't get in after hour and half. Totally hosed

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Not sure how much truth there is to this but a girl from my camp said that once you got to the point of purchase you could login with different ticketfly accounts and make purchases for each of those accounts. So basically if one person in your group got in, your whole group got in. Our group isn't a bunch of douches so when her friend offered to do this for her she declined and subsequently not get tickets with her account :(

Oh well, hopefully STEP has gotten better than when they introduced it.

Edit: Little more credence to what I said: https://twitter.com/JohnWBabiak/status/568169934083080192/photo/1

Fatal fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 19, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Ticket drama (and prices) seems to be ongoing and profitable.

2012:
http://burners.me/2012/02/10/exploring-the-other-part-ii-greed/

2013:
http://burners.me/2013/06/19/conspiracy-theories-meet-burning-man/

2014:
http://burners.me/2014/02/26/ticket-chaos-vehicle-passes-now-500-tickets-1500/
http://burners.me/2014/07/24/moretickets/

2015:
http://burners.me/2015/02/18/ticket-hell/

Also blah blah satanism blah blah drama.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I see people complaining about all the tickets on stub hub... but do each of those postings really equate to one ticket sold? I mean, what stops someone from posting a "ticket" on there for an outrageous amount and then going out to find one once someone buys it? I'm sure the people scalping have no qualms about selling a ticket they don't have and then saying "tough luck!" and refunding the money if they can't find one in time for the event.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Smeed posted:

I see people complaining about all the tickets on stub hub... but do each of those postings really equate to one ticket sold? I mean, what stops someone from posting a "ticket" on there for an outrageous amount and then going out to find one once someone buys it? I'm sure the people scalping have no qualms about selling a ticket they don't have and then saying "tough luck!" and refunding the money if they can't find one in time for the event.

Happened with Super Bowl tickets this year......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

That website is such poo poo. I'm not going to bother reading the previous articles because of how terrible 2015's is

e: there's some actual good information near the end of the article about scalping

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread