Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This is the first early access game I feel really good about buying.

The game is just bursting with personality. Such a great aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Hellion feels like, on top of everything else she is great at, the best boss killer as well. Gets a big damage buff in camp, can reliably hit all the bosses with powerful attacks, and can inflict bleed as well which is great against the Hag. I kind of think the Hellion is a bit too good. She can fight from any position and has so many good moves to work with. For that much versatility she isn't really fragile either.

Well yeah, she's one of the designated combat classes. Also in this category is the Crusader, who gets the most powerful stun-based trinket in the game, share's the hellion's base damage, and rocks a constant 35% bonus damage to unholy at max level. Slightly less effective at clearing the back rows without someone else in the party to shuffle. But he's more effective with a shuffler, and you can clear the front rows quickly to bring the back rows to you without one.

The Leper is supposed to be one, but his accuracy is just too low, even with trinkets. The bounty hunter is also a definitely combat class.

This is a game where one of the (unimplemented) classes has been mentioned as "bad in combat, but you'll make more money with one." So I'd imagine that when class passives start showing up some of the less combative classes may end up much better. If the Plague Doctor gave %HP regeneration for every new tile/room explored I'd consider bringing her instead of Vestals, for example. If the Grave Digger could use her pickaxe as a shovel an unlimited number of times that would encourage people to experiment with her, but bringing 3 wouldn't really be any better for utility.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Lotish posted:

That's the reason I like the "clear 100 room battles" objective more than the "clear 90% of rooms" objective--sometimes you luck out and clear all the room battles in less than five minutes. :v:

This image from one of the House on the Borderlands adaptations looks familiar.

Well House on the Borderlands is about a house (supposedly built by the devil) standing on the edge of a chasm that turns out to contain a gateway to another dimension in the basement. This is basically part of the DD backstory. The part is probably Rats in the Walls (which also contains some fantastic insane breakdown ranting).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 7, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TheBlandName posted:

So I'd imagine that when class passives start showing up
¿?

What was the link to the developer roadmap again?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I decided to demonstrate how stupidly overpowered Gravediggersrobbers are but 14 rooms in to this Level 3 Large Dungeon on my level 2 Gravediggersrobbers party, a stupid Tenacious Crone/Slavering Ghoul battle actually managed to do this to our stress (everyone was around 30% before this fight)

The Ghoul broke 2 Gravediggersrobbers before I finished him off (the third had her resolve tested by a barrier to the last room after all the enemies were dead), but it's really not a problem here because as I mentioned in my earlier post, this party can ignore every gimmick in the game. Afflictions? Who cares. If it was actually important, maybe I would have used one of these campfires before completing a 0-light dungeon that was higher level than my party members??

Nah, the idea of stacking things even further in the favor of Gravediggersrobbers is preposterous.

:tipshat:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 7, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I made a big post on the Steam forums about what improvements I think Plague Doctors and Lepers need.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/2/612823460265142400/

I expect it to become swiftly lost in the howling void that is the steam discussion forums, not sure why I bothered, but I had the thoughts and wanted to get them down somewhere where some dev might see them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Norns posted:

This is the first early access game I feel really good about buying.

The game is just bursting with personality. Such a great aesthetic.

I would no poo poo love to play a castlevania type action game in this setting, with the narrator intact.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Those are some great suggestions, Heironymous. Permission to link to that to the devs' official twitter?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kyrosiris posted:

Those are some great suggestions, Heironymous. Permission to link to that to the devs' official twitter?

Ha of course, I'm not gonna complain about publicity :P

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Jackard posted:

¿?

What was the link to the developer roadmap again?

There isn't one. But there's a section on your character info sheet for class bonuses, and the devs were active on some Twitch streams in the 3 days of early-early access and some of that information has spread been spread around. After that I'm just making guesses from the fact that Darkest Dungeon is certainly drawing a lot of cues from early D&D killer DMing and the fact that some classes are just plain better at combat right now. The specific examples I gave were just things I'd personally try before giving up and homogenizing the classes so you have 3 interchangeable healers and 5 interchangeable front-liners and 4 options for back-row damage and X other classes that just got hosed.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
in 25+ weeks ive literally never seen a grave digger. i wonder if you need to have stagecoach at a certain level?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I made a big post on the Steam forums about what improvements I think Plague Doctors and Lepers need.

I expect it to become swiftly lost in the howling void that is the steam discussion forums, not sure why I bothered, but I had the thoughts and wanted to get them down somewhere where some dev might see them.
Nice, maybe also crosspost it to the official website forums: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/forums/

Although the site seems to be getting hammered lately and is kinda sluggish. Also you have to deal with the... eccentricities... of a WordPress integrated message board.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Verviticus posted:

in 25+ weeks ive literally never seen a grave digger. i wonder if you need to have stagecoach at a certain level?
Probably because they're called Grave Robbers :spergin:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What size is the apprentice necromancer? 1 or 2? Camping on my way to meet him and trying to decide which camp skills to use.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh good, you saved me from making some bad choices just now. Another boss question: is there a locked chest or anything in their room? I'm a few rooms away from the necro and I've got an heirloom chest here that I'm itching to use my last key on. Should I, or will that cost me some, uh, phat lewt when I reach the end?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Leper doesn't really need a buff, imo. Once you upgrade him a little, he destroys everything. Get a little lucky with quirks and be real scrupulous about getting rid of anything that reduces accuracy, and you don't even have to worry about using his +ACC buff.

