Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Kakyoin was the best Crusader. He deserved to live. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah it takes place in italy, where the gently caress was a Zeppeli. you're telling me Ceasar didn't have a couple of bastards running around?

If Caesar had illegitimate children they wouldn't necessarily share his surname! :eng101:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kakyoin was the best Crusader. He deserved to live. :smith:

Imagine Hierophant Green Requiem and then Kakyoin is all hosed up in a wheelchair.

Then he's a turtle.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Didn't Jotaro marry an Italian-American? Her being a Zeppeli would explain the ending to Stone Ocean, except Jolyne didn't sacrifice herself for a Joestar.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Emporio was pretty much Jotaro junior by the end of it all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So was there ever any explanation for why Emporio called Jolyne big sister and was so attached to her from the get-go? Was it just Araki being Araki?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's what's called Japanese writing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Imagine Hierophant Green Requiem and then Kakyoin is all hosed up in a wheelchair.

Then he's a turtle.

Being stuck in a wheelchair and then in a turtle without a bathroom fits more thematically with polnareff imo

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

That's what's called Japanese writing.

we live in a post oreimo world where people still haven't figured out Asians have differing family values.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Momomo posted:

So was there ever any explanation for why Emporio called Jolyne big sister and was so attached to her from the get-go? Was it just Araki being Araki?

In East Asia you can refer to anybody you're friends with who's older than you as big brother or big sister, regardless of actual relation. Chinese people may also refer to younger friends as little brother/little sister, but it seems that in Japan you'd just use their given name. Translators have a habit of directly translating that, which sounds awkward in English.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

Part 6's ending was awesome in that it's like a gainax ending. I think the only endings that were lackluster were 1 and 5, but 1 somehow doesn't feel like it counts.

Dude, Phantom Blood has an amazing ending, with these two herculean rivals taking each other out and sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Don't get me wrong, it's not as memorable as some of the other endings, but it's still JoJo and still blows most other things out of the water. It's very poignant and thematically spot on; it's more conventional than a lot of endings, but it's still a really great ending to the story of Jonathan and Dio.

Of course, that's all slightly undercut by Stardust Crusaders existing, but whatever, DIO is great and stands are great and Egypt is great.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I have successfully gotten numerous of my friends into Jojos by sitting them down, loading Crunchyroll, and telling them to give it the 3 episode test.

E1: "Holy poo poo that Dio kid is a dick"
E2: "Holy poo poo they're jacked" "That's REO Speedwagon? Seriously?" "Did that hobo turn into a vampire?"
E3: ":catstare: ...Can we keep watching?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, I finally checked JoJo out last year through the anime after hearing about it here and there for the last 10 years or so (starting with the WRYYYYYYYYY meme on YTMND in 05-ish). I already knew poo poo Gets Crazy(tm), but episode 2 was pretty great already, and then by the 3rd I knew I was gonna be hooked. And that's before the Ripple even gets hinted at.

It's dull and anticlimactic compared to the incredible poo poo that starts happening from Battle Tendency onward, but it's still fantastic on its own merits for a newcomer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I always tell people that Part 1 is pretty decent, but JoJo gets really JoJo in Battle Tendency because that's where it found its style and its niche.

And if you aren't completely in love by "Awaken my masters!" just call it a write off.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just noticed from the previews that there's going to be a Kakyon filler scene next week, cool.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Still going through Part 4 again. The rat-hunting fight is great, and I love that there's a fight where Jotaro gets to use his expertise as a biologist.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

I was hoping the ending of part 5 would be the logical counter to being able to predict the future: make every future possibility within 10 seconds result in King Crimson's defeat.

The "I automatically counter your ability" power-up just felt really wrong and inconsistent in a story about punching ghostmen.

I think the idea was more that their fight was a race to get the arrow, whoever will get it first will become basically invincible and win the fight by default. Except from what I remember most of the final confrontation with Diavolo is taken up with those Silver Chariot Requiem shenanigans so it never feels like a proper fight no matter how you interpret it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Is it just me or was Iggy trying to evolve early instead of waiting his turn for the pet shop fight

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

I think the idea was more that their fight was a race to get the arrow, whoever will get it first will become basically invincible and win the fight by default. Except from what I remember most of the final confrontation with Diavolo is taken up with those Silver Chariot Requiem shenanigans so it never feels like a proper fight no matter how you interpret it.
Yeah I get the idea. It just felt flat. I would've been fine with the arrow directly being a super power up into the amazonian rain forest of horrors someone else mentioned or just anything but what it was.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hoobajoo posted:

Dude, Phantom Blood has an amazing ending, with these two herculean rivals taking each other out and sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Don't get me wrong, it's not as memorable as some of the other endings, but it's still JoJo and still blows most other things out of the water. It's very poignant and thematically spot on; it's more conventional than a lot of endings, but it's still a really great ending to the story of Jonathan and Dio.

