Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DarkCrawler posted:

All the most iconic covers are full of weird unexplained poo poo. Who's the terrified guy Spider-Man is carrying? Why is Superman destroying a car and terrifying everyone? If laser beams and rocket launcher haven't done the trick why does Iceman think that snowballs will - and where the hell is Beast swinging from?

They should include introductory material so you get the backstory behind the cover. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Please post panels from the comic where they meet the scared guy in the foreground of that Action Comics cover.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

It's the same villain that always managed to get Superman to stand still long enough to wrap him in chains.

To be fair, if I was Superman in the early days, I'd let people chain me up just so I could burst free and scare the poo poo out of the bad guys too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The MSJ posted:

Please post panels from the comic where they meet the scared guy in the foreground of that Action Comics cover.

I googled "comic book cover backstory", and didn't get anything useful except for this picture:

From Batman: The Dark Knight #17, it says.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DarkCrawler posted:

All the most iconic covers are full of weird unexplained poo poo. Who's the terrified guy Spider-Man is carrying? Why is Superman destroying a car and terrifying everyone? If laser beams and rocket launcher haven't done the trick why does Iceman think that snowballs will - and where the hell is Beast swinging from?

I'm pretty sure that one is supposed to be (Amazing Fantasy 15 spoilers) the guy who killed Uncle Ben

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

All the most iconic covers are full of weird unexplained poo poo. Why is Superman destroying a car and terrifying everyone?
That's not "unexplained poo poo" at all. It's just a full-size image of what literally happens in the actual comic:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The MSJ posted:

It's from an issue of Batman/Superman where Darksied is a feeble powerless guy, Desad is lording it over Darkseid Superman is thrown into the Source Wall and Batman just has to have sex with Orion's wive since she's so smoking hot.

My favourite part from the Superman section is one panel where all three Batgirls show up (Cassandra Caine, Oracle and Barbara Gordon Batgirl pushing Oracle.) It's a funny section, so I'll try and post it this weekend.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

redbackground posted:

That's not "unexplained poo poo" at all. It's just a full-size image of what literally happens in the actual comic:

I like how Superman was basically wearing footy pajamas in the early days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

prefect posted:

They should include introductory material so you get the backstory behind the cover. :D
You're in luck!

Amazing Fantasy (Volume 2) #15
He didn't hear Spidey's little speech on account of screaming his head off.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

I like how Superman was basically wearing footy pajamas in the early days.

And dumped Lois on her head with the rest of them.

Superman: consistently being a dick since 1938.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

prefect posted:

I googled "comic book cover backstory", and didn't get anything useful except for this picture:

I'm glad that horrible series existed just for this cover.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm glad that horrible series existed just for this cover.

That and, "CALL ME ONE FACE"

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

goldenoreos posted:

That and, "CALL ME ONE FACE"

Batman: The Dark Knight vol. 2 no. 1 apparently?

Awful.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've tried for literally years to understand that panel and I still have no loving clue...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Batman is being accused of effeminacy by a badly scarred, Caribbean-accented Hulk.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't it just be "Face"?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

The best part of that cover is the Cheshire Bat...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wouldn't it just be "Face"?
No no no. The Face is someone completely different. He's most notable for suggesting Ms. Martian turn into a giant vulva for him to perform oral sex on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

No no no. The Face is someone completely different. He's most notable for suggesting Ms. Martian turn into a giant vulva for him to perform oral sex on.

...Tell me you're joking. Tell me you made that up. I don't care if it's ACTUALLY true, I just need you to tell me it's not.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

...Tell me you're joking. Tell me you made that up. I don't care if it's ACTUALLY true, I just need you to tell me it's not.

The fact that you even have to ask is the most damning indictment of comic books.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Phylodox posted:

The fact that you even have to ask is the most damning indictment of comic books.

Well that and the fact is in in fact, true.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

WHAT DID I SAY? I ASKED FOR THE OPPOSITE OF THIS!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

CharlestheHammer posted:

I had to look up The Face.
Th... This guy?

:stare:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Well. It was only implied and I suppose The Face might be gay or bisexual and was suggesting she turn into a giant penis. It was at the start of One Year Later Teen Titans.

Edit: That's him!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Th... This guy?

Character find of... [whatever year it was he showed up] for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He was briefly a Teen Titan so I'm sure he was brutally murdered off panel at some point.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Well. It was only implied and I suppose The Face might be gay or bisexual and was suggesting she turn into a giant penis. It was at the start of One Year Later Teen Titans.

Edit: That's him!

At the risk of sounding creepy, I'm dying to know how the writer phrased this bit of dialogue, as well as Megan's reaction. (How do you slap a guy in the face when that's all he is? Whack him in the ribs?))

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At the risk of sounding creepy, I'm dying to know how the writer phrased this bit of dialogue, as well as Megan's reaction. (How do you slap a guy in the face when that's all he is? Whack him in the ribs?))

Geoff Johns was writing. She punched him in uh the face, I guess, then he got angry and shot her with a uh face blast.

Edit: misread it. You asked how, not who. I don't really specifically just like he said something like "Well I'm a giant face and you can shape shift so why don't you heh heh" or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was gonna say that sounds like you're reading more into it than Johns meant and making it worse, then I remembered that scene from Johns' Avengers run, with Hank Pym going down on Jan.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Th... This guy?

Geodude?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Geoff Johns was writing. She punched him in uh the face, I guess, then he got angry and shot her with a uh face blast.

Edit: misread it. You asked how, not who. I don't really specifically just like he said something like "Well I'm a giant face and you can shape shift so why don't you heh heh" or something.

Yeah, that's about what I figured. Thanks!

Our very own Was Taters contributed The Face's appearance in Tiny Titans #38 on Gavok's blog, here:
http://4thletter.net/2011/03/this-week-in-panels-week-78/
(scroll about halfway down)
Why, there's he's almost :3:. I think it's the fact that his eyebrows aren't also his pecs, which breaks my brain.

Edit: where are his ears?? in his armpits? every time I go back up to look at that picture it freaks me out even more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish someone was dumb enough to buy digital versions of that run of Teen Titans to actually post the pages.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I wish someone was dumb enough to buy digital versions of that run of Teen Titans to actually post the pages.

Every time I see stuff about The Face come up, I'm honestly tempted to do just that. Just to see: "How? WHY?"

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

It wasn't written by Johns, it was Sean McKeever.

Teen Titans 69

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So I'm going to hazard a guess that the Teen Titans comic books have little to no relation to the really fun show I liked when I was 13.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The Teen Titans show is about a few preteens that more-or-less like each other having fun adventures.

The Teen Titans comic book is about teenagers with superpowers.

:v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Th... This guy?

Edit: where are his ears?? in his armpits? every time I go back up to look at that picture it freaks me out even more.

ManlyGrunting posted:

So I'm going to hazard a guess that the Teen Titans comic books have little to no relation to the really fun show I liked when I was 13.

It's just a blemmyae. Granted, he has supowerpowers, but it's not particularly strange.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Th... This guy?

I remember killing him repeatedly in Serious Sam!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ManlyGrunting posted:

You would be correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

I remember killing him repeatedly in Serious Sam!

This one. This one is my favorite :allears: