Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

Seen it, it was good. Not incredible, but good. Would totally watch something similiar
If you haven't yet, watch the ending to the first movie(last 20ish minutes iirc), then watch the second movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Giant robot OVAs sound cool, I've always wanted to get into mazinger and getter, but somehow just never really got around to it

I'll check out the Gurren Lagann movies too then, wasn't aware there was anything of note in them

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ninjewtsu posted:

I have legit ADHD and somehow it has only gotten worse with age. What're some fast paced animes with lots of action? I really like the mecha part of mecha shows but it is hard to describe how much I do not want to sit through the non-mecha parts of Gundam

Crazy poo poo like the first season of Valverave is right up my alley. Something like Gundam Build Fighters that fills the space between fights with comedy is also pretty great. I just want a series with lots of stuff that is entertaining in the short term (as opposed to something like I guess long term character development? I don't know how to describe it but trying to watch Turn A Gundam and Eureka Seven was pretty difficult for me)

All of the examples I've given are mecha but I'm cool with any action, not just robots

Kill la Kill is tailor made for people with ADHD. I fuckin' hate it as a series, but there's lots of action and cool fights and characters.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 4, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

Giant robot OVAs sound cool, I've always wanted to get into mazinger and getter, but somehow just never really got around to it

I'll check out the Gurren Lagann movies too then, wasn't aware there was anything of note in them

It takes things a step further

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

New Getter Robo is a pretty great way to get into Getter since it eases you into how completely "eat my own hair" crazy anyone in a Getter is.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Going to recommend my first foray into hot blooded giant mecha, King of Braves GaoGaiGar. Don't really know if it is objectivly good/bad, but I really liked it.

Mainly because it does poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6oyFy4oxU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Zernach posted:

Going to recommend my first foray into hot blooded giant mecha, King of Braves GaoGaiGar. Don't really know if it is objectivly good/bad, but I really liked it.

Mainly because it does poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6oyFy4oxU

Gaogaigar owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZaZC2t6hnY

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

Subtle differences in the first til the end, and the second movie greatly expands and changes the last fight. Worth it for completion, but they have the same flaws most compilation movies have (specifically for TTGL, the power progression loses its omph because it happens so quickly, but since you've seen the series already that's not an issue)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

yeah canadian netflix only

it's got a super good dub so if you're canadian i recommend it

This is from a while ago but this was amazing thanks.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Saladore posted:

I've just finished watching Knights of Sidonia and quite enjoyed it. Could someone recommend a good mecha anime? I'm completely new to the genre so anything should be fine. I really enjoyed the alien nature and mystery of the Guana, so a similar adversary would be nice. I also really enjoyed the bleak space setting and the trans-humanism aspects.

Something dubbed would be nice too, but it's not a dealbreaker. Thanks.

8th MS Team, Visions of Escaflowne, Gasaraki.

Gasaraki has a good dub that's free on Youtube.
http://youtu.be/OdLklzIV9xs

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys what's a good Manga that revolves around a salaryman? Hopefully one that takes a critical look at japanese working life.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The_Frag_Man posted:

Hey guys what's a good Manga that revolves around a salaryman? Hopefully one that takes a critical look at japanese working life.

Aw man, without that last criteria I would say Black Lagoon. Alas :v:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I liked anime long ago before burning out on it, but fell back in love after following the Legend of Galactic Heroes thread in TVIV and I'd love more in that vein.

It doesn't need to be space opera, though I loved that part.
Something thoughtful that explores mores, culture or psychology without being stuck up its own rear end.
Something with a minimum of anime cliches.
A cast of adults would help.

Alternatively, I also recently watched and enjoyed the following:
Attack on Titan
Parasyte
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Phantom Blood through Stardust Crusaders)
Madoka Magicka (usually not my thing, but it surprised me and I liked it)

Anime I remember liking ~15-20 years ago or more (No idea how well they aged)
Rose of Versailles
Kimagure Orange Road
Space Cruiser Yamato (as Starblazers)
Escaflowne
Anything Studio Ghibli (Porco Rosso is my favorite)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yamato 2199 is a remake of the original Yamato that manages to modernize the series while also keeping a lot of what people liked about the original. You should definitely give it a shot.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bell_ posted:

I liked anime long ago before burning out on it, but fell back in love after following the Legend of Galactic Heroes thread in TVIV and I'd love more in that vein.

