Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lightning Jim posted:

The US has had UFO technology since 1947 and yet China's doing so much better with it? WHAT IS OUR GOVERNMENT DOING?!?

Letting the Chinese play around with it so they can sell it back to us cheaper than we could do it ourselves, like everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
This is one of the most funny things I've read of late:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2507377/Humans-NOT-come-Earth--sunburn-bad-backs-pain-labour-prove-expert-claims.html

quote:

Humans do NOT come from Earth – and sunburn, bad backs and pain during labour prove it, expert claims
A U.S. ecologist says conditions such as bad backs and sunburn suggest humans did not evolve alongside other life on Earth
In a new book, Dr Ellis Silver says aliens put humans our planet as recently as tens of thousands of years ago
He suggests the Earth might be a prison planet, since humans seem to be a naturally violent species and are here until we learn to behave ourselves

I mean, it can't be that evolution isn't perfect, and that we're the first 100% bipedal mammal specials on the planet. No, it's because we're not of Earth origin, and the "humans are naturally aggressive" part of what sounds like this is a new-agey alien thing. (And the fact our DNA very closely matches other species on the planet that points to us being Terran, especially our genetic similarities to primates)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably that would mean black people do come from earth because they don't get sunburn?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Everyone knows sunburnt people can't reproduce. That's why nobody gets pregnant on spring break.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lightning Jim posted:

This is one of the most funny things I've read of late:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2507377/Humans-NOT-come-Earth--sunburn-bad-backs-pain-labour-prove-expert-claims.html

I mean, it can't be that evolution isn't perfect, and that we're the first 100% bipedal mammal specials on the planet. No, it's because we're not of Earth origin, and the "humans are naturally aggressive" part of what sounds like this is a new-agey alien thing. (And the fact our DNA very closely matches other species on the planet that points to us being Terran, especially our genetic similarities to primates)

Put 300 humans in a plane and fly them over the Atlantic. Count the number of survivors.

Put 300 chimps in a plane and fly them over the Atlantic. Count the number of survivors.

I'd say we're doing ok.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blowfish posted:

Put 300 humans in a plane and fly them over the Atlantic. Count the number of survivors.

Put 300 chimps in a plane and fly them over the Atlantic. Count the number of survivors.

I'd say we're doing ok.

Well, technically, if you're including the pilots, and you're using average samples for each, the death toll would probably be quite similar.

If you're going to select for airline pilots in the human sample, you obviously need to do the same for the chimps.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

OwlFancier posted:

Well, technically, if you're including the pilots, and you're using average samples for each, the death toll would probably be quite similar.

If you're going to select for airline pilots in the human sample, you obviously need to do the same for the chimps.

I think the point is that we can survive being cooped up in a box with strangers for hours without killing any of them, contradicting the "humans are naturally aggressive" thing.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

L@@K what I found!

BIG HEADED SCIENTISTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ia9CZyGCh0

Theres a whole other level of crazy going on that makes even the regular "Reptiles control the earth" guys seem sane.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Aaaand this is even better. The moon isn't real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSqADAur-w

(Bonus: The craziest song at about 27:20 )

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have to admit I've heard the exact same arguments about humans not being native to Earth many, many times with much the same points raised.

This was mostly at parties by people who were as high as gently caress at the time though, so I tend to take them with a grain of salt.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably that would mean black people do come from earth because they don't get sunburn?

Mississippi used that "fact" to justify slavery in their Declaration of Secession. Even among the rest of the Confederacy Mississippi stood out as hilariously stupid and racist. That aside, black people actually can get sunburn.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

duck monster posted:

L@@K what I found!

BIG HEADED SCIENTISTS

Theres a whole other level of crazy going on that makes even the regular "Reptiles control the earth" guys seem sane.

I like that "Scientist!!!" is in the title, as though that's supposed to mean something

Bow-street Bastard
Mar 27, 2010

duck monster posted:

L@@K what I found!

BIG HEADED SCIENTISTS

What I like most is how the super evolved, space travelling, pinnacles of intelligence and emotion, still give their daughters away in marriages for power and alliance like 12th century fuedal lords.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's just straight up Nation of Islam historical teachings. I'm concerned some of you may not have read The Autobiography of Malcolm X, please see to this immediately.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

NOI is whack as poo poo and basically nobody knows. Just regular civil rights activists that believe in loving ufos and white people being made by devil lizards in mad science labs.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Nation of Islam creation myth makes plenty of sense as a means of countering white supremacist narratives about blacks being inherently backwards.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I think there's a lot of untapped meme potential in the evil scientist yakub, creator of the white race

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
OK I am going to go ahead and say if you don't watch that video, you're not qualified to work in social services in the United States.

e:

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 5, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm impressed by the brain guy's magical ability to grow a symmetric yet off center beard.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I'm australian so i wouldnt have the foggiest idea about the NOI. Also for some reason australians think its ok to do blackface on TV. In short australia is a country with wide open spaces ripe for nuclear testing.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 5, 2015

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

poz my neg spirituality

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Jack Gladney posted:

NOI is whack as poo poo and basically nobody knows. Just regular civil rights activists that believe in loving ufos and white people being made by devil lizards in mad science labs.

