Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

here it belongs here as well as cjs!

i'm really picky and aspergic about my German cars though so it's pretty unfair for me to just sit there and talk poo poo on new stuff. it just has way way way way too much tech for me

my car is "a big black bmw" but really it is a 1990s tech v8 (not fancy), a stick shift, four comfy seats and a decent stereo. no nav no idrive no cameras, it has a tape deck. on a creature comfort level its a god damned austere econo sedan compared to a modern 7 or caddy or hell a fuckin maxima

i just want a late model 635csi or m6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cool fact: According to J.D. Power, Audi leads the automotive brand pack for percentage of drivers with a four year degree or higher.

Their percentage of drivers with a four year degree is 31.66%.

The vast majority of people in expensive German cars have a trade school or high school education.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

i just want a late model 635csi or m6

depending on if I want to put up with iDrive bullshit or not, my next car will be either an e60 m5 or an 850csi. idrive though ughhhhhhhhhsooooooobaaaaaaddddddddd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Jonny 290 posted:

this is the dumbest argument and i'm regexing all your posts to kitten pics in my stylesheet

when i was growing up, my cousins lived down the street from a guy who was a former f1 race driver. everyone always asked his kids "omg does your dad have a super fast car i bet he has like 10 ferraris" but actually he owned a diesel jetta because who gives a poo poo, even the fastest street car is nothing compared to his f1 car.

when i look at luxury cars, i want something that's a nice riiiiiiiiiiiiiide, who cares if it takes ten seconds to hit sixty, i'll get the go-fastness in my other vehicle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Cool fact: According to J.D. Power, Audi leads the automotive brand pack for percentage of drivers with a four year degree or higher.

Their percentage of drivers with a four year degree is 31.66%.

The vast majority of people in expensive German cars have a trade school or high school education.

doesn't only 25% of the country (or less, maybe) have a four year degree in the first place?

how do the expensive german car brands compare to toyotas and fords?

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

doesn't only 25% of the country (or less, maybe) have a four year degree in the first place?

how do the expensive german car brands compare to toyotas and fords?

I don't have numbers for Hondas or Fords, sadly, but last numbers I saw said that the "workforce" (ie, excluding retireds and people who ran out their unemployment) is at 37% with college degrees.

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/driving-a-bmw-six-figure-salary-and-a-college-education.html

Apr 7, 2003

The important thing about that J.D. Power study I posted, btw, is that it profiles "buyers" and only "buyers." I suspect the numbers for lessees are significantly different, and all of those brands lease a majority of the cars they have in North America.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the contenders:

anabolic steroid pumped four door boat with an 8,250 redline v10 that sounds like the world ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oszajd3mlK4

versus

vintage 90's coke lord whip with a v12 that's got its own zip code shoved in front of six gears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIv9-TEUoSY

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

some people are really hosed up about buying foreign cars still, its so loving goofy

watching the commercial I was thinking exactly "no way someone who could afford a house like that would drive anything less than an a8 or 7-series"

then again, where do the remaining few idiots with a complex about foreign cars live?

Detroit.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Chris Knight posted:

the s8 does 0-60 in under 4.1 sec, a8 with tt v8 around 4.7

someone in my building at work has a black s8 v10, it's gorgeous

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

the contenders:

anabolic steroid pumped four door boat with an 8,250 redline v10 that sounds like the world ending

versus

vintage 90's coke lord whip with a v12 that's got its own zip code shoved in front of six gears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIv9-TEUoSY

v12 sounds better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it really kinda does

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i really like powersliding

like, a lot. it's one of my favorite things ever

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Jonny 290 posted:

the contenders:

i'm the bottle of code red

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

they're barking up the wrong tree if they want good 0-60 times and are looking at luxury cars

hmm yes let's try and get the maximum acceleration out of this thing loaded with leather and paddding and speakers and sound dampening

my 2012 A6 3.0T should get in the 5.5-6 range and my wife's 2.0T A5 gets about 6, and those are hauling around plenty of sweet features

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

my 2012 A6 3.0T should get in the 5.5-6 range and my wife's 2.0T A5 gets about 6, and those are hauling around plenty of sweet features

just to piss off jonny, my 1988 honda 650 hovers +/- 5 seconds depending on if i took a poo poo before i ride and it gets 61 miles per gallon

a modern 650 can do 20% better, easy

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 7, 2015

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

watching the commercial I was thinking exactly "no way someone who could afford a house like that would drive anything less than an a8 or 7-series"

then again, where do the remaining few idiots with a complex about foreign cars live?

Detroit.

You're assuming there's any kind of consistency to commercials or television in general about the cost of depicted homes compared to anything else. a commercial can depict whatever the creators want it to.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the s5 is the techdouche vehicle of choice in SF if you don't want a tesla

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

some people are really hosed up about buying foreign cars still, its so loving goofy

cop cars are always american which is correct because i love american cars and american cops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lest we forget: the best sounding car in the world is a loving volvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Vh0eidjUg

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they didn't pull it off. they got paid less than their parents, and they were much more productive. they didn't get screwed as hard as we are, but they got screwed pretty hard. the 70s slump was brutal. what's important is how people respond

boomers parents got hosed by the depression and answered it with the "new deal" and "great society"

baby boomers got screwed by deindustrialization, but their reaction to the screw-job was the reagan revolution and "gently caress you; got mine"

actually both responses were the same it was just pre and post civil rights act. both groups were white people helping white people by punishing minorities. social security didn't apply to black people in the beginning. after black people were included as citizens the social safety net was used to strangle and demean them. you can have xenophobic social welfare or you can have racial progress. you can't have both (see Scandinavia vs the U.S.)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i too prioritize zero-to-sixty performance, sweet power slides, and loud vroom-vroom noises in the cramped metal box that conveys me down tight, crowded city streets at 30mph with frequent stops and an occasional jaunt onto the highway where everyone drives either 40mph or 80mph, never gives any sort of signal before abruptly changing lanes right in front of you, and the traffic randomly slows to 20mph for no discernible reason every twenty minutes

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
i got a speeding ticket

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the only thing I don't like about the mazda3 is the stupid tablet display infotainment bullshit

great car otherwise though

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jonny 290 posted:

i think there are some italian or german luxo flagship whips that cost more than the entirety of Detroit would right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZRHEJHS2k&t=27s

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

i too prioritize zero-to-sixty performance, sweet power slides, and loud vroom-vroom noises in the cramped metal box that conveys me down tight, crowded city streets at 30mph with frequent stops and an occasional jaunt onto the highway where everyone drives either 40mph or 80mph, never gives any sort of signal before abruptly changing lanes right in front of you, and the traffic randomly slows to 20mph for no discernible reason every twenty minutes

this is why I bought a hatchback crossover instead of an m3, right here. SF is a terrible terrible place to drive a car:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Main Paineframe posted:

hahaha, car commuter spotted.

Take the bus, dumbass. save the car for the weekends

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i remember when we were supposed to have light rail in florida

but governor skeletor decided a $2 billion federal grant would be cooperating with the enemy and rejected the obama welfare handout

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

but governor skeletor decided a $2 billion federal grant would be cooperating with the enemy and rejected the obama welfare handout

same people will turn around and bitch about sherman's neckties and demand reparations for their paw paw's plantation, too

i'm like

ok guys, there it is

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

at least you drug tested those welfare recipients

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SXSW stories starting to ramp up...

DC spending $500k to "get noticed" or some poo poo

quote:

District officials are slated to spend more than $475,000 during their visit to South by Southwest in March — nearly triple last year’s budget — making the five-day trip to the music, film and innovation festival one of the city’s most-expensive technology outreach initiatives to date.

More than half the budget would be used to convert a restaurant near Austin’s convention center into a “We DC” lounge and work space during the day, and a party venue for attendees to socialize at night. The rental and food costs would be $251,500 over five days.

Economic development officials say expanding the budget was necessary to stand out among the growing number of cities and countries that attend the festival vying for entrepreneurs’ attention. South By, as it’s known colloquially, offers an opportunity to present the District as a place for burgeoning artists and technophiles, they say.

“It helps growing companies feel like the perception is we’re part of a hot, growing corridor here,” he said. “That helps with attracting talent, and that helps with raising capital.”

The city’s restaurant-turned-hangout space, dubbed the We DC House, is projected to draw an estimated 3,500 visitors, said Tiffany Thacker, the partnership’s director of business attraction, technology and innovation.

