Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Dylanthulhu posted:

My friend gifted me a Pilot Metro because he's a nice guy. I've got a bottle of Noodler's Black Eel coming in the mail. I'm wondering if goons can recommend me a dark green? Looking for a bit darker than this. http://www.gouletpens.com/N19039/p/N19039

I'm really really impressed with the pen itself. I'm used to my fingers aching but with this I don't have to apply a lot of pressure to get a firm line. My friend that got it for me has six fountain pens, I'm already shopping for more.

Private Reserve Ebony Green and Cult Inks Deep Dark Green might be interesting choices. Some folks have had mold problems with ebony green, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Dylanthulhu posted:

My friend gifted me a Pilot Metro because he's a nice guy. I've got a bottle of Noodler's Black Eel coming in the mail. I'm wondering if goons can recommend me a dark green? Looking for a bit darker than this. http://www.gouletpens.com/N19039/p/N19039

I'm really really impressed with the pen itself. I'm used to my fingers aching but with this I don't have to apply a lot of pressure to get a firm line. My friend that got it for me has six fountain pens, I'm already shopping for more.

I'm a big fan of this as a distinctly green near black color.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

For dark greens, I really like Diamine Green-Black and Sailor Jentle Miruai ("seaweed indigo")...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

What is the recommended daily usage for these kinds of pens? I don't write a ton, and the OP says not to let them sit around filled for too long. I assume the ink dries and gums of the nib? I'd be buying a pen mostly as an accessory for when I have to get all fancy.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

AgentSythe posted:

What is the recommended daily usage for these kinds of pens? I don't write a ton, and the OP says not to let them sit around filled for too long. I assume the ink dries and gums of the nib? I'd be buying a pen mostly as an accessory for when I have to get all fancy.

Try and write with it? It's not a hard and fast rule about "you must write X amount per day," but generally if these things gather dust they're annoying to clean up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

AgentSythe posted:

If you're not going to use your pen for a month or so you should empty it of ink. Some pens, such as from Platinum, can go longer but a month is pretty reasonable for most pens on the market.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Another good dark black-green ink is Noodler's Zhivago - it's black but tints green when the light catches it at the right angle. It's also well behaved by the standards of Noodler's ink. I use it at work because we're required to write in black ink and Zhivago gives just enough of a green tint to make my writing distinctive without breaking the rules.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
For anyone looking for a new kaewco, huckberry has them on sale right now https://huckberry.com/store/kaweco-pens

Seriously considering that brass liliput....

Think I'm going to buy another round of ink samples from Goulet, what are some favorites that I have to try?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Nothing recc'd imho but for example the 2 ml of piston-filler will last me 1-2 months of daily writing in my journal. Also, the Pilot Prera even it's tiny C/C will last 2-3 weeks of notes of college classes but I don't really take a lot of notes depending on the class. If the pen seems to be a hard starter then I keep a small glass inkwell filled with water to help it along.

The only time I seriously recommend flushing FPs if you're using Iron Gall inks or if you plan on storing vintage pens away for a few months/years.

@Kaweco: I got a chance to handle the aluminum one and I like it more than the plastic ones. The plastic Kaweco do look nice but feel a little too light even for pocket pens.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Which ones have the happy face?!?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Just got my Hero 266 in the post. The thing is absolutely tiny, and ludicrously light. Nice fine nib, too. It fits together much better than I expected considering the price I paid for it. The only downside I've found so far is the stupid bladder filling system. Not bad for less than the price of a pint of beer. I'll give it a full workout at work tomorrow, where I can use it to indulge in my love of annoyingly small handwriting.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My big Leuchtturm1917 Master sized notebook was supposed to show up today from Goulet, along with some noodler's 54th. Apparently the book was too big though... there was postage due so it's sitting at the post office instead.

:argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Xun posted:

Which ones have the happy face?!?

The Kakuno. Supposedly (I haven't tried them first-hand) they have the same nibs as the Metro/MR, Prera, etc, only they have a big :) engraved on it.

As seen here: click this.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
My boyfriend has one of these and his birthday is coming up: http://www.lamyusa.com/lamy_fountain_L17_safari.php
Does that pen have changeable nibs? He was looking about experimenting with an italic one and I wanted to see if I could get one for him as part of his birthday present.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

stimulated emission posted:

My boyfriend has one of these and his birthday is coming up: http://www.lamyusa.com/lamy_fountain_L17_safari.php
Does that pen have changeable nibs? He was looking about experimenting with an italic one and I wanted to see if I could get one for him as part of his birthday present.