I remember reading about NOI and thinking it sounded like Scientology for black people or something. When I related this to someone later, I checked the Wikipedia page and learned that Louis Farrakhan is actually trying to convince everyone in the Nation of Islam to read Dianetics.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colloidal Silver is a pretty common thing among conspiracy theorists, right?

I was a judge at a science fair this week and there was a presentation on colloidal silver as a potential agent for killing E Coli cultures. The whole thing was fine and all, although the procedures were literally printed off of a website so they got almost no points on creativity and their presentation wasn't great. I gave them a low score overall, but they got a pretty good average score from other judges, which pushed them into the top 15 (out of maybe 70 projects). The top 8-10 teams (depending on team size) get to go to the state finals, with the trip paid for by the state's department of education.

At these science fair events it's typical for judges to look at the average scores and discuss whether the team rankings look right, since judging is pretty subjective. Overall things looked good to the group, but one of the judges was adamant that the colloidal silver presentation be pushed into the top 10 "because this is extremely important research and the student really needs to present this at the state finals." Ranks 8-10 all have an average score that's close to ranks 11-15, so there are certainly grounds for discussion here. Some discussion is had, and it's clear that most of the judges were fairly unimpressed. So a request is made for the scores. On a 100 point scale, with 10 judges independently scoring the presentations, 6 scores were in the low 50s, 2 was in the mid 80s to low 90s, and 2 were perfect scores.

Upon this reveal, the judge pushing for this presentation to be bumped up started ranting about a conspiracy among the judges to discredit colloidal silver as a legitimate medical therapy and the importance of bringing this presentation to the state finals "so that the entire world can finally be shown the truth". Another judge requested that the score sheets for this category be pulled, at which point the judge who was extremely excited about the colloidal silver presentation stopped talking. It turned out that two of the answer sheets in this category were identical, and the scores being given were complete bullshit: 100 points to the colloidal silver presentation, 100 points to a presentation about GMOs, 0-40 points to everything else.

By that point, nothing more needed to be said. These two sheets were thrown out, the rankings were recomputed, and the colloidal silver presentation ended up somewhere in the bottom 50.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lightning Jim posted:

That looks similar to a website I had that used these kind of soundwave sound patterns as an exmaple of vibrations at higher dimensional levels

Ah, I remember when everything mystic was "vibration". Before that it was crystals and harmonics. After came magnets, dimensions and, of course, quantum.

We've come so far :allears:

I wonder if there's an interocitor hiding inside the great pyramid.

Firefox recognises interocitor as a word now. Just FYI.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

QuarkJets posted:

Colloidal Silver is a pretty common thing among conspiracy theorists, right?

I was a judge at a science fair this week and there was a presentation on colloidal silver as a potential agent for killing E Coli cultures. The whole thing was fine and all, although the procedures were literally printed off of a website so they got almost no points on creativity and their presentation wasn't great. I gave them a low score overall, but they got a pretty good average score from other judges, which pushed them into the top 15 (out of maybe 70 projects). The top 8-10 teams (depending on team size) get to go to the state finals, with the trip paid for by the state's department of education.

At these science fair events it's typical for judges to look at the average scores and discuss whether the team rankings look right, since judging is pretty subjective. Overall things looked good to the group, but one of the judges was adamant that the colloidal silver presentation be pushed into the top 10 "because this is extremely important research and the student really needs to present this at the state finals." Ranks 8-10 all have an average score that's close to ranks 11-15, so there are certainly grounds for discussion here. Some discussion is had, and it's clear that most of the judges were fairly unimpressed. So a request is made for the scores. On a 100 point scale, with 10 judges independently scoring the presentations, 6 scores were in the low 50s, 2 was in the mid 80s to low 90s, and 2 were perfect scores.

Upon this reveal, the judge pushing for this presentation to be bumped up started ranting about a conspiracy among the judges to discredit colloidal silver as a legitimate medical therapy and the importance of bringing this presentation to the state finals "so that the entire world can finally be shown the truth". Another judge requested that the score sheets for this category be pulled, at which point the judge who was extremely excited about the colloidal silver presentation stopped talking. It turned out that two of the answer sheets in this category were identical, and the scores being given were complete bullshit: 100 points to the colloidal silver presentation, 100 points to a presentation about GMOs, 0-40 points to everything else.

By that point, nothing more needed to be said. These two sheets were thrown out, the rankings were recomputed, and the colloidal silver presentation ended up somewhere in the bottom 50.

Jesus. :psyduck: Colloidal silver was used in the 1800s for a while, before better antibiotics came our, right?

My understanding is Colloidal Silver does affect bacteria DNA as described, but has some nasty side effects beyond just the Blue Skin crap. And with all the current state of medicine there's no point in using it.

That does also remind me - which I swear is earlier in the thread - of people believing that the "blue skin" is actually humanity's "natural skin color".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Smurfs was a documentary.

