Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Bus Pirate is $30, for $55 you can get a Beagle Bone Black which plugs in to your PC in the same way (i.e. SSH in to the device over usb), but can run independent of the PC once you get the code sorted out. Comes with an onboard Python/Javascript IDE, also 4GB of onboard eMMC so you don't have to shell out $8 more for the SD card like you do for the Pi 2 (which is going for $45 on Adafruit right now, so $45 + 8 = $53, and doesn't have the "SSH over usb" capability of the BBB.)

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1996

If you so choose do get the Pi 2 directly from element 14 for $35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Recently the media player built into my LG TV has become unstable and most files go out of sync, there hasn't been a firmware update for months so I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rpi2 with something like XBMC installed, in addition to that I've got rid of my Sky subscription and was wondering if I could use the Rpi as a PVR For Freesat channels provided I got the relevant hardware. At the moment I use an openbox which is terrible for recording.

Does anyone have any idea if this is possible???

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Install OpenELEC on your Pi, buy a £2 MPEG-2 codec from the Pi shop, plug in a compatible DVB-S2 USB stick, install tvheadend from unofficial OpenELEC repo.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Given that we've moved onto the second generation of development boards wouldn't now be a prudent time to kill the thread and make it a generic thread for the Raspberry Pi and other boards: O-Droid, Beaglebone Black, Banana Pi etc etc?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Given that we've moved onto the second generation of development boards wouldn't now be a prudent time to kill the thread and make it a generic thread for the Raspberry Pi and other boards: O-Droid, Beaglebone Black, Banana Pi etc etc?

Yes. Please

Raspberry Pi
Bananna Pi
Odroid C1
Beaglebone Black
ESP8266
Edison/Galileo

Did I miss any? Onion Omega looks neat but I don't think they've even started their Kickstarter yet.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 8, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

There used to be an embedded thread but I can't find it on mobile right now. And why does Arduino get is own thread then?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Hadlock posted:

Yes. Please

Raspberry Pi
Bananna Pi
Odroid C1
Beaglebone Black
ESP8266
Edison/Galileo

Did I miss any? Onion Omega looks neat but I don't think they've even started their Kickstarter yet.

pcDuino?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mantle posted:

There used to be an embedded thread but I can't find it on mobile right now. And why does Arduino get is own thread then?

I think there are a couple separate classes of device: Embedded controllers like Arduino and Edison (and also FPGA boards etc.), and single-board computers like Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone.

Is that worth two threads? I don't know. The uses certainly overlap, since lots of people use SBCs as embedded controllers. But things like JTAG are probably more interesting to one group than another, and the same is true for which Linux media-center UI to use.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think there's a pretty clear difference between an MCU / abstracted-MCU devboard like the Arduino, launchpad, etc. and a SoC computer like the Pi, etc. IMHO they're distinct enough categories to extract into two separate threads, but I don't make the call :)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mantle posted:

There used to be an embedded thread but I can't find it on mobile right now.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500975

Martytoof posted:

I think there's a pretty clear difference between an MCU / abstracted-MCU devboard like the Arduino, launchpad, etc. and a SoC computer like the Pi, etc. IMHO they're distinct enough categories to extract into two separate threads, but I don't make the call :)
They really aren't the same thing. If anything there's probably more crossover between the Embedded thread and the Electronics thread.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.businessinsider.com/raspberry-pi-2-camera-flash-glitch-turns-off-2015-2

This is an interesting flaw. If you take a picture using an Xenon flash it will cause the Pi2 to glitch out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

google for "xenon flash emp" yields two conflicting theories. I agree with the first one, but the second one has interesting osciliscope graphs. Not sure I buy "the raspberry pi is a solar panel!", but the chip acting as an antenna from the EMP blast created by the xenon flash sounds plausible.

quote:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9016171
Ok I think the biggest misconception here is conflating the EMP with the Xenon lamp flash.

The EMP is generated by the lamp/flashing circuit, which is essentially acting like a small (but not atomic) dipole antenna excited by a pulse. Therefore it has a distinctive cut-off frequency, probably in the 10s of Mhz range but I'm not sure exactly (something like this: [1]). This pulse is picked up by wires that act as antenna, and you get RF interference.