Of course, that's all slightly undercut by Stardust Crusaders existing, but whatever, DIO is great and stands are great and Egypt is great.
I guess the other parts endings just shine so brightly in comparison for me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it just me or was Iggy trying to evolve early instead of waiting his turn for the pet shop fight

Yeah I kind of wish DavePro waited for Pet Shop to change Iggy's face. I was hoping it would be an instant, oh-my-god-I'm-suddenly-badass change like it was in the manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Some folks in the anime thread complaining about the prospect of Mariah fanservice and it's all I can do not to post her face.

You know the one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nah, wouldn't want to spoil it. I burst out laughing my first time. It's one of those things you just don't want to ruin.

Though now I wonder what they'll make of Alessi.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is Mariah's face going to be in the next episode? I think that might be in Part 2, since it seems like Part 1's best hope for a cliffhanger would be when Joseph and Avdol are about to get run over by that train.

I hope they keep that scene from the Shining in the Alessi fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is Mariah's face going to be in the next episode? I think that might be in Part 2, since it seems like Part 1's best hope for a cliffhanger would be when Joseph and Avdol are about to get run over by that train.

I hope they keep that scene from the Shining in the Alessi fight.

My bet is that is were they will end part 1 on.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah I kind of wish DavePro waited for Pet Shop to change Iggy's face. I was hoping it would be an instant, oh-my-god-I'm-suddenly-badass change like it was in the manga.

Iggy looks pretty close to how he did in the manga at this point, honestly.

It's not until Pet Shop Iggy becomes the The Most Handsome Dog.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There are 24 episodes for the Egypt arc, yeah? I'm trying to figure out how they're gonna divvy up the episodes.

2 for N'Doul
1 for Oingo & Boingo
2 for Anubis
2 for Mariah
Probably 2 for Alessi
Probably 2 for D'arby Sr
1 for Hol Horse & Boingo? I don't remember this fight being too long, but if they needed to maybe it could be padded out to 2?
2 for Pet Shop
2 for D'arby Jr
Vanilla Ice (2 or 3 episodes?)
Dio (3 or 4 episodes?)

I dunno, is there anything I missed because if not it's gonna be great that a third of the egypt arc is just the Vanilla Ice and Dio fights.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
3-4 for Kenny G

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LvK posted:

3-4 for Kenny G

No he only gets 1. The other 3 eps are Nukesaku.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
There's going to be a filler episode where Alessi transforms Old Joseph into Young Joseph and crazy antics ensue.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the final couple of fights will definitely have about 5-6 episodes between them at the very least

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They could probably get Pet Shop down to one, and while it'd suck if they did, they could probably drop Hol Horse and Boingo. I doubt they will though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

There are 24 episodes for the Egypt arc, yeah? I'm trying to figure out how they're gonna divvy up the episodes.

2 for N'Doul
1 for Oingo & Boingo
2 for Anubis
2 for Mariah
Probably 2 for Alessi
Probably 2 for D'arby Sr
1 for Hol Horse & Boingo? I don't remember this fight being too long, but if they needed to maybe it could be padded out to 2?
2 for Pet Shop
2 for D'arby Jr
Vanilla Ice (2 or 3 episodes?)
Dio (3 or 4 episodes?)

I dunno, is there anything I missed because if not it's gonna be great that a third of the egypt arc is just the Vanilla Ice and Dio fights.

I'm guessing Darby the Gamer will be three episodes and Dio (including the bit with Suzie Q and the epilogue-type stuff) will be 5 episodes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BillehS posted:

There's going to be a filler episode where Alessi transforms Old Joseph into Young Joseph and crazy antics ensue.

Shut up shut up shut up

We all know this is too good to be true.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I don't know at all how to feel about the ending of Stone Ocean.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Considering D'arby the Gamer was 11 chapters long I'd be surprised if it's less than 3 episodes.

2 for N'Doul
1 for Oingo & Boingo
2 for Anubis
2 for Mariah
2 for Alessi
2 for D'arby the Gambler
1 for Hol Horse & Boingo
2 for Pet Shop
3 for D'arby the Gamer
3 for Vanilla Ice
4 for DIO

comes out to 24 episodes total.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vanilla Ice's third ep's second half will likely be the Suzy Q Joestar goes to Holly bit. There's also Shooting DIO that they're going to have to shove in between Alessi and D'Arby too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hol Horse & Boingo is six chapters, making a two-parter more likely. Lots of dialogue as well, though comparatively little happens. Dialogue's a big time eater.

Alternatively, Petshop's only five chapters with very little dialogue apart from Iggy's thoughts. What they'll probably do is finish him off early, either just before or right after the second episode's break, then jump right in to D'Arby the Gamer.

Aurain posted:

Vanilla Ice's third ep's second half will likely be the Suzy Q Joestar goes to Holly bit. There's also Shooting DIO that they're going to have to shove in between Alessi and D'Arby too.
Shouldn't be too hard, Alessi's also only five chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Alessi's episodes will probably be a two parter to accomodate the scene with Dio and Hol Horse.

• Locked thread