Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Outside of Animated Shockwave and G1 Shockwave, every other shockwave has had a real lovely alt mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Taint Reaper posted:

Outside of Animated Shockwave and G1 Shockwave, every other shockwave has had a real lovely alt mode.

What about FOC Shockwave or the Alternity/Binaltech Shockwave?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Or Satellite Of Love Shockwave?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

drrockso20 posted:

What about FOC Shockwave or the Alternity/Binaltech Shockwave?

FOC shockwave is really tiny and forms a vague thing, Binaltech Shockwave is a jazz retool.

Shockwave clearly is not Jazz.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Binaltech Shockwave is the best Shockwave toy, though. Real talk.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Binaltech Shockwave is the best Shockwave toy, though. Real talk.

I dunno the body is way too much like an Autobot. He's also missing his trademark chevron chest. His head however is the best Shockwave head.

Not saying that Shockwave can't be a car, but a normal earth car like that really doesn't jive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sainsburys in the UK has 2 RiD2015 deluxes for £20 which is pretty good. I can see Bumblebee, Strongarm, Grimlock and Steeljaw, who should I get if any?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Sainsburys in the UK has 2 RiD2015 deluxes for £20 which is pretty good. I can see Bumblebee, Strongarm, Grimlock and Steeljaw, who should I get if any?

General opinion seems to favor Grimlock as the best out of them, with Bumblebee second. The other two aren't that good.

I watched Peaugh's video on wave 2's Drift and he also seems cool too, if not very Drift-like. He should've been Alpha Trion, or be remolded into Bludgeon. Also I love TFs that can store their swords on their waists or hips instead of the back.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Doctor posted:

Grimlock is apparently good, the other are kinda mixed.

I would hold off because Wave 2 of Combiner Wars is coming and the leader class figures will set you back around 40 to 50.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can't wait to see what's on shelves when I get back to the US in March.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Keldroc posted:

Or Satellite Of Love Shockwave?

Uhh, excuse me but that's obviously Shockblast, sir.

:v:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Here's a pictorial review on Leader Megs. Trigger Warning: TFW2005.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The_Doctor posted:

I can't wait to see what's on shelves when I get back to the US in March.

Some stores have a few Rattraps and Tankors left over, and of course lots of Hero Mashers!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Taint Reaper posted:

FOC shockwave is really tiny and forms a vague thing, Binaltech Shockwave is a jazz retool.
FOC Shockwave is really solid as a figure, size is irrelevant, and his vehicle mode reminds me of the Lunar Limo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Captain Invictus posted:

FOC Shockwave is really solid as a figure, size is irrelevant, and his vehicle mode reminds me of the Lunar Limo.

Considering that other bots who formed a human sized object all got better alt modes and figures like Megatron, Soundwave, and Blaster. It's pretty unacceptable to have Shockwave be given a myriad of inferior designs.

In FOC Vehicle mode he is just slightly longer than Legends powerglide in gun mode and can turn into a real plane. Now that's a Legends figure where as Shockwave was made at the height of teeny tiny deluxes.

Shockwave needs a good voyager or maybe even a Leader Class figure. if Cyclonus is getting a figure certainly Shockwave is coming.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 7, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm not sure I'd call Powerglide's gun mode "an actual gun". Then again none of Shockwave's altmodes has ever been an "actual gun" either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FOC Shockwave holds together with more than a hope and a prayer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Taint Reaper posted:

Considering that other bots who formed a human sized object all got better alt modes and figures like Megatron, Soundwave, and Blaster.
Funny enough, he was never "human sized". He was literally a gigantic flying space-gun in G1, there was no mass-shifting.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Technically was Megatron ever human-sized in the G1 cartoon? The general imagery is Megatron being used by Optimus Prime or Starscream.

And yeah, Shockwave's gun mode was the size that Bruticus comfortably used him when he invaded Cybertron. And then ... stuffed him in Onslaught's cannon which stuck out of back and fired him into space...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiderdrake posted:

Technically was Megatron ever human-sized in the G1 cartoon? The general imagery is Megatron being used by Optimus Prime or Starscream.

And yeah, Shockwave's gun mode was the size that Bruticus comfortably used him when he invaded Cybertron. And then ... stuffed him in Onslaught's cannon which stuck out of back and fired him into space...

There's been a fair amount of Megatron being used by humans, yes. I feel like there was a not-Fidel Castro who had him at one point.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I'm not sure I'd call Powerglide's gun mode "an actual gun". Then again none of Shockwave's altmodes has ever been an "actual gun" either.

Yeah Powerglides gun mode is pretty bad but he is amazing looking, mounted on MP Grimlocks neck, as he rides into battle.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

Eh I guess so.

They still went the route of making Shockwave's alt modes vague tanks like Megatron though.

If he does get a CW Voyager I hope they make him something crazy. Like a Quadruped combiner similar in shape to Metagross but with a massive gun on it's back so he can be a walking artillery battery. He is a mad scientist after all.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Spiderdrake posted:

G1 Megatron is a Targetmaster that got sick and tired of being used as a tool.

Discuss.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Eh I guess so.

They still went the route of making Shockwave's alt modes vague tanks like Megatron though.