Something thoughtful that explores mores, culture or psychology without being stuck up its own rear end.

I recommend Planetes, it pretty much hits all of these boxes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bell_ posted:

Attack on Titan
Parasyte

Rose of Versailles
Kimagure Orange Road
Escaflowne

Go watch Mushi-Shi.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bell_ posted:

Attack on Titan
Parasyte

Rose of Versailles
Kimagure Orange Road
Escaflowne

You might like Crest (and then Banner) of the Stars
http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=Crest_of_the_Stars

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go watch Mushi-Shi.

Absolutely seconding this.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How is Violence Jack? I know it's Go Nagai, so, How many boobies are there?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Could someone recommend me something fun and high fantasy? Preferably reasonably long, something close in spirit to the Tales series. The presence of Love is not mandatory, but would be appreciated.

Escaflowne's probably the closest comp to what I'm looking for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Could someone recommend me something fun and high fantasy? Preferably reasonably long, something close in spirit to the Tales series. The presence of Love is not mandatory, but would be appreciated.

All of these are varying degrees of 'high' fantasy, but

Chaika the Coffin Princess
Record of Lodoss War
Slayers
Haven't watched Guin Saga, but it's an anime with music by Nobou Uematsu. That's gotta count for something, right?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

shingeki no bahamut

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

How is Violence Jack? I know it's Go Nagai, so, How many boobies are there?
As far as the manga goes. There quite a few boobies but not a lot compared to other Go Nagai manga. It's more about violence and humanity's cruelty and kindness in terrible situations. Also Jack murdering the poo poo out of people with a giant knife. Great fun really.

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you liked Escaflowne check out Dunbine, Panzer World Galient and Rayearth. They're not at good as Escaflowne but they're decent got that robots meet's fantasy thing going on. Though Rayearth is more JRPG than normal fantasy. Also Galent was a huge influence on the making of Escaflowne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CiX6ArmsQ

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Spiritus Nox posted:

You might like Book of Bantorra but it's really dense in the same way DRRR and Baccano are but with no where near the payoff of those two series.

More reasonable suggestions: Moribito, Guin Saga is pretty good, I'm not a big fan but if you want a decent mix of high fantasy and romance with an OK twist then Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is probably up your alley. If you want to read manga then Bastard is awesome.

Oh an obviously you should watch Sword of the Stranger, because it's one of the best ways to spend two hours if you like anime.

I don't know if you've just played the games but a bunch of them got Anime adaptations of wildly varying quality.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

shingeki no bahamut

We need a second season of this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd watched 3 episodes or so of Chaika and then kind of fell out of it - more due to time constraints rather than any problem with the show itself. Got back into it with an episode last night, and was pretty surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It's Tales-ier than I remember, which is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, so I think I'll stick with it for a while. Second season is out now, right? Part of the reason I lost my enthusiasm for the first season is that S1's only 12 episodes. and that's a bit light for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, Season 2 is out and done, and it's basically about as good as the first.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the ending isn't great, but neither are tales endings

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All about the journey

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I thought Season 2 was pretty mediocre, personally. It killed my interest in the series.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is "cop show" anime a thing? What I really want from this world The Wire-esque anime

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

IE realistic? Fat chance getting anything like the wire out of japan. No drugs and no guns out there.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

IE realistic?

Yep. Some murder detective poo poo or whatever cop stuff, but realistic.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ghost in the Shell SAC is the closest I can think of to cop anime. Not super realistic but closest you'll get.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is "cop show" anime a thing? What I really want from this world The Wire-esque anime

good luck
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/tags/police?page=1

but read like shibatora or Misappropriation Investigator Nakabo Rintaro or something like that. closest you are going to get to realistic unless you want to watch one of the many bad japanese police dramas

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Brainamp posted:

Ghost in the Shell SAC is the closest I can think of to cop anime. Not super realistic but closest you'll get.

It has been a long as time when I watched SAC but i remember it being mind-numbingly boring. The first GitS movie is great, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

There's some anime about sci-fi/fantasy cops, like Psycho-Pass, and Japan has also produced a lot of live-action police procedurals (which I assume are like American police procedurals, but with lower budgets). I don't think Japan has produced anything in the vein of The Wire in either medium.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Manhole is a good cop drama manga. Also there's a bioterrorism plot, but there's a good amount of cop drama.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People have told me to watch Patlabor in the context of procedurals, but I have yet to find time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite cop drama is persona 4

• Locked thread