Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Frank run a sweet sweat shop down there?

Just like in 'nam!

Alot of good men died in that sweat shop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Remember that Frank had ariline miles from pulling the Boggs stunt, so he already had a bunch to spend.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
On a rewatch, Dennis is definitely getting visibly exhausted from all the running around throughout that long take (pretty much everything following stuffing the chickens into the vent). There's a progression, if you're watching for it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Remember that Frank had ariline miles from pulling the Boggs stunt, so he already had a bunch to spend.

Great catch if that's where they got the miles from

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

On the same note, was Frank painting his clothes on because he had heard Dee talking about painting her butthole blue to hide the hole in her jeans? I think she mentions that in the previous episode.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'd also add that the only thing that specifically makes me think the extended take was inspired by Birdman was the symbal crash whenever Charlie slammed the barstool. It made me think of the drum influence in Birdman, but that's a pretty small element overall.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Who was Charlie calling in the beginning?

That episode was really great. One of the few episodes of any show I ever botherd to rewatch.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Air is lava! posted:

Who was Charlie calling in the beginning?

frank

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

this episode was incredible holy poo poo everything charlie does makes perfect sense

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Did y'all know that Dennis saying "alright alright alright" throughout this most recent episode was a subtle and easily-missed referenced to Matthew Mcconaughey, who played a certain character in a certain other television show which gained a lot of attention last year for its use of an extended take?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Did you know that The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award was a subtle and easily-missed reference to Matthew Mcconaughey, who played a certain character in a certain other television show which gained a lot of attention last year for its complete lack of award recognition?

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Irish Joe posted:

Did you know that The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award was a subtle and easily-missed reference to Matthew Mcconaughey, who played a certain character in a certain other television show which gained a lot of attention last year for its complete lack of award recognition?

This fact is horse poo poo. Only my facts are accurate.

Did y'all notice how Charlie stomped the chair on the ground multiple times, then at the end it fell apart? And then Dennis took credit? Just another example of some of the subtle setup/payoff humor this show does so well.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hard Clumping posted:

This fact is horse poo poo. Only my facts are accurate.

Did y'all notice how Charlie stomped the chair on the ground multiple times, then at the end it fell apart? And then Dennis took credit? Just another example of some of the subtle setup/payoff humor this show does so well.

noticed this on a re-watch, thought it was dennis smashing the chair each time. good eye/.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

noticed this on a re-watch, thought it was dennis smashing the chair each time. good eye/.

I actually caught it the first go around, so

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Who was in the toilet stall when Charlie and the inspector went into the bathroom?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hard Clumping posted:

I actually caught it the first go around, so

ugh i know i said u have good eye so maybe ur other eye is on the fritz(the one u read posts with)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pahuyuth posted:

Who was in the toilet stall when Charlie and the inspector went into the bathroom?

the murder guy from last week

hes fat so his poos are big

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

Cricket with his dick-in-hand.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pahuyuth posted:

It was Frank, without the black paint, his skin blended in with the grimey yellowed patina of the walls.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
After my first watch I thought it might have been Dennis to help explain why he looked so sick and exhausted at the end, but he's behind the bar when Charlie and the lady walk out. On the second watch I didn't find any clues. I think I like the Cricket answer.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 7, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

pahuyuth posted:

No one. Charlie pulled shoes and a pair of jeans out of his backpack and staged a fake person in the stall. Then he told Mac to groan into the vents and say "I'm sorry" because he knew the vents went from the office to the bathroom.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cojawfee posted:

No one. Charlie pulled shoes and a pair of jeans out of his backpack and staged a fake person in the stall. Then he told Mac to groan into the vents and say "I'm sorry" because he knew the vents went from the office to the bathroom.

This sounds pretty implausible, I don't like it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

lol this isnt the LOST thread take ur weird theories somewhere else

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if you guys are joking or what, but that's literally what happens. While he's talking to MAC in the bathroom, he removes a pair of jeans, some shoes and PVC pipe to put the jeans on.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, on my seventh watch I noticed the gangling, squawking bird was actually a grown human female, this show fire on all cylinders.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if you guys are joking or what, but that's literally what happens. While he's talking to MAC in the bathroom, he removes a pair of jeans, some shoes and PVC pipe to put the jeans on.

They're joking.

I for one loved that little gag. When he started pulling all that PVC pipe from his "fix bag" I assumed he maybe knew something about plumbing, then was struck with confusion when the jean shorts came out, then blown away when we actually see it in action.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Holy poo poo, until this thread I thought the show took place in Pittsburgh.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Unmature posted:

I noticed it before the first season ended, actually

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This is kinda funny but it's gonna get real old real fast.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

This is kinda funny but it's gonna get real old real fast.

I dunno, I think it's doing pretty well for its tenth season.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Not that I had any doubt, but this episode completely proved that these guys truly understand and are gods of comedy.

So perfect.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

At first, was thinking that it's starting to feel to me like they have really amplified some of the character's traits this season moreso than ever before, with Dennis being a complete psychopath now (and KILLING IT. Holy poo poo is he good at being crazy). But I've come to realize that what's actually going on is that I still look at each episode as a random day in the lives of these people that could happen any time, when instead there is a huge degree of continuity season to season and even episode to episode.

That highlights EXACTLY what i'm taking about. Outside of the addition of Frank to the crew, there was zero continuity between early episodes. That's the change.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 7, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

This isn't the It's Always Sunny in ToriTown thread.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Meatwave posted:

This reminds me of a scam at Fatwallet where someone discovered that you could buy money from the US Mint at face value using airline miles and credit cards with cashback bonuses. There was free delivery too, and for some reason card companies weren't counting this as a cash advance. The money being sold by the US Mint was only coins. Dollar coins and half dollars sold out quickly. So all these assholes bought like $2000 in quarters and dimes, lugged the change to their banks, paid down the credit cards, and repeated this cycle again and again for like $30 a pop. People were maxing out their credit cards doing this and calling their card companies to get limits raised. They were unplugging the ethernet cords on Coinstar machines, which apparently makes it operate without a surcharge.

Basically, Fatwallet people are like the gang from Sunny.

Wow, they could have just taken them to their bank if they came straight from the mint, they're already rolled and everything, would have been a hundred times easier to get the cash.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

You guys are imagining the continuity from the Wade Boggs episode to the Charlie Episode.

The scam, as Charlie spelled out, was that they bought airline miles on Frank's credit card. Then they bought the steaks with the miles. They didn't have the miles from the LA trip.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Wow, they could have just taken them to their bank if they came straight from the mint, they're already rolled and everything, would have been a hundred times easier to get the cash.

I know someone that took advantage of this. He did just deposit it right into the bank. It's currency, they will take it. He made a half million miles or something doing it. Was a fantastic loophole until it got closed. Now you have to gently caress around with loading prepaid cards.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Meatwave posted:

This reminds me of a scam at Fatwallet...

Is this, or other Fatwallet scams, documented anywhere? I find it kind of fascinating and I think it would be interesting to read about what else they've exploited. I don't frequent the site at all, do they have any kind of "Comedy Goldmine" equivalent?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It took me 3 times to watch the episode to figure out what the gently caress frank was doing in the basement.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

For some reason I got the impression we were seeing another Charlie-version of events. That's why Dennis is acting so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

phosdex posted:

For some reason I got the impression we were seeing another Charlie-version of events. That's why Dennis is acting so weird.

That's exactly what I thought was happening at the end, when he walked in and everybody was just kind of back to normal.

I'll go ahead and be the first to say I didn't really care for this episode. It was neat and different, but I didn't really find it funny, and funny is why I watch the show.

So :boom: