Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Can a mod just rename this thread to House of Mac Tech Support since that's all its been for months now? Not saying that's a bad thing, clearly we need such a thread, I'm just kind of tired of HOW I UPGRADE MY RAM AND FIX MY HD for months on end, it's giving me flashbacks to my computer janitor days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Can a mod just rename this thread to House of Mac Tech Support since that's all its been for months now? Not saying that's a bad thing, clearly we need such a thread, I'm just kind of tired of HOW I UPGRADE MY RAM AND FIX MY HD for months on end, it's giving me flashbacks to my computer janitor days.

So, you want just waking over hardware specs, teardowns, and pimp-my-mac pics? What exactly do you expect from a hardware thread?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
We can post about rumors and people's 'concepts' rendering of those rumors.

Anyone going to buy one of those macair retina?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flosofl posted:

So, you want just waking over hardware specs, teardowns, and pimp-my-mac pics? What exactly do you expect from a hardware thread?
It's totally cool, there just won't be any posts during the 10 months of the year where there aren't any new Macs. It was all just white noise anyway, clearly.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Haggins posted:

Perfect man thanks! I haven't opened it up but I'd guess it's two 4gb chips in there. And yes, I'm in the US.

It's been awhile since I have upgraded ram but is it still true that you should buy all the same brand? I guess I should just max it out at 32gb now.
You can see how it's configured by checking the "Memory" tab on "About This Mac".

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I bought a fully loaded Retina 5K iMac, except with only 8GB of memory. It came with 2x Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4GB memory sticks, both in neighboring slots. I installed my own Corsair Vengeance CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9, so cas 9, before the machine was even booted for the first time.

System info shows all four banks operating at 1333. Am I screwed because of the CAS 9? I accidentally bought CAS 9 because the upgrade info wasn't available yet, so I didn't know what latency to buy. Or is it because the banks are arranged incorrectly? It shows the two 4GB memory sticks in Bank 0/DIMM0 and Bank 1/DIMM0, and the two 8GB sticks in Bank 0/DIMM1 and Bank 1/DIMM1. Maybe that has something to do with it instead?

I haven't been too eager to buy another 16GB, either, because I'm not even fully utilizing this 24GB yet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kode54 posted:

I bought a fully loaded Retina 5K iMac, except with only 8GB of memory. It came with 2x Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PB 4GB memory sticks, both in neighboring slots. I installed my own Corsair Vengeance CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9, so cas 9, before the machine was even booted for the first time.

System info shows all four banks operating at 1333. Am I screwed because of the CAS 9? I accidentally bought CAS 9 because the upgrade info wasn't available yet, so I didn't know what latency to buy. Or is it because the banks are arranged incorrectly? It shows the two 4GB memory sticks in Bank 0/DIMM0 and Bank 1/DIMM0, and the two 8GB sticks in Bank 0/DIMM1 and Bank 1/DIMM1. Maybe that has something to do with it instead?

I haven't been too eager to buy another 16GB, either, because I'm not even fully utilizing this 24GB yet.

Mine were not neighboring. They alternated. 4 blank 4 blank.

In other news, running games on my retina 5k gets my GPU up to and a hair past 100c. I googled and the general consensus is that this is concerning. Anyone have any general or specific thoughts on that?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Oh, I think they're alternating, but it's been months since I opened the panel and put that other memory in.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

flosofl posted:

Something a step up from "WHAT MACHINE FOR BROWSING WAB AND SOME LIGHT VIDEO EDITIGN". There's a whole Haus of Tech Support for tech support. A buying thread would be good also.

My model would be something like the Intel thread, which I've been reading for a while without seeing "OMFG HOW DO I UNBURN CPU".

It's fine, really, but for some reason the non-Mac PC people manage to separate all this into separate threads.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Nothing cooler than seeing goons act hyperbolic and inflammatory about scratching a laptop or whatever.

Hardware discussion in a hardware thread, well I never.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My 2011 MBA is telling me to service the battery. Anyone know how much replacement costs at the Apple store? IFixit is selling batteries for $110, and it's certainly easy enough to do, but if it's not going to cost much more to have Apple do it, I figure I may as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

Maybe? what you are saying makes sense because the Hynix is cas 11 at 1666, but cas 9 at 1333. Whereas the Corsair is cas 9 across the board. So it's possible the system using the best frequency with matching latencies.

Endless Mike posted:

My 2011 MBA is telling me to service the battery. Anyone know how much replacement costs at the Apple store? IFixit is selling batteries for $110, and it's certainly easy enough to do, but if it's not going to cost much more to have Apple do it, I figure I may as well.

That's a savings of $19 over what Apple says it will charge for out of warranty replacements.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 6, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Endless Mike posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macnotebooks

$129 in the USA

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

That's a savings of $19 over what Apple says it will charge for out of warranty replacements.
Cool. Thanks! It's probably worth it just so I don't have to wait for the parts to come.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I"m looking to purchase a low-end mac pro in the near future. I'm hearing that there is a good chance there may be a refresh soon. What's my safest bet at this point? Used on ebay w/ applecare? Refurbished? Wait?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

arbybaconator posted:

I"m looking to purchase a low-end mac pro in the near future. I'm hearing that there is a good chance there may be a refresh soon. What's my safest bet at this point? Used on ebay w/ applecare? Refurbished? Wait?

Personally, I'd wait. The power performance gains and on-chip 4K support on Broadwell will probably make it worth purchasing brand new. If neither of those is important, I'd probably say go with refurb of the current model.

I KAN REED GUD.

Carry on, I'll just sit over here.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 6, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I hope the Mac Pro is refreshed soon, but I don't think it can be until Thunderbolt 3.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

flosofl posted:

Personally, I'd wait. The power performance gains and on-chip 4K support on Broadwell will probably make it worth purchasing brand new. If neither of those is important, I'd probably say go with refurb of the current model.

mac pro

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:cripes:

Sorry about that. Somehow my internal editor inserted "book" when I read it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The refurb store had some good deals a few weeks ago on base model Mac Pros, but depending on your use case the Retina iMac may be a better value.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

1st AD posted:

The refurb store had some good deals a few weeks ago on base model Mac Pros, but depending on your use case the Retina iMac may be a better value.

Good to know.

I have an iMac currently, and a PC with 2 21:9 ultra widescreens. My aim is to reduce my overall footprint.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey quick question anyone know what would cause me being able to log in to the App Store on my iPhone 4 but not my Macbook Pro? When I try to sign in on my computer and put in the correct password it recognizes that I haven't put in the wrong password since it doesn't make me change my password after I enter it multiple times. I just get the grey circle loading thing and then nothing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

arbybaconator posted:

Good to know.

I have an iMac currently, and a PC with 2 21:9 ultra widescreens. My aim is to reduce my overall footprint.

Gotcha, a Mac Pro definitely takes up less space overall.

Here's my studio setup, not sure this was really an improvement over the old days as far as space goes, but

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

1st AD posted:

Gotcha, a Mac Pro definitely takes up less space overall.

Here's my studio setup, not sure this was really an improvement over the old days as far as space goes, but

Yeah but with the dog, there's not even any seating space!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

flavor posted:

Yeah but with the dog, there's not even any seating space!

Awkward...but that's actually 1st AD.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Took me forever to find the Mac Pro, before I saw the cords coming out of it I thought it was a comically overside coffee mug.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hey quick question anyone know what would cause me being able to log in to the App Store on my iPhone 4 but not my Macbook Pro? When I try to sign in on my computer and put in the correct password it recognizes that I haven't put in the wrong password since it doesn't make me change my password after I enter it multiple times. I just get the grey circle loading thing and then nothing.

Check your date and time. Install any updates.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have some OLD HK soundsticks.

They are good but falling apart. Any recommendations on an iMac-worthy desk pair (or ideally 2.1 cuz I'm all about that bass)?

Let's just say for sake of argument price is not a concern (within reason) but under 300 is ideal.

The iMac only has usb's and a stereo out jack...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

Took me forever to find the Mac Pro, before I saw the cords coming out of it I thought it was a comically overside coffee mug.

I think of it more as a comically undersized trash can :v:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

kuskus posted:

For sure, and thanks! My rMBP has a 650m. If it functions without glitching I definitely have some other CUDA uses.

I use CUDA in Photoshop and Premiere on the same machine with Yosemite and the 650m with no issues at all. I haven't done any benchmarking but the folks in our video production team advised that any nvidia card will perform much better with CUDA vs. OpenCL at the moment. I did have some issues initially iirc but not video corruption and they were solved when nvidia updated the os x drivers. I don't do super demanding video work though so...

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 7, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have a 2011 MBP. I want to buy an SSD for it and replace the hard drive.

I read some guides, watched some videos, it seems easy as hell and all I have to do is unscrew some things and put the SSD in and then restore a time machine backup to the drive. However,I keep reading about TRIM and I have beyond no idea what that means or what it's supposed to do or how i'm supposed to utilize it. From my bare understanding, it's software that runs on the SSD itself to do...something? Anyway, the trouble introduces itself when using Yosemite. Apparently Apple changed a few things and I have to jump through a few obstacles to enable support. Is this still the case (article I read was published when Yosemite first came out)?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I have a 2011 MBP. I want to buy an SSD for it and replace the hard drive.

I read some guides, watched some videos, it seems easy as hell and all I have to do is unscrew some things and put the SSD in and then restore a time machine backup to the drive. However,I keep reading about TRIM and I have beyond no idea what that means or what it's supposed to do or how i'm supposed to utilize it. From my bare understanding, it's software that runs on the SSD itself to do...something? Anyway, the trouble introduces itself when using Yosemite. Apparently Apple changed a few things and I have to jump through a few obstacles to enable support. Is this still the case (article I read was published when Yosemite first came out)?

I went through the same thing, if you buy a newer SSD it doesn't matter so much apparently. Do what I did and just ignore, by the time it fails you will be replacing it anyway. Samsung has a 5 year warranty on their drives.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lord Windy posted:

I went through the same thing, if you buy a newer SSD it doesn't matter so much apparently. Do what I did and just ignore, by the time it fails you will be replacing it anyway. Samsung has a 5 year warranty on their drives.

Well, I would, but I might actually end up getting an SSD from the SA Mart and unless Samsung has or announces some great deal in the next week or so, I don't know how viable of an option that is.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
You're buying a second hand harddrive anyway, why does it matter? Just don't worry about it, next year when 'Yellowstone' or whatever it's going to be it will probably have TRIM solved. It may not, but really it's a second hand drive.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lord Windy posted:

You're buying a second hand harddrive anyway, why does it matter? Just don't worry about it, next year when 'Yellowstone' or whatever it's going to be it will probably have TRIM solved. It may not, but really it's a second hand drive.

Yeah, that's the thing. I want the second-hand to last longer.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Look, at the moment Apple doesn't support TRIM on 3rd party SSDs so I bought an SSD that had some kind of garbage collection. If you want to enable it you need to find some way of doing it. The easiest way I know is to buy this software. There are probably other ways, but for something like this I would probably just pay $10 for the software. Though apparently their disabling TRIM is a security feature and if you reset PRAM any of the other things on this list than you are in trouble.

I lump all this poo poo in the too hard basket. If having a drive last a long time is important go buy a new one, if you want to eek out as much time as possible on a second hand one then do the TRIM stuff or go back to Maverick.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Feenix posted:

I have some OLD HK soundsticks.

They are good but falling apart. Any recommendations on an iMac-worthy desk pair (or ideally 2.1 cuz I'm all about that bass)?

Let's just say for sake of argument price is not a concern (within reason) but under 300 is ideal.

The iMac only has usb's and a stereo out jack...

Audioengine A2+ on the under-$300 side, A5+ if you can spring for them (and definitely in carbonized bamboo if you can go that far- try checking out the refurb section on their website if you can't go full price).