Yes. Lamy sells replacement nibs in regular EF, F, M, B, italic 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

stimulated emission posted:

And here's a link to buy them from Goulet.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

NeurosisHead posted:

And here's a link to buy them from Goulet.

Remora posted:

Yes. Lamy sells replacement nibs in regular EF, F, M, B, italic 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9.

Thanks guys :)

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Mikl posted:

The Kakuno. Supposedly (I haven't tried them first-hand) they have the same nibs as the Metro/MR, Prera, etc, only they have a big :) engraved on it.

As seen here: click this.

I swapped out a Fine Kakuno nib for the Medium nib in my Metro and they're both amazingly smooth for pens that cheap.

Buy a metro and a kakuno and have a nice-looking metal pen with :) inside!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

cobalt impurity posted:

I swapped out a Fine Kakuno nib for the Medium nib in my Metro and they're both amazingly smooth for pens that cheap.

Buy a metro and a kakuno and have a nice-looking metal pen with :) inside!

True the Kakuno's nib is cute and a good writer too :)

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

surc posted:

Yeah, I've been arguing myself down from getting a LAMY Studio for a while now because I need to spend my money on things that aren't just pens, so I'd also be super interested in hearing how it writes.

FWIW I love my Lamy studio in brushed steel more than my Metro and safari. I much prefer the round section to that of the safari. Plus comes with a converter.

Any thoughts on an Ahab for a first venture into (semi) flex?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Slimchandi posted:

FWIW I love my Lamy studio in brushed steel more than my Metro and safari. I much prefer the round section to that of the safari. Plus comes with a converter.

The flex in no way compares to a vintage gold nib, but you can't go wrong for the price. You've got an ebonite feed, your choice of #6 nibs, and a durable body you can easily breakdown to clean. Where the pen really shines is as a tinker's pen; you can pretty much infinitely fiddle with the nib and feed and different nibs to get it to write exactly the way you want it to.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Okay, the first package I thought was completely missing from an Ebay transaction arrived. Bought a pair of blue Jinhao 599s on September the third 2014, planning to give them away on Christmas or new Years or something.
From September to February, haha.
Did not consider them too big a loss, they were 1.5 or so bucks each (free shipping) and the rest of the stuff I had gotten to give away arrived just in time.
Oh well, they write well and are very smooth. Gonna give one to my dad and one to my sister (unless she rejects it because she does not like the Lamy Safari and its knockoffs that much). 6 months is the longest it's taken for something to arrive, haha.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Field-tested my new Hero 266 at work today. The nib wrote smoothly, and it was wonderfully fine and enjoyable to write with.... until I looked at my hand. drat thing was leaking ink like a burst water main. Looks like I picked up a dodgy one. Kind of to be expected for that price-point. Still, undaunted, I hit up ebay during my lunch break and ordered a small grab-bag of cheap pens. One of them should work.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Slimchandi posted:

It's a interesting writer to say the least but be prepared to play around with it if it doesn't work great at start.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Anyone know anything (vintage / style) about the pen on the left? It's a Waterman but I have no idea how long I've had it, how much I paid for it, where I got it, etc. I'd love to know more about it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

rigeek posted:

Anyone know anything (vintage / style) about the pen on the left? It's a Waterman but I have no idea how long I've had it, how much I paid for it, where I got it, etc. I'd love to know more about it.

Waterman Laureat. I'd guess mid 90s

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Sweet. Thanks!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Slimchandi posted:

You might want to check out the desiderata pen company - a one man operation run by a really chill guy named Pierre. Here is a video.

http://youtu.be/T7J-yADVRY0

Here is a page I made comparing the Desiderata and Ahab (excuse the camera phone quality). My handwriting has s long way to go, but you can see the difference in both the fine-ness of the line and the width between the pens.

Desiderata Mercury and Noodler's Ahab. Fyi don't judge this based on my handwriting...I have a lo more practice in front of me. by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

It takes a lot of pressure to get the Ahab to flex to max, like,and uncomfortable amount of pressure. For non flex writing, I still have to apply some pressure which basically negates one of the features I love with fountain pens. I still get inconsistent up strokes. Both Ahabs I have gotten have been poor out of the box and required cutting into the feed to get enough flow. One has a defect the doesn't allow the center of the nib to line up with the channel on the top of the feed.

With the Desi, it is just another thing altogether. It takes Zebra G nibs (a dip pen nib) so while you are still not getting a wet noodle, you get tons more flex, more consistency, and the ability to write very fine when not pressing at all. I am slowly trying to learn Spencerian and that was just an exercise in frustration with the Ahab.

The cheapest Desiderata pen (the Daedalus) is 50 bucks. I splurged and got a ebony/rosewood pen and man is it beautiful. The Ahab is 20. The Daedalus was just released this month so he is really backed up right now.