If he does get a CW Voyager I hope they make him something crazy. Like a Quadruped combiner similar in shape to Metagross but with a massive gun on it's back so he can be a walking artillery battery. He is a mad scientist after all.

http://tfu.info/2006/Decepticon/Scrapmetal/scrapmetal.htm

:confused:

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Digital barbarians hordes work quickly.

*edit*

Damaged goods take time to process and Silverbolt should be back up soon since it looks like entire cases were damaged.

Thanks for the heads up. Managed to grab an Optimus for $20. Haven't seen any others pop up since I've been looking though.

Captain Invictus posted:

There's been a fair amount of Megatron being used by humans, yes. I feel like there was a not-Fidel Castro who had him at one point.

I know he did it a bunch in the old Marvel comics. I feel like he must have in the show, but my memory is fuzzy.

Silhouette posted:

G1 Megatron is a Targetmaster that got sick and tired of being used as a tool.

Discuss.

Aren't we all like targetmasters as long as there's some big bossman running our lives. Bending us in half and using us like futuristic laser weapons. I mean, if you really think about. Fight the power, dude. :350:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Some pictures of the re:master or w/e series MakeToys put up

Not that Code is perfect but I'm not really feeling it at all. Also it seems to have the display flip down gimmick, which I wish they'd leave in the 80s. I didn't post the from the back view but it looks like fiddley crap festival the minute you get from the front 180 degrees. Ugh.

Not feeling either of these as well. The little googley eyes on TFC hound give him quite the expressive chest, though. I wonder if MT is even going to bother with Guardia.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think Chromedome looks great!

Something is off with Hound, and my guess is they toned down their Maketoys "style" to make a more MP aesthetic. I think they may have toned it down too much, to the point of it being almost bland.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

Not that Code is perfect but I'm not really feeling it at all. Also it seems to have the display flip down gimmick, which I wish they'd leave in the 80s. I didn't post the from the back view but it looks like fiddley crap festival the minute you get from the front 180 degrees. Ugh.

Not feeling either of these as well. The little googley eyes on TFC hound give him quite the expressive chest, though. I wonder if MT is even going to bother with Guardia.
For what it's worth, the smaller headlights are slightly more accurate to a Willys Jeep, but neither is really quite right. I kinda feel like getting an Alternator/Binaltech Hound is probably a better bet for a Hound in that scale. He's probably one of the better figures from that line, honestly.

Chromedome looks pretty cool, though.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I pulled out my BT Hound the other day thinking the same thing. That bot mode has not aged well.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Function X is my Headmaster line, and I don't like Maketoys' obsession with fiddly overdesigning, so I won't be getting that, but that is a great-looking Chromedome right there.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That Chromedome looks vile but I quite like the MT Hound there. Still, the only Autobots I'd get a not-MP for at this point are Jazz and Sunstreaker, I'm fine waiting for however long it takes for anyone else.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Keldroc posted:

and I don't like Maketoys' obsession with fiddly overdesigning
I shoulda posted this with the rest, yeah

edit: I guess I'm just disappointed by the trifecta of where it is probably going to be priced, how so much of it is barely better than or worse than Code and the fact an IDW style Chromedome felt like a job tailored for MT given Quantron's willingness to use different alt-modes.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 7, 2015

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Chromedome looks great, and Maketoys Hound looks good but I can wait for Hasbro to get around to him.

TFC's Ironhide and Hound are poor attempts at fitting in the MP line.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
No pics of Maketoys Not-Inferno? He's the one I'm really interested in. I had the original figure in the 80's. Prowl, Inferno, Grimlock, Sludge, Blurr, Astrotrain and Blitzwing were the only non-combiner toys I had as a kid, and Blot, Nosecone, Afterburner, Scavenger, Bonecrusher and Mixmaster didn't... really form anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
why is anyone buying or making a non-IDW chromedome in The Year of Our Luigi 2015?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

why is anyone buying or making a non-IDW chromedome in The Year of Our Luigi 2015?

The third party combiner era is over, so now it's a third party land rush to see who can become the dominant maker of unofficial Masterpiece figures. They're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

At this point I have to give the edge to Maketoys, especially if their Inferno ends up looking good.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Chromedome looks more like a DeLorean than the G1 toy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

The third party combiner era is over, so now it's a third party land rush to see who can become the dominant maker of unofficial Masterpiece figures. They're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

At this point I have to give the edge to Maketoys, especially if their Inferno ends up looking good.

By "third party combiner era" you mean... the combiner wars, right? RIGHT?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Chromedome looks more like a DeLorean than the G1 toy.

He looks like a de-blockified version of the G1 car. The lower profile does result in a DeLorean-ish sweep to the windshield, but "more like a DeLorean"? No.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

He looks like a de-blockified version of the G1 car. The lower profile does result in a DeLorean-ish sweep to the windshield, but "more like a DeLorean"? No.

I dunno other than the grill being slightly different, the rest of the body profile is very similar. If he just had tail vents in the back he could be easily mistaken for the BTTF DeLorean because that had a huge brick structure on the hood as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I can definitely see the DeLorean sensibilities, particularly in the rear slope.