Seriously Firefox - you recognize interocitor, but not Smurfs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Silver has antibiotic properties but it also has anti-most-forms-of-life properties, so its use as an antibiotic is rather limited, it's about as good for you as drinking water with lots of lead flakes in it in the hopes that the bacteria get lead poisoning before you do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here's a new one: CERN intends to turn the LHC on again this March with higher energy collisions than ever before, but instead of looking for new physics they're actually trying to open a portal to Hell so that Lucifer may come to Earth and consume our souls

quote:

Freedom Fighter 2127 says, ‘ They have officially marked this year as the year of light… which means the year of Lucifer. So we need to understand just how demonic this year is going to be.’

quote:

‘Is it just a coincidence that CERN is short for the horned God Cernunnos? Is it also a coincidence that CERN has to go deep underground to do their “god” harnessing experiments? Cernunnos was the god of the underworld.’

quote:

‘The authorities at CERN have done their ritualistic experiments in the underworld and has used unlimited power to turn against the earth. This power has shown that it is causing an increase in earthquake activity and some even claim that it may be the reason for an increase of UFO activity as well.’

‘Now with the CERN experiments starting up again, the fear that they are set on destroying our planet or at least opening portals to other dimensions unleashing terrors of Biblical proportions are being rekindled on the Internet.

‘As far back as the 1970s UFO expert Peter Rogerson observed that UFOs are an essential part of a growing fear of our impending global doom:

‘Thus the UFO is an integral symbol of the growing irrationality with its associated apocalyptophilia of the mid-twentieth century. As the two great monoliths of established religion and scientific positivism are crumbling the vacuum is being filled by horrors from the pages of Tudor history.’

‘As with other perceived horrors of science and technology there is always a belief that they will bring about our ultimate destruction and salvation will only exist for the chosen few. The CERN project rather than Atomic warfare or pollution is now the focus for such fears. Personally I remain unconCERNed.’

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Come on man, you can't post that crucial information on the immanent eschaton without including some links.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Silver has antibiotic properties but it also has anti-most-forms-of-life properties, so its use as an antibiotic is rather limited, it's about as good for you as drinking water with lots of lead flakes in it in the hopes that the bacteria get lead poisoning before you do.

I would hope that a science experiment comparing its E. coli killing power would compare it to, oh, let's say bleach.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SedanChair posted:

I would hope that a science experiment comparing its E. coli killing power would compare it to, oh, let's say bleach.

The colloidal bleach movement was quite vigorous albeit rather shortlived. Word is, they were all taken out by big pharma in a pretty gruesome way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ErIog posted:

The colloidal bleach movement was quite vigorous albeit rather shortlived. Word is, they were all taken out by big pharma in a pretty gruesome way.

Gargamel turned them all into gold.

EDIT: missed the joke

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

zeal posted:

Come on man, you can't post that crucial information on the immanent eschaton without including some links.

I've got it covered.

QuarkJets posted:

That sure sounds like a Big Business coverup :freep:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPtKFrIV_o

every plane crash ever is a hoax

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The first time I saw that video, it was presented without any fanfare in one of the youtube threads and, yes, I thought it was fake as hell. The plane just falls out of the sky, slow as all hell, and without any fanfare. No flames, no smoke, no contrails, no sound. Just this massive object falling in a way that seems impossible.

Then it hit the van and you realise, oh poo poo, it was real.

And it really does look fake because Hollywood has spent decades making things 'more real than real' and these are the sort of events we simply don't have any experience in judging. Laypeople are simply incapable of knowing what an incident like this should look like, no matter how well versed in the subject they might pretend to be on the internet.

I remember when collision physics in games first started and everyone went on about how they looked fake as hell. Now you can find car accident dash cams footage on youtube by the thousands and, it turns out, people really do ragdoll like a toy when struck by a car.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
9/11 Trutherism and horrors from the pages of Tudor history

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is colloidal silver also poisonous to cats?

I know that's a weird question, but I was looking at pictures of adorable kittens and they give you a care package with each newly purchased kitten that includes a jar of colloidal silver. And I think I already know the answer :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is colloidal silver also poisonous to cats?

I know that's a weird question, but I was looking at pictures of adorable kittens and they give you a care package with each newly purchased kitten that includes a jar of colloidal silver. And I think I already know the answer :(

the fact that it's specifically 'ionic generated' means yea probably idiocy

silver isn't all that poisonous in theraputic doses it's just dumb and has little/no benefit

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Silver_as_an_Antimicrobial_Agent

Silver is a great antimicrobial with relatively low toxicity and has plenty of legitimate historical uses. In terms of modern use, though, topical use seems to be the only one really worth considering. Colloidal silver was a healthy thing to drink/add to your water because it increased the potability of water. Modern water treatment works better* and is substantially cheaper.

* Slight increase in cancer is a fine trade for actually eliminating most of the baddies in drinking water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yup, we have it at the vet clinic in a topical cream (silver sulfadiazine), but hardly ever prescribe it. It worked wonders for the greyhound who lost all the skin on the outside of his ear, though :).

• Locked thread