“It’s a tough conference to be heard because there’s so much going on,” Thacker said. “If you want to be heard, you have to be as loud as your competitors.”

lol they are just paying for a bunch of 'treps to have internet and get drunk

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

at least you drug tested those welfare recipients

that was different, that was a handout to his wife's medical company. that's perfectly okay and he said it himself, he runs the state like how he runs his business.

quote:

On March 19, 1997, investigators from the FBI, the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of Health and Human Services served search warrants at Columbia/HCA facilities in El Paso and on dozens of doctors with suspected ties to the company.[7] Following the raids, the Columbia/HCA board of directors forced Rick Scott to resign as chairman and CEO.[8] He was paid a settlement of $9.88 million and left with 10 million shares of stock worth over $350 million, mostly from his initial investment.[9][10] In 1999, Columbia/HCA changed its name back to HCA, Inc. HCA also admitted fraudulently billing Medicare and other health programs by inflating the seriousness of diagnoses and to giving doctors partnerships in company hospitals as a kickback for the doctors referring patients to HCA. They filed false cost reports, fraudulently billing Medicare for home health care workers, and paid kickbacks in the sale of home health agencies and to doctors to refer patients. In addition, they gave doctors "loans" never intended to be repaid, free rent, free office furniture, and free drugs from hospital pharmacies.[11][12]

After Scott stepped down, Frist Jr. returned as chairman and CEO. He called on longtime friend and colleague Jack O. Bovender, Jr. to help him turn the company around. Frist and Bovender, who became CEO in 2001, pulled off what Fortune magazine called a remarkable corporate rescue.[13] In settlements reached in 2000 and 2002, Columbia/HCA pleaded guilty to 14 felonies. They admitted systematically overcharging the government by claiming marketing costs as reimbursable, striking illegal deals with home care agencies, and filing false data about use of hospital space.

In late 2002, HCA agreed to pay the U.S. government $631 million, plus interest, and pay $17.5 million to state Medicaid agencies, in addition to $250 million paid up to that point to resolve outstanding Medicare expense claims.[14] In all, civil lawsuits cost HCA more than $2 billion to settle, by far the largest fraud settlement in US history.[15] The name subsequently reverted to "Hospital Corporation of America." HCA abandoned the use of its name in its home market and instead promotes its Nashville hospitals under the TriStar brand.

scott escaped jail by pleading the fifth something like 70 times during the investigation

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so do people in florida just shrug and go "eh, florida" like everyone else in the us?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well he won re-election against a guy equally as slimy but politically instead of morally so probably

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

that was different, that was a handout to his wife's medical company. that's perfectly okay and he said it himself, he runs the state like how he runs his business.

scott escaped jail by pleading the fifth something like 70 times during the investigation

seriously can we have that revolution sooner rather than later, please?

i'll make the wiki

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony posted:

SXSW stories starting to ramp up...

DC spending $500k to "get noticed" or some poo poo

lol they are just paying for a bunch of 'treps to have internet and get drunk

it's pretty funny how fundamentally the guys pushing these initiatives are misunderstanding everything. we already have shitloads of tech workers here; what determines what they do is the city itself. so in DC everything is defense contracting, consulting, etc and there's a shitload of money to be had.

you're not gonna override east coast suit & tie corporate culture with a few Internet cafes and a half-hearted tax break to poor college kids. actually now that I think about it I don't even think these guys even know what it is they're trying to accomplish.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necc0 posted:

it's pretty funny how fundamentally the guys pushing these initiatives are misunderstanding everything. we already have shitloads of tech workers here; what determines what they do is the city itself. so in DC everything is defense contracting, consulting, etc and there's a shitload of money to be had.

you're not gonna override east coast suit & tie corporate culture with a few Internet cafes and a half-hearted tax break to poor college kids. actually now that I think about it I don't even think these guys even know what it is they're trying to accomplish.

they want to snag the tech workers smart enough to parse the technical terms but dumb enough to buy into the social/culture potemkin they've set up. good docile MIC code monkeys that are in too deep by the time they realize the frying pan's hot. anybody that sees through the bullshit wouldnt be a good brown-killing drone coder

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

I think they fully understand that they get to party in Austin for two weeks on someone else's dime.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you can believe it there's people trying to do bay area/sf promotion and outreach the same way, I assume funded by real estate developers because they're the only ones who benefit from trying to cram more people in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wait people are representing the bay area at sxsw?

do these same people go to towns near the Sahara and talk about how great water is?

• Locked thread