Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Well they are due out Q1 2015 so between now and March 31st, if they don't get delayed again. Beyond that is a crap shoot to guess a release date. If you think you will need a laptop by the end of feb I would just grab one now, If you current pc is functioning fine then you can choose to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Touchscreen? 4k? Does my y50 have features I didn't know about?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Is there a consensus recommendation about tablet/ laptops, something either detachable or convertible, for around $650? I don't mind buying used or refurbished.

Or, would saving for a surface pro 3 be my best bet?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

SouthLAnd posted:

Clevo P650SE. It can get pricey but under $1500 buys a GTX970m (twice as many shaders as the GTX860 in the Lenovo), an IPS display, and m.2 expansion slots capable of utilizing PCIe SSDs. It has a pretty restrained appearance as well.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Clevo-P651SE-Schenker-XMG-P505-Barebones-Notebook-Review.127978.0.html
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8651-clevo-p650se-p-7690.html
I'm considering this with enough additional crap to bring it to $1500, or a GT60 Dominator and a big sticker to cover up the retarded dragon logo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Arglebargle III posted:

Touchscreen? 4k? Does my y50 have features I didn't know about?

There are 4K+Touch versions of the y50, but the 4K screen only has 45hz IIRC.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

marjorie posted:

A few questions:
a) I've been spoiled by great standalone monitors for awhile; will I be ok with a 1600x900, or should I prioritize 1920x1080?
b) Given my usage scenarios, on what processor group should I be focusing? i5s? Are i3s useless? Pentiums? You get the point...
c) Is it generally cheaper to buy a laptop with an SSD, or install one aftermarket (or is it purely case-by-case)?
d) How important is a dedicated graphics card? I'm assuming the old Origin games will play with integrated graphics, but probably not XCOM or STO, right?

Thanks for any help!

Screen resolution is different for anyone. You need to just go to best buy or something and use some of their display models to get a feel for how low you can go.

An I5 is probably perfect for your use case. There isn't as much difference between an I5 and I7 in laptops as there is in desktops.

Integrated graphics have made huge leaps forward. I don't have any problems playing xcom on mine. I have no experience with STO. There are several benchmarking sites that will give you framerates for various games with various cards, check them out.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Is there a consensus recommendation about tablet/ laptops, something either detachable or convertible, for around $650? I don't mind buying used or refurbished.

Or, would saving for a surface pro 3 be my best bet?

Closest I've seen to a consensus is that the Surface Pro 3 is awesome. For $650, it depends on your use case and display preference. If you need a good keyboard and can get by with 16:9, then there are always good deals on ebay for the Thinkpad Helix 1 and Thinkpad Yoga (be sure you get one with a digitizer if you need a pen for digital notes/drawing).

If you don't mind the weight there's always the older tablet pc convertibles like X220 Tablet ($250 on ebay), Fujitsu T90*, or even Surface Pro 2.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Omelette du Fromage posted:

An I5 is probably perfect for your use case. There isn't as much difference between an I5 and I7 in laptops as there is in desktops.

That isn't really true. While there isn't much difference between a dual core mobile i5 and a dual core mobile i7 all* Intel quad core mobile chips are i7s and which can make a hell of a big difference.

On the desktop side almost all i5 and almost all i7s are quad core so the main difference is whether hyperthreading is available - depending on what you are using the PC for this might make bugger all difference.

* Leaving Atom based models aside

feller
Jul 5, 2006

dissss posted:

That isn't really true. While there isn't much difference between a dual core mobile i5 and a dual core mobile i7 all* Intel quad core mobile chips are i7s and which can make a hell of a big difference.

On the desktop side almost all i5 and almost all i7s are quad core so the main difference is whether hyperthreading is available - depending on what you are using the PC for this might make bugger all difference.

* Leaving Atom based models aside

Oh you're right, I was only thinking of ultrabooks when I wrote that part for some reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another catch is that on a lot of models from the major manufacturers you can only get 4gb with an i5, the ram upgrade is only bundled with the processor upgrade.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
So to be extra clear, if I'm buying a new laptop and I want four separate cores, I need to be looking at i7s exclusively?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you need 2 physical with 4 logical (hyperthreaded) cores, or 4 physical cores with 8 logical cores?

i5 is two hyperthreaded cores (4 logical cores) and the i7 comes in two flavors

2 hyperthreaded cores (2 physical cores, 4 logical) - basically a beefy i5, and
4 hyperthreaded cores (4 physical corews, 8 logical) - these specifically say QM in the model number

Depends entirely on what you need. Generally you have a BS and are doing some sort of engineering work if you need 4 hyperthreaded cores on a mobile laptop but ymmv. The i5 only comes in a 2 physical core model, "true" physical quad core only comes in i7 flavor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So did HP get rid of the Customize Your PC option in their online store? I'd prefer not to have to call their customer service number to ask about that, if I can avoid it.

