Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Nerobro posted:

The Super-X and the Turnigy are completely different sizes. The turnigy one is 250 class, the Super-X is 125 class.

The stability problems that guy is having are most likely related him using a KK v3 board, instead of a KK2 board. The KK (original series) boards have gyros only, no accelerometers, so it can't determine "up"

Gyro only will not effect stability like that. When you fly any newer board in acromode it does not use he acellerometers.
It is probably either vibrating badly with that prop arrangement or just not well tuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

helno posted:

Gyro only will not effect stability like that. When you fly any newer board in acromode it does not use he acellerometers.
It is probably either vibrating badly with that prop arrangement or just not well tuned.

when I tried to fly my KK 5.5 board, my quadcopter behaved pretty similarly. Admittedly, I didn't take time to tune it before the disgust kicked in.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Even the fanciest control board will fly like poo poo if you don't tune it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So what is the technical term for that double prop adapter I posted on the last page? prop doubler? shaft extender? bad idea? I notice some motors bolt directly to the quad arms, and some use those for a stand-offs but do not extend the shaft through the arm for another set of props. But why?

VVV EDIT: Collet Mount, thanks!

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 3, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Looks like he just used a longer shaft and a collet mount.

This layout is silly because you get to add the efficiency loss for a 3blade prop to the efficiency loss of stacked motors.

The only reason to use a layout like that or any stacked motor arrangement is to fit in a smaller box. At least with a stacked motor setup you can gain redundancy by having more motors.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

helno posted:

Even the fanciest control board will fly like poo poo if you don't tune it.

I thought that until I tried the naze. Even untuned it flies really nicely on the two quads I've put them in. Obviously tuning makes it way better though.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anybody point me to good comparative reviews of FPV headsets? I'm a little lost looking at the fatshark options vs. others.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

like 4 pages ago I complained about my KK being a heap of poo poo and y'all was like 'nah bro its fine just update it!'

now y'all like 'KK is dogshit get something better'

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Laserface posted:

like 4 pages ago I complained about my KK being a heap of poo poo and y'all was like 'nah bro its fine just update it!'

My ignorance reveals truth :downs:

I want my stupid Super-X to get here NOWWWWWWW. I did something else dumb, I just blindly bought the kit without even owning a transmitter. Dumb questions to follow:

The SuperX is DSM2, whatever that means. Will this cheap transmitter work?:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9042__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html

Does something like this clip into the transmitter like an N64 rumble pack making the cheap transmitter DSM2 compatible??
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24656__OrangeRX_DSMX_DSM2_Compatible_2_4Ghz_Transmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_compatible_.html

Or do I need to buy a more expensive transmitter that is already DSM2 compatible?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__48926__OrangeRx_T_SIX_2_4GHz_DSM2_Comp_6CH_Programmable_Transmitter_w_10_Model_Memory_Mode_2_.html

Ideally I'd like something like this which is cheap and has an LCD I don't know what I would use the LCD for yet, but maybe battery levels and ESC monitoring?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__62710__Turnigy_TGY_i6_AFHDS_Transmitter_and_6CH_Receiver_Mode_2_.html

Basically, what IS DSM2 and are all transmitters capable of it, or do I need a special kind?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo those alienwii fcs are hard to get. a dude I know at the makerspace managed to buy two, I just kept erroring out at order completion. He sells them at random times of the day now with no indication except for x number of people at the top of the notify me mailing list, and they sell out within 60 seconds

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

holy poo poo those alienwii fcs are hard to get. a dude I know at the makerspace managed to buy two, I just kept erroring out at order completion. He sells them at random times of the day now with no indication except for x number of people at the top of the notify me mailing list, and they sell out within 60 seconds

Yeah, the PCBs are on a low quantity run.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Laserface posted:

KK or KK2. :-) They're very different things.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

My ignorance reveals truth :downs:

I want my stupid Super-X to get here NOWWWWWWW. I did something else dumb, I just blindly bought the kit without even owning a transmitter. Dumb questions to follow:

The SuperX is DSM2, whatever that means. Will this cheap transmitter work?:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9042__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html

Does something like this clip into the transmitter like an N64 rumble pack making the cheap transmitter DSM2 compatible??
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24656__OrangeRX_DSMX_DSM2_Compatible_2_4Ghz_Transmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_compatible_.html

Or do I need to buy a more expensive transmitter that is already DSM2 compatible?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__48926__OrangeRx_T_SIX_2_4GHz_DSM2_Comp_6CH_Programmable_Transmitter_w_10_Model_Memory_Mode_2_.html

Ideally I'd like something like this which is cheap and has an LCD I don't know what I would use the LCD for yet, but maybe battery levels and ESC monitoring?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__62710__Turnigy_TGY_i6_AFHDS_Transmitter_and_6CH_Receiver_Mode_2_.html

Basically, what IS DSM2 and are all transmitters capable of it, or do I need a special kind?

