Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wow, those gains are loving HUGE.

However, Mantle performs very well if not better most of the time.

I have a Nvidia card so I hope DX12 is honed further, but I'm very impressed that Mantle can even surpass it and if I understand correctly Mantle is already available, unlike the wait we're looking at for DX12.

I will admit to a bit of bias. I choose Nvidia cards because their drivers have a lot more features and are more user-friendly, and there are more games implementing things like HBAO+, and the upcoming Turf Effects, etc. which keeps me with them. Mantle does sound tempting now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Swartz posted:

Wow, those gains are loving HUGE.

However, Mantle performs very well if not better most of the time.

I have a Nvidia card so I hope DX12 is honed further, but I'm very impressed that Mantle can even surpass it and if I understand correctly Mantle is already available, unlike the wait we're looking at for DX12.

I will admit to a bit of bias. I choose Nvidia cards because their drivers have a lot more features and are more user-friendly, and there are more games implementing things like HBAO+, and the upcoming Turf Effects, etc. which keeps me with them. Mantle does sound tempting now though.

Mantle, GLNext, DX12 and to a lesser extent the NV_COMMAND_LIST extension all do the same thing (build and send command buffers to the GPU without a heavy abstraction layer in the way) so performance between them will be quite similar.

Driver performance between AMD and Nvidia will be more even across the board in all applications since you won't benefit from application-specific driver paths to compensate for a heavy, opaque API that doesn't reflect how GPUs actually work.

Speaking of APIs, Valve is getting on stage with people from Unity, Oxide, Dice and Epic to unveil OpenGL-Next at GDC.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
For my usage, given how much I game and the relatively high price I pay for power, running an AMD card would probably run me at least an extra $30 or $40 per year, based on it pulling an extra 150 watts. That's enough that it does make them less attractive purchases; over two or three years any savings are gone.

AMD has burned me too many times in the past, but assuming I wasn't biased against them an extra $90-120 cost of ownership over the lifetime of the card would something I would consider. Also with or without an efficient cooler, it's still going to dump more heat into my room in the middle of Summer. AMD would need to be significantly better in some way for my use case, and right now they just aren't.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I am very excited for DX12

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Truga posted:

With decent custom coolers vendors are now installing onto cards, noise is a non-factor for both nvidia and ati unless you live on the sun I thought?

Power usage might be a factor if you live in some backwater country like Germany or Netherlands, where their ~green power~ policy caused the power prices to skyrocket to really stupid levels. Or if you do something that loads your pc 24/7, because a couple hours of 200W per week for gaming isn't going to be noticeable.

e: Or you're a datacenter with heat issues.

Yeah I agree it basically is a non factor with good cards, my R9 290 can't really be heard above the noise of my CPU cooler even under load and the temps are always good. The only annoying thing is that it slightly heats up area around my computer.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

AnandTech posted:

DirectX 12 will only be available on Windows 10. Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 will not be receiving DirectX 12 support.

Well, here's hoping that all the keylogging and tracking stuff isn't carried over to release, so I can actually be comfortable using it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, here's hoping that all the keylogging and tracking stuff isn't carried over to release, so I can actually be comfortable using it.

Literally the whole point of the information tracking is for testing purposes in the beta. Of course it won't be in the full release, that's absurd.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BurritoJustice posted:

Literally the whole point of the information tracking is for testing purposes in the beta. Of course it won't be in the full release, that's absurd.

I know, and that's why I'm not gonna play with Windows 10 until it releases at the very least. There's a Youtuber goes by the name of Barnacules? Used to be a senior software test engineer for Microsoft until they eviscerated their QA group last year, before becoming a Youtuber full-time. In discussing Windows 10 with Jayztwocents, he seems to think it's entirely possible they leave it in.

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas, AMD. What the crap are you guys doing under DX11?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I know, and that's why I'm not gonna play with Windows 10 until it releases at the very least. There's a Youtuber goes by the name of Barnacules? Used to be a senior software test engineer for Microsoft until they eviscerated their QA group last year, before becoming a Youtuber full-time. In discussing Windows 10 with Jayztwocents, he seems to think it's entirely possible they leave it in.

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick with Mary and Judas, AMD. What the crap are you guys doing under DX11?

Ok guys get off of the cocaine and meth and quit being paranoid. They aren't leaving in a keylogger that transmits data to a server for an OS that is going to go out to 50 to 300 million systems. That's not only paranoid it's unmanageable. I swear to god the privacy paranoia is getting to tinfoil levels. Most of you folks aren't even important enough to be tracking and you don't have a bank account worth hacking. I know we're all narcissists but at least I can openly admit no self respecting hacker would want any of my poo poo and they sure as hell wouldn't want most of yours. Unless your checking account has 5+ digits and you have a credit line of 5 digits you shouldn't sweat so much.

Don't get me wrong if your info gets stolen you should report it and change your passwords and credentials, but that being said no one is going to specifically target you for keylogging or data theft. You just aren't that loving special.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BurritoJustice posted:

Darkpriest667 posted:

Ok guys get off of the cocaine and meth and quit being paranoid. They aren't leaving in a keylogger that transmits data to a server for an OS that is going to go out to 50 to 300 million systems. That's not only paranoid it's unmanageable. I swear to god the privacy paranoia is getting to tinfoil levels. Most of you folks aren't even important enough to be tracking and you don't have a bank account worth hacking. I know we're all narcissists but at least I can openly admit no self respecting hacker would want any of my poo poo and they sure as hell wouldn't want most of yours. Unless your checking account has 5+ digits and you have a credit line of 5 digits you shouldn't sweat so much.

Don't get me wrong if your info gets stolen you should report it and change your passwords and credentials, but that being said no one is going to specifically target you for keylogging or data theft. You just aren't that loving special.

The system has been developed to support telemetry for hundreds of millions of computers however I can tell you categorically that keylogging data would break numerous EU laws.

There will be telemetry kept in release.

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 7, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Darkpriest667 posted:

I swear to god the privacy paranoia is getting to tinfoil levels.

Is it paranoia if I'm right?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If by chance you are right it may still be paranoia.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"EuroGamer posted:

So what we've done here is to create a 'pecking order' of graphics card performance, based entirely on the capabilities of the raw hardware. However, this doesn't test the software layer - the code that interfaces the graphics card to your system. Put simply, Nvidia's driver is seemingly more efficient - sometimes much more efficient - resulting in situations where the 'weaker' card produces more consistent performance on lower-end PCs.

It seems that AMD cards bottleneck slower CPUs more, and I think that's indicative of that.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Boiled Water posted:

If by chance you are right it may still be paranoia.

He's right, sans keylogging. Nobody cares about that poo poo.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Malcolm XML posted:

He's right, sans keylogging. Nobody cares about that poo poo.

Let's be honest to the folks here, the "telemetry" that they're going to be collecting isn't anything super personal or special. It's nothing secret that they wouldn't be able to get anyway. It's just more convenient.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kazinsal posted:

NCIX is Canadian. $339.99 CAD is about $260 USD.

Oops. I missed that. You can get a 970 for around 400 CAD, and I probably still would, but a 290X is definitely a more reasonable proposition at 340 CAD vs 400-410 for a 970.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I agree it basically is a non factor with good cards, my R9 290 can't really be heard above the noise of my CPU cooler even under load and the temps are always good. The only annoying thing is that it slightly heats up area around my computer.

I can hear my overclocked MSI 970 4G, while my NH U14S keeps silent with a light overclock on my 4670k but I can't push the CPU to even 4.4 without it becoming too noisy. Noise is absolutely not a non factor yet and will likely influence my next purchase as well.

Darkpriest667 posted:

Most of you folks aren't even important enough to be tracking and you don't have a bank account worth hacking. I know we're all narcissists but at least I can openly admit no self respecting hacker would want any of my poo poo and they sure as hell wouldn't want most of yours. Unless your checking account has 5+ digits and you have a credit line of 5 digits you shouldn't sweat so much.

