Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

So do people still like Valkyria Chronicles? I have about $6 in steambux, not much else to do with it right now.

hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got thoughts on Space Rangers HD? Looks intriguing enough, but the metacritic score of 68 is worrying me.

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have any long term experience with Toybox Turbos ? I played and loved the demo, and I'm a huge Micro Machines nut (MM64 is arguably a better party game than any of the Mario Parties :colbert:) and I'd love to hear how fun this is with either local or online multiplayer.

I'm going to wait for a sale, which I hope happens soonish, as I have about 8 bux from selling virtual cards.

Oh, technology :allears:

Edit: Wow, I guess I missed a page, and had to catch up. I like the idea of a -5/+5 system with the neutral point. Also, I know that I'd review the poo poo out of Toybox Turbos :getin:

It's a good local multiplayer game, and it definitely scratches that Micro Machines itch.

The biggest problem it has is that MM2, MM96 and MM64 already exist. If you have some old consoles set up, those all offer more content and actual characters, not to mention nostalgia goggles and slightly janky 8-player. If you don't have old consoles set up, then this is a good enough generic facsimile to be the next best thing.

Using the Steam Discount Scale, I'd be looking for at least 50% off as a starting point. Hard to recommend at full price.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Anyone got thoughts on Space Rangers HD? Looks intriguing enough, but the metacritic score of 68 is worrying me.

All three of the poor critic ratings on Metacritic very clearly state "I do not understand this game".

Space Rangers is part turn-based galaxy rear end in a top hat simulator, part territory control, and part text adventures from the mind of an LSD-fueled Infocom. Someone made a post, maybe Palpek, that exactly describes it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i wonder if ravens cry is good. i want to find out if ravens cry is good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

It's not.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

So do people still like Valkyria Chronicles? I have about $6 in steambux, not much else to do with it right now.

It has a cool combat system and about 300 hours of hand drawn cutscenes.
The rating system will drive you insane if you're OCD because you have to ignore all that and suicide rush every fight to get an A, like seriously win on turn 1/2.
Lots of RPG upgrade stuff and team options.

It's also the only anime game I own, and ever will.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Geographica posted:

It's a good local multiplayer game, and it definitely scratches that Micro Machines itch.

The biggest problem it has is that MM2, MM96 and MM64 already exist. If you have some old consoles set up, those all offer more content and actual characters, not to mention nostalgia goggles and slightly janky 8-player. If you don't have old consoles set up, then this is a good enough generic facsimile to be the next best thing.

Using the Steam Discount Scale, I'd be looking for at least 50% off as a starting point. Hard to recommend at full price.

Appreciate the info! I don't have my old consoles lying around, no, and will eventually be setting up Steam as my main gaming platform. Having a game like this to play with others as well as my son, when he's old enough, will be awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

sauer kraut posted:

It's also the only anime game I own, and ever will.

I hope you never accept gifts on Steam or someone will HuniePoP you.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

This game is going to go down in history as one of the most broken rear end games ever. It may end up as infamous as Two Worlds, but probably not in an endearing way. Is it the "most broken rear end game" ever? No, but hyperbole is a thing, and this game is not fun broken, it is just the boring kind of broken.

Gort posted:

Space Rangers 2 is a good example of why Metacritic blows rear end, and why the opinions expressed in traditional published reviews should be taken with many grains of salt.

Anime is mostly garbage, just like most of pretty much every form of media is garbage. If you have a huge hate-boner for anime, please forget about it and play this game, because it is really good. Also check out Skies of Arcadia some day because that game is really good and by the same people (though it is a more traditional RPG)

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 7, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

There is a Youtube video 2 pages back, you can find out!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

There is a Youtube video 2 pages back, you can find out!

i dont watch other peoples' videos, theyre rank amateurs comparatively

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Follow your heart, corn in the bible.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does Valkyria Chronicles ever get past the "puzzle level" slump around chapter 7? I gave up on the mission where you have to chase a vehicle through a city, blocking off alleys with your tank and shooting it with small arms because the levels were starting to feel like they had one intended solution which I was expected to figure out through trial and error instead of actual tactical battles. The level before that (getting the two separated units back to the tank) was a little better, but the stealth mission before that and the battle against the giant tank in the desert soured me on the game, so when I got to a third mission like that I just gave up.

It's not that those levels were particularly hard, but I kept forgetting to save after beating them and alt-F4ing out. I had to redo them like 3 or 4 times each and realized that they're not fun and don't have any strategy to them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Does Valkyria Chronicles ever get past the "puzzle level" slump around chapter 7? I gave up on the mission where you have to chase a vehicle through a city, blocking off alleys with your tank and shooting it with small arms because the levels were starting to feel like they had one intended solution which I was expected to figure out through trial and error instead of actual tactical battles. The level before that (getting the two separated units back to the tank) was a little better, but the stealth mission before that and the battle against the giant tank in the desert soured me on the game, so when I got to a third mission like that I just gave up.