Both can easily have an inexpensive powered sub added to them (like a <$100 Polk PS10) down the road if you feel like you need it, but IMHO it's kind of an afterthought on the A2+'s depending on who you are- and way more so for the 5+. Those really don't need a sub.

Either way, everything Audioengine makes is arguably best-in-class for sound quality, and their speakers' looks and fit-and-finish are definitely the best in the industry for that price range (and even among speaker sets costing way more). They pair with macs well enough that the company's promo may as well be centered around them.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 7, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lord Windy posted:

Look, at the moment Apple doesn't support TRIM on 3rd party SSDs so I bought an SSD that had some kind of garbage collection. If you want to enable it you need to find some way of doing it. The easiest way I know is to buy this software. There are probably other ways, but for something like this I would probably just pay $10 for the software. Though apparently their disabling TRIM is a security feature and if you reset PRAM any of the other things on this list than you are in trouble.

I lump all this poo poo in the too hard basket. If having a drive last a long time is important go buy a new one, if you want to eek out as much time as possible on a second hand one then do the TRIM stuff or go back to Maverick.

This doesn't seem hard at all – it's all software. I'm asking what TRIM does and per your description, it seems like something that would make an SSD last longer, so I can't think why I wouldn't do it with a secondhand or otherwise.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I've just set up a 2x2TB NAS at home and dedicated one drive to accept time machine backups. This feature is totally rad. Every time I come back home, my machine backs everything up and I don't have to plug in an external drive like a caveman anymore. poo poo rocks :cool:

Now to hook it up with Amazon Glacier and I'm golden. Praise stebe.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

noirstronaut posted:

This doesn't seem hard at all – it's all software. I'm asking what TRIM does and per your description, it seems like something that would make an SSD last longer, so I can't think why I wouldn't do it with a secondhand or otherwise.

Here's my simple understanding of TRIM - someone like BobHoward or Alereon could clarify it better, but ultimately when you delete a file, the OS sends a TRIM command (when supported) to the drive, telling it to delete the data in the cells where the data is currently stored.

A lot of drives have "Garbage Collection", where the drive periodically reads the existing data (stored in "units", I believe) and re-writes it as new data. This helps to clear out the old, deleted data but in the process results in write amplification on the cells, since it gets written/copied to another set of cell units. However, as cells have a finite number of cycles for which they can be written to, the process absolutely helps to use up those cycles. There also can be a performance hit during times where the drive is actively performing garbage collection.

Garbage collection has been improving over time such that drives from Samsung and Intel feature fairly good performance consistency even without TRIM, such as the Intel 730 series and Samsung 850 Pro, amongst others.

I am not sure if, when the drive sees that TRIM is supported, it disables garbage collection or not, but I believe it does since performance consistency is higher than without, and of course you reduce the number of times the cells are written to. The SSD thread has more information on it, but for what it's worth pre-Yosemite I usually did the terminal command script to enable TRIM and had no issues with it. After Yosemite came out I put a Samsung 850 Pro in my old 13" MBP that I gave to my wife and didn't disable kext signing/enable TRIM, and performance still appears to be high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Audioengine A2+ on the under-$300 side, A5+ if you can spring for them (and definitely in carbonized bamboo if you can go that far- try checking out the refurb section on their website if you can't go full price).

Both can easily have an inexpensive powered sub added to them (like a <$100 Polk PS10) down the road if you feel like you need it, but IMHO it's kind of an afterthought on the A2+'s depending on who you are- and way more so for the 5+. Those really don't need a sub.

Either way, everything Audioengine makes is arguably best-in-class for sound quality, and their speakers' looks and fit-and-finish are definitely the best in the industry for that price range (and even among speaker sets costing way more). They pair with macs well enough that the company's promo may as well be centered around them.

Much obliged! I'd heard AE2+ bandied about the Internet. I'll research more... Returns are sold out on their site but their base price is solid. I want those angled desk stands, and probably would need a sub given some folks have said its not for the bass-lovers.

To be fair I'm not a Miami bass head. I just like explosions and stuff in shows and games to have a little oomph.