Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Yardbomb posted:

I get there and the only people capable of hitting her are an Occultist and Plague Doctor (Because my prick Highwayman is 3 and won't go anymore). My Leper suddenly misses just about every hit with around 70% accuracy, on top of his accuracy buff from camping. My Crusader with some ridiculously high buffed damage percent can never hit either. This fatass crone might as well get eighty turns in a row when we have pretty average speed. The whole group had improved armor and weapons. Every time it's either the Leper or Crusader who get put in and I basically can't leave without them. I had multiple Ancestral trinkets on the team as well as my other actual good ones. Failed about 4 retreats in a row. Legit pissed at such a stupid fight and the shittiest loving dice rolls known to mankind taking my entire best lineup.

The human mind: fragile, like a robin's egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I run down to something like 125, went "gently caress it, I'll suicide a team on a "Clear 100% room battles"

They cleared it, only losing one person and one person stress breaking.

There was only one actual room battle to clear, and it had a big chest! :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

PrinnySquadron posted:

I run down to something like 125, went "gently caress it, I'll suicide a team on a "Clear 100% room battles"

They cleared it, only losing one person and one person stress breaking.

There was only one actual room battle to clear, and it had a big chest! :v:

That's the reason I like the "clear 100 room battles" objective more than the "clear 90% of rooms" objective--sometimes you luck out and clear all the room battles in less than five minutes. :v:

paranoid randroid posted:

e. also I just realized that the Warrens area is a reference to The House on the Borderlands. Mutant pig-men living in tunnels underneath a remote estate.

This image from one of the House on the Borderlands adaptations looks familiar.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
So I've beaten all the bosses. Is the win condition to get everything in the estate fully restored or what? Is there an end screen?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The other two dungeons haven't been released yet, so a win condition if any is going to have to wait.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Lotish posted:

The other two dungeons haven't been released yet, so a win condition if any is going to have to wait.

Yeah I saw that. I just wondered because people were saying they had "Beat" the game. I guess they just mean beating all bosses.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I also just finished off the ninth boss, and have nothing in particular to do with my heroes but grind maybe?

The game suffers from a victory spiral, where once you're doing well it's easy to continue doing well, and the 'oh poo poo' moments become less and less frequent.

Time for a break, Steam says I've taken 28 hours so far (some were lost early on to a corrupted save, but more than twenty for the current file).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I am puzzled: I have a highwayman who, for some reason, has a -43% Other to damage. So when he uses grapeshot, he's got -93% damage. I've checked his negative traits, and he has a -10% from "light sensitive" and a trinket that has -8%, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the other -25% is coming from.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Haroshia posted:

So I've beaten all the bosses. Is the win condition to get everything in the estate fully restored or what? Is there an end screen?

The devs said there will be an ending when the game is finished, but for now it's an endless tide of death and despair.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Lotish posted:

So I am puzzled: I have a highwayman who, for some reason, has a -43% Other to damage. So when he uses grapeshot, he's got -93% damage. I've checked his negative traits, and he has a -10% from "light sensitive" and a trinket that has -8%, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the other -25% is coming from.

Did he recently spend time de-stressing and get a temporary negative?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What does "Religious" mean, when it comes to the Vestal camp skills? I've never had the bonus trigger, even on characters like the Crusader...?

Lotish posted:

My first result, choosing Russian:

Truly a venerable Russian name.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Lotish posted:

There's a bug where if you leave a dungeon while a character is at death's door, that character suffers from the penalties of death's door for the entire next dungeon. Not necessarily what's happening here, but if your speed and accuracy are also mysteriously low, that might be it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jackard posted:

What does "Religious" mean, when it comes to the Vestal camp skills? I've never had the bonus trigger, even on characters like the Crusader...?

As far as I can tell it has to do with religious quirks. That's why Reynauld gets the bonus, he's "god fearing."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Man, Hellions seem to get the best trinkets. I've got two that add great bleed bonuses and resistances, and just picked up a third that increases affliction and deathblow resistance by 12%.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheBlandName posted:

That's someone you found on the official or steam forums, right? In any case, I'm trying to think if that's even technically possible (for the kind of player who's broken after a 72 hour break). And the answer I'm coming up with is no. 9 damage to everyone twice from a pair of fusiliers, 9 more damage to everyone from a bloodletter using rain of blows. That could certainly insta-gib some of the squishiest classes if the bleed caused a deathblow. But a crusader at full health would survive. A leper at full health would survive. A hellion would probably survive. So I'm left to conclude that the tale is fictional, the player was at the very most beginning stages of the game where a wipe doesn't matter, or they did make a mistake in party composition but are unwilling to acknowledge it (which is a legitimate criticism of the game, but not an objective one).
Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't really understand how that could have happened. I can see taking a fuckload of damage, but completely wiping?
It was a post that came from the guy who's bad enough that he lost to the first dungeon over and over again, restarting his game every time his roster filled up with stressed-out newbies because he couldn't even find the dismiss button, so I wouldn't be shocked if there's a mistake been made here

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

Crusaders and vestals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If a hellion uses the 'gently caress the gods' ability in camp or whatever, it says - stress to them, +stress to others. Does that count for other hellions? I haven't done it because I was afraid, but that should be like the opposite of the 'religious' classes, have some atheist classes. Obviously Hellion, probably Occultist too.