It's not that those levels were particularly hard, but I kept forgetting to save after beating them and alt-F4ing out. I had to redo them like 3 or 4 times each and realized that they're not fun and don't have any strategy to them.

god no

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Past that point, the gimmick levels don't really crop up too much. You eventually get access to smoke grenades for your tank, and that's sort of a puzzle mission, but not really the same as those other ones. Honestly, the whole game smacks more of exploiting pre-set enemy placement and finding out how best to bust scout movement to cut down on turns taken, more than actual tactical finesse, but I like the game a lot anyway.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Gort posted:

I think the metacritic stuff is a relic of the original space rangers 2 release, when so much of the game was incomprehensibly "translated" from the original Russian. Its way better now. Still crazy, but in an awesome way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Past that point, the gimmick levels don't really crop up too much. You eventually get access to smoke grenades for your tank, and that's sort of a puzzle mission, but not really the same as those other ones. Honestly, the whole game smacks more of exploiting pre-set enemy placement and finding out how best to bust scout movement to cut down on turns taken, more than actual tactical finesse, but I like the game a lot anyway.

I think it's a cool game for what it is, but it's not what I was expecting and it's not really my cup of tea I guess. I would love to see a multiplayer game with a similar battle system.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kragger99 posted:

Would a pros/cons summary at the end work? The review could provide detailed impressions, then a pros/cons summary at the end with focus on elements. I know this is how many game sites do it now, and it seems to work.
I don't want to force a template on any of the reviewers, but certain elements are important to any review.

As for finding the right people to do it, that part will have to be developed as we go.

Here's my opinion on the matter:

No review scores (just causes arguments and people tend to focus on the number too much).

There are certain parts of a game that can be reviewed - gameplay, story, voice acting, sound, controls, user interface, single/multi player, options menu, graphics/art style - , but it's up to the reviewer which parts apply to what game since they're all different. There could be a list with all the components (that we can think of) that a reviewer might consider that they could use as a reference tool. We could also vote on the elements we think apply to most games that reviews have to address in some form.

I like pro/con lists at the end. They provide a bullet point refresher of the review.

--
Metacritic is awful as are their links to reviews.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have a 2010 laptop so I can't do the HD upgrade for Final Fantasy 7 on steam. Is the current one on there a good port? I know the original PC version was not good, but I imagine in 20 years they could have fixed it.

I have never beaten it (I made it to disc 2 like 10 times though!)

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Gort posted:

If I was told that videogames would be dead, Space Rangers HD I would play for an eternity. It is a drat good game.

Wish they fixed the RTS component though, that is the weakest part. You can totally skip it though and go back to being space rear end in a top hat/ galactic curbstomper.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Kinda on the fence about purchasing Life is Strange. Do the rest of the chapters seem poised to be more supernaturally or more high school drama?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
"New group invite? Huh."

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

why the gently caress are you posting here and not chatting with your new friends

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ribsauce posted:

I have a 2010 laptop so I can't do the HD upgrade for Final Fantasy 7 on steam. Is the current one on there a good port? I know the original PC version was not good, but I imagine in 20 years they could have fixed it.

I have never beaten it (I made it to disc 2 like 10 times though!)

It has a couple of minor issues (needing a Square Enix account, if you have one for FFXI or XIV you can use that), but it's alright. They swapped out the lovely MIDI music for PSX recorded OGGs and that was about the worst problem it had.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

The Joe Man posted:

"New group invite? Huh."

I'm less worried about Ryu being an idiot and more worried about someone apparently having a steam icon (or however group backgrounds work) of an anthro Rainbow Dash being all tied up and poo poo.

:catstare:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So after beating Saints Row 3 and Saints Row 4, I decided to go back to my roots for some reason and do Saints Row 2, since I never actually beat that one. What a great fuckin game ya'll. I thought I would have a hard time going backwards, but the city is just so well designed that it's a joy to drive around in. Steelport feels copy-paste the whole way through. There's hardly any change in elevation in Steelport, whereas in Stillwater you have trains and ramps and highways all over the fuckin place. Would have loved to have superpowers in this city.

My experience with SR4 was, the game was fun but the story missions themselves were very bland and lovely. It always boiled down to "fight this wave of dudes". This is why I didn't have a problem with less story missions in Gat Out of Hell which I'm putting off until I beat 2.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

This poo poo basically made me quit the game when I first played it, though at the time I couldn't put to words why I'd given up. You pretty much nailed it - the missions become much more specific in their requirements for a win, which took away a lot of the fun I was having in the first several hours.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My experience with SR4 was, the game was fun but the story missions themselves were very bland and lovely. It always boiled down to "fight this wave of dudes". This is why I didn't have a problem with less story missions in Gat Out of Hell which I'm putting off until I beat 2.

