Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pycckuu posted:

Haha I love how oriental they made them look. These dudes are downright sinister!

hah yes, they look like undead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mods please make this my new avatar so I can elevate my trolling in DnD to the next level. I have been training my posting in the hyperbolic time chamber, and with glorious leader at my side I will have no equal.

Hogge Wild posted:

hah yes, they look like undead

They look like they are out to rape the Polish women.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
I'd have the same face too

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
already hit up Book Barn but figured I'd ask here too what are some good nonfiction books about the soviet union? I'm especially interested in the Cold War period but anything worthwhile is worth suggesting

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

thathonkey posted:

already hit up Book Barn but figured I'd ask here too what are some good nonfiction books about the soviet union? I'm especially interested in the Cold War period but anything worthwhile is worth suggesting

Lucky for you, I took a course on the Soviet Union a few years ago and I still have the syllabus lying around in my computer! Here are some of the readings the professor assigned:

quote:

Geoffrey Hosking, A History of the Soviet Union, 1917-1991, Final Edition (Fontana Press, 1990, out of print but usually available second-hand)

and/or

Robert Service, A History of Modern Russia. From Tsarism to the Twenty-First Century, Third Edition (Harvard University Press, 2009)

and/or

Ronald Grigor Suny, The Soviet Experiment. Russia, the USSR, and the Successor States (Oxford University Press, 1998)
[...]
Mikhail Bulgakov, The Fatal Eggs (Translit Publishing, 2010) [note: this is one's science fiction but Bulgakov is satirizing early Soviet culture so you may be interested]

Vasily Grossman, Everything Flows (NYRB Classics, 2009)

Viktor Shklovsky, Sentimental Journey: Memoirs, 1917-1922 (Dalkey Archive Press, 2004)

Anna Politkovskaya, Putin’s Russia. Life in a Failing Democracy (Holt Paperbacks, 2007)

Stephen Kotkin. Armageddon Averted. The Soviet Collapse, 1970-2000, Updated edition (Oxford University Press, 2008)
[...]
Elizabeth A. Wood, The Baba and the Comrade. Gender and Politics in Revolutionary Russia (Indiana University Press, 1997)
[...]
Simon Sebag Montefiore, Stalin. The Court of the Red Tsar (2004)

Lynne Viola, The Unknown Gulag. The Lost World of Stalin’s Special Settlements (2007)
[...]
Stephen Kotkin, Magnetic Mountain. Stalinism as a Civilization (University of California Press)

Steven A. Barnes, Death and Redemption. The Gulag and the Shaping of Soviet Society (Princeton University Press, 2011)

Fyodor Mochulsky, Gulag Boss. A Soviet Memoir (Oxford University Press, 2011)

That should be enough to get you started, right? The last several readings aren't quite Cold War-era, but they're still worth reading IMO.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

If you are interested in fiction written by Russian/Soviet authors, here are some few suggestions. Be warned, however, as they may give you some powerful feels.

Pretty much anything by Vasiliy Shukshin. He wrote a lot of short stories about rural life in USSR, and rural vs city dynamic. They are mostly very good. 9/10 feels
Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov. A book about cossacks who went from fighting in WW1 to fighting in the revolution. Part 1 is 11/10 feels (ultimate feels), Part 2 is less good but still OK.
Hurramabad by Andrey Volos. It's a collection of short stories about the collapse of USSR, taking place in Tajikistan. Some people say its the last worthwhile piece of Russian literature, comparable to Quiet Flows the Don and War and Peace. Feels rating is off the charts: incredible feels.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Do russian women use tampons or pads?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
thanks yall! I now have way more than I'll ever be able to read :v:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BONGHITZ posted:

bear thumbs

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Stentorian Hoot posted:

I have a print of this but mine looks a little more :pwn:

Lol where did you get that? They made everybidy white

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All the subtlety and nuance is gone. It's the Dogs Playing Poker version, that's how crappier it is.

It's like the print was made by that lady who painted over the image of Jesus in that church.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Are those soldier ladies any good in a fire fight? They look nice and all but I wonder

Our female counterparts were homely, but those broads could put some fire downrange, I tell you what

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Does Putin Have Aspergers?

The Pentagon says yes!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

just substitute former soviet countries with trains and it all makes sense.

I like Ukraine, Ukraine must stay in my country collection.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
he finds the repetition soothing

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

First time he's seen breasts since he quit nursing at 9 years old

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

either, if any

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

BONGHITZ posted:

Neither. Adidas hasn't cornered that market yet.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Russian cat smuggling system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xakSj4SoJBU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

blunt for century posted:

First time he's seen breasts since he quit nursing 9 minutes ago

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

blunt for century posted:

First time he's seen breasts since he quit nursing at 9 years old

Said the moderator of forums.somethingawful.com

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
is putin married? does he have kids?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

He was once married and has two daughters.

A funny note is after the divorce his ex-wife was basically wiped out of history similar to the old soviet days.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/29/top-secret-family-life-vladimir-putin-265425.html

Unlike western politicians Putin took great pains to keep his family out of the public eye.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 7, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

after he divorced, one newspaper went with headline 'Putin has transferred to manual control over the country'

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

etalian posted:

He was once married and has two daughters.