This is flat out wrong, anyone is a target since most of this poo poo can be automated. Hackers are even staging man in the middle attacks for two factor bank identification using mass mail scams. Those attacks are obviously not coming preinstalled with Windows however.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 7, 2015

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Desuwa posted:

pulling an extra 150 watts.

That's only when it is running at full power. The difference in power consumption between them while idling or web surfing is relatively insignificant.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 7, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Jago posted:

That's only when it is running at full power. The difference in power consumption between them while idling or web surfing is relatively insignificant.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15

Yes, I took that into account, I assumed the difference was 0 at idle. I pay 20 cents per kwh, and I push my cards a lot, with either gaming or video playback (NNEDI3 upscaling will push any card). If anything I probably lowballed the time spent at load over the course of a year.

This isn't a critical difference, it's not the first thing I look for or care about. But if the cards were otherwise equal for me, with the same performance and same amount of annoying quirks, this would be enough to push the decision towards NVIDIA. It's not that I can't afford the extra power, but I see no need to when I'm getting a card that is, at best, on par and usually worse for my usage. Of course this is a moot point because AMD cards have given me no end of issues. NVIDIA may have used up a lot of my goodwill with their dishonesty over the 970 but they'd have to do it once or twice more to be on par with AMD.

I also don't trust AMD to support cards as they get older, and that's a larger factor for me. AMD tends to stop caring about how badly they break their drivers for cards that are older than a year or two, even if they're still on the supported cards list.

e: Actually the 10W difference at idle is higher than I expected, but I was unfair saying the AMD cards were 150W higher under load. However if I cut the difference under load in half and include the difference in idle power it comes out about the same cost per year. Even if a 290x is $50 or $60 cheaper up front, it performs worse and the difference in price will disappear inside of the first two years.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 7, 2015

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Around the time Mantle came out Nvidia did some heavy optimization on their DX11 driver to make it more competitive with the Mantle numbers AMD was touting. Prior to that Nvidia's DX11 overhead probably would have been closer to AMD's.

I'm curious as to how the 750Ti is keeping up with the R9 285, which should be leaving it in the dust looking at the hardware specs and other benchmarks.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Hamburger Test posted:

I can hear my overclocked MSI 970 4G, while my NH U14S keeps silent with a light overclock on my 4670k but I can't push the CPU to even 4.4 without it becoming too noisy. Noise is absolutely not a non factor yet and will likely influence my next purchase as well.

This is flat out wrong, anyone is a target since most of this poo poo can be automated. Hackers are even staging man in the middle attacks for two factor bank identification using mass mail scams. Those attacks are obviously not coming preinstalled with Windows however.

Reading comprehension is your friend... Specifically targeting is not the same as generally targeting. No one is going after you as an individual. You just aren't worth the trouble.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So like...should I be using Afterburner? Jesus the ASUS GPU tweak is loving awful, crashes on me most of the time (no everything isn't jacked up on max), doesn't automatically reapply my saved settings after reboot etc etc. I just assumed Afterburner was just for MSI cards.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 7, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My step-up 970 SSC came in last week and I finally got around to installing it today (was also swapping to a new case at the same time, so it was more complicated than just swapping cards).

Here's the 3DMark results for anyone who's curious: http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/4012272/fs/3654457

Between the slightly higher clock and any changes driver updates may have brought in the last month I gained ~200 points, whatever that means.

No clue how temperatures and noise compare, my old case was not amazing in either way and had a side vent that basically sent GPU noise right to my face where the new one has actual insulation, so it's apples and oranges here. I can barely hear the fans when they fire up and it never exceeded 73C according to Arx Control, but as far as I recall that was basically the same on the last one.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

codo27 posted:

So like...should I be using Afterburner? Jesus the ASUS GPU tweak is loving awful, crashes on me most of the time (no everything isn't jacked up on max), doesn't automatically reapply my saved settings after reboot etc etc. I just assumed Afterburner was just for MSI cards.
It works for a ton of different non-MSI cards, although there may be some minor MSI-specific settings related to voltages that won't work on your card.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've had the most success recently with nVidia Inspector. It's like GPU-Z with an overclocking pop out. I also like/don't mind that the way you save settings is that it creates a shortcut. It was easy for me to manage the different speeds I was testing as I went higher and higher.