DSM is a protocal. JR, Spektrum, and Orange and Lemon have the ability to use the DSM, DSM2 and DSMX protocals.

FRSky, FSSS, and then there are several other standards out there. Walkera uses their own..

No, that first transmitter won't "just work" without an adapter. You don't know what it does yet, but you do want a computer radio. The OrangeTX 6 channel is the cheapest way in. The LCD is used for programming the transmitter. Dual rates, exponential stick movments, travel limits, mixing between channels, another channel to allow switching between modes. Also the radio will allow easier range testing, and monitoring radio power levels.

Spend the $60, get the OrangeTX.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Punch it Chewie!

http://imgur.com/a/CjYA6

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hnnngghhgghghg :gizz:

I'm not actually THAT huge of a Star Wars nerd, I just think this is super wonderful.

I especially love the way powerful LEDs bloom the gently caress out in any video, making it totally look like some crazy plasma engine.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Can anyone post a link to the video(s)? Apparently I don't know how to use websites to discover comment sections.

e: weird the comments only show up if i use incognito
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRtXd1eiH-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpvIU8i0khs

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 4, 2015

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Speaking of Super-X's, I put some FPV gear on mine tonight:

70g with a 750 mAh battery on it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nice! Well, how well does it perform?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Mister Sinewave posted:

Nice! Well, how well does it perform?

I haven't gotten a chance to try it with the gear on it, but it's pretty zippy normally. I don't think the added weight is going to really hurt performance much. With where I have the camera mounted you can see a fair amount of the props, not sure how annoying I'm going to find that.

Also that little RHCP antenna for costing a bloody fortune is sort of crappy. I've had to recrimp the connector on the end twice just from playing with it and I have a feeling it's going to die the first time I crash hard.

The stupid multiwii board gives me a ton of trouble trying to get it armed so by the time I was done soldering it up and getting it put together I gave up for the night.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

Spend the $60, get the OrangeTX.

Done!

That Super X is awesome, did you 3d print the camera mount?

EDIT:

Sheesh my Super-X arrived ALREADY. I had ordered some 500mah lipos a few weeks ago and assumed it was the package that had arrived, but nope! lil carbon bits and electronics.

I thought they forgot to include the motors but it turns out they are just comically tiny.

EDIT2: aaaand one of the micro screw holes on one of my motors is filled with epoxy. good.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 6, 2015

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That Super X is awesome, did you 3d print the camera mount?

Yeah, I had a coworker who has a Ultimakr print out the landing gear and camera mount for me.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to buy an x-uav talon off a guy to do photogrammetry with. I assume I should be adept at actually flying it though. Should I buy a trainer or stick with the sim software like aerofly? They say its kinda fast and also its a v-tail so I'm lookin for my best option here.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Astronaut Jones posted:

Yeah, I had a coworker who has a Ultimakr print out the landing gear and camera mount for me.

Cool I would like to print one of those too.

So It is delivered and built, all the software is installed and ready to go, but my transmitter is in the mail. Can I plug the multiwii into USB and do the initial setup without a transmitter? I just want to make sure my motors are moving in the right direction and whatever else it says to do in the wiki.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 6, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm about to buy an x-uav talon off a guy to do photogrammetry with. I assume I should be adept at actually flying it though. Should I buy a trainer or stick with the sim software like aerofly? They say its kinda fast and also its a v-tail so I'm lookin for my best option here.

what software are you planning on using for photogrammetry?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

A V-tail isn't any harder to fly than a regular tail. However, the Talon is big will land fast, so having something to practice with, wouldn't be a bad idea. I would take one of the Flitetest designs and load it up with ballast to get used to flying a heavier plane.