The Xenon flash has also a distinct spectrum, but it's essentially contained in the visible light range (in a log-frequency spectral density plot) [2], which is what you want with a lamp! This emission is absorbed by the semiconductor material by exciting bandgaps: displacing electrons causing voltage spikes.

internets posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9015663

Oh neat, I just reproed it with a Pi 2 and a Canon Speedlight flash. I'll put my scope on the power lines and see what's happening when you flash the board. Sounds like from the thread one of the power ICs is photo sensitive.

edit: Wow yeah, here's a look at the 3.3V power line when you flash the board, it drops almost down to 0V and then wildly fluctuates for about 100 nanoseconds:

edit 2: Another interesting measurement, with the board _totally unplugged_ and flashing it you can see a big voltage spike on the 3.3V rail. Up to 6-7 volts or so for a few nanoseconds:

I guess not only can you learn about electronics but also Einstein's photoelectric effect with the Pi 2!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Hadlock posted:

Not sure I buy "the raspberry pi is a solar panel!", but the chip acting as an antenna from the EMP blast created by the xenon flash sounds plausible.
Photodiodes are just exposed p-n junctions. Wikipedia has this to offer:

Wikipedia posted:

Unwanted photodiode effects
Any p–n junction, if illuminated, is potentially a photodiode. Semiconductor devices such as transistors and ICs contain p–n junctions, and will not function correctly if they are illuminated by unwanted electromagnetic radiation (light) of wavelength suitable to produce a photocurrent; this is avoided by encapsulating devices in opaque housings. If these housings are not completely opaque to high-energy radiation (ultraviolet, X-rays, gamma rays), transistors and ICs can malfunction due to induced photo-currents. Background radiation from the packaging is also significant. Radiation hardening mitigates these effects.
This is backed up by one of the guys on the pi forum who was able to prevent the issue by applying putty to the IC that was causing the problem. That wouldn't have worked if it was a EMP problem.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Is it wrong that, despite this being a design flaw, I think it's pretty awesome?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Hadlock posted:

Yes. Please

Raspberry Pi
Bananna Pi
Odroid C1
Beaglebone Black
ESP8266
Edison/Galileo

Cubietruck (and the other cubies)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

YouTuber posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/raspberry-pi-2-camera-flash-glitch-turns-off-2015-2

This is an interesting flaw. If you take a picture using an Xenon flash it will cause the Pi2 to glitch out.

gently caress Business Insider's clickbait headlines.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Yeah, ignore the business insider link. Click here for a direct link to the issue on the RPi forum.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Factory Factory posted:

Is it wrong that, despite this being a design flaw, I think it's pretty awesome?

I needed a power switch. Space saving feature revealed!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

FatUglyUseless posted:

Adafruit has an in stock email notification signup if any one is interested.

Thanks for this :)

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My Odroid arrived today and I'm toying around with it. It's actually smaller than my Raspberry Pi B which surprised me. The case that comes from the same site is both good and bad. It fits and is quite snug in there, no play at all. It even has a breakout for the GPIO if you plan on running a ribbon cable. However it's too loving snug, when I open it up I notice it presses in on the sides and has left marks on the board itself.

I'm debating whether or not I want to remove the Ubuntu install and put Android on it or install OpenElec onto it. The idea always was to replace my Pi with a beefier machine.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Ok guys, quick question that I hope you can answer?

I have to replace my old LaCie LaCinema HD - can't play mp4 files or anything newer than .avi, and deceided to go for a Raspberry Pi B+ setup running Raspbmc.

Does any of you guys have experience in setting a system like that up? I mean, I've ordered the board, case, power supply and Flicr dongle - do I need a keyboard and mouse to set it up?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Kidney Stone posted:

I have to replace my old LaCie LaCinema HD - can't play mp4 files or anything newer than .avi, and deceided to go for a Raspberry Pi B+ setup running Raspbmc.

Does any of you guys have experience in setting a system like that up? I mean, I've ordered the board, case, power supply and Flicr dongle - do I need a keyboard and mouse to set it up?

It's really simple. It's basically network setup and that's it.

If it's connected to a tv that has CEC you can use your remotes control arrows to navigate the setup, however a keyboard will make it much quicker.

You can also get the xbmc/Kodi app for your phone to use it as a remote but I haven't used that personally for a while.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

YouTuber posted:

I'm debating whether or not I want to remove the Ubuntu install and put Android on it or install OpenElec onto it. The idea always was to replace my Pi with a beefier machine.