I think you'll enjoy Gat a bit then, it has more of a SR2 vibe to it, especially in every district seeming distinct and the whole game being based more around activities than just "kill some guys".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I think you'll enjoy Gat a bit then, it has more of a SR2 vibe to it, especially in every district seeming distinct and the whole game being based more around activities than just "kill some guys".

Did they go that loving stupid route of "Just do side activities until you can do one story mission, then grind side activities again" again?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Broken Cog posted:

Did they go that loving stupid route of "Just do side activities until you can do one story mission, then grind side activities again" again?

At first this annoyed me in Saints Row 2. Then I did one side mission to level 3 which took like 10 minutes and had enough respect for like 18 story missions. Plus the side mission was fun and I unlocked a discount for something. Now that I that I think about it, this is a really dumb thing to get annoyed about.

Full Disclosure: Using Gentleman of the Row, not sure if this changes things

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Sorta? Like you do the SR4 thing of grinding side missions but its not SR2 style where you have to have a certain amount of style. And there aren't really any new side activities and are mainly things you've been doing since whatever your first Saints' game was.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The game has three "story" missions, but basically you just gently caress around to piss off Satan until someone takes notice.

I got entirely to endgame on collectables alone, because OCD is a bitch. Then I went back and accidentally sequence broke the entire companion arcs (I'd help a dude out and they would then get teleported into a deathtrap somewhere). Basically, the game just goes "Here is a world - do whatever, have some big boosts if you just wanna rush to the end, but everything and anything you do will spur progress."

Also the old "get into X vehicle and do Y task" activities are back, which rocks.

edit: one other thing I liked - for once, capturing all territory has more of a reward than just "less cops". You clear out a district for someone, you get an extra cutscene and find out why the hell they're pissed at Satan, you do 'em all and it gives you kind of an epilogue for the whole crew.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 8, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I loved unlocking passive upgrades from the side missions in SR2. I mean, except for the helicopter, which I really bad at.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

SR2 side missions were fun except for the ones that were impossible without coop. thinking of the celebrity protection one in particular

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

At first this annoyed me in Saints Row 2. Then I did one side mission to level 3 which took like 10 minutes and had enough respect for like 18 story missions. Plus the side mission was fun and I unlocked a discount for something. Now that I that I think about it, this is a really dumb thing to get annoyed about.

Full Disclosure: Using Gentleman of the Row, not sure if this changes things

A lot of people still remember 1.

In 1, doing a full activity ( which had 8 LEVELS, and took 45ish minutes ) only gave you enough respect for 5 missions. Doing 1-6 levels only really gave you enough respect for 2ish missions, so you only really saw any benefit for fully completing the activity.

Thing is, there are 50+ missions in 1, so you had to do 10 full activities to completion just to get enough respect to do the story content ( which also took something like 7 hours :v: ). Oh, and you only had a few activities to choose from, so you better hope you really, really like Snatch.

In 2 yeah, you can get 1-50 after fully clearing three activities, and there are something like 10 different types of activity so you'll probably find one you like. It takes around 30 minutes to get enough respect to see everything. Oh and you get invincibility/infinite ammo crazy pistols/infinite ammo crazy smgs for doing some easy activities, so you even get benefits for it!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

His particular steam background costs an entire :10bux: and it used to cost around $30. Now that's dedication.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Plus in SR 2 if you get up to 99 respect it then becomes infinite.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

A lot of people still remember 1.

In 1, doing a full activity ( which had 8 LEVELS, and took 45ish minutes ) only gave you enough respect for 5 missions. Doing 1-6 levels only really gave you enough respect for 2ish missions, so you only really saw any benefit for fully completing the activity.

Thing is, there are 50+ missions in 1, so you had to do 10 full activities to completion just to get enough respect to do the story content ( which also took something like 7 hours :v: ). Oh, and you only had a few activities to choose from, so you better hope you really, really like Snatch.

In 2 yeah, you can get 1-50 after fully clearing three activities, and there are something like 10 different types of activity so you'll probably find one you like. It takes around 30 minutes to get enough respect to see everything. Oh and you get invincibility/infinite ammo crazy pistols/infinite ammo crazy smgs for doing some easy activities, so you even get benefits for it!

People have always bitched about this in Saints Row but to me it's just a part of the series. It's how it works. Oh no, I have to play hilarious side games?? You mean I have to PLAY THE GAME before I can PLAY THE GAME?? Never understood this poo poo at all.

edit: VVV SR2 has cruise control, it's driving is already way better than nearly all other open world games.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If only there was a mod that made driving in SR2 actually good, Gentlemen of the Row didn't fix much in that regard.

• Locked thread