Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Looks like a young Sarah Silverman.

but less hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

They've started shooting on AKA Jessica Jones

So not shocking or relevatory or anything but that's what Jess is going to look like.

The character played by Krysten Ritter looks like Krysten Ritter... in a SCARF?! :aaa:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if they are going to do an analogue to the Bagley drawn Jewel flashback issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I wonder if they are going to do an analogue to the Bagley drawn Jewel flashback issue.

I would assume so since they cast Purple Man.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

bobkatt013 posted:

I would assume so since they cast Purple Man.

I know nothing about Jessica Jones or this Purple Man guy but now I have to check out it since David Tennant is playing him. Guy is pretty intense. :stare:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

WarLocke posted:

I know nothing about Jessica Jones or this Purple Man guy but now I have to check out it since David Tennant is playing him. Guy is pretty intense. :stare:

Haha. Oh you're in for a lot of fun :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't wait for Luke Cage to go berserk on PM in season 2 of AKAJJ.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can't wait for the Tennant fangirls to draw art of them dating Purple man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I literally just shuddered. IRL.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure it's already happened.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Lurdiak posted:

It'll be Purple Man and Rose actually

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gaz-L posted:

The character played by Krysten Ritter looks like Krysten Ritter... in a SCARF?! :aaa:

Infinity Scarf? Confirmed, Ritter in Infinity War.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight's episode of Constantine was kind of weird as they told an Eclipso story without ever using the name Eclipso.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Klungar posted:

The thing I read about Supergirl's first villain The Lumberjack was that he had fought Superman before.

Wow, there's a name to strike dread in the hearts of all who hear it. What's happened, did he put on a radioactive plaid shirt or cut himself on an axe from another planet?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Sentinel Red posted:

Wow, there's a name to strike dread in the hearts of all who hear it. What's happened, did he put on a radioactive plaid shirt or cut himself on an axe from another planet?

He's basically just a larger than average Canadian in the middle of an angry bender.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Chaos Hippy posted:

He's basically just a larger than average Canadian in the middle of an angry bender.

So he's a hockey fan?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

Because they couldn't use Ted Kord, but they already had their stories planned out.

Did Ted Kord ever had energy beams? I thought he was just a smart guy with a flying car or something

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

StumblyWumbly posted:

Did Ted Kord ever had energy beams? I thought he was just a smart guy with a flying car or something

According to wikis, his beetle ship had energy beams sometimes.

It also stands to reason that they might have considered giving him an energy weapon since new Blue Beetle has them built in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Error 404 posted:

So he's a hockey fan?

The Leafs loosing so much is bound to have consequences.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

StumblyWumbly posted:

BB Gun. High intensity strobe flash and cyclonic gun built into a pistol

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

Does he sleep all night? Does he work all day?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Leafs fans are used to it. There would be more insanity of they actually made the playoffs. I think I just came up with an origin story for the lumberjack.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He might be a serial killer.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Was Arrow always this poorly paced and annoying to watch? Did Manu Bennet's rugged mug blind me to the dismal and shoddy writing last season? This season's been a slog to get through but all the post-break episodes have felt like I'm watching a later season of Smallville. I've never seen the CW wasting disease hit a show so early.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

That's called autumn, see? Mwah!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 7, 2015

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Sanschel posted:

Was Arrow always this poorly paced and annoying to watch? Did Manu Bennet's rugged mug blind me to the dismal and shoddy writing last season? This season's been a slog to get through but all the post-break episodes have felt like I'm watching a later season of Smallville. I've never seen the CW wasting disease hit a show so early.

I stopped watching Arrow after the end of season one because of how annoying and poorly written it was. I really REALLY don't understand what people see in that snooze fest.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I never got into Arrow myself, but I know people who really like it. What I wonder is how many members of Arrow's writing and production staff left the show to start up The Flash? I can think of several examples (TNG to DS9, Buffy to Angel to Firefly off the top of my head) where the creation of a spin-off drained too many of the best people to the new show with detrimental effects on the parent show.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Error 404 posted:

So he's a hockey fan?

Didn't I already say Canadian?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

Didn't I already say Canadian?

He could've been into curling!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sanschel posted:

There's been a definite noticeable decline in quality this season. The Flash seems more on par with the direction Arrow was heading during season 2. I don't know why S3 pumped the brakes so hard, but it isn't like they didn't warn us before it started. The showrunners pretty much said they were pumping the brakes and dialing it back from S2.