As for the whole "can't do poo poo if he gets pushed back", well it's good for classes to have weaknesses.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
In my experience, the boss reward chests don't upgrade with supply items.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Personally I think more classes should be like the leper and not more like the Hellion. I am okay with Grave Robbers as is because I like the whole "SUPER FLEXIBLE" niche but all their skills need tuning. Their basic attack is just too good with its placement options and numbers.

Also if the Hag fight wasn't a thing, I don't think the Leper's inability to hit the back ranks would be seen as a massive disadvantage but rather as a side effect of the class. I like the Leper as is, although I do think its accuracy should be bumped up just a hair. It's a fun class to use as it is and has you making decisions. If I had any criticism it's that Leper is probably a bit too comparable to Crusader but I think the game has classes coming out in pairs when it comes to similarity. Hellion/Grave/Highwaymen are vaguely similar, Crusader/Leper are vaguely similar, Plague/BH are vaguely similar, Occultist/Vestal are vaguely similar. Jester is the only truly unique class I think.

I hate Hellion because as someone mentioned, there's pretty much no downside to putting the Hellion anywhere or using it in any way you can imagine. It will always get work done and get it done well.

I agree completely about the Plague Doctor though, because it does seem like lost potential.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 7, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

paranoid randroid posted:

Leper doesn't really need a buff, imo. Once you upgrade him a little, he destroys everything. Get a little lucky with quirks and be real scrupulous about getting rid of anything that reduces accuracy, and you don't even have to worry about using his +ACC buff.

As for the whole "can't do poo poo if he gets pushed back", well it's good for classes to have weaknesses.

Eh, there's a reason his section is shorter :P

It just really really annoys me that he has nothing to do in the Hag fight.

Rascyc posted:

Personally I think more classes should be like the leper and not more like the Hellion. I am okay with Grave Robbers as is because I like the whole "SUPER FLEXIBLE" niche but all their skills need tuning. Their basic attack is just too good with its placement options and numbers.

Yeah I don't really want to get into which classes need to be worse because w/e it's single player and if an all grave robber party is broken then go for it. If I were I'd probably be thinking about Jesters because their song buffs trivialize Long dungeons, but stuff like heal stunning etc. need to be figured out first before that kind of thing gets tweaked.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 7, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah the Hag fight needs revamped. I suspect even if you gave Lepers an attack that hits the back row, your common player wouldn't even slot it because it'll be seen as an auxiliary skill and the other Leper skills are more useful.

The Hag fight is mostly stupid for people who first encounter it. I hope they change it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rascyc posted:

The Hag fight is mostly stupid for people who first encounter it. I hope they change it.

Maybe make the pot one rank wide?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I actually took a leper on the hag fight, under the assumption that if he gets put in the pot he has enough HP that I can just burn the hag down before he even comes close to dying, and if someone else gets put in the pot he can get them out immediately with his outrageous front row damage.

Went ok. Maybe make it so he can use his self-buffs anywhere.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The all grave robber party is at least offset in the fact you want to play in all-dark for the bonuses, however playing in all-dark is visually ugly. It's an interesting take on the game but I can't stand it for more than a few minutes personally.

But I will always take a Grave Robber over a Highwayman. The Highwayman does get clean guns however...

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

I actually took a leper on the hag fight, under the assumption that if he gets put in the pot he has enough HP that I can just burn the hag down before he even comes close to dying, and if someone else gets put in the pot he can get them out immediately with his outrageous front row damage.

Went ok. Maybe make it so he can use his self-buffs anywhere.

I tried this and he very very quickly ended up in the third row.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rascyc posted:

Pretty good considering the apprentice has like 70% stun resist.

I was just doing a "scout run" with my B-team to get money to upgrade my A-team and it just happened that every single person had some sort of stun ability. So every turn I had 4 attempts to stun him. I also brought 0 torches for the dungeon, ooops.

I'm now getting to the point where people will refuse to go on dungeons because they are too high/low level. I really don't like that, just give me some exp penalties or something. Is there any way to mod this out?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I imagine its so you cant grind a level 9 party out from just overpowering trough level 1 dungeons.

Tried to do a level 3 dungeon for the first time and the very first fight stressed out my entire party and then killed my best Hellion :(

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I like the leper as he is. Sure, he can't hit anything in the back row and has low accuracy, but when he does hit he hits like a truck and if the front row has a weaker member the back row quickly becomes the front row. Plus anyone with a pull or shuffle ability can help him murder the squishies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah the Hag fight needs revamped. I suspect even if you gave Lepers an attack that hits the back row, your common player wouldn't even slot it because it'll be seen as an auxiliary skill and the other Leper skills are more useful.

