Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Herr Direktor posted:

Turn the controller off once you start the movie? :shrug:
So no. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
The people who think achievements are loving stupid are the ones who want them to mean more than they actually do.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

So no. Got it.

So ya actually. That's how you don't see that notification.

revolther
May 27, 2008
There's an obvious fix to trophy's being pointless too.

Developers add achievements with stupid little clip art and clever names, then nobody ever sees them or cares. Meanwhile Sony tries to sell little avatars, OR...

Each trophy earned, unlocks it's clip art as a selectable avatar, and hell a little subtitle option with the trophy's title/witticism. Normal api calls to insert a players PSNid pull a configurable (Avatar)PSNid(Title) string. Suddenly memorable or silly trophies and their avatars/titles are integrated as bragging rights network wide.

People go "ooh I want that", compare or look up trophies, play games more. And they could still sell avatars for the instant gratification types.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you care about or are proud of trophies i am embarrassed for you and i hope you start to value yourself and your time more in the future.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Real hurthling! posted:

if you care about or are proud of trophies i am embarrassed for you and i hope you start to value yourself and your time more in the future.

The bulk of my precious Shadow of Mordor trophies were achieved while I was on the clock :woop:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

As long as I can turn achievement notifications off and never see them, I get along with them just fine.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

revolther posted:

Developers add achievements with stupid little clip art and clever names, then nobody ever sees them or cares. Meanwhile Sony tries to sell little avatars, OR...

Each trophy earned, unlocks it's clip art as a selectable avatar, and hell a little subtitle option with the trophy's title/witticism. Normal api calls to insert a players PSNid pull a configurable (Avatar)PSNid(Title) string. Suddenly memorable or silly trophies and their avatars/titles are integrated as bragging rights network wide.

People go "ooh I want that", compare or look up trophies, play games more. And they could still sell avatars for the instant gratification types.
Ubisoft games have uPlay points which can be used to unlock whatever. Watch_Dogs had a silly Gold plated pistol and an OP car. FC4 had the robocop pistol?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Croccers posted:

FC4 had the robocop pistol?
And painted pachyderms!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Didn't Sony have some weird auction site that used trophies? You could make bids according to how many gold trophies you had or something like that.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Now I remember Yakuza 4's slow start. It took until the second character to start cooking with gas.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Static Rook posted:

Didn't Sony have some weird auction site that used trophies? You could make bids according to how many gold trophies you had or something like that.

I think that was just during the PS4 launch.

revolther posted:

This is a good idea, the Xbox 360 sort of has this where achievements unlock avatars.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is a good idea, the Xbox 360 sort of has this where achievements unlock avatars.
That depends on the game though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I have never once gotten all of the achievements/trophies in a game but I think they're pretty cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sure wish apotheon didn't crash randomly

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

if you have ever bragged about platinuming a game you probably weren't hugged enough as a child

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arcadey games like Resogun, I like platinums (with reasonable achievements) because that's a good sign that you're done with the game. Story games, though, I don't really care. Especially for open world games where it's all just padding

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Platchat summary ITT: My momentary diversion on the road to the grave is superior to your momentary diversion on the road to the grave

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ugh. Who would ever plat a game. Pointless *Reads favorite book twice, three maybe four times*

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Whelp, can't find a copy of Akiba's Trip 2 at my local shops even though I know it'll be overpriced, guess I'll just have to wait for a digital release down under

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

o.m. 94 posted:

Platchat summary ITT: My momentary diversion on the road to the grave is superior to your momentary diversion on the road to the grave

o.m. 94 posted:

Ugh. Who would ever plat a game. Pointless *Reads favorite book twice, three maybe four times*

You need to show up more in every thread I visit.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

o.m. 94 posted:

yeah but the mario 3 manual isn't very long so you can't really compare that to platting a game

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bunky posted:

if you have ever bragged about platinuming a game you probably weren't hugged enough as a child

The only games I've platinum'd are ones that you get for playing no more than about 10 hours each (The Walking Dead and Infamous), suck it nerds.

*spends 4 hours per day reading games forum*

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Gann Jerrod posted:

I was just surprised to see a non-diarrhea related post from revolther. Good idea though. A few games have done stuff like this for multiplayer ladder ranking (Blizzard and Bungie games come to mind) and most recently DA:I and Destiny did it for multiplayer achievements. It's a neat way to give people trinkets for playing or mastering games and might result in a friends list that isn't the same 20 avatars repeated.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

The only games I've platinum'd are ones that you get for playing no more than about 10 hours each (The Walking Dead and Infamous), suck it nerds.

*spends 4 hours per day reading games forum*

wait, which one is you

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

o.m. 94 posted:

If you post three more times that will make 1886 posts. 1886 or in other words, The Order. And the cycle repeats...

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 7, 2015

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

o.m. 94 posted:

Yes the spiritual gratification that comes from reading Cat's Cardle surely pales in comparison to killing a bajillion trillion zombies in Dead Rising or crafting every item in Kingdom Hearts. Surely.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Doflamingo posted:

Yes the spiritual gratification that comes from reading Cat's Cardle surely pales in comparison to killing a bajillion trillion zombies in Dead Rising or crafting every item in Kingdom Hearts. Surely.

agreed

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

To any fellow aussies needing a controller, ozgameshop has the blue ones on sale this week: http://www.ozgameshop.com/ps4-accessories/official-sony-dualshock-4-wave-blue-controller-ps4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dPB posted:

Whelp, can't find a copy of Akiba's Trip 2 at my local shops even though I know it'll be overpriced, guess I'll just have to wait for a digital release down under

Do you not have Amazon in Australia?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Stux posted:

yeah but the mario 3 manual isn't very long so you can't really compare that to platting a game

:golfclap:

This seriously needs more love. First time in a while that I've legit lol'd.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

dPB posted:

PS4 version comes out on the 12th.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/ps4/akibas-trip-undead-undressed/678341/

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you not have Amazon in Australia?

There's no Amazon Australia, but you can import. Right now, with the cheapest international games shipping, AT2 would be about US$40+16, which would likely come out to about AU$70.

So, no real difference to this.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Depends if you like books mate

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

People need to value their time more and post on internet forums about video games instead of playing video games.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Book's are gay, but, games aren't, even though gay is pronounced when you say "game".

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i will laugh at your platinum throphy, but fight to the death for your right to platinum a game

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

o.m. 94 posted:

Depends if you like books mate

If you don't like books there are much bigger issues going on with your life.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Real hurthling! posted:

sure wish apotheon didn't crash randomly

I wonder how common this is as it happened to me about 5 minutes in and I haven't touched it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

EZipperelli posted:

:golfclap:

This seriously needs more love. First time in a while that I've legit lol'd.

Stux is Our Lady Chie's representative on Earth, so it's no wonder his pronouncements are so wise.

• Locked thread