Also it doesn't look like garbage. I tried the Gigabyte one but I couldn't even figure out how to save settings. The MSI one is a little better, but if nVidia Inspector works for you, then I don't see why people suggest anything else.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Afterburner has much better hardware monitoring, the ability to set a fan curve, and lets you create multiple profiles without littering your desktop like a crazy person.

I also I might be talking out of my rear end, but I'm pretty sure I've read that NI is less stable compared to utilities like Afterburner.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What ever came out of the whole 970 VRAM snafu? Anything at all?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Annath posted:

Nvidia made more money from people upgrading from 970s to 980s. :laugh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Annath posted:

:words::qq::ssj::munch::ohdear:

:shrug:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Annath posted:

I read some article where they tried their hardest to make it choke at 4K with SLI.
Their conclusion was that Nvidia has very, very good drivers that will perform superhuman feats to hide any problem.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I still have my 970 but since I don't run 4K games I'm not super concerned.

Just didn't want to miss out if NVIDIA had decided to reimburse people or something.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

sauer kraut posted:

I read some article where they tried their hardest to make it choke at 4K with SLI.
Their conclusion was that Nvidia has very, very good drivers that will perform superhuman feats to hide any problem.
I'd like to see that article, and also see if DSR stirs the pot if added into the mix.

E: vvv thanks! on an idle day I might go back to my 1080p panel and blow it up with my SLI setup in DSR to see how much progress the driver has made so far.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 8, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/68595-gtx-970s-memory-explained-tested.html
I think this was it

You wouldn't notice it outside of synthetics that move 4GB blocks around and bypass the driver.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

littering your desktop like a crazy person.
NI is less stable compared to utilities like Afterburner.

Use a folder? Delete shortcuts you don't need?

Any source on stability? I've crashed cards with all mentioned software.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Using shortcuts to manage your overclocking profiles is still a crazy thing to do dude.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Yeah that's kinda mad. Why on earth would you need more than 5 profile settings (in Afterburner all you do is push a button) unless you're doing high-end benchmarking with a DICE pot? I don't know anything about instability concerns as I haven't used an Nvidia card in years, but I'd trust Afterburner's OEM verification and Rivatuner base over whoever Orbmu2k is.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Nvidia Inspector is just as stable as afterburner and it lets you do stuff like use the SLI profile from another game. For example you can use the Arma 2 or 3 profiles on DayZ to get SLI working.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

Using shortcuts to manage your overclocking profiles is still a crazy thing to do dude.

Explain how. I can argue that using a hosed up non standard gui that lags in all situations is crazy. You can rename, sort and organize shortcuts easily, insert them into your startup folder, and back up your configuration easily. Are you sure you aren't being hyperbolic about your preferred solution being the end all be all? Did you write the msi or gigabyte software? If so, get hosed cause they are garbage.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jago posted:

Explain how. I can argue that using a hosed up non standard gui that lags in all situations is crazy. You can rename, sort and organize shortcuts easily, insert them into your startup folder, and back up your configuration easily. Are you sure you aren't being hyperbolic about your preferred solution being the end all be all? Did you write the msi or gigabyte software? If so, get hosed cause they are garbage.

Afterburner has a simple, fast interface and inbuilt profiling. It works well, and I've never heard of anyone complaining about lag. It certainly isn't garbage. It is nice that it also comes with comprehensive hardware monitoring, inbuilt stress testing, and the best drat customisable on screen display around. I literally don't see the advantage of using inspector as an overclocking utility over afterburner. Inspector is useful in other areas, sure, but for someone looking for an overclocking utility Afterburner is king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Afterburner works on both AMD and Nvidia too.