I got mine last week and it is working like a charm (in headless mode).

Unrelated question: Do any of you guys have trouble feeding the Raspberry Pi B+? Mine is very picky with the USB cables, and does not work with two cables which feed other raspberry pi Bs without any problem. But the B+ does not want to work with those: it enters a reboot loop and never goes beyond the kernel loading (it reboots as soon as it mounts the root partition). Except if I use two specific cables (which are not special in any way btw).

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Amberskin posted:

Unrelated question: Do any of you guys have trouble feeding the Raspberry Pi B+? Mine is very picky with the USB cables, and does not work with two cables which feed other raspberry pi Bs without any problem. But the B+ does not want to work with those: it enters a reboot loop and never goes beyond the kernel loading (it reboots as soon as it mounts the root partition). Except if I use two specific cables (which are not special in any way btw).

Yeah I think they all are. My Rev 2 board was working fine for months with a cable that was coiled up. As soon as I unravelled it it stopped booting and did the same thing you're describing. Replaced it with an identical cable, coiled or uncoiled, and it works fine. It's certainly the most annoying thing about the pi.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kidney Stone posted:

Keyboard and mouse is nice for the setup. I'm doing the same thing except with OpenELEC and the keyboard helps to configure the screen right.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Granite Octopus posted:

Yeah I think they all are. My Rev 2 board was working fine for months with a cable that was coiled up. As soon as I unravelled it it stopped booting and did the same thing you're describing. Replaced it with an identical cable, coiled or uncoiled, and it works fine. It's certainly the most annoying thing about the pi.

I think it comes in second place just after the brittleness of the SD card reader slot. Fortunately the + models use microSD, which seems to be a little bit harder.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Amberskin posted:

I feed 2 B+'s with http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ONY7URU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also powers my Iphone, and LG android at the same time.

No issues at all so far.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Kidney Stone posted:

Does any of you guys have experience in setting a system like that up?

Do yourself a favor and go with OpenELEC on the Pi. Thank me later :)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

eightysixed posted:

Yeah I went through all the different versions when I got my original B model and settled on OpenElec as it was the only one that just worked.

Everything else needed some kind of dicking around to get working.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OSMC is decent as well.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks Ants posted:

OSMC is decent as well.

OSMC is literally XBMC/Kodi with a skin. You can turn off their skin and put Confluence back on if you were so inclined. Don't gently caress around with a middleman tampering with the software and just get OpenElec.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

eightysixed posted:

Good, thanks for letting me know. Might be a good idea, as I really don't wan't to do too much messing around with settings.

Will OpenELEC be able to read movies from a NTFS formatted drive?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I like the new thread title.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kidney Stone posted:

Good, thanks for letting me know. Might be a good idea, as I really don't wan't to do too much messing around with settings.

Will OpenELEC be able to read movies from a NTFS formatted drive?

I use a NTFS thumb drive with no problems.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm running XBMC on Android with this O-Droid doesn't use HW decoding of MPEG2. Might be more prudent to run it under OpenElec or some distro.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
What is a good place to (pre) order a Raspberry Pi 2 that will get one relatively soon and not charge $18 for shipping?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

PBCrunch posted:

What is a good place to (pre) order a Raspberry Pi 2 that will get one relatively soon and not charge $18 for shipping?
MCM Electronics says they're getting them in February 25th and is only charging $10 shipping (for just the board).

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

YouTuber posted:

Hmm running XBMC on Android with this O-Droid doesn't use HW decoding of MPEG2. Might be more prudent to run it under OpenElec or some distro.

The ubuntu image has HW decoders for just about every popular format (including mpeg2) for the C1.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

So why are these available literally everywhere in Sweden? Are they doing some kind of staggered launch?

I'm looking at picking one of these up with a tiny touch screen to make into an always-on IRC client. A sort of Goon IV if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Haquer posted:

The ubuntu image has HW decoders for just about every popular format (including mpeg2) for the C1.

I figured that, Android is just a better platform for multimedia though. The Android app ecosystem is huge compared to the Linux one. Just playing Google Music is far easier in Android compared to Linux. Sure I could download Nuvola Player but it's still not perfect.