Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bhodi posted:

But seriously, you're retarded if you're trying to multi-file edits in vim.

how are you retarded for attempting to use a text editor that people cultishly recommend for programming as the best programming editor for the most common programming use case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

But seriously, you're retarded if you're trying to edit in vim.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i use gvim because my terrible ides text editors are so awful they just put in an option to open poo poo in external editors so like when im looking for poo poo in my project i just glance at my ides source tree thing and double click the one i want?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

one of them is smart enough to send new files to the current gvim instance while the other is so fuckin retarded it spawns a new instance for each file so i wind up with like twelve gvims goin and it is truly nonsense

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fpgas: not even once

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how are you retarded for attempting to use a text editor that people cultishly recommend for programming as the best programming editor for the most common programming use case?
Because it's not 1995 anymore and we have things called graphical user interfaces with IDEs and editors that have things like tabs and side-by-side windows and MOUSE SUPPORT. I'll use vim on a server when I have to but to do actual coding on a multi-file project? It's like you're white-knighting a non-tabbed browser.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

*hamfistedly clicks on the letter he wants to edit*

*holds arrow down for a bit, aiming for 7 lines, misses, goes back up by two, then holds left for a bit, then misses*

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
maybe all you good computer folks should just use whatever editor suits your needs and leave it at that :)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Are you kidding? Someone is wrong on yospos and I'll be damned if they aren't going to be told they're wrong and stupid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bhodi posted:

Because it's not 1995 anymore and we have things called graphical user interfaces with IDEs and editors that have things like tabs and side-by-side windows and MOUSE SUPPORT. I'll use vim on a server when I have to but to do actual coding on a multi-file project? It's like you're white-knighting a non-tabbed browser.

yeah but u used the word 'trying' and vim is so different at first that you assume the cool file editing mode you're looking for is just an edit away, especially because so many people edit it

like it's not retarded to try something that so many people recommend. you're just retarded if you continue using it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

fpgas: not even once

Are you talking about vivado?

Vivado is total garbage for clowns but somehow is slightly less bad than what they used to have

I have heard tell that the Altera thing is somewhat better but I have not used it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Are you talking about vivado?

Vivado is total garbage for clowns but somehow is slightly less bad than what they used to have

I have heard tell that the Altera thing is somewhat better but I have not used it

neither! shockingly!!

vivado does look like a circus but it does look better than ise i guess. also it has vivado hls which arouses me in uncomfortable ways

but no, the ide in question is neither xilinx nor altera

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

neither! shockingly!!

vivado does look like a circus but it does look better than ise i guess. also it has vivado hls which arouses me in uncomfortable ways

but no, the ide in question is neither xilinx nor altera

Huh ok. Yeah, vivado-the-compiler is pretty great in some areas and shockingly brain dead in others, but vivado-the-ide is all-around awful

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Vim has tabs and split panes and poo poo.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

MononcQc posted:

Vim has tabs and split panes and poo poo.

yeah i hate to sound like a broken record (actually i don't just ask anyone who's ever heard me dj) but

emacs

quote:

and side-by-side windows
also emacs, in fact emacs has a really fuckin rad extension (or ten) that resizes the window you're working on automagically so you get the most visual space where you actually need it

quote:

and MOUSE SUPPORT.

let me guess you think macs are dumb because they only have one mouse button too

what's it like posting from 1995

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

like do you actually think any new concepts in the wild and wooly world of text editing have happened in the last ten years

it's loving text editing

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

i am a highly paid professional text editor, i must use the best and newest tools for my extremely important text editing

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

emacs and vim users may hate each other but it seems they can agree on one thing

these other kids need to get off our fuckin lawn

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

at this point i just want to see if i can post five times in a row

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
i use php storm

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
thats a lie i use netbeans because thats what the entire company uses

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
cool vim/emacs holy war how's the 1980s going

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i invite u all to survey the world from fortress xcode

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
is xcode usable yet? I haven't touched it since like 2010 but it was horrible garbage back then, the worst ui apple has ever shat out

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

cool vim/emacs holy war how's the 1980s going

little endian is dumb and has no future

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i might start using emacs with evil mode

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

uncurable mlady posted:

i might start using emacs with evil mode

Yeah I might try it out. My artisanal vimscript plugins are not very nice to work with/configure at times, if Emacs can get the best of both worlds, without sacrificing modal editing I'd be down.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
vim is a good text editor, but emacs is much easier to extend

evil-mode is really nice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

KARMA! posted:

thats a lie i use netbeans because thats what the entire company uses

yeah there are all kinds of good reasons to use an ide instead of emacs. that's a whole nother kettle of fish

also if you are going to use an ide you might as well use the one your coworkers are using, so you can share project files and lovely tweaks and stuff

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah I might try it out. My artisanal vimscript plugins are not very nice to work with/configure at times, if Emacs can get the best of both worlds, without sacrificing modal editing I'd be down.

i preferred god-mode to evil when i used emacs. it's modal, but clobbers less built-in stuff than evil since it just removes the prefixes from the default chords.

lately i just use idea + ideavim.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
my coworkers mostly use intellij/idea, but i couldn't ever get into it because the emacs keybindings for it were garbage.

maybe i should try it again with ideavim instead

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my coworkers mostly use intellij/idea, but i couldn't ever get into it because the emacs keybindings for it were garbage.
"what do you mean, there's more to it than just mapping home to ctrl+a and end to ctrl+e?"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

is emacs still single threaded?

does searching for a string in a large buffer in one frame still cause all other frames to stop responding to user input?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

emacs supremacy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

but honestly it's really more that everything else sucks so much people are forced to use an archaic relic with extensions in a special bespoke variant of a dead language as their primary text editor

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

is emacs still single threaded?

does searching for a string in a large buffer in one frame still cause all other frames to stop responding to user input?

yes and yes, but i think they're working on fixing it for real this time

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Hm okay lets try this vim to emacs thing alright I really want evil-mode lets get going

$ brew install emacs

alright sw8 we've got emacs 24

Alright lets find a tutorial like http://juanjoalvarez.net/es/detail/2014/sep/19/vim-emacsevil-chaotic-migration-guide/ ok thats a bit too much lets just get evil working then we can feel comfortable at least

alright lets edit our .emacs file according to http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil

okay cool now how do i install poo poo? ok let me go look up how to access this package manager.

okay coolo now let me learn how to search? cool.

okay lets install, and huh? what are the el-adddoc errors or whatever? whatever, lets restart because i don't know how to hotload config.

Wait what this config they told me would work isn't working? Okay let me go troll the internet for a bit

oh i was missing (package-initialize)

alright well thats my 30 minutes a year to switch from vim to emacs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol if you don't use notepad

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

edlin

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ISPFEDIT

• Locked thread