Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I would have also accepted Hyper Saiyan, Ultra Saiyan, or Mega Saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We all know the best option is "Maximum Over-Saiyan"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mordaedil posted:

Welcome to a generation that grew up on DBZ, even in acting.

It is the most magical of thing. :allears:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Uhh.. wow. Wasn't expecting this from Xenoverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqj2-J8GSI

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Esroc posted:

With the release of Battle of Gods and Toriyama's new stance on transformations I've had to revise my position on the Super Saiyan quite a bit.

The Super Saiyan is nothing more than a power up, much like the kaio-ken. Except genetically exclusive. A racial ability just like the Arcosian's mutation. In this it is nothing special in and of itself, as many races in Dragonball have bloodline abilities that only their species can use. What makes the Super Saiyan special however is its versatility and the often forgotten secondary racial ability of Oozarhu transformation. And little known to a lot of fans, the Oozarhu form was established in Perfect Files as the "true" form of a Saiyan. Much like how royal Arcosians mutate backwards to contain their mighty power, Saiyans also transformed from monsters into humans to contain their fierce and destructive instincts. But such might is impossible to contain completely, and an overdose of blutz rays will "break the seal" so to speak. This need to find balance between beast and man will be important later.

SSj1 is the most versatile of the SSj forms, with enough training it can tap into the power and speed of forms "above" it once these forms have been achieved. It can also be converted into a permanent powerup without the need to activate it, as we see during the Cell Games. SSj is the keystone of the Saiyan's transformative abilities. SSj2 is exactly as it sounds, a second tier of power, and nothing more. In many respects SSj2 is merely a pumped up version of SSj1, much akin to the Ultra Super Saiyan forms, but with decreased muscle mass to allow for more speed and finesse. The importance of speed and finesse will also be important later.

Where things get interesting is in Super Saiyan 3. In this form we see the first signs of a Saiyan tapping into their more beastly Oozarhu form for an extra boost in power. The SSj3 is a Super Saiyan allowing a small amount of their suppressed violent nature to leak out into the transformation. The result is an ape-like brow ridge and the hair of a wild man. An SSj3 is one step closer to the true form of their people. It is here that we first see the Saiyan truly begin to transform. The Golden Oozharu is the flipside of this. Instead of being a Super Saiyan tapping into the Oozharu, you are an Oozharu tapping into the Super Saiyan. However, the Golden Oozharu is actually the more important of these two forms, which we will get to in a moment.

The downside to most transformations however are many. Ooozarhu have trouble controlling themselves and often lose all sense of who they are, they are also large and unwieldy. The Super Saiyan places great strain on the body and can be difficult to balance properly so that one does not end up too large and bulky to fight efficiently. So how might one find the best of both worlds?

Enter the Super Saiyan 4.

An SSj4 is a Saiyan who has mastered the Oozharu so thoroughly that they no longer lose themselves to primal instinct while using it. That Saiyan may then stack the Super Saiyan on top of their monstrous form, multiplying their power even further. But there's still the problem of fighting efficiency! A Golden Oozharu is large, slow, bulky, and lacks enough fine control to fight well against a smaller opponent. The answer to this is to come full circle and once again pull within themselves the Oozharu, compact it into a human body, while keeping the Super Saiyan powerup. The resulted form is a beastly man with all the trappings of an Oozharu and Super Saiyan, but contained within a usable, fast, body with fine motor control and guyliner. A Super Saiyan 4 is a Saiyan achieving the 100% full transformative potential of his people.

In short, a Saiyan only truly has two transformations. Super Saiyan and Oozharu. SSj1, the Ultra forms, and SSj2 are all the same form with SSj"2" just SSj1 maximized in potential. SSj3 and 4 are when a Saiyan mixes varying amounts of their true Oozharu form with the Super Saiyan powerup. And once fully tapped out in potential, all power is accessible by the original Super Saiyan form without need of ascension or transformation.

SSj God is a whole 'nother thing entirely and not exclusive to Saiyans in any way and actually unrelated to the Super Saiyan except for its need of great power to achieve, which Super Saiyan provides. Its non-exclusivity to Saiyans will be evidenced in Revival of F when Freeza most assuredly gets his own God powerup.

You never left me, late 90s internet.:swoon:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Esroc posted:

With the release of Battle of Gods and Toriyama's new stance on transformations I've had to revise my position on the Super Saiyan quite a bit.

The Super Saiyan is nothing more than a power up, much like the kaio-ken. Except genetically exclusive. A racial ability just like the Arcosian's mutation. In this it is nothing special in and of itself, as many races in Dragonball have bloodline abilities that only their species can use. What makes the Super Saiyan special however is its versatility and the often forgotten secondary racial ability of Oozarhu transformation. And little known to a lot of fans, the Oozarhu form was established in Perfect Files as the "true" form of a Saiyan. Much like how royal Arcosians mutate backwards to contain their mighty power, Saiyans also transformed from monsters into humans to contain their fierce and destructive instincts. But such might is impossible to contain completely, and an overdose of blutz rays will "break the seal" so to speak. This need to find balance between beast and man will be important later.