I don't work for the guy btw, as much as I am plugging it. They are just really nice pens and a great way to learn how to use a flex, and I've been frustrated with the Ahab.

rio fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 8, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

rio posted:

I don't work for the guy btw, as much as I am plugging it. They are just really nice pens and a great way to learn how to use a flex, and I've been frustrated with the Ahab.

Nice but your photos are kinda breaking the forums so you might want to re-size or fix that. How is the wood finish? I considered it but not sure how often I'd want to rely on dip pens for writing as I have other vtg pens too.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Tore through this thread over the weekend, now I have an order from Goulet for a violet Pilot Metro and a Rhodia notepad. Thanks. :mad:

I figure I'll get one sample for when the ink in the Pilot Metro's cartridge runs out. Was thinking of this one, Diamine Eclipse, although I was also considering the Noodler Zhivago too. I just want something that won't feather or bleed too much and that I can use for writing essays and taking notes but isn't just black or blue. Is it a terrible choice?

Also, in my cart at the moment is a medium Pilot Metro, which I gather runs a bit finer than other fountain pens because it's a Japanese company. I do plan to use it for Arabic as well as English though, so I'm wondering if my Arabic would look neater if I stepped down to the fine PM instead.

fake edit: I also decided to get syringes instead of the piston converter. I haven't even started yet :stonk:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Tore through this thread over the weekend, now I have an order from Goulet for a violet Pilot Metro and a Rhodia notepad. Thanks. :mad:

I figure I'll get one sample for when the ink in the Pilot Metro's cartridge runs out. Was thinking of this one, Diamine Eclipse, although I was also considering the Noodler Zhivago too. I just want something that won't feather or bleed too much and that I can use for writing essays and taking notes but isn't just black or blue. Is it a terrible choice?

Also, in my cart at the moment is a medium Pilot Metro, which I gather runs a bit finer than other fountain pens because it's a Japanese company. I do plan to use it for Arabic as well as English though, so I'm wondering if my Arabic would look neater if I stepped down to the fine PM instead.

fake edit: I also decided to get syringes instead of the piston converter. I haven't even started yet :stonk:

There's a specific nib grind for arabic writing, since it tends to have wide horizontals and narrow verticals making it the exact opposite of western writing. An oblique nib is kind of close, I guess, but not spot on. If you just want to keep it as fine and legible as possible without capturing the character of the line weights the medium would be fine, but the fine might be better depending on how heavy your hand is.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I don't do that much writing - mostly taking notes on stuff at work - and I'm studying for a certification exam by taking notes from a book. I found that I was wearing out my hand with a normal ballpoint pen so I ordered a Pilot Petit from Amazon, which just arrived.

What a joy this is to use, just on first impressions. I don't have to apply pressure, just touch it to the paper and boom. It's taking some getting used to in order to not blot ink as I go but it is so nice and smooth.

Thanks, thread! Hopefully this helps me write more notes and thus learn more!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

One of us, one of us...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't splattered the walls in my new office with Baystate Blue yet but I just finished cleaning 54th Mass off my monitor so it's really only a matter of time :haw:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I haven't splattered the walls in my new office with Baystate Blue yet but I just finished cleaning 54th Mass off my monitor so it's really only a matter of time :haw:

What are you doing with your pens that you're splattering ink on you monitor?

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

My local pen shop didn't stock either of the things I wanted: Pilot Parallels and TWSBI diamond 580. So I walked out with a bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue and a frown.

Incidentally, Private Reserve has finally corrected the spelling of Avacado to Avocado! Also it's my favorite ink!

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I just got in the test tube rack recommended here recently, and I have a test tube rack 80% filled with ink samples. I think I have a small problem. It could be worse, but I didn't realize I had so many. But now they are organized by color!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

grack posted:

What are you doing with your pens that you're splattering ink on you monitor?

I has an incident with a syringe and an air bubble.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

milpreve posted:

I just got in the test tube rack recommended here recently, and I have a test tube rack 80% filled with ink samples. I think I have a small problem. It could be worse, but I didn't realize I had so many. But now they are organized by color!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webasaur
Mar 13, 2010
So, still happy with the Pilot Metro I got forever ago in Mediium nib. But I know that they've got a Metro in a fine nib now, and it's something I've been eyeballing every time I look at fountain pens. The question I have is, are there other Pilot pens that would come in that fine nib, and what would be the difference in getting one of those versus another Metro? Because it is such a solid pen, I'm just trying to think why I would want to get a different model by Pilot. So aesthetically, or functionality wise, are there better Pilot pens?