Haroshia posted:

Yeah I saw that. I just wondered because people were saying they had "Beat" the game. I guess they just mean beating all bosses.

If you click the scroll in town, that tells the history of everything you've done in game (neat), there's a checklist to the right. I would imagine they mean filling the whole checklist.

I'm pretty sure its just kill all bosses, and get all classes to max level.

There's no ending in-game yet, that's the Early Access part of this otherwise very polished game. They'll be adding some "ending" quests along with The Darkest Dungeon and The Cove.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is this worth early access at this point? I am kinda interested.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unlucky7 posted:

Probably yes, but you might get unlucky and be one of the people who crashes constantly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Unlucky7 posted:

Yes very much so IF you can accept a game that's going to challenge you. If you liked true classic roguelikes like Nethack with death around every corner, this is for you. It's the most polished Early Access game I've yet seen.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes very much so IF you can accept a game that's going to challenge you. If you liked true classic roguelikes like Nethack with death around every corner, this is for you. It's the most polished Early Access game I've yet seen.

I wouldn't quite call it as punishing as classic roguelikes, since you still have permanent progress in terms of your base and a free flow of new recruits. Kinda similar to XCom style persistant base + recruits

The game isn't THAT unforgiving. Not quite classic roguelike, but not roguelite.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Normal Adult Human posted:

Crusaders and vestals.
Classbased doesn't seem to work if that's the case.

Quirkbased doesn't sound very helpful either.

Zaphod42 posted:

If a hellion uses the 'gently caress the gods' ability in camp or whatever, it says - stress to them, +stress to others. Does that count for other hellions?
Yes, everyone including nonreligious classes for some reason.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 7, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So did a patch increase the rate at which the light goes down, because it's decreasing much faster than it used to (even on a new file).

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Does poison resist reduce the damage of attacks (like the little green spiders spit) or just the dot?

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

madpanda posted:

Does poison resist reduce the damage of attacks (like the little green spiders spit) or just the dot?

Poison/blight resist reduces only the chance of being poisoned by the attack. If the dot lands it'll tick for full damage until it wears off or is cleansed.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I think they should remove chance to lose items when doing stress relief stuff. Having a gameplay element be "remember to remove trinkets before drinking" is dumb. So far that has been the only thing that has really felt like a wrong move in the dev choices in the game.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Single attack rolls on area of effect attacks are fixed. Just got blanket fired at for something like 4/dodge/dodge/4

:toot:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

madpanda posted:

Nothing seems to reduce the damage of a dot (nor increase it either). It's either all resisted, or it all goes through.

This opens up the possibility of doing a blight/bleed build by either going all into +chance or getting as much survivability as possible that reduce your dmg, because it doesn't matter

But why would you do a dot build in this game...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
loving Hellion with no -ACC afflictions just whiffed three breakthroughs in a row against the Necromancer. I'm tempted to put her on the next stagecoach out of town for that pathetic showing.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Haroshia posted:

Basically it's a fight that you need to build your party to beat.

Chopped everything else out of your post to focus on this. This sentence encapsulates the entire genre of dungeon crawlers. It's pretty much why they're made. Darkest Dungeon just happens to be a very coherently and competently themed and presented dungeon crawler that managed to attract the attention of people unused to the genre. Despite the reputation Darkest Dungeon has gained, it's really forgiving for the genre. It even has an opening blurb for people new to the genre to try and set their expectations correctly.

ZypherIM posted:

I think they should remove chance to lose items when doing stress relief stuff. Having a gameplay element be "remember to remove trinkets before drinking" is dumb. So far that has been the only thing that has really felt like a wrong move in the dev choices in the game.

Don't bother. If a hero doesn't have a trinket equipped and rolls the lose trinket event you still lose something. It's not worth your time to make the chances that it isn't trinket X a little higher unless it's one of a set of Martyr's Seals, and why the gently caress would you send a perfect Martyr to rehab?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well that is pretty stupid still. I'd want to keep some poo poo trinkets around just to send with the fucker going off to drink just in case he is gonna lose poo poo.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
So the defensive Protection skills for the Leper and Crusader are pretty amazing. Crit hit for 1 damage? :getin:

Also I'm really warming up to running a paid of Bounty Hunters. Spend the first turn or two pulling and uppercutting enemies into positions that reduce their damage output, then mark and kill off the toughest ones.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Bounty hunters are great for pushing enemies everywhere and can pretty much attack from any row. I'm starting to like them as well.

Damage output can be a little lacking but mark and stun damage bonuses add up nicely.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well I finally built up a team that I trusted with facing the Swine Prince that wasn't so high they'd refuse the job. A leper with the +Acc camp buff, a Hellion with the +crit camp buff, and an occultist with the a +damage camp buff and a bounty hunter to land hits on marks and a +acc camp buff. Had excellent scouting luck and only had to handle two fights on the way to the boss, then camped for all the buffs, stepped inside, and ended the fight by round three because we were making GBS threads out so much damage. With all the buffs on, my Leper's minimum damage from his weakest attack (Initimidate) was more than Wilbur had health. So I went to every fight on the map as a victory lap and completely steamrolled everything. Everyone came out of it with positive quirks, to boot. Glorious.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

Bounty hunters are great for pushing enemies everywhere and can pretty much attack from any row. I'm starting to like them as well.

Damage output can be a little lacking but mark and stun damage bonuses add up nicely.

This makes me want to run dual Bounty Hunters with a Yawping Hellion for 200% stun chance for front 2 spots and plague doctor for 100% stun on back 2 (switch to damage buff on a bounty when back 2 dead)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wish I could mod the music. I am not a big fan of the music variety.

Oh yeah, and a hot key to toggle between map/inventory.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 7, 2015

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I'm glad my first action with the crusader against the swine prince was to use the defense buff, because the pig's first action was to crit him for 16. No idea how much that would have crit for had he not had the protection bonus.
Especially since every other time he's cast that buff, I've never seen anything do more than 1-2 damage against it even on crit.

I've now killed the lvl1 versions of each of the bosses. So far hag was the diciest because I couldn't pop my guys out of the pot that quickly, so the two that went in both came out on deaths door.
Hellion with the camp buff against large enemies got a nice crit for 36 during the fight, though, and that +bleed ended the fight before anything other than the pot became threatening.

Also finagled it so that I saved a team of hero's about to get to lvl3 for the last lvl1 boss, so they all reached lvl3 right after there were no first tier bosses left to fight.
I'm really liking hellion(bleed, iron swan)/crusader(holy lance) up front, and grave robber (lunge/shadow fade) and vestal in the back. Really good at sniping the back ranks, fairly resistant to being reordered.
The grave robber has a +crit trinket and has a decent chance of racking up enough crits which does a good job of mitigating or even reducing overall stress.

I don't have a wide array of good early level characters though, and no lvl3 healer yet, so I might have to go back to the insanity fest / RNG appeasal of newbies vs early dungeons for a while.

My graveyard actually only has four people in it, but if you peek over the manor walls you'll see a large horde of insane people muttering demonic gibberish that I dismissed before they could get other people killed.

e: rng be praised, after 20 weeks the caravan finally had a replacement highwayman, first I've seen since Dismas ate it against a fusilier early on.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

loving Hellion with no -ACC afflictions just whiffed three breakthroughs in a row against the Necromancer. I'm tempted to put her on the next stagecoach out of town for that pathetic showing.

When I'm mad at my units, I make them meditate so they can sit in the corner and think about what they've done.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally got a hellion and oh my they're great. Howard the Hellion just burned through a weald quest with her buddy Picot the Leper. There were two other guys but they didn't do anything of note. They even came out of it with almost no stress because the leading two just kept critting forever.

Well except the occultist, but he sucked and almost died and spent the entire last fight just healing himself from his own bleeding death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I beat all the bosses, which I figure is as close to a game finish you can get right now. Cool game, really excited to see where it goes from here.

Despite people saying the late game is trivial, my wall of shame is a testament to bad ideas and hubris;

Basically all those guys died due to me experimenting with bad party layouts or being a dumb fucker. Pretty much all of them died on their very first deathblow too, so I'm wondering; do the first few weeks have some hidden bonus to death blow resist? In the first few weeks of my two runs, I had guys get hit in death's door multiple times and survive. Not sure if that was just dumb luck or the game being merciful to a new player/RNG victim.

Also, I hear some people playing without healers and I legit don't get how. I can see how overwhelming offense works on paper but it seems very susceptible to terrible RNG luck. You might be able to crush every formation before they can do anything, but what if they just roll more speed and crit you a bunch? Happened to me before, and I can salvage the situation with a healer, but without one you'd just be straight hosed unless it was a longer mission and you hadn't camped yet. Right now I feel like I have to bring a Vestal on every mission to not risk death by RNG. I've used an Occultist in her place many times and had it work but the later on you get the less effective this is since his heal can be utterly useless depending on dice.

Maybe I'm just not bold enough.