SSj1 is the most versatile of the SSj forms, with enough training it can tap into the power and speed of forms "above" it once these forms have been achieved. It can also be converted into a permanent powerup without the need to activate it, as we see during the Cell Games. SSj is the keystone of the Saiyan's transformative abilities. SSj2 is exactly as it sounds, a second tier of power, and nothing more. In many respects SSj2 is merely a pumped up version of SSj1, much akin to the Ultra Super Saiyan forms, but with decreased muscle mass to allow for more speed and finesse. The importance of speed and finesse will also be important later.

Where things get interesting is in Super Saiyan 3. In this form we see the first signs of a Saiyan tapping into their more beastly Oozarhu form for an extra boost in power. The SSj3 is a Super Saiyan allowing a small amount of their suppressed violent nature to leak out into the transformation. The result is an ape-like brow ridge and the hair of a wild man. An SSj3 is one step closer to the true form of their people. It is here that we first see the Saiyan truly begin to transform. The Golden Oozharu is the flipside of this. Instead of being a Super Saiyan tapping into the Oozharu, you are an Oozharu tapping into the Super Saiyan. However, the Golden Oozharu is actually the more important of these two forms, which we will get to in a moment.

The downside to most transformations however are many. Ooozarhu have trouble controlling themselves and often lose all sense of who they are, they are also large and unwieldy. The Super Saiyan places great strain on the body and can be difficult to balance properly so that one does not end up too large and bulky to fight efficiently. So how might one find the best of both worlds?

Enter the Super Saiyan 4.

An SSj4 is a Saiyan who has mastered the Oozharu so thoroughly that they no longer lose themselves to primal instinct while using it. That Saiyan may then stack the Super Saiyan on top of their monstrous form, multiplying their power even further. But there's still the problem of fighting efficiency! A Golden Oozharu is large, slow, bulky, and lacks enough fine control to fight well against a smaller opponent. The answer to this is to come full circle and once again pull within themselves the Oozharu, compact it into a human body, while keeping the Super Saiyan powerup. The resulted form is a beastly man with all the trappings of an Oozharu and Super Saiyan, but contained within a usable, fast, body with fine motor control and guyliner. A Super Saiyan 4 is a Saiyan achieving the 100% full transformative potential of his people.

In short, a Saiyan only truly has two transformations. Super Saiyan and Oozharu. SSj1, the Ultra forms, and SSj2 are all the same form with SSj"2" just SSj1 maximized in potential. SSj3 and 4 are when a Saiyan mixes varying amounts of their true Oozharu form with the Super Saiyan powerup. And once fully tapped out in potential, all power is accessible by the original Super Saiyan form without need of ascension or transformation.

SSj God is a whole 'nother thing entirely and not exclusive to Saiyans in any way and actually unrelated to the Super Saiyan except for its need of great power to achieve, which Super Saiyan provides. Its non-exclusivity to Saiyans will be evidenced in Revival of F when Freeza most assuredly gets his own God powerup.

Excellent work as always. Now please explain how Majin Buu - Evil Side = Mr. Buu, but Mr. Buu + Evil Side = Super Buu.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Or explain who's stronger out of Kid Buu and Super Buu.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Xenoverse video showing alternate costumes. Some of them look exactly the same, and there seem to be some pretty big holes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qw3nVl2iAI

No Cell Games Gohan with cape? No Buu Saga Krillin? No badass long-hair Trunks?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

New Leaf posted:

Xenoverse video showing alternate costumes. Some of them look exactly the same, and there seem to be some pretty big holes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qw3nVl2iAI

All three of those costumes you mentioned are lame. Triple H hair is never badass.

EDIT: It is lame there's not Casual Saiyaman/Shades Saiyaman.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 7, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All three of those costumes you mentioned are lame. Triple H hair is never badass.

I like sweatpants Krillin.. Surely he has to figure in the story mode, right? He helped teach the kids how to fuse in that outfit. It sounds nitpicky, but they gave Videl six loving costumes, how hard could it be to add some for characters people give a poo poo about outside of various states of battle damage?

Also, coolest Trunks look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF99jsVww2w

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

New Leaf posted:

While the lack of those costumes is a bit lame, I will say that it's a fairly robust and interesting list (in addition to the like, 8 Created Characters you get), and what surprises me the most is that all the costumes have different stats, apparently. And oh wow, Saiyaman as a costume for Gohan? I hope that means what I think it means.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The DLC for this game is gonna be loving stupid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

StrifeHira posted:

While the lack of those costumes is a bit lame, I will say that it's a fairly robust and interesting list (in addition to the like, 8 Created Characters you get), and what surprises me the most is that all the costumes have different stats, apparently. And oh wow, Saiyaman as a costume for Gohan? I hope that means what I think it means.

Not just that Each costume apparently has it's own moveset, so we don't have to have 5 versions of Vegeta or whatever.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

The DLC for this game is gonna be loving stupid.

It's Bamco, that's to be expected.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Not just that Each costume apparently has it's own moveset, so we don't have to have 5 versions of Vegeta or whatever.

Please do not be rude to:

-Goku (Dragon Ball),
-Goku (Early),
-Goku (Mid), Super Saiyan,
-Goku (Late), Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, Gogeta, Super Gogeta, Vegito, Super Vegito,
-Goku (GT), Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3,
-Super Saiyan 4 Goku, or Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta

I love Budokai Tenkaichi 3 but they kinda jogged to those 192 characters.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Now I can sorta understand the outrage for the roster when they decided to keep friggin Apple and the Freeza mook. Oh well, there's probably going to be loads of DLC with more characters and outfits.

Something tells me at least one person in the development team has a thing for Videl...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Petiso posted:

Something tells me at least one person in the development team has a thing for Videl...

Yeah, I'm sure that's the case.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Well I for one couldn't be happier I always love playing as her in these games, but ya there are some holes in the roster (I want 16's rocket punch).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's weird that they have a bunch of GT characters but not one from DB. No King Piccolo or Tao Pai?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rhonne posted:

It's weird that they have a bunch of GT characters but not one from DB. No King Piccolo or Tao Pai?

I'm surprised we didn't at least get a Piccolo Jr costume.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pureauthor posted:

Have you guys actually seen the poo poo Kirby is capable of pulling off?

Smash Bros vs. DBZ needs to be a game.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

all ssjs besides 1 were lame

also all ssjs besides goku were lame. it should have just been his thing, and you could still write the rest of the story the exactly the same because there's never a point where he isn't way stronger than every other saiyan

Did you forget Future Trunks existed????? He's the best ssj1

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never liked Future Trunks.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Beef Waifu posted:

I never liked Future Trunks.

I always thought Bulma and Vegeta hooking up was dumb but Trunks was a badass.

Endorph posted:

also all ssjs besides goku were lame. it should have just been his thing, and you could still write the rest of the story the exactly the same because there's never a point where he isn't way stronger than every other saiyan

Yeah I always thought if Vegeta had just come out and killed Android 19 by being Vegeta instead of having some flimsy excuse to be super saiyan it would have been cooler.

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 7, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squallege posted:

Did you forget Future Trunks existed????? He's the best ssj1
make trunks's hair purple in that bit and tell me what would have changed

actually: why did no one question trunks's hair? every other saiyan has black hair

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Even saiyan DNA couldn't overpower the Briefs' fluorescent hair.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's because Bulma's hair is blue and Vegeta's Hair is black and Purple is a dark shade of blue and a light shade of black. :geno:

Fake Edit: I know the above isn't true. You don't need to correct me.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Covok posted:

It's because Bulma's hair is blue and Vegeta's Hair is black and Purple is a dark shade of blue and a light shade of black. :geno:

Vegeta had red hair in his intro and red+blue=purple.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Covok posted:

Bulma's hair is actually purple in the manga. Trunks just takes after his mom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I guess Videl and Chi-Chi both have black hair too, now that you mention it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Endorph posted:

I guess Videl and Chi-Chi both have black hair too, now that you mention it.

We try not to talk about how Gohan fell in love with a woman who is similar to his mom.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Covok posted:

We try not to talk about how Gohan fell in love with a woman who is similar to his mom.

Videl isn't Namekian?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Covok posted:

I can't think of anything particularly similar between Videl and Chichi beyond "they are both girls" and "they both have black hair".

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
They both know martial arts and they both have rich dads.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Covok posted:

The most horrible thing about GT is them turning Videl into "Chi-Chi #2"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I couldn't even tell what the difference was between most of those costumes. I assumed for Goku it came down to having Kame or King Kai or Beerus' symbol on his gi, but then there are plenty others that I can't make out any difference at all. Did anyone catch any?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
They each have different move sets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I couldn't even tell what the difference was between most of those costumes. I assumed for Goku it came down to having Kame or King Kai or Beerus' symbol on his gi, but then there are plenty others that I can't make out any difference at all. Did anyone catch any?
There are some that are scouter vs no scouter.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Why are there three different frieza's? Isn't he meant to be able to transform between forms? More importantly, why are there two perfect cells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

dbzfandiego posted:

Well I for one couldn't be happier I always love playing as her in these games, but ya there are some holes in the roster (I want 16's rocket punch).
I'm kinda surprised Dodoria and especially Zarbon are missing from the roster.

Zarbon was Frieza's strongest non-Ginyu Force henchman (hell, Zarbon could probably kick Guldo's rear end pretty easily, and Guldo made it into the game), and Zarbon transforming into a monster and kicking headbutting the crap out of Vegeta was the first defeat Vegeta had on Namek. (DBZ Abridged then asked the question I'd never even thought about : "Why did I explode?":what:)

And you'd think Dodoria would make a better generic mook than both "the guy who literally has no name" and "the guy who can't even handle a shot of Raspberry Schnapps".:v:

• Locked thread