And while I'm thinking about it, when is Windows 10 supposedly being released? I really don't want to buy a new laptop running Windows 7/8 only to watch as the Windows 10 systems get released two months later. I'm assuming it's still a ways off, but I'm a little wary of buying a PC in the near future if it's gonna come out within the year.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 7, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Calidus posted:

I would most likely wait for the T450 because of the nice touchpad and buttons but the T440P with the 1080 IPS screen is a great Dev laptop. I don't mind the the touchpad on the T440P but I have it in a dock connected to a mouse and keyboard 80% of the time.

It looks like you can use the T450 trackpad to replace the T440 ones.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

And while I'm thinking about it, when is Windows 10 supposedly being released? I really don't want to buy a new laptop running Windows 7/8 only to watch as the Windows 10 systems get released two months later. I'm assuming it's still a ways off, but I'm a little wary of buying a PC in the near future if it's gonna come out within the year.

That will be a free upgrade for Win7/8 users.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/windows-10-free-upgrade/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

Has anyone used the X1 Carbon 2 (the 2014 edition)? I'm curious as to how good the touchpad and keyboard are.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 7, 2015

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

:siren: The Thinkpad W550s is showing up on the Barnes & Noble page starting at $1259, about $2k fully loaded.

Besides the watt/hrs what is the difference between these two 6 cells, assuming the "HC Rear" one is more bulky and sticks out further? Since they are hotswappable that seems a bit unnecessary
* ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC Rear [-$5]
* ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Rear
* ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (47Whr) Cylindrical [+$5]

Also curious what the NVIDIA Quadro K620M w/ 2GB VRAM equates to in GeForce models, more/less gaming power than a 960m?

sadus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 7, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

sadus posted:

:siren: The Thinkpad W550s is showing up on the Barnes & Noble page starting at $1259, about $2k fully loaded.

Besides the watt/hrs what is the difference between these two 6 cells, assuming the "HC Rear" one is more bulky and sticks out further? Since they are hotswappable that seems a bit unnecessary
* ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cyl HC Rear [-$5]
* ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (23.2Whr) Rear
* ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (47Whr) Cylindrical [+$5]

Also curious what the NVIDIA Quadro K620M w/ 2GB VRAM equates to in GeForce models, more/less gaming power than a 960m?

I'm going to guess it will be significantly less powerful than a 960/965m. Spec sheet lists they come with either a 45 or 65 watt power adapter which leads me to believe we might be looking at something around an 840M (Quadro-ized anyways).
https://www.thinkworkstations.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ThinkPad-W550s-Datasheet-3.pdf

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 7, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay great, so I don't need to worry about that then.

But it sounds like I need to make a phone call to HP about that online store of theirs. gently caress. :(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

blowfish posted:

Oh poo poo I hope this is true

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

blowfish posted:

I am very tempted to try this.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey I just placed an order for a Toshiba Chromebook.

Is it worthwhile, or should I cancel the order (hasn't been processed yet) and get something else?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Do you need 2 physical with 4 logical (hyperthreaded) cores, or 4 physical cores with 8 logical cores?

i5 is two hyperthreaded cores (4 logical cores) and the i7 comes in two flavors

2 hyperthreaded cores (2 physical cores, 4 logical) - basically a beefy i5, and
4 hyperthreaded cores (4 physical corews, 8 logical) - these specifically say QM in the model number

Depends entirely on what you need. Generally you have a BS and are doing some sort of engineering work if you need 4 hyperthreaded cores on a mobile laptop but ymmv. The i5 only comes in a 2 physical core model, "true" physical quad core only comes in i7 flavor.

Ph.D., computational astrophysics, and looking to expand into OpenMP or CUDA to speed things along. Looks like I'll be looking for QM suffixes once the research budget starts.

Thanks for the info!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Annath posted:

Hey I just placed an order for a Toshiba Chromebook.

Is it worthwhile, or should I cancel the order (hasn't been processed yet) and get something else?

You should give some detail as to what you want to use it for so that people can more aptly answer your question

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Fetus Tree posted:

You should give some detail as to what you want to use it for so that people can more aptly answer your question

Writing papers for college. Music (Spotify). Videos (primarily via my plex server). I don't expect to play much in the way of games, but like a SNES emulator or some version of ToME would be cool.

I mean don't get me wrong, it'd be great to have a nice Windows laptop, but my budget right now is like $350 and I have a desktop for games, so its more the portable research and writing functions I'm looking at.

I have tons of Dropbox storage, and I can get a 32GB SD card to expand the memory.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Ph.D., computational astrophysics, and looking to expand into OpenMP or CUDA to speed things along. Looks like I'll be looking for QM suffixes once the research budget starts.

Thanks for the info!