What is making this season worse though is that while S1 was also kind of really slow, the flashbacks were at least important to the story in a more obvious way. We had no idea what happened to Ollie on the island, so each flashback was a revelation of something, and was sometimes directly tied into what was happening in the present. S2 flashbacks were similarly relevant. In S3, they flashbacks have seemed kind of irrelevant so far. Maseo and Katana have only been important because they showed up to help Ollie after the duel, so prior to basically the beginning of the second half of the season, almost nothing in the flashbacks has been relevant.

Ollie working for Waller and being forced to torture people? ARGUS and Waller have barely figured into anything in the first half of the season so far.
The OMEGA/ALPHA vials? Nothing to do with anything happening in the season so far.
White haired lady whats-her-face? Irrelevant to the present story arc so far.
The little kid? Irrelevant.

Having nearly half of most episodes devoted to poo poo that seems to have nothing to do with what is going on in the present is hamstringing the hell out of the show. I was actually really frustrated two episodes ago when they kept flashing back to Maseo and Ollie trying to get his wife back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Can the flashbacks not just be a story in their own right? Does every single thing that happened to Oliver have to be specifically relevant to the A-plot and in that order?
And even leaving that point aside, the flashbacks have been making a pretty obvious point that Waller's what caused him to lose his humanity, and the group in Starling is what helped him gain it back. Building to the question if he's willing to sell his soul again to kill Ra's, even to save his sister.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

...Can the flashbacks not just be a story in their own right? Does every single thing that happened to Oliver have to be specifically relevant to the A-plot and in that order?
And even leaving that point aside, the flashbacks have been making a pretty obvious point that Waller's what caused him to lose his humanity, and the group in Starling is what helped him gain it back. Building to the question if he's willing to sell his soul again to kill Ra's, even to save his sister.

Flashbacks as a literary device usually have a specific purpose. Telling two separate stories that are unrelated but involve the same character in two different time periods is bad storytelling.

The flashbacks have obviously been building toward a point, but the problem is that the pacing of them has been abysmal. Which is the top complaint of this season, besides some generally wonky writing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The flashbacks have been pretty lacking this season and I think now should have been the time to spread them around other characters more.
The present stuff has LOADS of good/fun/cool moments but what leads up to them is muddled, character-wise, in a way the show has not been before.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

He could've been into curling!

Our national sport is actually Lacrosse.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 7, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Flashbacks as a literary device usually have a specific purpose. Telling two separate stories that are unrelated but involve the same character in two different time periods is bad storytelling.

Yes but you never run consecutive flashbacks that advance at the same pace as the main story because when you do you get the total idiocy of every solution Oliver has ever needed occurring exactly 5 years earlier.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
They basically had so much to cover in season 2 (Slade, magic goo, introducing The Flash, that dumb business subplot with Ravager, Dig and the Suicide Squad, Moira, etc.) that they had to do it all incredibly quickly, so it was all fast-paced and dramatic and worked really well. This season they've obviously tried to keep up the pace but didn't have enough content so it ended up being just a ton of filler with no point. There are still some cool episodes but it's just nowhere near as good as season 2 because they're trying to do the same thing with much less content.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Yes but you never run consecutive flashbacks that advance at the same pace as the main story because when you do you get the total idiocy of every solution Oliver has ever needed occurring exactly 5 years earlier.

That lack of forward thought has been my major complaint of the season. Merlyn can travel from Starling to the Himalayas, climb a mountain, and make it back in like a day; Merlyn mentions having killed the man who killed his wife, but almost before he can get the words out he's proven wrong. Both of these examples should've been stretched over few episodes; Merlyn found the bloody sword! What will he do with it? Merlyn finds out he killed a (relatively) innocent man! Won't that make for interesting tension between him and Thea, or a neat rivalry with him and Brick? No, just shoehorn all this potential conflict and development into five minutes of quick scenes and wash your hands of it as soon as the characters aren't on screen anymore.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That's why writing is a skill and not some kind of binary thing you either do or don't do. Hence why a literary device can be used either improperly to varying degrees or why a story can be interesting but have issues with pacing. Which is what the negative criticism is here.

No one is saying that every flashback needs to be directly related to the episode its in, all I am saying is that maybe they should cut back on Ollie flashbacks if they are that dry on material. They could have summed up almost everything we've seen in his Hong Kong adventures in like one episode. Waller is mean and made Ollie mean. Maseo eventually became a friend. Maseo loves Katana.

Honestly, I straight up don't even remember what the significance of the MacGuffin they are looking for is anymore. It's been so drawn out and inconsequential to anything that I do not remember if they even explained wtf the Omega/Alpha virus vial things are anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I just found out that the shooting title for AKA Jessica Jones (to, in theory, hide from locals what's being shot) is "Violet".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

...I just found out that the shooting title for AKA Jessica Jones (to, in theory, hide from locals what's being shot) is "Violet".

That just has me tickled pink.