Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe
Been careful in adding mods to this game since other than Glowing Ores I've liking things immensely for a Beta. And yea the 1st boss gets /admin and off I go back to happyland.

Since folks seem to like Your Starbound Crew I decided to give it a shot and got to the part you rescue LoveJones, then you are able to craft a Crew spawner for her.

Then what? Nothing happens when I use the spawner or the little duck you can craft. I've placed them on my ship, (level 2 now) outposts, planets, nothing happens and the mods discussion has no info.

Other than glowing ores and a potion crafter mod I've got nothing, anyone else have this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Did you leave the planet/ship you place the stuff and than returned? Not sure if that's still the case, but NPC spawners used to need you to leave the planet/ship they were placed on and only spawned an NPC on your return.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Feindfeuer posted:

Did you leave the planet/ship you place the stuff and than returned? Not sure if that's still the case, but NPC spawners used to need you to leave the planet/ship they were placed on and only spawned an NPC on your return.

DOH. Yea that did it, thanks!

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Hey guys I threw together a mod that lets you upgrade the matter manipulator more until it becomes a 6x6 beast with much more power.

I don't know how "balanced" it is but it's way more fun. If your character already has a maxed out MM, you'll need to do the following:

code:
/aicommand upgradeBeamaxe6
Otherwise everything should work pretty well - please tell me if there are any issues!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Giving up on the first boss until they fix the lasers :negative:

I keep dying from beam damage caused by beams that are nowhere near me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Mattybee posted:

Hey guys I threw together a mod that lets you upgrade the matter manipulator more until it becomes a 6x6 beast with much more power.
I really wish there were a way to scale the MM down. Sure, sometimes I'd want 4x4 (or 6x6 as in this mod), but I hate that the game makes me choose between that and 1x1. Sometimes I just want to scale it down, especially for more precise activities like building..
Mining speed, on the other hand, is something you can never get enough of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why can't I just shoot a big laser stream that blasts through rocks instead of having some lame plinky tool be my primary mining device all the time?

Mining would be fun if I could fire giant shoop-da-woop lasers to annihilate a path through caves.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish there were a way to scale the MM down. Sure, sometimes I'd want 4x4 (or 6x6 as in this mod), but I hate that the game makes me choose between that and 1x1. Sometimes I just want to scale it down, especially for more precise activities like building..

I was thinking about adding some additional items that had a more limited radius but higher power, or something... and just generally buffing pickaxes and drills.

And finding other uses/ways to dig, especially early. I don't mind mining (especially with the caves mod) but it needs to be less lovely early.

EDIT: Is there a way to modify items that already exist in the game world?

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 7, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tollymain posted:

any interesting species mods out there? interesting in a good way, not a mlp/anime catgirl/etc way

No really for the newest version.

Here is the list of races on the official mod site, but most of the ones that fit the category you're looking for ( not anime/MLP/homestuck) are either incredibly simple or seem kind of slapshot.

Race mods were one of the big goon things as far as mods go, actually. Shoehead, who seems to have moved on to greener pastures, had the Skellies, a race of 90s radicool skeletons. dog kisser's Peglaci are pretty rad and advanced, but dog kisser's done with Starbound so updates aren't likely.

I, myself, am working on getting my Beetle Space Romans, the Mantizi, updated to the latest version. Most of the code is already fixed up and they work in the latest version as far as I can tell, but a big thing I want from my mod is that it's as "feature complete" as the vanilla races. I'm slowly getting there. Plan on releasing the updated version as soon as the 8 tiers of ship are available, though I may cheat that a little.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Now, I'm not one of those grognards who believe that a crafting-based game needs tons of bullshit tedium, but I do think that 10 fuel used for every space trip, no matter where, is kind of useless. Why have fuel at that point? I think the cost should grow, linearly, with the distance needed. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Why can't I just shoot a big laser stream that blasts through rocks instead of having some lame plinky tool be my primary mining device all the time?

Mining would be fun if I could fire giant shoop-da-woop lasers to annihilate a path through caves.

I've been eagerly awaiting the return of the mining laser mod cause that poo poo was awesome.

^^^if every trip costs 10 fuel that's either a mod or a bug.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

deadly_pudding posted:

I'd recommend doing some /admin to get by, he can get really frustrated. Also, what does your gear look like? If you're going into phase 3 with close to full health, you should be able to just eat the laser hits as you do 1 side, heal up at the top, then work your way down the other side. I wrote some effort post about it at the top of page 19, take a look and see how far out from that you are with stuff. It is kind of stupid that the first boss really requires you to go to that effort, but maybe that'll get you to where you can beat him. Also I show where the shortcut is, so you can cut out over half of the dungeon.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

deadly_pudding posted:

Get two shields, you don't need to shoot at anything until the boss is dead. They will decay fast but should give you enough time to run around circles three times, which is all you need. Also lots of bandages. That's how I got past him despite the glitchy lasers.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Why are pickaxes and bandages made of plant fibers a thing. Why does Starbound's flavor swing so wildly

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

oddium posted:

Why are pickaxes and bandages made of plant fibers a thing. Why does Starbound's flavor swing so wildly

Pickaxes used to be useful when the matter manipulator couldn't be upgraded much and they lasted longer than 30 seconds of digging.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You know what would pickaxes less stupid?
1. Remove Pickaxes
If 1 fails go on to 2
2. Make them last longer than 30 seconds
3. Make them repairable

tia

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but why are they pickaxes instead of overcharged MM cells and why are bandages bandages made of plants instead of stimpacks or medkits made of sci fi stuff

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Pakled posted:

Pickaxes used to be useful when the matter manipulator couldn't be upgraded much and they lasted longer than 30 seconds of digging.

I think it`s more about you, an intergalactic space traveler capable of instant teleportation, making bandages out of vines?

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 7, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Like bandages, okay, Starbound's a little cartoony, I can see bandages taking the place of potions. But then it's like someone added one of those tactical realism mods from Minecraft and now bandages are made of vine fibers. An already slightly jarring bit of flavor suddenly gets very jarring

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

oddium posted:

Like bandages, okay, Starbound's a little cartoony, I can see bandages taking the place of potions. But then it's like someone added one of those tactical realism mods from Minecraft and now bandages are made of vine fibers. An already slightly jarring bit of flavor suddenly gets very jarring

I think converting vines into biomatter of some sort to make 'bandages' with would make a lot more sense. Tie that and various stimpack recipes to a medical station module and it solves the problem.

As it stands, I imagine that your character is just 'bandaging' themselves by using vine tourniquets

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

I think converting vines into biomatter of some sort to make 'bandages' with would make a lot more sense. Tie that and various stimpack recipes to a medical station module and it solves the problem.

As it stands, I imagine that your character is just 'bandaging' themselves by using vine tourniquets

Then call it biogel.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Mattybee posted:

I was thinking about adding some additional items that had a more limited radius but higher power, or something... and just generally buffing pickaxes and drills.
And finding other uses/ways to dig, especially early. I don't mind mining (especially with the caves mod) but it needs to be less lovely early.
EDIT: Is there a way to modify items that already exist in the game world?
This is totally possible. I think the MM works the way it does for precision and at range, just shooting at stuff would be kind of weird, but as a supercharged alternative it could be fun as hell.
The new patching add/merge/replace JSON system is really useful and yes, can be used to change existing game items. Unless you mean like already spawned in your saved game, which might have trouble.

Michaellaneous posted:

You know what would pickaxes less stupid?
1. Remove Pickaxes
If 1 fails go on to 2
2. Make them last longer than 30 seconds
3. Make them repairable
2 and 3 is how they used to do it and people wouldn't stop complaining. Rightly so because the new method is a million times better and they do provide neat buffs but I wish, as others said, they'd integrate directly into your MM rather than taking up another slot with less range.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
:madmax: "Oh hey my first frozen planet, lets make snowballs and test my new weapons on everything!"

:ohdear: "What's this sewer doing here and what' moving down there? Is that Babemagnet?"

:shepicide: "Oh god they got on me.. ALL OVER ME!"

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Vib Rib posted:

The new patching add/merge/replace JSON system is really useful and yes, can be used to change existing game items. Unless you mean like already spawned in your saved game, which might have trouble.

I do mean items spawned in-game because what I'd really love to do is provide people with a way to upgrade equipment (like weapons/armor) and rename them.

I really really don't think this is possible, though. At minimum I'd have to learn some lua.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

oddium posted:

There's a really fun mod that everyone should download that lets you create potions out of crop extracts and monster essences. You can even craft light potions and the like! It's a must have, because bandages are the worst healing item.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know there are processes to read monsters/items and hook those somehow. There was an old mod when modding was even less robust that let you disassemble and reassemble guns, and there's a mod now that will create mountable hunting trophies of any monster you run into, so if you can find a way to work with that you could probably read the stats, translate them into an item, then improve it.

nutranurse posted:

There's a really fun mod that everyone should download that lets you create potions out of crop extracts and monster essences. You can even craft light potions and the like! It's a must have, because bandages are the worst healing item.
It's a seriously good mod because it has long-lasting craftable buffs and the like, but the absolute best part is healing items that scale to your max health. 40% heal is incredible and it saved my rear end on the mech boss.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I haven't found a way for explosions to avoid just straight up destroying blocks (and rendering them droppable instead), so I'm not sure how I'm going to solve the "there is no proper Mining Laser" problem. :(