For some reason the quad core suffix is now MQ (and HQ) rather than QM

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks for all the advice on laptops. It looks like this search is pretty frustrating! It seems like the best laptop might actually be an upgrade of the one I'm replacing from four years ago. Asus G73 to G75. Looks pretty similar, but has better screen, better CPU, better vid chip, more ram. The one I have has held up fine, but the touchpad is garbage, and it's developed some fit+finish issues, like the feet falling off, squeaky keyboard, and the plastic starting to come loose.

I was hoping for a high-res IPS display, slimmer/more elegant form-factor etc. Even the small apples have high-res displays.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 7, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Thanks for all the advice on laptops. It looks like this search is pretty frustrating! It seems like the best laptop might actually be an upgrade of the one I'm replacing from four years ago. Asus G73 to G75. Looks pretty similar, but has better screen, better CPU, better vid chip, more ram. The one I have has held up fine, but the touchpad is garbage, and it's developed some fit+finish issues, like the feet falling off, and the plastic starting to come loose.

I was hoping for a high-res IPS display, slimmer/more elegant form-factor etc. Even the small apples have high-res displays.

17" laptops are not designed to be moved around full stop. You won't find anything with good build quality or a slim design as both of those things are irrelevant for a system that most people won't even move away from their desk.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

dissss posted:

17" laptops are not designed to be moved around full stop. You won't find anything with good build quality or a slim design as both of those things are irrelevant for a system that most people won't even move away from their desk.
Removing the 17" or gaming vid requirements opens more options, but still leaves a lot to be desired. I'd hoped more would have changed in 4 years. A lot of the ones I've looked at still use mechanical drives* and TN displays, which is pretty screwed. When my vacation's over, I might buy a 13"/15" non-gaming laptop for short trips or coding at coffee shops etc in addition to the 17"er, but need the 17"er too.

*or 8gb SSDs.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 7, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Dominoes posted:

but need the 17"er too.

Why?

15.6" is already quite big for a laptop and anything larger is always going to be niche

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

dissss posted:

Why?

15.6" is already quite big for a laptop and anything larger is always going to be niche
It'll be my only computer for a long time, and 15" screens are pretty small.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dominoes posted:

No they don't, the Air is only 1366x768 or 1440x900.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No they don't, the Air is only 1366x768 or 1440x900.
13" laptop with 2560x1600 res and a SSD

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Its obviously preference but 12.1 was the best laptop size i ever had.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macbook Pros are a premium line. The regular consumer aimed ones are the Airs.

Look at the MSI Gaming, Asus ROG or Alienware lines. Yes gaming laptops look stupid, but that's where the stuff you're looking for is going to be.

They're not going to be slim either, because a good GPU isn't slim. The cooling needs for one also don't work out too well with a slim machine.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 8, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a 30%+ chance that Apple will be unveiling the new retina Macbook Air in mid-March and a 70%+ chance that they'll do it by June. Now that Broadwell is in wide release and Skylake-M (mobile) is pushed back to 2016, mid-March 2015 is looking better and better for the new rMBA.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know which part of Lenovo Thinkpad software (at least I think that's what doing it) moves the window for you when it's extends beyond the screen edge and you move your mouse over it?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Macbook Pros are a premium line. The regular consumer aimed ones are the Airs.

Look at the MSI Gaming, Asus ROG or Alienware lines. Yes gaming laptops look stupid, but that's where the stuff you're looking for is going to be.

They're not going to be slim either, because a good GPU isn't slim. The cooling needs for one also don't work out too well with a slim machine.
Thanks. Looks like the Asus G751JT is the best bet. I'd get the $1500 model with the mech drive, and replace it with the SSD in my current comp to save $250 over the model with the SSD built in.

For $800 more there's a model with a better graphics chip (980 vs 970) and Blu-ray drive - I'll just go with the $1500 model and buy a blu-ray drive separate for $60. This seems like a better bet than the Y70, which has a 860 graphics chip and TN panel, for not much cheaper.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 8, 2015

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dominoes posted:

It'll be my only computer for a long time, and 15" screens are pretty small.

Do you travel a lot or why can't you just plug in a monitor?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Thanks. Looks like the Asus G751JT is the best bet. I'd get the $1500 model with the mech drive, and replace it with the SSD in my current comp to save $250 over the model with the SSD built in.

Actually it sounds like that model has 2 2.5" drive bays and you can just add the SSD to the one that's empty out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah if you're a student it makes sense to be smart about your TV purchase and just use that as a second display.

If you don't want to dual-purpose your TV (40"+ TV in a dorm room lol) a namebrand 24" 1080p display is only $120, Newegg has 4 different name brand 20-22" 1080p displays for under $100 shipped.

Chances are, when your laptop is away from a wall outlet, you probably won't need all 3.8 million pixels a 2650x1440 screen provides you, and dual screens are better for workflow anyways.