Yeah the Hag is a little too hard and the Necromancer is a little too easy. If they guaranteed you'd encounter the Necromancer first, then the Pig, then the Hag, you could kinda progress, but its random so they should be more or less balanced.

Course on the Pig if you pick the wrong strategy its pretty much a wipe forcing you to learn the hard way, which is also kinda dumb.

Still the base game is fantastic and this is EA, they could so very easily add a ton of bosses in the coming months.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

I tried this and he very very quickly ended up in the third row.

Mine ended up all the way at the back, but the fight was almost over so whatever. It "worked" but it's not something I would recommend.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Anyone know how to cheat in some gold? I Go to take on necromancer with last 3k gold, only medium dungeons available, and it crashed, took my gold, and is making me re-provision for the run. I have zero mooks i wish to suicide right now. :smithicide:

Edit: just crashed same way, eating remaining 1k gold, and a third time. Fourth run with zero provisions is working though! thanks game!

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 7, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just go on the mission and take the 10k floor gold then make a judgement call on going back or not???

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Re: Hag, instead of making the cauldron a wall it should be a minion (less of a meatshield) that can be resummoned. The cauldron could have different properties such as cauldron of poison (blight), cauldron of hexing (debuff) and so forth. Its dmg would then be more transparent as in it can only dmg the hero inside once a turn, but increasing dmg the longer the hero is stewing. Give the hag slightly more hp and/or protection against aoe/ranged to give incentive for party to go through the cauldron and allow it to be resummoned.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
What kind of bonuses do Grave Robbers get for fighting in the dark?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Lol shall I upgrade wyrd reconstruction?

Going from 0-12 healed with 1 pt of bleed for 3 turns to 0-14 healed with 2 pts of bleed for 3 turns sure seems like a good investment!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Demicol posted:

I imagine its so you cant grind a level 9 party out from just overpowering trough level 1 dungeons.

Tried to do a level 3 dungeon for the first time and the very first fight stressed out my entire party and then killed my best Hellion :(

Your guys will stop going into level 1 dungeons at 3, you can't do that.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I decided to demonstrate how stupidly overpowered Gravediggersrobbers are but 14 rooms in to this Level 3 Large Dungeon on my level 2 Gravediggersrobbers party, a stupid Tenacious Crone/Slavering Ghoul battle actually managed to do this to our stress (everyone was around 30% before this fight)

The Ghoul broke 2 Gravediggersrobbers before I finished him off (the third had her resolve tested by a barrier to the last room after all the enemies were dead), but it's really not a problem here because as I mentioned in my earlier post, this party can ignore every gimmick in the game. Afflictions? Who cares. If it was actually important, maybe I would have used one of these campfires before completing a 0-light dungeon that was higher level than my party members??

Nah, the idea of stacking things even further in the favor of Gravediggersrobbers is preposterous.

:tipshat:

I started with a Healer, Graverobber, Graverobber, Highwayman group and its pretty fun. Every now and again the highway man bounces to the front and does a massive CQC shot normally killing what ever enemy is in front of him.

Other than that I roll with a Healer, Graverobber, Hellion and Crusader they are fairly unstopable.

I'm really not keen on the Witchdocter or the Mage guy but I have not really managed to get one fully leveled to 3 yet so that may be the problem

I'm pretty happy with this as an EA game at a time where rubbish is being passed off as EA nowdays for companys to make cash grabs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Occultists are pretty good. Pull, high-damage AOE back-rank attack, can provide marking for Bounty Hunters, strong if random single target heal, even a decent 3rd slot melee attack with a high crit chance. I'm not sure any of that is better than the Vestal's party heal and stun, at least early on, but they're definitely better than Plague Doctors (who are only around for their double back row stun).

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

tatankatonk posted:

They don't get anything specific to grave robbers but you get a 6% crit bonus at 0 torch, which works well with their already high crit rate. Occultists have even higher crit rates but outside of Abyssal Artillery and Sacrificial Stab their offense is a bit weaker.

how me a frog posted:

Lol shall I upgrade wyrd reconstruction?

Going from 0-12 healed with 1 pt of bleed for 3 turns to 0-14 healed with 2 pts of bleed for 3 turns sure seems like a good investment!

The bleed gets resisted pretty often as is, you can wear cleansing crystals to lower chance of bleeding, and if you really need to desperately stop a bleed there's always bandages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

tatankatonk posted:

It's not particular to grave robbers but everyone gets a crit bonus. You probably noticed that when you crit in this game everyone's stress goes down. If you get at least 1 or 2 crits a round, you will be dropping stress a lot. You will actually outpace the negative aspect of losing stress from low light.

You also get better loot from playing low light.

Grave Robbers works well because even if you get ambushed and shuffled, they're so flexible that it usually doesn't matter. Also contrary to an earlier post, an ambush does not always mean the enemy gets a full round of moves before you do. I almost always end up with my faster guys getting turns even when ambushed.

There are also quirks that give bonuses in low light as well so they you can use them too.

Basically if you can swing it, playing in the lowest light is better than the maximum light as long as you can tolerate it and outpace the stress with crits. The ambush shuffling is what you have to worry about the most so plan accordingly.