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

The Mattybee posted:

I haven't found a way for explosions to avoid just straight up destroying blocks (and rendering them droppable instead), so I'm not sure how I'm going to solve the "there is no proper Mining Laser" problem. :(

Maybe try just lowering the power on some throwables located in '\items\throwables\" or explosiveDamageAmount in bombblockexplosion.config located in '\projectiles\explosions\bombblockexplosion\' to see if it's a function of high power or something. Or maybe it's something in bombblockexplosion.projectile ? If you don't find anything i'll try to take around at this the next time I need a break from loving with guns.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
I personally favor taking the "Weird 90s Pop-Culture Idea of How Video Games Work" route to both making pickaxes and poo poo feel like they belong in the world, as well as giving pixels and the 3D printer and poo poo a reason to exist. Upgrading your MM for example would be done by converting raw materials into digging tools, then digitally converting those tools into stat upgrades for the MM. More sophisticated tools, made out of more valuable materials give you higher bonuses because well duh.

It's stupid, but it's the kind of stupid I find mildly entertaining.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

Maybe I am crazy but I thought you could do this before, holding shift or control made the MM do one block at a time. Is this no longer the case?

Oh you already said 1x1. Reading is hard.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Man of all the things you could pick to complain about, you pick that you don't like bandages made out of plant fiber? That just seems .. odd. I'd complain that they're annoying to use and gently caress up combat balance because either you can spam them and never die (forcing enemies to do really swingy amounts of damage), or they're worthless because they won't save you anyways. There is a reason that more games are moving towards having only a measured amount of healing available, and that is so combat balance isn't retarded.

Make a nano-repair slot, give it a cooldown to use, and make craftable items that heal and/or buff to put in there. Let there be a bind key to use them too, like with the suit abilities, so you don't have to switch from your active item.

Get rid of pick-axes, turn them into stim-like MM accelerator batteries that give you a mining buff, better quality increases buff strength and time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No, those things sound like what a reasonable sci fi game would have. I recommend they continue making you use stone age technology while you beam back and forth to your spaceship.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Man of all the things you could pick to complain about, you pick that you don't like bandages made out of plant fiber? That just seems .. odd. I'd complain that they're annoying to use and gently caress up combat balance because either you can spam them and never die (forcing enemies to do really swingy amounts of damage), or they're worthless because they won't save you anyways. There is a reason that more games are moving towards having only a measured amount of healing available, and that is so combat balance isn't retarded.

Make a nano-repair slot, give it a cooldown to use, and make craftable items that heal and/or buff to put in there. Let there be a bind key to use them too, like with the suit abilities, so you don't have to switch from your active item.

Get rid of pick-axes, turn them into stim-like MM accelerator batteries that give you a mining buff, better quality increases buff strength and time.

Aaaaaaaa shoot I wasted my one (1) complaint about Starbound h**************ck

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

oddium posted:

Aaaaaaaa shoot I wasted my one (1) complaint about Starbound h**************ck

This is why you select a broad category instead of a single thing. gotta make the most of it :rolleyes:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Smuggins posted:

:madmax: "Oh hey my first frozen planet, lets make snowballs and test my new weapons on everything!"

:ohdear: "What's this sewer doing here and what' moving down there? Is that Babemagnet?"

:shepicide: "Oh god they got on me.. ALL OVER ME!"

gonna getcha

Broand
Oct 13, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

You could also make a nano buff slot too, which can make various effects depending on the material you put in there, like tar for sticking on walls or oil for slip sliding around the place.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
My one complaint is the whole game

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
They should just borrow ideas from other games more, like mass effect or whatever is popular with the kids these days. There are crates everywhere, why can't I push button to take cover? This is how crates should work.

Also my space age nanosuit should automatically heal me over time, or maybe if I push a button, at the cost of energy.

And why can't I sneak attack or backstab enemies?

And parkour. Let me jump and grab on to ledges.

Also I want a portal gun.

Only some of these ideas are serious. Maybe.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Did they change were you're supposed to put abc files to play stuff in game? I found a bass guitar while playing with a friend last night and it's all just the preset stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Koobze posted:

They should just borrow ideas from other games more, like mass effect or whatever is popular with the kids these days. There are crates everywhere, why can't I push button to take cover? This is how crates should work.

Also my space age nanosuit should automatically heal me over time, or maybe if I push a button, at the cost of energy.

And why can't I sneak attack or backstab enemies?

And parkour. Let me jump and grab on to ledges.

Also I want a portal gun.

Only some of these ideas are serious. Maybe.

Starbound needs a binary morality system, if you are paragon you mine core fragments 10% faster

• Locked thread