A funny note is after the divorce his ex-wife was basically wiped out of history similar to the old soviet days.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/08/29/top-secret-family-life-vladimir-putin-265425.html

Unlike western politicians Putin took great pains to keep his family out of the public eye.

One of his daughters went to the Anglo-American School of Moscow. At least that was the rumor when I went there.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 7, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Said the moderator of forums.somethingawful.com

i'll have you know I quit nursing no later than at age 7, and furthermore

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Kavak posted:

Like hell that's a real poll.

The saddest part of Putin's leadership is that he is really, really popular in places that aren't Moscow. There is a lot of misplaced nostalgia for strong soviet leaders, and he seems to have tapped into that.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
someone please unironically defend putin

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Boris this is the 3rd time youve been late this month because of cat troubles.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MoreLikeTen posted:

The saddest part of Putin's leadership is that he is really, really popular in places that aren't Moscow. There is a lot of misplaced nostalgia for strong soviet leaders, and he seems to have tapped into that.

Putin is best understood as the Reagan to Yeltsin's Carter.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

matrix ripoff posted:

someone please unironically defend putin

I won't go that far, but I can see why some Russians don't mind him. I was working part-time in Moscow in 2013, and even in just one year, I did see clear improvements in town.

It was probably not because of Putin - probably even despite him - but I did see the part of Moscow where I was working improving during just that one year. Buildings were getting renovated, roads improved, traffic improved (they started introducing paid parking if I'm not much mistaken). All in all an improvement over my first car-ride in Moscow, which was in a taxi which was trying to overtake in the 5th lane on a 3-lane high-way, before the driver decided to say gently caress it and turn the car around in the middle of the highway to go back and try another route.

I was told that just 10 years ago, that part of town (near the Семёновская metro station), was gun city where you wouldn't go when dark, yet when I was there it felt completely safe. It did have weird things such as old women selling ice cream on the street in a decidedly non-touristy part of town in the middle of February, which I found a bit odd what with the meters of snow decorating the gardens.

Sure, it wasn't Putin's gain, but it did happen during his presidency, and I'm sure if you get force-fed that in all media you end up believing the very straight and manly man fighting bears in a very hetro-sexual way while half-naked and all oiled up did it.

Also, if you haven't checked out the Taylor Switft thread, it sports this beautiful piece of Russian space technology:

R.S. Gumby posted:

This poo poo took me days to make, but I just want to be able to say I posted in the TSwift thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MoreLikeTen posted:

It's basically the brilliance of modern image control/cult of personality.

Even US conservatives point to US as a strongman dream leader who's unlike the weak girly coward Obama.

klafbang posted:

It was probably not because of Putin - probably even despite him - but I did see the part of Moscow where I was working improving during just that one year. Buildings were getting renovated, roads improved, traffic improved (they started introducing paid parking if I'm not much mistaken). All in all an improvement over my first car-ride in Moscow, which was in a taxi which was trying to overtake in the 5th lane on a 3-lane high-way, before the driver decided to say gently caress it and turn the car around in the middle of the highway to go back and try another route.

Most of it is due to how the commodity bubble due to inflated energy prices created a boom for the economy, especially for rich rear end in a top hat cities like Moscow.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 7, 2015

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Yeah Moscow is not at all representative of how Russia is. If anything, there's an correlation between Moscow getting cleaned up/looking good and the rural areas of the country sliding back into the dark ages.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Present posted:

Yeah Moscow is not at all representative of how Russia is. If anything, there's an correlation between Moscow getting cleaned up/looking good and the rural areas of the country sliding back into the dark ages.

Moscow and St. Petersburg are to the rest of Russia as Belgium was to the Congo. The rest of the country basically exists to be exploited by the center, so if things are looking up in Moscow, you can be pretty drat sure that wealth has been extracted from Siberia and then carted off to the West.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Present posted:

Moscow is basically a slick manicured modern day Potemkin village that doesn't reflect the almost medieval existence in the rest of the country.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Present posted:

Very much also my impression. Also quite clear there: everybody wants to move to Moscow from outside, most services were separated into a Russia and a Moscow part (e.g., cell phone service), my health insurance was only valid in Moscow, the average salary in Moscow was three times the average salary outside (30000 ₽/month vs 10000 ₽/month).

Makes me wonder about this, though…

MoreLikeTen posted:

Sure, strong leader. Perhaps even a bit of propaganda. But why would people still vote for him outside when they can see the rick folks getting richer and themselves getting poorer? Maybe a wish to someday themselves get to the Capital and live like kings? Very poor kings. Moscow is still only around 8% of the population…

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

klafbang posted:

Sure, strong leader. Perhaps even a bit of propaganda. But why would people still vote for him outside when they can see the rick folks getting richer and themselves getting poorer? Maybe a wish to someday themselves get to the Capital and live like kings? Very poor kings. Moscow is still only around 8% of the population…

Because propaganda works and the opposition to Putin is heavily fragmented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

klafbang posted:

smart rural russians. pick two

• Locked thread