Should my DIY project fail, I will get a Talon. I think it's pretty ideal for survey missions.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

what software are you planning on using for photogrammetry?

I think I'm still in a beta for WORKMODE, but I probably will also try agisoft and opendronemap

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I would take one of the Flitetest designs and load it up with ballast to get used to flying a heavier plane.

something like this or am i looking at the wrong stuff

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I was thinking more the FT Racer http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-racer-build or FT Spitfire..(You fly stuff already, right?).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/02/building-qfo-that-motor-situation.html

The QFO build starts in earnest.

What I've found:
  • 18XX motors are the biggest you might want to mount on the airframe. Bigger motors should be mounted upside down under the arms.
  • 18XX motors need to have the arms opened up.
  • The space inside the airframe is very, very tight.
  • The biggest single battery you can fit in there, is a 1500 3s. You can fit more, if you use smaller packs.
  • Mounting the FCS requires creativity. I am going to use a couple of paperclips to mount mine under the top cap magnets.
  • The airframe is 50% heavier than claimed. 67g total, in my case.
  • 6" props will fit.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I was thinking more the FT Racer http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-racer-build or FT Spitfire..(You fly stuff already, right?).

I've flown multirotors and I've spent 2 hours on fixed wings in aerofly. I'd also be up for getting a PNF setup from hobbyking if thats a good idea.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 6, 2015

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I would definitely get some fixed wing experience in something that isn't too heavy first. The main difference compared to multirotors is that you can't hover which takes some getting used to.

My first fixed wing was a TBS Caipirinha and it was a pretty easy transition. In general I find fixed wing much easier to fly than a multi or heli. But I wouldn't want to learn on something that stalls at 35kph with a couple of kg of weight in it.

My next plane is a Z3 which is much heavier and more powerful than anything I've flown and is going to be a pretty big step up for me. The first few launches are going to be interesting.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Here's a little something I whipped up in the last week. Ready to test/tune it tonight.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I've flown multirotors and I've spent 2 hours on fixed wings in aerofly. I'd also be up for getting a PNF setup from hobbyking if thats a good idea.

A Durafly EFX on 3S could be fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7M7Y2NMeHg
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56314__Durafly_8482_EFX_Racer_High_Performance_Sports_Model_PnF_Yellow_Edition.html

It might also be too fast....As the RCmodelreviews guy said, it's a better 3rd/4th plane, but if you already have some experience it might work? (And on 3S it'll be a fair bit slower).

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

mashed_penguin posted:

I would definitely get some fixed wing experience in something that isn't too heavy first. The main difference compared to multirotors is that you can't hover which takes some getting used to.

Well, you can hover, it's just a bit more difficult.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Did someone say hovering fixed wings?

Still one of the craziest things i've seen.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

subx posted:

Well, you can hover, it's just a bit more difficult.

:golfclap:

That said hovering a fixed wing in fpv would be way, way more difficult.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
pretty great surf/outdoors compilation shot w/ a drone.
https://vimeo.com/116742009

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Just finished building my ZMR250, took it for a test run to see if there were any issues.

I'm really impressed (terrified!) with how fast it is. Handles a lot differently from the Hubsan that I've been using for the past couple of months.

I used somebody's PIDs, and they seem pretty nice but I think I may have to do some further tuning.

I also need to find a bigger park. I went to a local cricket field and that felt a bit cramped.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rnTk6FBzs

Some of these are amazing. I love the one trying to take off in the water...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I spent some time today trying to come up with a small footprint gopro+gimbal platform. I was hoping to make it with 3.5 or 4 inch props, but good ones aren't easy to find. I had to move up to easy to find 5 inch props but it made the entire thing a lot bigger. Does anybody know a source of high torque smaller props?

Had to make it a weird stretch Armstrong shape so the gopro can freely rotate, but I think it will work. I'd like to try 3D printing the frame. Maybe I could also buy a sheet of carbon fiber and have it cut on a router? is it hard to cut? I won't be making this anytime soon so how does the design look?

Blue = batteries
Orange = motors
Yellow = ESCs
Green = flight controller
Light Green = gimbal controller
Red = prop boundary

It used to be a lot smaller though, still fit the same amount of batteries:(

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If you change the vertical height of the motors, you can allow the props to overlap. At least if overall size matters to you.